PM to join Getting Out Of The Bad Books

Baran has been idle for too long, and now his life is on the line.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Getting Out Of The Bad Books

Postby Baran on September 10th, 2017, 12:10 pm

1st Autumn 517 AV
"Speech"

Knock. Knock...

The sound came from the door. Baran, blissfully ignorant of his surroundings, lay in ugly slumber on the unmade bed. His gamba was the only thing in good condition in the room. Everything else was a mess. Scribbled scratches of parchment cluttered the floor, and a rain-stained cloak left a damp patch on the rug. The shutters clunked gently in the wind. Back by the door, the handle began to turn, but the key had left it locked and so the stranger at the door swore and left off. The man lying asleep thought he could hear mice, or rats, in the wall. But the dream couldn't wake him. Not even when the stranger unlocked the door, and came in.

Hands. Hands were gripping his throat, making him choke and stutter... "Hey, HEY!" He awoke, startled, the dream having finally convinced him to be concious. He wasn't being strangled to death, but there were rough hands pulling him rudely upright. "What is it, what d'you want?" Baran's voice was cracked into a thousand pieces, a consequence of late nights and plentiful smokes. A jagged frown cut his forehead and he blinked through the nighttime that still cast clouds over his vision, even though it was now daylight, and had been for a while.

The figure that had invaded his room was tall, vaguely menacing and certainly more well-presented than the scruffy wastrel musician that Baran had now become. The stranger's voice spake, and the voice sent a shock through his system. "You have not paid your rent... sir. So you're out. Others want this room." That was enough to wake him fully, and finally he fully gazed at the intruder, only to discover that it was Tarsin himself. Baran pulled away, peeling back and taking in a gasp of the musty air of the room to steady himself. Think, petcher, think. "I can pay the rent. I can." It was a lie... at the moment. He couldn't think of a way to pay, not just yet.

Ever since the reoccurring dreams of a band of mysterious musicians had overtaken his every waking and sleeping moment, Baran had slipped further and further into a state of atrophy. With his every thought focussed on trying to understand what, exactly, was the subject of his dreams, he had forgotten or cast aside the fact he needed money to pay rent and buy food and ultimately to survive. Now he was virtually penniless and half-starved, fed only on a diet of tobacco, ale, and the scraps of food that he sometimes remembered to buy for himself. If only he had known how close he was to losing his freedom entirely perhaps he would have spent his seasons differently, but it was too late now. Or almost too late.

"Look, we know you cannot pay. Just gather your things and leave. This is not an option. I'm being kind too. In fact, I'm half-tempted to just kick you out and take your things as payment." The man began to take stock of the room, and finally Baran's survival instinct kicked in. Not for himself, but for his gamba that lay like a tantalising treasure amidst the scrapheap of the rest of the room. "No! Okay, hear me out. Please." Baran would beg and plead if he had to. An idea was forming as he spoke, and he knew that if he didn't he would be on the street with nothing but the clothes on his back.

"I'm a musician. Yes? That's a skill not many have, and I'm good at what I do. People like what I play. I have experience of many, many cities in Mizahar. I bring entertainment and variety to this... to this beautiful city. Why couldn't I give some of this, no, all of this to your establishment? I could make it the place for anyone and everyone to stay. I'll play for free, every night. No!"

"I will organise a concert. For everyone in Ravok. And I will give all the profits back to you. All of 'em. I'm completely certain I can get a nice amount of mizas. I won't just pay back my debts, I'll make you double what I owe."
He wasn't certain in the slightest, but a grand plan was sure to impress. Whether he could pull it off or not was another question, but it would have to come later. Desperate times called for desperate measures, after all.

Sleep still held him in it's insidious embrace, but now he was fighting it rather than letting himself drown. Although the incessant drum beat of the dream still wore away at him, the musician ignored it for the first time in a long while. All his attention and hope was now focussed on Tarsin. His home, his reputation, and although unknown to him, his life were on the line. All of it hinged on the verdict of the man that stood judgementally above him.
Baran
"If you steal my gamba, I will gut you."

Words: 64397
Joined roleplay: March 4th, 2016, 12:27 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Getting Out Of The Bad Books

Postby Baran on September 10th, 2017, 4:19 pm

"Speech"
He was a beggarman of his own, wretched making. Internally he was cursing, even as he smiled with his best, hoping for a miracle. It would be beyond humiliating to be kicked out. The thought of it was like bile in his mind, and he pushed it down as far as it could go. All that mattered, for now, was that he accepted what the musician had to offer. Tarsin stared down, thoughts presumably tinkering behind his eyes. "And hey, at least let me get decent."

Tarsin nodded, and Baran rolled groggily from the bed. He was clothed, for the most part, but he grabbed the crinkled shirt from the floor and pulled it over his torso. He looked like shyke, and felt it too. His hand began to search for his pipe, but he stopped himself. Tarsin didn't want to see a weak man, he wanted to see someone capable of making deals and making mizas. Baran would be that man, at whatever cost to his dignity. He waited patiently.

"Okay, listen up. You seem a decent man. I don't trust you, but I don't mistrust you. Now, I will move you from this room. Don't complain! You've got a common room anyway. You can't afford it so you should be in one where you will have to pay less. You will clean this one from top to bottom, and you will give the key to me." Baran nodded, silently standing and trying not to waver. Last night's alcohol still lingered somewhere in his system, giving his balance a slight shove now and then. "Next, I will hold off on evicting you. If you haven't paid me in full by the end of the season, you're out without question. Understand?" Again, he nodded, understanding writ clear across his grey face. Baran was beginning to regret standing so suddenly. The drumbeat pounded through his head, and the gentle bang-bang of the shutter now sounded like a man stomping on his skull. It wasn't pleasant.

"Get moving... sir. If you are not out within a bell, you will be at the mercy of Rhysol." That was a threat if ever there were one. Rhysol, the merciful god of the city, probably wouldn't take too kindly to one who disregarded the rules. Baran's own knowledge, although shady, of the deity Ionu and their protection of Alvadas meant he knew what happened to those that displeased the patron god. Rhysol was good to his people... but Baran wasn't his people.

As Tarsin exited the room, Baran felt his inner self collapse. The weak strings that had been holding him upright went slack, and his hand finally found the pipe. He knocked what remained of his tobacco into the funnel, and searched for the flint and tinder to light it. His hands were shaking, not from addiction, but from sheer fatigue and adrenaline. This wasn't a dangerous situation at all, at least not yet, but Baran was a weakened man stuck in a permanent dreamscape. Tarsin's harsh words rang of finality, so he poured his effort into the clean-up of the pigsty that was his room. Although first, he smoked.

On his hands and knees, he swept up the trails of crumbs and dried muck and parchment that lay in torn strips and collected them into a pile. It took twenty chimes, longer than he hoped. Next, he gathered all his belongings together and piled them into his pack. It bulged uncomfortably, but remained fastened. This took fifteen chimes. He was now racing, eager to complete all that he must. The bone-weary musician grabbed the shutters unceremoniously, and pulled them back until they were fastened to their clutches. The light was blinding and pierced through the smoke like a heated lance. He swore a muttered, "Petch", before he ran down to the foyer and demanded a dustpan and brush.

The startled girl at the counter produced one without a word, and Baran ran back upstairs to collect the pile of filth. His hands were dirty, his clothes were too, and crumpled. But he scooped up the dirt and deposited it out into the canal below. Finally, he pulled the sheets up, lying them as straight as he could. Now he was red-faced from running, out of breath from lack of hydration, and feeling faintly sick from smoke inhalation. But Tarsin was back, and after a brief scan of the room, the two headed across the corridor silently. After a short flight of stairs, they arrived at his new room.
Baran
"If you steal my gamba, I will gut you."

Words: 64397
Joined roleplay: March 4th, 2016, 12:27 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes