OOC Info [Alvadas] False Impressions

For all your OOC chatter!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Alvadas] False Impressions

Postby Kaleidoscope on April 25th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Hi all!

Welcome to Alvadas Sorla, we're happy to have you. :) There are lots of lovely people here so don't be afraid to PM people for threads.

-Speaking of lovely people:

Here's a shout-out to the graders in the city- thank you so much! We got the grade queue down to two pages, which feels a lot more manageable. Here's to lots of lovely grade rewards.

___

Now, there were quite a few grades that had to be withheld because of ledger problems. I want to discuss a few things. I think you might agree with me that job threads are probably one of the least appealing things about the game. There's a few of you that will enjoy them, and props to you! But I can speak personally and say that I find them quite tedious. Whether that's because they are that lurking thread with the set word limit, or because you find yourself repeating the same thing over and over...

Then because job threads slide, you can't collect wages for those threads, and then ledgers grow dust and grades can't be awarded. It's a vicious circle.

I'm considering a few reforms to jobs in Alvadas, none of which are set in stone, and which might not be appealing anyway. But first, I wanted to hear your thoughts- use your imagination and think outside the box. What kind of things could spice up job threads? Seasonal jobs, i.e. a different job in Summer or Winter? A job notice board?

EDIT: Prophet kindly pointed out to me, dunce that I am, that the actual format of job threads is a game-wide thing and cannot be changed. This means that job threads still have to be 2x2500 word job threads. :)

~Kal
Alvadas | Linkmap | Calendar
Ahnatep | Linkmap | OOC
Office
~
Stepped down from ST roles: 1/9/2017
Thanks for all the fish.
Kaleidoscope
Taking a Bow

Words: 320260
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2016, 6:13 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 25th, 2017, 9:38 pm

I agree job threads are hellishly tedious. But I don't think it's necessarily the job that makes it boring, but the fact that you're doing it alone. Madeira has a seriously kick ass job but I am way more invested with her threads with other characters than will ever be with her puttering around on her own.

So, how about we do job threads together? In a two-birds-one-stone kind of way. Either by opening an advertisment style thread listing our characters with their skills and profesion that people can browse for partners. Or we could do a lottery where you submit your character and have to thread with your selected partner. I mean, we are all creative types here, we could fit any two jobs together in a single thread. Especially in Alvadas. As an example, say the two lottery partners are-

Prostitute + Streetsweeper = The prostitute must try to solicit clients while the sweeper defends them from enroaching waves of sentient gelitine.

Cobbler + Masseur = A crazy old eccentric consults the two profesionals on his invention of self massaging shoes.

Dancer + Animal Handler = The Crooked Playhouse decides to incorperate live animals into their act.

Woodcarver + Painter = The two must work together for a rich old lady who commissions a set of painted clogs for her pet leopard.

The possiblities are endless. And then we could potentially have fun with these instead of endlessly procrastinating. :p
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Dexius on April 25th, 2017, 11:21 pm

I have to agree with Maddy. I'm terrible at writing any kind of solos so at this point I'm trying to relegate all my job threads to partner threads. My summer job threads are finally coming to a finish after stagnating for almost a whole year. Poor little things.

Partner threads are just way more fun to me as a writer so I guess it makes it hard to want to write solos for anything.
"Strength is born of those with a burdened soul"
"Weakness is born of those with a perfect smile"
This is Thought
This is Common
This is Symenos
Dexius
Embracing the fear, chasing the fight

Words: 115381
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 2:21 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Prophet on April 25th, 2017, 11:48 pm

Just to add my two cents...Cause it's worth more than the spider's dollar :D... my main PC never does job threads solo.

To save Kal time that she can use to do other things like SS threads, develop locations and run quests, players could simply advertise in the OOC each season or periodically in the same manner that I see when someone is pursuing seasonal challenges.

"Hey guys! Our city rocks! Speaking of boulders, who wants to help Jocko with his mining? I have a few ideas but busting rocks by myself is boring." Savvy?

That is all.

P.S. :
#RhysolLife #LakeCityBestCity #WhiteEyedBrilliance
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Dexius on April 26th, 2017, 1:01 am

What if we had a separate OOC thread for players looking to do job threads together?

Just a spitball idea.
"Strength is born of those with a burdened soul"
"Weakness is born of those with a perfect smile"
This is Thought
This is Common
This is Symenos
Dexius
Embracing the fear, chasing the fight

Words: 115381
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 2:21 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sayana on April 26th, 2017, 1:16 am

Hey :)

I couldn't help but glance at the OOC chatter about job threads.

I fully agree that job threads can be great partner threads. After all, you made your character with this skillset because you probably thought it was a cool concept. Why not enjoy threading about it?

And if you get bored of said concept (or said job threads), what's to stop you from picking a new career path? Lately I've had Sayana switch jobs numerously because she tries out new things and her goals change.

As for the OOC thread specific to jobs... Honestly, isn't that one of the functions of the Character Registry? You just got to scroll down the character registry and glance at everyone's occupation and stir up some ideas followed by a PM.

Don't be afraid or shy to PM people. Most people get excited about the prospect of starting new and exciting threads :P And if they don't... PM then next person and meet someone new :)
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Yisanareysin on April 26th, 2017, 8:58 pm

I definitely think that job threads would be a lot more fun with other people, but the big problem I've run up with with collaborative job threads is that if life happens and people drop off, that's a huge problem for the person who remains. I'd be inclined to say that for collaborative job threads, we should have a shorter grace period so we're not waiting months for each other?
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Enola on April 30th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Hello Alvadans,

New Pycon herbalist has arrived and is looking for thread partners.

I'm up for anything. Also if your character is interested in any herbalism based threads, be it your character suffering stomach cramps, or needing fixed up after using a carving knife poorly. More than willing to try and come up with a thread that fulfills the job thread needs.

But really anything that is fun I'm game for.

Enola
Enola
Player

Words: 12438
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2017, 2:36 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Allister on May 10th, 2017, 3:02 am

As if this city needed another weirdo...

I will be joining your rowdy crew come Summer. I haven't written on a forum in quite some time and am not exactly sure what to expect out of my character. I do know that I want to assault someone with projection. |:)

Having said that, I will continue to pour over the lore (local and gamewide) as well as read up on my future thread partners. A very wise person once told me to always write like your character's life depended on your words.
I'll be seeing you soon, Alvads...

Very soon.
Pain without love is meaningless
Love without pain is selfish
Allister
The Answer to Boredom

Words: 243321
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2017, 2:31 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Enola on May 10th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Looking for Job Thread friends

So as Madeira Craven suggested earlier here (seen below), I'm looking for a couple of people that may want to try and concoct joint work threads together. My character is an herbalist, so there can usually be a wide variety of connections of found. If you're interested, please let me know.

Source :
So, how about we do job threads together? In a two-birds-one-stone kind of way. Either by opening an advertisment style thread listing our characters with their skills and profesion that people can browse for partners. Or we could do a lottery where you submit your character and have to thread with your selected partner. I mean, we are all creative types here, we could fit any two jobs together in a single thread. Especially in Alvadas. As an example, say the two lottery partners are-

Prostitute + Streetsweeper = The prostitute must try to solicit clients while the sweeper defends them from enroaching waves of sentient gelitine.

Cobbler + Masseur = A crazy old eccentric consults the two profesionals on his invention of self massaging shoes.

Dancer + Animal Handler = The Crooked Playhouse decides to incorperate live animals into their act.

Woodcarver + Painter = The two must work together for a rich old lady who commissions a set of painted clogs for her pet leopard.

The possiblities are endless. And then we could potentially have fun with these instead of endlessly procrastinating. :p
Enola
Player

Words: 12438
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2017, 2:36 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext