Closed Of Campfires and Combat[Sayana]

Clyde and Sayana meet after a day of travel.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Of Campfires and Combat[Sayana]

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 8th, 2017, 11:18 pm

After a few moments Clyde began to catch his breath which had been lost by the moments exertion. He supposed the exercise and training was good for him, but it didn't make lying sore on the ground short of breath feel any better in the moment.

Her statement of his repeated death wasn't surprising to him, but then he'd known going in how his skill paled in comparison to Sayana's in this arena.

He was more surprised by her concise compliment on his small momentary success, or more so that he'd managed to have one.

Once his breath had mostly returned to him Clyde managed to regather his feet, and took the few steps needed to pick up the dagger he'd been wielding.

Her next question left Clyde more confused than most she posed him, not really making sense in any sense.

“What the petch is a commander of Sahova? Sahova doesn't have commanders, its not a rank that exists within their structure. Ravok, of course. I'm a Wizard by rank in Sahova.”

He wasn't sure if Sayana was joking, but he'd been under the impression that everyone who'd been to Ravok knew of the Stryfe, and if not knowing all of the ranks knew of the bottom few including that of a commander. Above a base soldier, which was no mean feat to accomplish, but below a paladin.

As for what a Druvin was, well Clyde knew most everyone in Ravok or who'd been there would be familiar with the term and concept. He assumed Sayana knew what that was from the way she'd worded the question, and since she followed up with an actual direct question. Whether that was her intention or not he wouldn't know, possibly requiring her to ask again to clarify and make herself clear to him.

He had thought Sayana had knew of his position, but as he considered it he supposed it had never come up directly.

As their lesson pressed onward, Clyde listened to Sayana's words, pondering the things she spoke of. Most of it made a logical sense, even if he'd not directly considered it before.

Fast strikes by surprise could end a bout then and there, the close quarters lending danger and opportunity to both sides. He'd thrown a dagger before, though he only half remembered the event. It hadn't been on purpose, and had involved an item he'd been Magecrafting. An item he'd manage to imbed in a stone wall, more due to the items magic than his own capability. Particularly since at the time he'd not been trying to throw it.

Clyde would wait for Sayana to finish her work at cooking, likely while answering any follow up questions derived from his last answer to her direct question. Once she was done it seemed they were on to another bout before passing onto another part of the lesson.

Once Sayana was ready Clyde would hold up his dagger in an upward pointing grip, considering her as an opponent.

Clyde had size on his side, along with longer limbs. Sayana on the other hand had more limbs, and hands, along with much greater skill.

Coming at her more or less directly, his only real option as she knew he was coming, Clyde started with a thrust at her neck, followed by a slash at any open flesh he could find nearby. If that didn't work he'd try a few stabs at her gut, half attempting her earlier attack at the end though without the same gusto or skill.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sayana on August 27th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Sayana let the mage’s accusing comment slide, but she refrained from asking in detail about the Druvin. After the brief verbal lesson, in which she had slipped in the concept of surprise, she lingered by the campfire making sure the coals were evenly spread and not burnt out. She also had a care that the fish was properly flipped and touching the pan with enough oil to prevent it from sticking. Her whole body was poised and ready to spring, yet he didn’t strike.

Perhaps the full meaning of ‘surprise’ would have to wait for another day. She didn’t feel like rubbing it in. At last she got to her feet and faced him. He came at her rather predictably. A forwards direct attack. His choice of her neck was the only nuance. She lunged to the right, dodging instead of blocking. It opened up her left side, yet his left was also vulnerable. Dagger still in her right mid, she swiftly tapped his exposed torso.

At almost the same time, she felt his dagger slashing at her left arms. A momentary smile swept across her face. His weight was too far forwards. In contrast, her weight was all on her right leg, leaving her left leg free to… With a powerful sweep, she aimed for his shins in attempt to knock him off his feet. Knowing that he was all too likely to fall, or at least stumble forwards, she took a couple of quick side steps further to the right and out of his path.

“Time to pick up your staff, Commander. Let’s see if you’re any good at using her for physical combat.”

As he changed weapons, her posture would remain in a ready stance. Her arms were out, for balance and potential grapples, while her dagger was aloft and sometimes twirling in her grip.

“And next time, attack me while I’m distracted. Our dinner wasn’t in as much peril as you might think, and you could have gotten a couple of good jabs in.”

There was a cheekiness to her voice, but overall, a sense of playfulness. This is one thing she truly enjoyed. The physical challenge, the dynamic nature, and the spontaneity of the dance with daggers.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 27th, 2017, 9:44 pm

To some degree Clyde understood her intention of surprise, but the thought of actually surprising her then didn't occur to him. Mainly because to his mind, logically, if someone tells you to surprise them and you do so right after... Then they won't surely be surprised?

Not after all when they had literally just told you to surprise them.

When he did come at her she once more blocked and dodged his attacks, not letting him manage to get her. He did manage to land a strike on her arm, though only after or around the same time she'd struck him.

Of course managing to cut her arm in exchange for having his chest ripped open wasn't really a fair trade, and in a fight while she'd have been wounded he'd likely be bleeding out.

While he considered this and his momentary strike, he found himself falling once more and landing in yet another heap on the ground due to a strike with her legs at his own legs.

It seemed though that they'd trained enough on daggers, as she told Clyde to pick up Cha and fight with it instead. Taking a moment to rise from the ground, Clyde set aside the borrowed dagger and picked up Cha, taking her in a two handed grip. Cha, even for a staff, was long, a good 5 feet of strong wood. If he could keep her from closing in he'd have the advantage, as she'd said before, though if she got within Cha's reach he'd be in the losing position.

Clyde felt the familiar touch and weight of the staff in his hand, turning it once, and then a second time faster in a quick spin. However he didn't quite get the faster one right, and the staff slid from his grip on the upward spin ending up tossed upward a foot from his hand. Clyde quickly grabbed at the staff before it escaped, but decided against trying the move again just yet.

Glancing back at Sayana, Clyde held the staff in front of him, quirking an eyebrow at her.

“When were you distracted, or open to being surprised? You just told me to surprise you, so the first thing you'd expect me to do is to come at you when you aren't looking. That'd be like someone catching a man trying to pick their pocket, and them being called out for it, only for the same man to try to pick their pocket a chime later.”

“If I'm gonna surprise you, I'm gonna surprise you. I'm not gonna do it though when your completely expecting it. That'd defeat the purpose, no?”

Reaching out through Cha, Clyde felt out with a tendril of aura sight which he latched onto Sayana with. Once more he could see her in the proper way, Cha sitting in his hand in a way that felt right.

Trying to keep distance between then, Clyde advanced with Cha held outward in a two handed grip, using her full length to his advantage as he closed and made a thrusting strike at her center. He'd dance backward a step after that, trying to keep her at bay and stop her from getting in under his guard and within Cha's length, swinging the staff sideways to strike her in the side if she tried to skate past the tip of the wooden weapon and turning to face her in the new direction so as to put Cha in between them once more.

He'd continue to try to hold her at bay whatever she did, aiming the head of the staff in additional strikes at any open spots he saw on her while circling and trying to keep her out of range of her shorter weapon.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sayana on September 9th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Sayana smiled as she watched the mage pick up his staff. He was comfortable with Cha and she could practically see the soft ripples of relief as he was once again united with her. One spin, two spins. He was certainly more comfortable holding Cha, but she would have to find out if the same applied in combat.

There was a moment in which a sheepish grin crossed her lips. As much as she had wanted him to take immediate use of the knowledge she had shared, he had a point that one didn’t usually surprise someone mere moments after they had told them to do just that. She had been too wrapped up in trying to teach and demonstrate to have considered that he may have chosen a more rational approach.

Regardless, she readied herself eagerly and took a wide stance with bent knees. Clyde most definitely had the advantage of range, at the moment, with Cha being nearly five times as long as her own small dagger. As he made his thrust towards her center, she quickly flipped the dagger to an overhand grip, and pushed outwards and to the side in order to deflect it.

“Right now you’ve got the advantage. I’m in your range, but you’re not in my range. Plus you have additional momentum in the weight of your staff.”

The second swing came quickly as she was still talking. She made an awkward block with the dagger while at the same time stepping to the side to help absorb the energy of the strike.

“The longer I stay out there, you’re going to eventually batter me down. So instead, I need to drive myself forwards, into your guard, faster than you can step back.”

If Clyde tried to do a few more thrusts with the staff, she would mostly keep her distance by blocking and occasionally trying to get around the tip of his staff with lunges and sidesteps. However, when he next made a swing at her, she would use the heartbeat of the upward swing to start her rush forwards and as it came down, she would block using the dagger but slide right down the staff near to where he gripped it.

If she managed to pull of the maneuver, she would briefly make a grab for his staff to emphasize what had happened. “And now you’re within my range.”

Letting go, she was more than happy to continue with the spar, or leave it as just a demonstration for dagger tactics.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on September 14th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Clyde watched as Sayana prepared herself, limbering her body and bending her knees. While he might not have the full finesse she did, nor the dexterity or skill, that didn't mean he was completely hopeless. Regardless of all else Clyde was a learner, and while he might fail today he knew he'd do better the next time. And the next. And the one after that, until he finally got decent enough to do something passably.

Persistence was a tool he'd honed over the years, and was one of the reasons he was decent in many of the things he was. And why he wasn't a djed leeched husk. Persistence and patience, and a measured pace in all things.

Clyde came at Sayana with his staff, something she easily deflected. She spoke as she moved, teaching as she went and explaining things, or in some cases reexplaining so as to try to make doubly sure he recalled the fact.

Deflection, blocks, moving with the blow instead of taking it head on, all were techniques she utilized. Even with her explaining what she was doing, and what she was about to do, he could do little to stop her as she swept beyond his defense and offense. He of course didn't give up, doing his best to learn and hone his skills, but he wasn't terribly surprised when Sayana triumphed.

In a moment of intense action she moved, blocked, moved more, and then slid in within his range as easily as a fisherman would bait a hook.

Just as he realized what she'd done Sayana gripped at his staff, taking leverage on it and possession of its control, therefore stopping him from using it on her.

Once she'd thoroughly shown she'd succeeded, Clyde nodded to her to signify his defeat.

“Maybe next time I'll do better. I've a lot to learn, but then I've not had too many chances to really fight as such, I tend to rely on my magics. One should of course play to their strength, but at the same time you don't want to become overly reliant on a single skill or set of skills... You never know when one might fail, or not fit the situation. Or when a weapon might not be available when you most need it...”

As he spoke Clyde headed back over to the fire, inspecting its warmth and light. Smiling for a moment, Clyde turned back to Sayana.

“But of course, when you aren't skilled yourself, its often simpler to find those who are to act in your stead than to learn the skill. Everyone doesn't make their own shoes, but when they need a pair they go to a cobbler. I suppose most any skill or thing can work as such. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try to learn some of it yourself, but nothing wrong in having others to act in your stead.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sayana on September 18th, 2017, 10:57 pm

As she saw the realization light upon his face, seeing the maneuver for what it was, Sayana smiled and hoped that he would also understand how it could be applied to him when he was the one holding the dagger. The sparring was done, but it had been a fine dance.

Sayana listened as he remarked upon the lesson and skills in general. Despite the usual attitude he maintained, he was surprisingly humble and willing to learn in new situations such as this. The Eypharian clipped her dagger and sheath back onto her belt and went to retrieve the other one in which the mage had been using. Yes, other skills to fall back on. But really, when would Clyde ever be without magic? It was as though the magical essence pulsed through his very soul.

After collecting the weapons, she returned to the fire and did a quick flip of the fish. They were a little overdone, but quite decent despite the distractions of the cook and the diner. She served a large portion to Clyde and a more modest sized piece for herself.

“To be prepared for a multitude of situations is a sign of strength and flexibility. And to hire or gain the talents of others in your stead is a sign of resourcefulness. Both are admirable assets.”

Sayana paused a moment to take in the wizard. Clyde Sullins, possibly the most powerful mage she had ever met, the man she slept with and made love to each night, the one she traveled across the continent in search of a fallen star. Her gaze lingered on his blue eyes, regardless of how fast he shoveled food into his mouth.

“So long as I stand by your side and have daggers in my hands, you will always have my strength, Clyde.”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on September 23rd, 2017, 1:15 am

Clyde bent and flexed his joints, getting his body back into normal working order as Sayana retrieved and put away her daggers.

While Clyde wasn't a humble man, neither was he unable to point out his own failings. In that regard, if not many others, Clyde was rather self aware. He understood his strength, and for the most part respected his weaknesses. While others might see his actions and words as exaggerated or conceited, Clyde simply felt it was an accurate response to his above normal skills in the things he was skilled in.

That being said, he had little interest for things he had little interest in, but using his staff to fight along with fighting with daggers were both things he found of interest.

Once they returned to the camp the food was quickly done, and Clyde tucked in to his portion. As usual he seemed to more inhale the food than to eat it, eating in the same absentminded way he usually did.

Clyde still had taste and had things he didn't like to eat. For the most part with eating though he simply did so without full thought, quickly but not messily, until the food was gone. Fullness wasn't often something to occur, and he always seemed hungry. Likely due in part to his regular use of magic and therefore djed usage.

Smiling at her somewhat dramatic statement, Clyde finished chewing and swallowed the list bit of his food, having already finished eating it all.

“Thank you Say. Its good to hear, good to know you have an ally at your side. And if you have need of my strength, you know you need just ask. I wouldn't see anything happen to you that I could prevent.”

To a degree Sayana's protection and allied status was assured by her oath to him. But while that stopped most foreseeable threats, Clyde knew better than most how fickle such things could be. He knew better than to depend entirely on such things, and that having someone willingly on your side was often better than an oath.

It was one of the reasons he generally only used such oaths to stop direct or indirect but intentional things from the signor, and not all possible things. Every oath he made was better than the last, but he knew in the end they were made by him, and so open to interpretation by others who signed them and thus their actions not totally controllable.

But still, the oath was a good thing to have to fall back on, should their relationship ever sour. Not that Clyde had any intent of letting that happen, but his numerous life experiences forced him to take that into account as a future possibility.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous