New Player who has some questions about Kelvics

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Shainn on July 5th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Hey all! I'm Shainn and I'm new here. Have a few questions about Kelvics and other stuff, they can be found below:

1). Do Kelvics have to have a bondmate as early as possible, or can I wait to have a bondmate?

2). How do Spies work here on Mizahar? I'm just curious since the article is a stub for the most part.

3). What's the alignment of Ravok?

4). What kind of people live in Ravok? Do they all have similar personalities in common, do they have to have some bad sides, or can there be good people in Ravok too?

5). How would characters earn reputation at Ravok? What do they have to do to get noticed?

6). How rough can the Ebonstryfe be towards Civilians/Visitors?

7). How many posts do I need to post urls?

Sorry for these questions just curious about all of this stuff. Might have more later.
Shainn
Player

Words: 30907
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2017, 2:30 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Orin Fenix on July 5th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Hi there! Welcome to Mizahar. I hope that you enjoy your time here. I'll answer your first and last questions, and leave all the Ravok information to those who are more well versed on the subject.

In terms of Kelvic, there's no absolute need to bond, so take your time finding a bondmate. However, from my understanding. Kelvic feel a sort of imperative to find someone to bond to, so if you're not bonded to someone, you'll strongly feel the urge to. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. And for urls, if I'm understanding your question correctly you can post them anytime, it's just better to use the {url=link here} text here{/url} and replace the brackets with square brackets.

EDIT: Nevermind, you need to reach 10 posts before you can post urls. My apologies.

I hope that helped and I'm excited to see what you do here!
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Kayak on July 5th, 2017, 8:43 pm

1) Kelvics are indeed not required to bond as early as possible, and as Orin said they do feel a heavy desire to seek out this bond.

2) Spy is a job, like any other. Many groups or businesses employ spies to gain an advantage over competition. They do this through means of unseen watching, subterfuge, deception, information.

3) The alignment of Ravok is Ravok first. In a more "9 alignments" style, the first part is incredibly lawful. Now many people also view Ravok as "evil" because of Rhysol and others. However, Ravok is simply selfish. Ravok first and foremost above the rest of the world. But its not just full of evil people. It has good people, honest people, nice people, bakers. So, as a whole, it is neutral.

4) I feel like my previous answer helps answer this. But all types are in Ravok. Criminals (though those are punished if caught), normal every day people. Fisherman, shipbuilders, shopkeepers, craftsmen. There's guards that genuinely care about protecting people. There's doctors that care about their people's health.

5) Depends on the reputation, but being very Pro-Rhysol is a great start. To the citizens, Rhysol is the best thing in the world. He gives them health, prosperity, safety, and the world's most beautiful city. They are thankful to him for that. Putting Ravok and Rhysol first is the best way to get a good reputation.

6) Stryfe can be as rough as they like, for they are the military and guards and law enforcement of Ravok. Towards citizens, I'd imagine that they'd be greatly restrained, giving them the benefit of the doubt (plus gaining a citizen's favor or having blackmail on them can be useful). Non citizens though would get the worst of it. Non citizens have no rights. They are trash. They are not protected in any capacity.

7) 10 Posts

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please ask away

Signature courtesy of the great and wise Prophet
Kayak
Retired Staff

Words: 83721
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2017, 11:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Prophet on July 5th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Shainn wrote:1). Do Kelvics have to have a bondmate as early as possible, or can I wait to have a bondmate?
Answered.

Shainn wrote:2). How do Spies work here on Mizahar? I'm just curious since the article is a stub for the most part.
Answered.

Shainn wrote:3). What's the alignment of Ravok?
Ravok is Rhysol's city. His. Only his. Everything wonderful and amazing about the city is credited to him. It's a clean, well-run and generally peaceful society where everyone(most everyone) is grateful and happy. There are no poor and no homeless. There are no gangs and no guild of thieves. There's a temple, a bunch of canals, sweet boats called ravosalas and a bunch of military, law enforcement and religious members who work together to maintain Ravok's arrogance as the best place on Miz.

Shainn wrote:4). What kind of people live in Ravok? Do they all have similar personalities in common, do they have to have some bad sides, or can there be good people in Ravok too?
All kinds. If you have a concept in mind, shoot me a PM and we can discuss where you will fit into Ravok.

Shainn wrote:5). How would characters earn reputation at Ravok? What do they have to do to get noticed?
There are many groups where you can earn some renown but no actual in-game system at this point.

Shainn wrote:6). How rough can the Ebonstryfe be towards Civilians/Visitors?
Civilians have rights. Visitors do not. Visitors are lower than slaves.

Shainn wrote:7). How many posts do I need to post urls?
Answered.

Please read through the Codex. Between these posts and that hunk of knowledge, I think these questions will be sated and more will arise. Don't forget to check in at the forum as well. There is an OOC where you can ask other residents what they think.

Welcome to Miz and enjoy your stay. I hope to see you around.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Shainn on July 5th, 2017, 10:09 pm

Thank you Orin, Kayak, and Prophet for the wonderful advice!

@Orin: From what I understand about Kelvics now, they don't instantly need to get a bondmate after creation. Though, if one waited more than a couple years, how strong would the urge be to have a bondmate? With the last question Kayak had answered for me, though I thank you for the help!
@Kayak: So, Ravok is mostly Lawful, but can be chaotic and neutral at the same time? Since the Ebonstryfe can be pretty rough to people whenever, how often would they need to be rough on their people to keep order? Like are they low-key most of the time, or can they be just complete butt holes whenever they want because they hold the authority?
@Prophet: Thank you Prophet! I'll definitely look through the Codex and drop by in the OOC chat. :)
Shainn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayak on July 5th, 2017, 10:22 pm

So, Ravok is mostly Lawful, but can be chaotic and neutral at the same time?

Nah, completely lawful. Just their laws are different from those of other lands. Their laws protect true Ravokians.

Since the Ebonstryfe can be pretty rough to people whenever, how often would they need to be rough on their people to keep order? Like are they low-key most of the time, or can they be just complete butt holes whenever they want because they hold the authority?

Within reason, after all the Stryfe do also police themselves. If one steps too far out of line, they make powerful enemies and invite competition. By this I mean, Ebonstryfe are people too. Punish the wrong person, or punish them unjustly, other Stryfe may step in to "correct" the behavior, to earn favor or show loyalty to Rhysol's laws. Strength through focused chaos.

Look at it like this... If you're a citizen and following the law, you should always be fine. Obviously there can be the rare exception, but that is the rule of thumb. However, cross a line, and you might find an ambitious Ebonstryfe leaping at the chance to dole out punishment (within reason, especially toward citizens).

Non citizens though... Stryfe can outright kill them and are protected by the law in doing so.

And remember, ambition and power are prevalent in the Stryfe. Which means they are smart, calculating. If they can earn more power, reputation, or resources (intelligence, blackmail, favors) by not punishing, or not punishing as harshly, they likely will. They aren't savages simply looking to sate bloodlust. And if they are thirsty for blood, there's plenty of non citizens to take out their frustrations on.

Signature courtesy of the great and wise Prophet
Kayak
Retired Staff

Words: 83721
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2017, 11:36 am
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Shainn on July 5th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Thanks again Kayak! As I'm posting this post, I am looking through the Ravok Codex. I'll be sure to pop in again and ask some questions if I need to. I'm waiting until I get those 10 posts because I have urls on my CS which are forbidding my topic creation. So... I'll be back some time. Thank you everyone! :)
Shainn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Prophet on July 6th, 2017, 1:10 am

Ebonstryfe don't police the city aside from special circumstances. The City Guard handles the day to day enforcement though everyone answered to the Black Sun and the druvins.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Shainn on July 6th, 2017, 1:36 am

I think I understand. I'll read through the Codex more thoroughly. There's a lot of information in there and it's all helpful! Thanks Prophet!
Shainn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sayana on July 6th, 2017, 1:48 am

And if you're thinking about being a Kelvic in Ravok, you might want to check out the KRI or Kelvic Research Institute. It gives a good feeling of what it might be like as a Kelvic in Ravok (unless you happen to be bonded with someone a lot nicer).
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Next