Howdy Ya'll

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Howdy Ya'll

Postby Tyrus Willun on March 13th, 2017, 12:08 am

Howdy ya'll!

So, I found this site a about week or two ago because I was reading Game of Thrones, and thought to myself, "Wow, I really like how these books subvert most fantasy tropes and create a unique world. I wonder if there are any RP sites like that. That would be pretty cool." And so, I started looking around and was eventually pointed in the direction of Mizahar here.

Anyhow, Ive been reading through the Lore, trying to work out a character in my head. So far, Im thinking that Im going to go with a man who fancies himself a sort of peacekeeper, as well as trying to create an order of warriors with like minded ideals. Im thinking he would be somewhere between a Witcher and a UN Blue Helmet. He would travel from place to place, killing monsters, settling disputes, and protecting those in danger.

Any suggestions internet hivemind? There is a lot to go through with this site, but Im determined to get into it. Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
Tyrus Willun
Player

Words: 4083
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2017, 12:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Howdy Ya'll

Postby Sayana on March 13th, 2017, 12:17 am

Hey there, welcome to Mizahar :)

Syliras has a knighthood whose key principles are Peace and Order. Syliras the city was actually named after Sylir, the god of Peace and Civilization.

If you're hoping for something more travel oriented, maybe you can be a Syliran knight who visits different cities trying to form diplomatic relations, settle disputes, and help the less fortunate.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Howdy Ya'll

Postby Prophet on March 13th, 2017, 1:14 am

Hey there!

Welcome to Miz. Sayana definitely gave you some good things to investigate. Be sure that you contact the local ST before making up anything to spectacular or taking liberties with an existing group. There's a lot to read and a lot to learn but don't feel rushed into anything. This is definitely a place to take your time and learn what you can before jumping into some roleplay. As always, we welomc eyou to ask questions.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Howdy Ya'll

Postby Ball on March 13th, 2017, 1:26 am

Welcome I also second the whole Syliran Order. Prophet also makes good points as well (even if he is a stinky Rhysol Lover) ;)
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Howdy Ya'll

Postby Gossamer on March 13th, 2017, 2:38 am

Welcome to Miz. I suggest rather than getting lost in a group of individuals you start out as a solo character working his way through the world. To me those types of PCs stand out in the world.

My best advice is to write about what burns within, don't try to conform to what you think the site approves of. We will accept you as soon as we can start to understand the pc. That's how the best stories, best scenes.... unfold. Write for yourself. We just provide the platform.

Goss
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Howdy Ya'll

Postby Tyrus Willun on March 13th, 2017, 2:43 am

Thanks everyone for the friendly welcome, makes a guy feel hopeful about this community already.

Anyways, everyone is suggesting that I look into the Syliran Knights for my character. Problem is, I was looking to make a character that has no ties to any existing groups or organizations. Is there any way I could still make a similar character and subvert being tied to any one group?

I thought being a disgraced Syliran Knights might be a good compromise, and give my character a little more freedom to act on his own. I was looking to make my character a chaotic good type as well, so that would play into his personality. (sorry, I know we're trying to avoid D&D here, but that was the best I could come up with.)
Tyrus Willun
Player

Character sheet

Howdy Ya'll

Postby Tyrus Willun on March 13th, 2017, 2:44 am

Gossamer wrote:Welcome to Miz. I suggest rather than getting lost in a group of individuals you start out as a solo character working his way through the world. To me those types of PCs stand out in the world.

My best advice is to write about what burns within, don't try to conform to what you think the site approves of. We will accept you as soon as we can start to understand the pc. That's how the best stories, best scenes.... unfold. Write for yourself. We just provide the platform.

Goss

Thats what I was planning to do already. I was thinking a knight of some sort, but I dont want to have any ties to already existing groups and organizations.
Tyrus Willun
Player

Character sheet

Howdy Ya'll

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on March 13th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Tyrus,
Welcome! Good luck with your character development. I consider Salara chaotic good... AD&D or no, it's a nice way to define what I might expect of her. I'm also a Witcher player and love Game of Thrones. I'm sure you'll find many of us have similar backgrounds out of Mizahar. Its' the genre after all. Happy writing!
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Howdy Ya'll

Postby Khida on March 14th, 2017, 3:48 am

Yet another person chiming in on this thread... ;) (Also, welcome!)

Tyrus Willun wrote:Anyways, everyone is suggesting that I look into the Syliran Knights for my character. Problem is, I was looking to make a character that has no ties to any existing groups or organizations. Is there any way I could still make a similar character and subvert being tied to any one group?

You can absolutely make a character without existing ties and with any personal goals you see fit. While the Syliran Knights are very prominent IC, not all characters are necessarily well-suited for their ranks -- even those who share some common ideals. It's perfectly legit to just put your character out there and find out what niche he lands in.
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Howdy Ya'll

Postby Reflection on March 20th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Hello! I'm Reflection, AS of Syliras.

Welcome to Mizahar! I hope you have a good time here, I have provided some links below which will be very helpful in getting started in our wonderful world. :)

Useful Links:
-Character Sheet Templates
-Starting Guide
-Starting Package
-Skill List
-Skill Guide

Should you have any questions, feel free to go to the Questions and Answers forum and post there!

For Syliras and Syliran Knights, if you have questions please shoot me a PM. I'll be more than willing to help!

P.s. I don't mind kicking you out of the Syliran Knights :D Just keep in mind that you'd probably be banished if it was something particularly bad, and you'd not be able to keep your title. BUT, if you retire that could be something that you could keep title and still come back to the city. Depends on where you would like to take your PC. If you want to toss some ideas I've got a good sized mitt.
Signature courtesy of Prophet

Reflection
Assistant Storyteller

Words: 88001
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2016, 9:19 pm
Office
Plotnotes