Shards and Spears (Jackson LaCroix)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Dusk on July 27th, 2010, 7:52 pm

Tiaeste caught the apple with a surprised little squeak, cradling it against her chest as she glared at him a moment - as if she didn't understand what he'd just done, was waiting for him to ask for something in return. When he simply turned and strolled away, she stared down at it for another long moment as if unsure what to do with it.

But she finally got herself together and approached the horse the stablehand brought out, gingerly offering it the packhorse. It was snuffled once and then noisily devoured, and it seemed that for a moment the girl didn't even realize she was smiling. It made her look much more her age, softer instead of just thorns and scars, but it disappeared just as quickly as it'd appeared.

She slung her bags off her shoulder and over the packhorse's rump, settling them carefully before tying them on as they should be.

"You've the map, right?" she muttered, glancing over at Jackson, and this time her eyes made it all the way up to the collar of his shirt. "Until we get there I'm just following you."

Were he to open the map, he'd find a clearly marked trail leading out of Syliras and into the Wildlands themselves, due east of the city about ten days' trek. They would be off the road for most of that time, and would likely have to quite thoroughly rough it.

OOCIt's up to you which you'd rather do - we can either RP some more getting-to-know-you stuff, or you can narrate some of the travel and skip ahead to some action, it's totally up to you!
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Jackson LaCroix on August 3rd, 2010, 12:28 am

Traveling through the outskirts and depths of the countryside provided more quiet ease then LaCroix would have roughly admitted to. The journey to the east was filled with a consortium of tracks, some found and others forged. He instinctively used natural landmarks to frequent and reposition the trio between merchant wagons, chased herds of plant eating mammals, hunting shadows, and campfires of gluttonous moonshine filled raiders. Foraging for nuts and berries, he fed the horse and made certain the girl didn’t loose weight. At nights when they fed upon smoked food and grain he set up snares for rabbit, washing foraged herbs and vegetables within the streams of fresh water that poured almost frequently through the seams that cleaned away their scent. Other days he had to dig for water, using the skills that had kept him alive as both an efficiently hungry predator and full prey.

The foundation of rock was in some way serene as was the flexibility of a water’s spring. The simplest themes and elements were somehow the strongest and most evocative when experienced for the first time. The variety of terrain kept their trek moving like an anthem to it’s verse, interlocked through the singularity of instruments combining wet moss under the breakers, dry bark basked unto the rhythmic sun and the consistency of earth that reacted to every note.

He respected the girl’s space, but did nothing to stop the odd branch from bending off his leg to hit her arm. Sometimes it tickled, other times it probably hurt, leaving whatever bond that forged them together rise surprisingly up like a geyser and fall as fast as a thrown stone to earth. The things people did that transcended words or didn’t add up to a full sentence came as swiftly as a scalpel or crashed as slowly as age. Meaning was measured in more then skin but the flesh beneath. The simplest gift of a grain of sand could transcend the castle or even the empty tide. So between them, it was utilitarian yet unmentionably strange to share even a meal with someone that he hadn’t planned on killing or extorting. The feeling that had trailed him like signaling smoke made sense now. She looked unsettling similar to a woman Jackson had known on the inside, down face first against the water’s surface of lake ravok. It was a coincidence to those who believed in them, to Jax it had to stay firmly business.

Looking up from around the fire on their seventh night out, the horse nudged it’s nose against his cheek and the man smirked. “Never should have fed the horse that apple.. can’t get it’s appetite out of the saddlebag.” He knocked his forehead against the whiney of it’s muzzle, laughing unexpectedly like a quickly opened gift. “You treat him better then yourself.”

One afternoon Cross stopped near a hidden pond, letting the beast regain it’s strength while the light tingled through the spaces between leaves, turning to the child in thought. “Watch .”

He moved calve deep into the sway and dived under it’s water, then as the bubbling seconds passed fluently into an imposing lack of breathe, out rose a wet man to the belly who while still, pressed up revealing the length of a horse. Half equine and half man, LaCroix had used their stallion as a morph model over the last week, rebuilding the bone and muscular structure of the horse. It’s fur was rich brown tinged blond under the light, agile and strident.

“I’m sick of walking.. aren’t you?”
Jackson LaCroix
Player

Words: 31983
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2010, 5:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dusk on October 4th, 2010, 12:41 am

Tiaeste was as quiet and surly for most of the trip as she had been in the beginning. There were moments when her veneer would slip, and a soft smile would reveal a glimpse of the woman she might have been if tragedy had not befallen her so young. Kindnesses shown her were met with suspicion, though she never turned them away. But neither did she open up to him, not yet.

She adored the horse, though, becoming fast friends with him. She'd spend an hour each evening brushing him out and checking him over - though she hadn't a clue what she was supposed to be looking for, just that she'd seen people with horses do such things.

When they stopped in front of the pool, she'd loosened the saddle's girth and settled down among the roots of one of the trees beside the water's edge, leaning her temple against the scratchy bark. She was half-dozing within seconds, exhausted, but she opened her eyes when she heard Jackson's voice again.

And when she saw him arise from the water, half-man and half-horse, she let out a terror-stricken scream, eyes wide with panic, and began scrambling clumsily backwards. The horse snorted and balked at the sound of her shrill cries, eyes rolling nervously as he tried to decide whether he wished to bolt or not.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Nisaba on December 11th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Grade Complete: XP Award!

Name: Jackson LaCroix

XP Award
Interrogation- 5 XP
Wilderness Survival- 2 XP
Morphing- 1 XP

Jackson spent most of the first couple of pages demanding answers about the "job," like what he was going to be doing and how it was going to be done, either with intimidation techniques or by just simply asking questions. That process earned him five points in interrogation. The long post that was almost entirely dedicated to the trip and the traveling progress earned him two wilderness survival points for the way he was taking care of himself and his travel companions. At the end, he did morph into a half-horse which got him a point in morphing. If I missed anything, please just let me know.

Lore Award
Being Contracted for a Job
Employer’s Disdain
Constant Interaction with One Not Hired to Kill

Additional Note:
So short. I was sad to see it end since there was so much more that was supposed to happen! It’s like a book with a beginning and part of a middle but no ending. I liked how the plot kept progressing quickly, even with the addition of “getting to know you” dialogue. This could have been a really great thread if it was continued.
I just started a new job where I occassionally work 12hour shifts (somehow?)- so please bear with me. I'll probably only be able to hardcore grade/be online on the weekends and other times I'll only get to about 1 thread per night. If there's anything that needs immediate attention, please PM me and I'll bump it up the list. Thanks in advance for the understanding. ^_^
Nisaba
Retired Staff

Words: 32038
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2010, 2:56 am
Office

Previous