Closed [Craven Manor] Charnel Vapors (Madeira)

Hurik begins hunting for the past with a pretty girl.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Craven Manor] Charnel Vapors (Madeira)

Postby Hurik on April 10th, 2017, 12:40 am

2nd of Spring, 517 AV

The second night after the Festival of Illusion began was always more or less haggard, despite Alvads' famed reputation for parties, and the Craven Manor was no exception. Though on any given day, one would expect that the place of residence for the Craven Family would be bleaker than most, on this particular day and at this particular bell, the place seemed to sag. Ionu him or herself (itself?) would most likely be sleeping off the splendour of the festival's beginning, making ready for his next work of mischief in whatever illusory plane the god chose to inhabit. And so it was that in this empty space between inhalations, some otherworldly breath gasped forth...

Hurik glided softly through the grass of the manor's lawn, and ignored gates, fences, and the like. Shrubbery and green things, such that they were, he also ignored. Though the foliage did curl slightly as he passed it by, and the leaves crackled quietly in his wake. Madeira had said that it was at this estate that she could be found, and so Hurik hoped that he would indeed find her. Since their last meeting, it had taken him a while to gather himself after wandering the city. But now, he felt that the time had come to seek her assistance. He needed to find more things from his past, and if his gut was worth anything, Hurik knew that somewhere in Alvadas, an identical copy of the amulet bouncing on his chest presently could be found. That among other things, Hurik hoped, such as something that could be used to help him find the whereabouts of those he'd seen in his vision.

The vision where the woman he had loved, had died in his arms. He still knew nothing of her, save her face, and the feeling of utter despair that took him when he saw her pass.

His mists, soulmist, as spiritists called it, were much easier to manipulate now, at least compared to when he had first materialized. Hurik liked to think of it as his essence of life. Wherever he focused the mists, his body became more alive. They were his tether to the mortal plane, and also his key to feeling like himself again. There was more of the stuff too, some of which had been gifted to him by Madeira, and some of which, it seemed, naturally but very slowly grew within him. At the moment, the mists curled tight about his amulet, such that if a flesh and blood being saw the jewel, they might be tempted to reach out and grab it. The other place the mists focused, was behind his face. It was a test Hurik was performing, to see how strong he really was.

Upon materializing, something in Hurik, his inner self, had willed him into his own likeness. He had just known how he looked and the soulmist had made it so. Hurik reasoning then, was that if he could hold fast to his own self-image, he might also be able to alter it at his own will. Earlier that day, Hurik had spent four whole bells studying a man's nose. It was a bulbous thing, very little like Hurik's own aquiline sniffer. In the end, inspection revealed something more like a rotten tomato above his mouth. Still some semblance of relief filled Hurik that he could change his nose at all, and it was with a greater sense of satisfaction that he had restored his own proper noble nose. Further study of tomato noses and a considerably larger allocation of soulmist than Hurik was comfortable with had yielded better results, though the nose was still an off-shade in comparison to his natural skin tone. More disconcertingly, the edges of his hands and feet fizzled the more he tried to get the nose right. At last he snarled rude words to himself and decided to focus on maintaining his tomato nose as best he could on his way to Craven Manor.

The house had an imposing entrance with a large veranda and tiled roofing, and a large set of double doors stood in Hurik's way. The lights in the house, if there were any, were not visible to him, and the shadows were long. Had there been any other eerie manors standing nearby, he might almost have convinced himself he'd approached the wrong property. "No master ghost, that manor has been abandoned for nine long years after Master Norris fell out of bed and broke his pelvis." Hurik had a good chuckle at that. He eyed the hardwood and examined his fizzling fist unhappily. Letting the tomato nose slip away for the briefest of moments, Hurik drove his arm at the door with all his incorporeal might. The wood gave a slight tep noise.

Hurik howled like a kicked dog.

In the back of his mind, as he caused enough of a ruckus to be heard clean away in Wind Reach, he focused his soulmist back from his burning knuckles into his face, replacing the tomato nose as best he could, reflection absent. But the majority of his conscious efforts were devoted to cradling his wounded hand and whimpering pathetically. I can only guess what she's thinking right now.

All credit goes to the amazing Arisia!
Hurik
Shade of a Silver-Tongued Bastard

Words: 59376
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2017, 8:47 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 11th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Every native Avalad knew that the Festival of Illusion was not a race, but a test of endurance. One did not jump in feet-first into the best party on Mizahar expecting to still be standing several weeks later. You had to ease into it, you had to stretch your sanity but not break it, you had to drink but not be drunk, you had to go in expecting nothing and prepared for anything. Only then might you survive Alvadas.

Naturally, Madeira broke rule one on the first day. And rule two on the second.

A howling cry, like some large, suffering animal, dragged Madeira into screaming consciousness. With a yelp she rolled off the settee some helpful servant had deposited her on, smearing her face on the plush Kenashian carpet. The tumble had set the room to spinning. Apparently she was still a little drunk.

"Careful there Mr.Craven", a ghost of a young girl gazed mournfully out the window to the front steps, where the noise had come from. "Seems we have a visitor."

"What?" Madeira crawled upright, shaking the cobwebs from her brain. She might be coming down with something, her voice was raspy and low. "What, a ghost? Your kind don't typically knock."

The little girl shrugged, not turning from the window. "He's got a big red beard."

"Oh no."

In a tick Madeira had bolted from the room on wobbly legs, and in a chime she was half running, half walking to the door. With every few steps she was shooing away servants and curious ghosts who all wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Luckily most of the residents had disappeared into the frothy depths of the celebration and were not in the Manor.  

"Of all the days. Why during the festival!" she grumbled, her voice dropping to angry octaves she had never reached before. One hand held tight to the bannister as she descended the sweeping stairs in the front lobby. She was sobering up quickly, but the ground still undulated uncertainly, and looked sightly farther away.

With a bang Madeira threw open one side of the heavy double doors, likely catching the intruding ghost in the face.

"Hurik! What are you doing here at this time of-"

The Spiritist paused, squinting at the apparition on the doorstep. Slowly a bulbous nose came into focus, where it hung sad and defeated in the middle of the man's face. She wobbled slightly and held onto the doorframe for support as a giggle rumbled up from her throat.

"My, don't you look silly."

She rubbed along her jaw, trying to massage herself into sobriety. But as she felt the unfamiliar definition under her fingertips, she began to realize that something was wrong. With one confused hand she smoothed over the front of her white blouse and realized that something was definitely wrong.     

Madeira was inexplicably, undeniably, male. She was a couple inches taller, evidenced by the ankles exposed at the bottom of her pants. What little hip she previously had was taken away and given to her underwhelming shoulders, at once straining her blouse and loosening her trousers. Her red rimmed eyes and long blonde hair was still in evidence, but her lips had lost their rosy tint and her jaw had been filed to a sharp edge. Madeira's eyebrows (now thick, untamed ridges on her face) closed together as her wine-slogged brain tried to work through the implications. No, something was still wrong with this... 

Realization hit her as she continued to rub with increasing dissatisfaction at her baby-smooth cheeks. "What, I'm now a grown man but Ionu doesn't think I can grow a beard? How rude. I could definitely grow a bead if I wanted too..." She growled in her new, deeper voice before addressing the ghost properly.

"So, Hurik, what do you need? Or are you just screaming on my doorstep, on a festival night, at this god forsaken hour, just for kicks?" She began sinking into the doorframe and righted herself with a start before she could slide to the floor. "It's me, Madeira, by the way." she waved away the inevitable question. "And you still look silly." 
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hurik on April 12th, 2017, 2:02 pm

2nd of Spring, 517 AV

Hurik heard the door slam open and froze in place. He was still nursing his stinging hand but there had been minimal loss of soulmist, thankfully. He was about to open his mouth to ask after Madeira when he did a double take at the person standing in the door. They looked nearly identical to Madeira, but in every way that one could, they were different. Specifically, the person in the door was a man. A very skinny, short, frail-looking man, but most definitely a man.

The man addressed Hurik by name, commented on his appearance, and then grew very suddenly alarmed. The man began to run his hands all over his body seeming to become aware of themselves in a more complete sense. Now the man expressed his outrage at being unable to grow a beard, and Hurik couldn't help but think that this individual had bigger problems than lack of facial hair.

Hurik's concerns were calmed then, by his (her?) confirmation that he was in fact Madeira. Confusing to say the least, but probably explicable. Hurik had to remind himself that this was the city of illusion, and that this new transformation was hopefully temporary. Especially considering how disturbingly attracted he now was to a male-seeming individual. His admiration of her pale, ethereal beauty was no weaker than before, though the impression was slightly dampened by her disheveled state of dress. And cheekbones. When last they'd met, Hurik had been at a loss, with a slipping grip on reality. Now that he was thankfully more accustomed to his state of being, he was ready to begin moving forward. That required seeking out Madeira, regardless of her current sex. She was after all, the only person he'd talked to in Alvadas.

Her question needed answering, but before he did, he let the tomato nose fall away to let his regular sniffer fill in the space. Much better. He thought, feeling his soulmist stretch out nicely through the rest of his form. His hand stung less.

"My spiritist dearest, you wound me. I wound me, in fact. Hence the screaming. Your door's bite is like that of a rusty sword." Hurik raised his hand as a proof of this, and saw that it looked perfectly normal. He made a face, and continued, "In any event, I've come to you because I have need of your special skills. I was hoping that you might be able to help me track down my old possessions, and if so, could be troubled to move them to a place for safekeeping that I could access as I please. I can definitely recall at the very least, having this," Hurik picked up his amulet and held it out in the moonlight. "On my person when I died." Hurik took a step closer, and stooped down to examine Madeira's face intently. "And along the way, perhaps we can find the solution to making you lovely again."

A low throaty chuckle, deeper by an octave even than Madeira's newly masculine voice, bubbled up from Hurik. "A beard would not suit you, man or not. Will you be joining me this evening? Do you need anything from within?" Hurik's eyes flicked up over Madeira's shoulder, and he spied the forms of several undeniably ghostly figures peeking out at him. "Are you entertaining...guests?"

Hurik

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 18th, 2017, 11:22 pm

A frown appeared on Madeira's lip and her forehead collected new lines as she listened to Hurik. He needed her help again. Ok. Yes. This was important. This was another key to his past. This was another step to his final rest. He needed her. He needed her and she was drunk and half asleep and male.

Oh gods.

"Yes, I'll be joining you. Of course I will." Madeira stood straight and nodded sharply, squinting to keep Hurik (and his normal nose) in focus. "I just need... I just need one tick."

With a snap she closed the door in his face.

Turning around and leaning her back against the sturdy door she saw what might have been half the resident ghosts crowded in the foyer, trying to catch a glimpse of the ghost outside.

"Out you vultures! Shht!" she hissed like an angry goose as she fumbled for her feather cloak on the tall coatrack by the door. Then she knelt carefully, keeping one hand on the wall for balance, and inspected the rucksack she brought with her. Inside she had a jar with three sticky black dough balls and her long string of soulbeads, as well as some personal items she brought, since she had been expecting to be sleeping somewhere other than her home tonight. She did not have her bow or her arrows, but that hardly mattered. This was to simply be a hunt for lost possessions with a kind, civil ghost. Nothing could go wrong.

Her golden, feathered cloak billowed in an invisible breeze as she crawled her way up the wall to a standing position. With a muffled curse she threw the bag over her shoulder and took a tick to straighten her clothing as best she could. She opened the collar of her blouse to give her shoulders some much needed room, and tried to readjust her boots so it didn't feel like her suddenly larger feet were being chewed on by hungry dogs.

Finally packed and as presentable as she was ever going to be, Madeira threw open the door a second time. Her face was set like she was going to war.

“Ok, lets go.” The door swung shut behind, which did not keep the nosiest of the resident ghosts from drifting through to watch. Before the night was out her entire family would know Hurik and speculate on what kind of company their youngest kept. Madeira didn’t spare them any words, but walked with her back straight and her eyes firmly at her feet as she picked her way carefully over the uneven path. She motioned for Hurik to follow. And it was only when she was sure that she was out of earshot that she spoke.

“These are certainly not my guests. I don’t live here anymore. No, those are my family’s…” she paused, tracing a finger in front of her as if she could poke the appropriate word out of the air. “Familiars. Servants, maybe. They trade favours for favours, favours for soulmist…” that finger swirled away, an endless loop of ‘ect’ played out with her pale hand.

“But that’s no im-im-important” she stifled a boozy yawn, and sucked a lungful of crisp evening air to fortify herself. “What made you resolve to find your possessions tonight. Do you know where we should start looking?”
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Hurik on April 19th, 2017, 2:35 am

2nd of Spring, 517 AV

Hurik waited patiently for Madeira as she stormed back in the house. He could've sworn he heard her hiss something. He hadn't even sharpened his hearing to its living potential, if it could be called that. She must've been unimpressed with somebody. He shook his head incredulously, wondering whether he dreaded or anticipated being on the wrong end of that whip of a girl's temper. She reappeared several moments later, and sporting ill-fitting clothing for her now masculine frame.

Hurik unabashedly stared at the larger-than-normal gap open in her blouse, for possibly a full five ticks before realizing what he was actually doing. His gaze flicked up in a flash and he started at her fierce expression. Unsure whether she'd noticed his ogling, he decided to follow wordlessly. Madeira explained in a shorthand fashion the arrangement ghosts and the Cravens had, though apparently not Madeira herself.

A few thoughts sprung up into Hurik's head, and they were petching hard to swallow. "Do the Cravens exchange sexual favours?" and "Isn't it a little stupid to recommend somebody who's a stranger to the city meet you at a place that isn't even your residence?" Whether he had more self-control than he gave himself credit for, or if the gods, maybe Ionu himself, had something worse planned for later, Hurik knew not. With great fortune, he surmised, he had managed to keep his thoughts to himself. She asked what had made him decide to find his possessions, and flush with pride at his capacity to keep his mind to himself, Hurik spoke without thinking.

"Oh I was actually more concerned with seeing you agai-"

Hurik froze mid-phrase, and inwardly his beast of manners was practically tearing up his guts and playing catch with something he vaguely recalled being his conscience. Despite himself, the excess soulmist still lingering about his cheeks caused a hot blush which he willed away in an instant. But in the middle of the pause, Hurik forged ahead, determined to act as natural as possible. "More concerned with seeing you again, seeing as you're probably the only person I've seen in this city who looks at a ghost twice. You'd think more people would be taken aback by this–" Hurik brushed his hand from side to side, casting soulmist gently through the air about him. "But Alvads it would seem, are fairly unflappable. Not that their lips don't flap frequently enough. Some people never shut up." Yes, double down. Brace for the worst. That always worked when the wife caught me lazing about in the tent.

Without warning, the briefest flash of his wife, that was his mystery woman he was certain, came into his vision. With it came the smell of blood and upturned earth. Hurik heard an indistinct whisper, followed by "–Hurik."

Hurik blinked and found himself still walking with Madeira. The vision had lasted a split-second. Not nearly enough to be helpful, but plenty enough to unsettle him. How did I die? Trying to avenge my wife perhaps? What if I found the killer and he proved to outmatch me in skill? Of what skill am I even thinking? Was I a fighter? Hurik recollected the battlefield in his vision, and the men in armour about him. Yes, definitely. So then, maybe I went looking for a fight? Hurik sighed. Aside from anything Madeira could come up with, he was at a loss.

"Do you know where a grieving man would go looking for a fight?"

Boxcode credit: Roselina.

Hurik

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 22nd, 2017, 2:07 am

Madeira indeed had noticed Hurik staring into her blouse with all the finesse of a teenage boy. But now that she was also a teenage boy, she found she didn't care. She was quickly becoming disassociated with this body, and it was only partly the alcohol's fault. This body was the costume she would parade about and show off until she lost it. In here she wasn't Madeira, Craven heir and family disappointment. She was something else.

So she did not rip the insolent Hurik to ghostly ribbons as she might have a bell ago, but moved on with nary a roll of her eyes.

He tripped over his words for a moment, and she caught that, too. He saved himself in the end, but not before his cheeks lit up with opaque mist. She was becoming more and more aware that this strange creature had a crush on her. She had inklings when she met him the first time, first by his... She mentally shook herself to clear the thought of his soul-scaring ghostly arousal from her mind. But she also felt it when he called her beautiful as she gave him his first taste of soulmist. She also remembered what had immediately popped into her mind when the realization first hit her; that his attraction could be useful. Another tether that could tie him to her and maybe, just maybe, make him her first familiar.

So she turned her head, taking her eyes on the treacherous ground for a long tick, and smiled at him. And in that wide and gentle smile she was almost female again. Until her long legs stumbled and she was forced to right herself on the gate at the end of the long cobbled walk. And once again she was a skinny male with unfocused eyes.

They had turned onto the main street before Hurik spoke again. Unfortunately, he had no idea where his amulet could be. But even through the wine simmering in her brain she heard the insinuation in his question.

Do you know where a grieving man would go looking for a fight?

Grieving man

He was grieving.

He had lost someone.

She looked at him with the same eyes that studied him last season, and while she filed this insight away as something that would be useful for his eventual exorcism, her eyes were bright with something sad and genuine. She would not bring it up now, however. These things took some delicacy and privacy that the howling streets of a festival-clogged Alvadas did not support. Instead she asked the question that was burning on her tongue.

...looking for a fight.

"Hurik... I know you said we were looking for your possessions. But… are we actually looking for your corpse?" She remembered last season, where a psychotic episode where he manifested as a broken man dripping blood. If he was grieving, and if he was as broken as his manifestation, he did not die gently.

As for where grieving men go, that took some thought. The two dodged dancing revellers and late night performers twirling fire and mysteriously glowing balls as she pondered the question. It really depended on the type of griever. If she herself had lost someone important, she might find refuge in the Temple. But Hurik did not seem the type. Where did hard-bitten, flippant and grieving men go to be killed?

"Ionu's Wager", the Spiritist said with an unconscious curl of her lip. "They go to Ionu's Wager. It's a gambling house. It's... Well, it has a reputation."

It didn't take long to find, once Madeira knew what she was looking for. Alvadas itself seemed to push them forward. But the lifelong Avalad couldn't tell if it was helpfulness or amusement that compelled the Wager closer. In less than fifteen ticks she saw the tall, unassuming house. The paint was a peeling green, the white eves and railing were in desperate need of a wash, and there was no sign of business or of welcome. She knew the place, most did, but she had never even thought of venturing inside.

Madeira mounted the steps and knocked on the worn white door. Almost immediately a flap was pulled back at eye level and a pair of muddy brown eyes looked the two over with appraising suspicion.

“What’s the password?”

“What?” Madeira blinked rapidly. She wasn’t expecting to be questioned at the door. The man on the other side laughed snidely.

"A young man like you wanted to get in here once, but he didn't know the password either." the voice spoke, cigar smoke curling around the mocking eyes. "But then another man walked to the door, and I say to him ‘twelve’, and ask for the password. The man said ‘six’ and I let him in." The buzzing sound of someone shuffling a deck of cards filtered through. Madeira tried to see around the man blocking the door, but the room was too dimly lit to see. "Another bloke walked up. I tell him 'six' and he say's 'three'. I let him in too. Now that young man comes swaggering back, cocky as you please. I tell him ‘ten' and ask for the password. He answers 'five'. But that wasn't the password, so I slammed the latch and didn’t let that smarmy prick in. Now I say to you: ‘eight’.” smoke billowed from the latch. “Now, whats the password?”

Madeira could only see his muddy eyes, but she could hear the smile in his voice. Damn it all, it was a riddle. Her blunt fingers massaged her temple, willing her brain to sober up and co-operate. Damn it all, what was the answer?

OOCRiddle time! Asking the internet for help will make you a dirty cheat.
;)
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Hurik on April 29th, 2017, 6:52 pm

2nd of Spring, 517 AV

Hurik followed Madeira through the streets and they found themselves arriving at, presumably, Ionu's Wager. If he had memories of the place, they didn't come to to him. His only sense of the place was a vague and underlying pretense of danger which while probably endemic to Alvadas, seemed exaggerated here. He could understand why this was Madeira's first guess. This place exuded a tension, held within white knuckles, but whether the grip was one of desperation or of anger, Hurik could not say.

Madeira climbed the steps and a man opened a slat in the door. The man's voice was not overly loud, but Hurik heard his every word perfectly. Madeira was rubbing her temple in frustration, and Hurik could guess just from her behaviour thus far that she wasn't in her best state of mind. Funny... I didn't take her for a heavy drinker...

Hurik took a breath, a reflexive action, unnecessary, but it centred him. So, a man walks up, gets told twelve, replies six, and enters. Another man walks up, gets told six, replies three, and enters. However, the man who comes back gets told ten, replies five, and is shut out. And now we're being told eight. Well petch me, it's a numbers game! I used to love these, even when I was young! Gods, that seems like a million years ago... Focus!

So, 12 and 6. 6 and 3. 10 and... What? Not five, which means it can't be a half of the given number. This fellow behind the door has given us that clue, with his smarmy reject example. But then, what connects the correct numbers? What numbers fit into 12? 1 and 12, 2 and 6, 3 and 4. That gives me 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12. What numbers fit into 6? 1 and 6. 2 and 3. That gives me 1, 2, 3, 6. So it can't be the fourth number in that ordered list. But there has got to be a pattern, hasn't there?
Hurik found himself tapping his fingers unconsciously against his thigh. He bit his lip, and ran through the list once more. A long pregnant moment passed, and then Hurik heard the slat scraping closed. "WAIT!"

Hurik rushed up next to Madeira, and held up his hand. "I have it! I have it!"

Shyke, do I actually have it? 1, 2, 3, make 6. 1 and 2 make 3. So with 8, I've got 1, 2, 4, and 8. 1 and 2 make 3... He's saying that the answer isn't 4, but if this pattern holds true... Then the password is– "THREE! The password is three! Am I wrong? And your smarmy lad should've said... one, two, five, ten... Eight! That is, if the system is first three, then first two, and so on. I must say, this is a wonderful way to weed out the shyke gamblers, if that is the purpose of this exercise." Hurik waited with bated breath for the man's response. A sensation of nostalgia was coursing through him, making him feel warm and content. Who had done this with him, playing numbers games, and helping to find patterns? His desire to remember was overwhelming, but for once, his mind revealed nothing.

Hopefully, locating my possessions should make this easier.

Hurik

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on May 2nd, 2017, 8:27 pm

Madeira barely heard Huriks answer. The Spiritist was deep in her own thoughts, muttering under her breath and reduced to counting on her fingers. The man behind the door heard him just fine, though. A thick black eyebrow travelled up his forehead.

"My my, aren't you clever." The brown eyes look Hurik over with amusement. "Too clever, in fact. That's not the password, Chief.  Now come closer, let me tell you a secret." The eyes disappeared and surprisingly white teeth filled the gap instead, framed in a sardonic smile. His voice dropped to a conspiratorial whisper. "Ya see, shyke gamblers are kind of our bread and greasy butter here. Can't have winners without loser, can we? Now pack up and get the petch off this porch."

There was a scrape as the latch was dragged shut, then a sickening crunch and a grunt of pain as Madeira shoved her fingers into the rapidly closing slat. "Wait! WAIT! I haven't given my answer yet!” She hissed through her teeth, which were clenched hard against the pain, and shouted through the sliver of light that still illuminated the deck.

"It's not about the numbers, it's about the words! There are six letters in twelve, three letters in six, and three letters in ten. E-i-g-h-t! It’s five! The password is five! Now for the love of Ionu let go of my hand."

There was a roar of laughter on the other side of the door. "Well now, aren't you lucky you're dumber than Red here! You're in, kid. Now kiss your boyfriend goodbye, he gets to stay outside." There was a muffled rattling of chains and a click of a lock before the door was swung open just enough for the two on the porch to see the shadowy form of their gatekeeper lit by the ember of his cigar, and a portion of the long, dark hall behind him.

"How do you plan to keep him out?" Madeira asked as she edged inside, cradling her bruised and swelling fingers against her chest.

"What?"

"He's a ghost." she pointed out reasonably. "How do you plan to keep him out?"

There was a tick of silence as the gatekeeper's mind ground to a halt.

"Fine. Get in. Get in you sods." The man muttered darkly as he slammed the door behind them and returned to his stool. Soon he was sucking hard at his cigar and had enveloped himself in a blue cloud of smoke.

At the other end of the dark hall was what was once a modest house. Though now the walls had been removed to make room for a long, low bar stocked with liquors in twisted and dusty bottles, while small round tables packed the remainder of the floor. And at those tables were what looked like every race on Miza. A hulking Akalak with velvet black skin sat hunched over a deck of cards across from an Isur with an amethyst arm. At another table two Myrian women with filed teeth counted coins. At yet another a human-looking creature with yellow eyes was snarling at a Pycon with raven wings. There were a little over a dozen patrons in the den, and one woman behind the bar, yet the room felt tight and crowded. Every once in a while there would be a great exclamation of jubilation or defeat that punched through the air like a physical force, and the victors would rake in their winnings.

But despite the kaleidoscope of race and class and skill all packed into the room, there was one thing they all had in common: sparkling on every hip, wrist or thigh was a blade. Scimitars and swords and vicious little daggers glittered throughout the room like confetti on the worlds most violent cake. And suddenly Madeira wished very much that she still had her bow with her.

"Anything familiar, Hurik?" she asked out the side of her mouth, trying her very best to avoid eye contact with the two Myrians who were looking them both over with a hungry sort of interest.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Hurik on May 4th, 2017, 3:22 pm

2nd of Spring, 517 AV

Hurik felt his very essence cringe at the sight, sound, and expression that all became clear when Madeira shoved her hand in the door slat, and he was equal parts amazed, touched, and in awe when she gave the correct answer to the riddle.

It was with great admiration now that he smiled at Madeira as he followed her inside Ionu's Wager. He gave the doorman a look that held something more along the lines of disgust or contempt, though since he was undecided as to which he felt more, he let the glare be a suitable blend of both. Turning his full attention to the room, he too took in the dizzying array of races, sharp edges, and dangerous gazes. More than anything else though, Hurik was worried for Madeira. He guessed that most of these toughs wouldn't have either the guts or the know-how to hurt him, but they certainly seemed well-versed in the traditional ways of laying down the pain. He found himself assessing them, almost by accident. Before he knew it, a profile of each individual had laid itself down on his mental table, ready to be reviewed and revised as the evening went on.

First, there was the Akalak. Bulky, scarred, and loud as hell. Probably the biggest person in the building. Nothing to worry about. Those...Lakans? Lakans, would be something to worry about in a more open space, but especially given the size of his frame and length of limbs, if it came down to something ugly, this dark-skinned bruiser would be slow to the chase. Madeira could outrun him, no problem. I hope.

Second, there was the Isur who much like the Akalak, was far too big to be a serious threat this close up. Although, Hurik had heard somewhere that Isurian arms were nothing to shake a stick at. He's a bigger threat than the Akalak.

Thirdly, there was, Hurik noted with extreme surprise, a zith, if he wasn't seeing things. In the City of Illusion, he couldn't be sure. The wings and the eyes seemed real enough, and by Ionu! It certainly sounded real enough! Highly dangerous, but still... Too big, unwieldy... She could evade it, if worst comes to worst.

Fourth, was the Pycon. Its unassuming appearance was overshadowed by its minuscule size. Hurik hazarded a guess at how quickly it could leap from table to table, to bring some weapon to bear against Madeira. Quickly enough, but the biggest threat isn't the Pycon. It's them.

Fifth and most dangerous, the Myrians were even eyeing them already, and Hurik didn't like that one bit. They were lithe, wiry, taut with bound muscles. Myrian blades were sharp enough to flay off the layers of a person's eyelid. Hurik had heard stories at least, but he didn't need the stories to tell firsthand that these ladies weren't to be trifled with. He resolved to try his best to do whatever he could to stop them should they attack Madeira, even if there was little a ghost could do.

"There's plenty familiar Madeira, in that I've been in this exact same situation countless times. I've sized up the most dangerous folks in this tavern, and come to some conclusions."

Hurik relayed the information to Madeira as quietly as he could, trying to downplay his concern for her safety by maximizing his emphasis of how each fighter could be more or less difficult to escape.

"As to whether or not there are exits to escape to is another problem. There might be a back entrance but our mutual friend is guarding the front door. I have got to say, of all the places I've been in Alvadas since I materialized, this definitely appears to be the best candidate for a sudden murder of yours truly. I just can't see any evidence, outside of the obvious, that leads me to think that my body or possessions are still here."

Hurik made his way to the bar, and called the bartender over. A rough fellow, seeming to be as much a feature of the establishment as the shiny bar and the smudged ceiling. "What can I do you for?" His voice asked, sounding like steel grating on granite.

"We're wondering if there's been a murder around here."

OOCTake it from here! XD

Hurik

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on May 16th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Madeira listened to Hurik's tactical analysis of the situation with a
complicated expression. She was impressed by his breakdown of the
situation, and his neat logic around the most obvious threats. And she
was touched by this overt concern. These threats did not apply to him. He was simply trying his best to keep her safe. And yet another part of her, from a secret place
deep in her cowardly bones, saw his dark eyes judging threats and exit
strategies and quivered.

"Escape?" she hissed, barely moving her lips. "Escape? It cant
come to a fight, Hurik. It cant. I don't do corporeal! I don’t! This
isn't in my job description! We take a look, see what we can find and
get far, far away!”

Too late. Hurik was already strolling towards the bar, and Madeira had
no choice but to stick beside her only ally. He called the bartender
over, and Madeira sat herself with her back to him on one of the bars
rough stools. The metallic ringing of coins, of stone game pieces, the
rasp of thick paper cards, was the melody to the low base hum of
stressed or jubilant voices. The whole building hummed with a nervous
energy.

She heard steps approach them from the other side of the bar, and a
strong, deep voice say:

"-if there's been a murder around here"

In a tick Madeira had whipped around on her stool and slapped the palm
of her hand down on the hard top of the bar as if she could somehow
catch the words from his mouth. Failing this, the skinny, pale boy
smiled wide and spoke with forced and unflinching casualty.

"A murder? Ha, don’t listen to my friend here, sir.”

There it was again. Hurik had a very special way of detonating any
professionalism or careful plans she ever had. He had just vocalized in
a den full of hardened people with pointy weapons that he was looking
after a murder. Half the people here had probably killed people, and
he had set them up to look like the world's most incompetent
Listeners. Subtly was not his strong point, and trying to rally
herself while flustered was not hers.

"We're not looking for a murderer! That would be... That's just
ridiculous." She swallowed. "We're actually looking for this guy" she
pointed to Hurik with her thumb. "His body has been... Misplaced. We need it for a proper burial. His mother would, ah, would really like some peace of mind."

In an effort to cover up Hurik's blunder and her incompetent lying,
Madeira slunk her rucksack to her lap and dug out ten gleaming gold
miza's. She palmed the coins and sighed.

"She would really, really appreciate that peace of mind."

As if summoned by the glint of gold, a dark hand slid onto the counter beside Madeira. Above it followed a muscular forearm, a proud shoulder and a purring smile around shark teeth. The Myrian woman had materialized like a soundless jungle cat. She was nearly as tall as Hurik, and looked to be about the same age. Her dark skin was peppered with decorative scars, and she smelled strongly of sweat and sour drink. When she spoke her voice was as clear and dark as tinted glass.

“I know who you’re after, boys. Join us at our table.” Her dark eyes lifted over Madeira’s head and looked Hurik over in a way that was almost predatory. “Perhaps we could give that poor woman that peace of mind.”
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next