Completed Ale Brings Comfort, Wenches Bring Fury (Shiress)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Ale Brings Comfort, Wenches Bring Fury (Shiress)

Postby Karyk on June 13th, 2017, 1:56 am

Looking up as she spoke those harsh yet true words, Karyk was a broken man. Only now did he notice that the woman had fallen down sometime. Just how bad off was he? How many other things had he failed to notice since she died? He watched the woman work over his hearth, mulling over the last few days. He thought this was the first time that Sharay had cried since her mother's death. Yet that couldn't possibly be true, could it? Had he missed the other times? What did she think of him now? Cold? Useless?

A mug was gently placed in front of him, and he took it from her. It had been years since he'd had coffee. Not since... not since NIralyia's first pregnancy. She had just begun showing, her belly slightly swollen, back aching. In those days she got no sleep, and he'd done everything he could to try and make life comfortable. He was so excited to have their first child. He built them a new bed, bought new bedding. He paid extra for the foods she wanted, for the clothes that were more comfortable. He stayed up with her when she couldn't sleep, did everything that seemed right.

And then she lost it.

And he was struck by the loss that he continued to not sleep while his wife did nothing but lay in bed. His sister, despite her limited resources, bought him coffee, to keep him going. And it did, until the pain lessened. So it was appropriate that he was being given coffee now. It reminded him of her, of when she was there for him. Mumbling, "Thank ya."

Karyk's eyes fell on the woman who now sat in front of him. As she started speaking, his damp eyes crawled up to meet hers, deep, kelp green; a very pleasing color. Sharay had defended him? Even after all of what he'd put her through? He heard the woman's kind condolences, and then her eyes found his. She was chiding him, but gently this time. And she was right. His sister was dead. But she wasn't suffering in death. She was with Laviku now, even without a proper sea funeral.

Only the living could suffer. And right now that meant him and the kids were suffering. When the silence was broken again, this woman said what he was thinking, but in a way that made more sense. He'd been struggling because he wasn't strong enough on his own. Except... he wasn't alone. He knew they needed him... but he didn't realize, until this woman had put it into words, that he needed them as well. He took a long draft of the bitter, rich liquid, watching the woman's eyes as she mentioned the loss of her own brother.

There was a change in those kelpy eyes, but Karyk couldn't peg what it was. They didn't move, but just seemed to no longer be looking at anything. Empty. It was clear this woman new exactly the same loss as him, if in a different situation. She was proof that it wouldn't be like this forever. Karyk continued to sip at his coffee until a hand was presented to him. Smiling weakly, tiredly, he grasped it in his large, calloused one, being sure to be gentle, "An' I am Karyk. I'm glad to 'ave met ya Shiress, even in..," gesturing with his mug hand to indicate the room and situation, "this."

He was already feeling a bit more sober and he stood up, with significantly less sway. Refilling his cup, he offered it to Shiress as well. Returning to his seat, he found her eyes once more. "I... 'ave no excuses, an' ya 'ave already gone above and beyon' wha' could be asked of anyone. Jus'... you're the firs' person to care abou' us since we got 'ere. Life made much more sense back in Zeltiva."

Standing up once more, he grabbed his coin pouch that Sharay had from earlier, "'ow much do I owe ya? I really can't thank ya enough, but I can at leas' pay what is owed."
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shiress on June 13th, 2017, 3:57 am

Shiress watched the man thoughtfully as he refilled her cup. She hadn't even realized that she had drained it. "And I'm glad to have met you, Karyk." She took a noisy sip from her mug. "And maybe -this-" she continued, placing emphasis to indicate the use of his own word, "is exactly where the gods needed me tonight. The slave had no idea of what gods she was talking about, but she thought it sounded good.

Shiress waved a hand, lighthearted words of dismissal of the man's gratefulness forming, when his last word struck a bolt through her heart. She knew the little girl was from Zeltiva, or, at least, thought she was. Now she knew she sat before a man from home. Home No matter where she was, Zeltiva would always be home. "Zeltiva?" The word felt beautiful coming off her tongue. "I'm from Zeltiva!" A big, toothy smile spread across her face. "Zachiah and Lorna, my parent's.. A pain so intense rammed it's way into Shiress' head. She gave a gasping sob, the mug slipping from her fingers, as her hands raced to her forehead, embracing the agony there. Shiress bent forward over her knees, shaking, long, dark hair sliding from her shoulders to curtain her face.

The woman had never felt such pain before, for it wasn't a physical pain, but a mental one. What seemed to take forever, only took ticks, as debilitating thoughts, no demands, roared through her mind.

You don't care about home One said.

You don't care about your parent's Another suggested.

Shiress made it to her feet, heart pounding, not seeing, nor caring, where the man was, or what he was saying. "I must be going." she said, her voice shaky. "I don't think I'm feeling well. I have been ill recently" She quite frankly didn't know what the hells was happening to her, but she did know she needed to leave. She knew she had to leave, but didn't know why. She didn't want to leave. No, yes she did.

What she wanted and what she was formed a battleground in her mind. The Shiress born and raised in Zeltiva fought for her life against the Shiress that Sayana had created. She wanted home, she wanted freedom, she wanted a way out, but no...there was only Sayana, and she loved Sayana. She could never leave Sayana. She didn't want to leave her Mistress. Nothing mattered but her Mistress.

Shiress crossed the room to her bag, knelt, and slung it around her shoulder. Turning, she found Karyk, her eyes pleading, filling with tears, mouth working to form words, but none would come. They wouldn't come, because she didn't really want what they would say. But she did. Didn't she?

I am your family now. You only love me

Shiress felt the flush of color flood her face, then felt it rush away, leaving her pale, ashen. She pressed the palm of her hand against the suggestion in her head. She felt nauseous. Like a caged bird, her pounding heart battered the inside of her chest. She moved toward the door, but paused as a storm of dizziness swept over her.

You will never leave me

"I will never leave you, Mistress" She said.

Blackness swept over her vision, she stumbled, knees buckling. Shiress fell hard to the floor. She had wanted to tell the man she was sorry, but had to leave. Tell him to never give up and hold on to each other, until the pain lessons. But, she couldn't speak.

All she could do was hear her mistress laughing.
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Karyk on June 13th, 2017, 5:01 am

Karyk's face lit up when her toothy smile broke across her face, when she said she was from Zeltiva too. Of course she was Zeltivan. It made all the sense in the world. Only Zeltivans cared about family in the proper way, in the best of ways. In Zeltiva, family wasn't a name, wasn't blood, wasn't a house or estate. Family was those that made you smile, family was those you fought with and for. In Zeltiva, you had family or nothing.

That was why this woman, Shiress, helped a scared and crying child. That was why she helped the child get food, and brought her home. That was why she took the time to ensure they children got food, to ensure that they didn't see her slap some sense into his fool head. That was why she stepped up. For family. Not just her family, but the idea of family.

When she said some names, he recognized the first. Zachiah! That man was a foreman at the Shipyard. He led the crew behind The Starling, one of the hands down most beautiful ships in the Naval Fleet. Karyk had met the man many a time, a good man, of the Underhills.

But before he could ask her about him, Shiress was gasping, like the sound his sister had made when she was going into labor, painful, surprising. The wooden mug felt to the floor, coffee spilling over their boots. Was she ill? Injured? Surely not, she'd seemed fine earlier. A large hand reached out and grasped her shoulder, to sit her up, the other on her leg, "Shiress?"

But she stood, dismissively, claiming to have been ill. "I... okay, if ya mus'." He watched her grab her things, "Where ya livin'? I can get ya home safe at leas'. Pay ya back too. Is the leas' I ca.."

He interrupted himself when he saw her face. He'd seen plenty of sick and injured in his time. The face Shiress wore was neither of those things. It was the same face that Raven's mother had on when her daughter was first discovered to be missing. Pure fear. It looked as if she were about to speak, and then her face paled. A hand came to her head, Karyk already moving toward her, concerned, when she turned to the door.

"Mistress? I ain't a.."

And with a thump, she hit the floor like a coil of rope.

Karyk was immediately at her side, rolling her over. Her face was pale, but her head wasn't hot from fever. Slipping an arm under her shoulders and another beneath her thighs, he heaved her up, snug against his chest. Carefully, he brought Shiress over to his bed and laid her upon it. And he knew he could do nothing for her, he worked on ships, not people. But he knew someone who did, and he was a man of action, not thought.

Turning on a heel, wobbling slightly, still not fully sobered physically, even if his faculties were seeming to fire well. Opening his door, he went next door and knocked. Hortense answered with a scowl draped beneath her fiery hair. "What do you want?"

"Is Oleander in? Da woman, Shiress, she fainted."

Hortense's eyes grew wide, especially at the obvious concern on his face. She turned into her room, "Don't you three move. I will tan your hides if anything is out of place when I get back."

Hortense came with Karyk in nothing more than her nightgown, "Olli is out. But I can help." She stopped him with a turn and a finger to his chest, glaring at him, growling, "You didn't hurt her did you, Karyk Stormwind?"

He stared at her incredulously, but then realized he'd not been himself lately. "No. No, of course not." She studied his face, and seemingly satisfied barged into his room. "I'm not a doctor Karyk. If you didn't hurt her, maybe it was something else? Was she worked up about something? Maybe excited or scared? I think some people faint from that sort of thing.

Karyk didn't even have to think, "Well, yeah. When she foun' out I were from Zeltiva, she got excited, cuz she's from there too."

Hortense nodded, grabbing a cloth from Karyk's belongings and wetting it, folding it, and placing it on Shiress' forehead. "Maybe that's it then. Just try to keep her comfortable. If she wakes, get her to drink something and try not to make her excited. If she starts to spit up or cough, turn her on her side. I'll keep the kids with me."

Karyk nodded and watched Hortense go. Make her comfortable was the directive. Karyk started to clean up the coffee that had been dropped. Following that, he removed Shiress' boots, and slipped the blanket over her, putting a pillow beneath her head. The chair in which she'd sat to help him, now held the worried shipwright, coffee in hand. He had a bit of water in the skin left for if she woke. Other than that, or the last cup of coffee in his hand, there was nothing else. Nothing except.. Looking over in the corner of the room, he saw the small barrel that sat unopened. If the water wasn't enough, he did have a piece of home he'd been saving in celebration. But since his arrival wasn't in the best of airs, he'd not opened it. Maybe a fellow Zeltivan could truly appreciate it. After all, nothing beat a kelp beer.

So Karyk sat there, sipping at the coffee, waiting, worrying. There was nothing else on his mind except for her well being. The kids were cared for in this moment by Hortense, he was fine for now. Shiress needed family. Karyk would make sure she would have some when she woke. True Zeltivan family. And so he waited for the woman to wake, water skin ready, with no questions to distress her.
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shiress on June 13th, 2017, 11:39 pm

As darkness settled around Shiress, She dreamed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Have you packed your 500 bags already?" She heard the voice of her 17 year old brother, Zane, before she saw him. Her wonderful, beautiful, loving, big brother. A true Zeltivan man. Just like their father.

As the darkness thinned around her, Zane came into view. He sat, leaned against an apple tree, his long legs crossed, ankle over ankle, before him, his strong arms crossed over his chest. He sat, smiling up at her, in that way Shiress loved so much. "I don't pack so much, Zane, you shouldn't tease me so." Young Shiress materialized from thin, black clouds and sat beside her brother, mimicking his posture, as she always did. "Come on Shire," he nudged her with his shoulder, playfully. "what's gotten into you lately?" Shiress shot him a sideways glance. "Nothing, I just..I have a bad feeling, is all" Zane frowned at his sister. "About what? Going to Sunberth?" Shiress just shrugged. Aw, come now, Shire, but I'll be with you!" He lifted his arm, flexing his muscle. Shiress smiled, leaning into him, the apple she held in her hand lifting to her lips.

The dream shifted. The land beneath flew past Shiress in a birds eye view. Green grass, forest, and road appeared and disappeared in the setting and rising of the sun.

"Zane.." Shiress sobbed. "It's OK, Shire, I'm OK" The darkness shredded apart again and Shiress was lying on her stomach. Hard, cold, stone scraped painfully into her flesh. Across from her, Zane lay the same, his dark hair clinging to the blood seeping from the corners of his mouth. They were being bound, aggressively, by unseen hands. Shiress was yanked up, and backwards, as the scene began to fade. "Zane! No! Zane!" Just before something came over her head, blinding her, Shiress saw her brother begin to struggle against his captors. He was kicked by one and, as darkness descended, a form stood over her wonderful, beautiful brother, positioning a dagger for a downward thrust into his back.

Darkness came and Shiress screamed.

The unconscious form, stirred, moaning.

The dream shifted one last time. A field, a child, an escape, a forest, a Zith, all flashed from the darkness, crossing her awareness. Smiling faces, a tavern, a beautiful black cat.

The flashes stopped and Shiress sat, chained to a tree, her face swollen and blood stained. Across from her, opposite a roaring flame, a beautiful, dark skinned Eypharian sat, smiling at her. Shiress closed her eyes and the dark spun once. She opened them and her Eypharian's hand hung before her face. She took it, kissed it, almost sensually. "I shall never forsake you, Mistress"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shiress woke with a jerk, her eyes snapping open, to focus on a bare wall. All was silent, dim. Hesitantly, she ran her hands down her form, and the blanket that covered her, then spread out along the mattress she lay upon. Then, she remembered where she was. Her eyes closed, with a deep sigh, like one who has done something so stupid and now must explain. "Oh...petch me..." She whined.

She rolled her head around, seeing the man sitting vigil by his own bed. "I am so, so very sorry." She said, throwing back the blanket. She swung her legs around and pulled herself to the side of the bed, glancing down at her bare feet. Again her eyes closed, as a chagrined flush heated her face. "I have been ill, of sorts" She said, hands vigorously smoothing down her hair. "I get seasick, you see, and we had a long voyage. I didn't eat much and am still recuperating." She placed a hand over her brow and shook her head .

Shiress found it hard to look at the man, through her own humiliation. "I am so sorry." she repeated, then stood, looking around. "If you'll give me my boots and bag, I'll take my leave, long overdue."

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Karyk on June 14th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Karyk started as the woman suddenly snapped her eyes open, his heart rate briefly rising, before settling. Casting his concerned eyes toward the woman, watching her take in her surroundings, Karyk offered a smile. Relief washed over the man, if she was awake, at least that meant she wasn't going to die right here in his bed.

At her apology, Karyk shook a hand, "Don' worry 'bout it. Anythin' for someone from back 'ome." But when spoke of getting ill, of being seasick, his expression changed to one of mild confusion. A Zeltivan getting seasick? And they were on a lake, an extremely calm lake, with no ocean ports anywhere nearby. How did she get seasick?

Karyk's face slid back into a soft smile, it wasn't his place to question. Maybe she was ill. Maybe it was something she was embarrassed about. Either way, not his place to press. This latter thought was only strengthened by her inability to look him in the eye as she'd so boldly done earlier, as well as her desire to leave as soon as possible. After all, he'd done those same exact things when embarrassed.

He nodded down to her boots that sat next to her feet by the bed, and then offered her his water skin, "Drink. Ya need it," dropping it into her lap before standing up. His plan about the kelp beer would have to wait for another time. He stood up and grabbed her bag and returned it to her, setting it on the bed next to her, before sitting down once more.

He wanted to mention knowing her father, to ask about her and her family more, but after the previous go of it, he strayed away from it. He didn't want her to get excited and faint again. She probably needed her rest, "I'll 'elp ya 'ome. I could use the fresh air. Ya don' mind do ya? 'ortense next door is keepin' an eye on the kids, talked to 'er briefly while ya were out."

Not waiting for an answer, he grabbed his pack and coin pouch, for her never traveled without either. And upon giving her a moment to rest, drink, and consider, he stuck out a calloused hand to pull her to her feet, a gentle smile on his face, "Where ya live at, Shiress?"
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shiress on June 15th, 2017, 2:06 am

Shiress returned to the bed and sat, pulling on her boots. Home Shiress smiled at the thought, then frowned, quizzically, remembering the storm within her thoughts just...how long ago was that? She glanced up. "How long was I," she twirled a slender finger, indicating the floor, then the bed, "out? She shook her head, embarrassment creeping back in. "I hope I didn't cause you undue worry or trouble" she added, studying the man's face. That's when she saw it. He knew. Karyk knew she was full of bullshyke.

She should have known that a born and bred Zeltivan wouldn't be seasick. Shiress, in fact, had no idea what had happened. Why her thoughts had become so muddled, so...painful. Painful thoughts, is there such a thing? Shiress' fingers slowed, entangled in the laces of her boots, as she pondered this; why had the thoughts of home, of her mother and father, caused such torment? And, why wasn't she feeling that way now? Something flashed across the back of the Slave's memory, but it was gone before she could grasp on to it. But, it was that moment Shiress realized that, for as much as she loved her family, loved Zeltiva, she wouldn't, or couldn't, ever return. It was this knowing, the conscious acceptance of this knowing, that calmed her thoughts. She just couldn't ever remember coming to this conclusion, but it was a done deal, all the same.

Strange...

It was Karyk's voice, and that sweet, sweet Zeltivan accent, that captured Shiress and dragged her back from her thoughts. She wished she could somehow climb into the man's telltale accent and visit home. Fingers began working again at the laces, as she smiled, opening her mouth to beg off Karyk's invitation to walk her home, but she snapped it closed again. He wouldn't be dissuaded and Shiress knew it. He's Zeltivan. She just nodded, swallowing a very large, and a very nervous lump in her throat.

Shiress stomped one boot, settling it onto her foot, and then the other. Taking the proffered hand, she stood, slinging her bag across a slim shoulder, a thoughtful, if not worried, expression forming on her face. "I, uh, live.."-with a multi-armed, psycho slaver and her very strange, live in boyfriend. Oh, and by the way, I'm the slave!- "near the docks. If you can just see me close, I'm sure I can make it on my own." She gave him a reassuring smile. If the smile was to reassure herself, or the man, Shiress didn't know.

Just before Shiress reached the door, a seriousness stiffened her features. She turned, fingers wrapping around the strap against the front of her shoulder, as, absentmindedly, the other reached out, taking Karyk's again. Shiress began to tremble, as her heart, once again, returned to it's rhythmic pounding in her chest.

Shiress' tongue darted out, wetting her lips, green eyes catching the man's brown. "Can I ask you something?" She took in a long breath and blew it out slow, preparing herself for what she feared Karyk would say. "Back in Zeltiva...back home, did you know a Zachiah or Lorna Underhill? Zachiah, my father, he worked, works, at the shipyard, and my Mother, she..she.." Her gaze fell away from his, then slowly returned, filling with tears. "Zane. Zane Underhill." The hand, already wrapped tightly around his, tightened it's grip further. She could feel it shaking within Karyk's, but she didn't care. For so many season's she has longed to ask this question.

"My family, do they still live there? Are they alive?"

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Karyk on June 15th, 2017, 5:54 pm

The shipwright smiled gratefully as Shiress accepted his offer, matching her own. There was comfort in hers, and in knowing that she would accept his help despite being a stranger. It really wasn't much, but at the very least it allowed him to return the favor of her getting his head on a bit straighter. And of course she lived near the docks, like any proper Zeltivan, finding comfort at the water's edge. Although Karyk was new here, but it seemed that the docks were... all around the city. But she'd show him the way it seemed, so no need to question it.

Feeling her hand slip into his own, fighting off a bit of a frown as her touch reminded him of the woman he'd turned his back on. Salara. He remembered her inability to keep her fingers to herself, always alighting on his scars, on his chest, on his hands. She truly only wanted to be with him, next to him. And all he needed to do was to follow her to Riverfall. And he really should've. Maybe things would've turned out differently. Maybe...

He shook off the feelings. He had to live with his decisions, no matter how foolish they'd been, no matter how much he regretted them. Eyes focusing now on Shiress, as she asked of him what he'd been avoiding to bring up. Smiling, amused that he'd been correct as to who her family was, "I knew Zachiah well. 'e's a foreman at the yard now. 'ighest job there, only for the best. 'e 'elped make some of the mos' beautiful ships. Still workin' there. I dun think I ever met 'is wife, but I think my sister knew 'er. 'ell, your dad taught me a lot on mast work, we worked on a schooner, the Caroline."

Zane. The name sounded familiar. He did seem to remember Zachiah having an apprentice for a while. But he couldn't be completely sure. And he didn't want to give her false hope. "Your parents are alive an' well as can be I think. Zane.. I remember the name, did 'e apprentice wit' your dad? I remember 'im when I were younger I think... But don' remember seein' 'im in more recent years."

He squeezed her hand firmly, to provide some comfort, before pulling her into a bear hug. Arms firmly around her back, he held her there, knowing that as true Zeltivan, she'd probably worried over her family's well being the moment they were separated. "They're okay... You're okay..," he whispered. Holding the hug for a few moments longer, he released her, offering a light smile, "'ow about we get ya 'ome? Ya need your rest."
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shiress on June 16th, 2017, 12:46 am

Alive! Her parent's were alive, and well, and living in Zeltiva. That knowledge spread a warmth through Shiress that she had not felt in a very, very long time. Season after season, she had wondered, wanted, and prayed that she would one day get this news, and now she had received it.

Her parent's lived.

Zane though. Not seen for sometime. She had had a feeling that this would be so, but it broke her heart to hear it. Shiress' eyes fell away at the news. "Aye," she replied, her voice soft. "Zane worked under my father since he was 10." She would hold in her heart the hope that he still lived. She herself hadn't been in Zeltiva since 514 and she still lived. Maybe Zane did as well. Shiress had held, desperately, to the hope her parent's were alive, and she knew now that they were. She would do the same for her brother.

The squeeze to her hand recalled her gaze, just before she was pulled into Karyk's massive arms. The instinct to pull away was immediate, but the need in her heart was stronger. Shiress flowed into the embrace, like water returning to a dry river bed. It engulfed her, stealing away any words she might have spoken. She pulled her form tightly against his, as his words brought goose bumps to her skin. "I will be OK" she whispered. "one day I will be OK"

This man was no longer a stranger. He was Zeltivan family and he would mean the world to her for the rest of her life, for what he had just given her; the fulfillment of a hope that she had clung to through the darkest moments of her life.

Far too soon, the embrace ended, and she gazed up into the man's smiling face, his last words temporarily ignored. Shiress lifted her hands, placing each to either side of Karyk's face, her fingertips sliding gently into his beard. She pulled him down, balancing on tiptoes, and placed a soft, slightly lingering, kiss to the corner of his lips. As she pulled away, she sent her gaze deeply and meaningfully, into his, the soft pad of her thumbs caressing his cheeks, tenderly.

"Thank you, Karyk. She said, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Thank you so very, very much."

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Karyk on June 19th, 2017, 11:29 pm

Karyk's reserved facade slipped just for a moment as Shiress kissed him. The action made him think of the woman he'd turned away from, that he'd left. The woman he could've made a life with. But it was only for a moment, his smile broadening, pressing against the woman's teasing thumb just a bit more.

His eyes found hers, and held the soft, caring gaze she returned. Watching the tears flow, he felt his own filling up, not realizing just how big of a gestured he'd performed until this moment. His hand reached up and took hers from her face and gripped it firmly, "Anythin' for family."

Anything except start a new one...

Was that the problem? Was that why he'd turned away? Was he afraid of trying to start his own family? It hadn't gone well the last time, and that was entirely his fault. And he didn't want to become that man again. He wasn't that man anymore. That abusive, hateful, spiteful man.

Yet again, he was a coward. Weak.

His grip on her hand softened a bit, and his smiled faded into a lesser version, "Let's pop in on the chitlins, see 'ow they's doin'." His hand slipped free from hers and he turned toward his door, opening it and stepping into the hall. Looking back over his shoulder, he nodded and smiled lightly to get her to follow before he went next door.

Knocking first, Karyk popped in. Hortense was asleep in a chair, and the children all curled up under the blanket on the bed. Karyk stepped as softly as he could, trying to not wake them. Slowly he crept over to the bed and knelt down. He could at least be strong for them. Pushing their hair back, he pressed a kiss to each of their foreheads. "Sleep well lovebugs. I'ma be a better man tomorrow."

He turned and left, seeing Hortense's eyes on him, offering her a silent thank you. Shutting the door lightly behind him, he sighed. What was he to do next?
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shiress on June 20th, 2017, 2:14 am

Shiress stepped back, following Karyk through the door, a thoughtful smile crossing her face. 'Chitlins'. Her father used to call her and her brother his chitlins.

Glancing up, Shiress trailed the man through another door, offering the woman in the chair a slight smile, as she stirred awake. Karyk crossed the room to his kids, and a warmth filled Shiress, as he kissed each sleeping face in turn.

Shiress backed herself out of the door, as Karyk retreated, watching him closely. The man seemed worried or unsure about something. Shiress ventured a guess and touched his forearm, calling his attention. "They are going to be OK," she smiled "and so are you." Still watching the man, she ventured further. "When my father, Zachiah, would do something he felt disappointed us, or let us down, he would take Zane and I out for dinner, then for a walk." Shiress paused, remembering, something of regretful sadness flicking across her face.

"Then, he would talk to us, as equals. He would tell us what he did wrong, and what he was going to do different. Tugging at his arm, Shiress lead the way down the hall. "Sharay will get it. She continued, stepping slow down the stairs, and out into the deepening night.

The slave stilled, turning to Karyk. "Just be real with them and they will appreciate it." She gave the man a smile, then turned, the smile slipping from her face, as she looked forward, remembering what she was going home to."I'm ready" she said, her tone low and unsure. In no way was Shiress ready to leave. "It's just this way."

A shudder ran through her form, as she began to lead the way home.

Character sheet
Shiress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

PreviousNext