Sayana's Mentoring Program

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Sayana on June 27th, 2017, 2:18 am

Current Mizahar “Apprentices”:
Andral Mydrafi
(1/3)

Current Schedule Notes:
Periodically throughout August I will be away at a family cottage. For the most part I still have internet, but it's limited (to my phone). Generally I will only be away for a few days before/after/during a weekend.

What I can do:
1) Take a look at your CS (character sheet)
2) Give feedback on realism regarding history/race/magic etc.
3) Suggest starter skills/lores for a given character idea
4) Suggest potential jobs for your PC and advise that jobs are crucial for playing solidly in Mizahar
5) Suggest potential starting cities if you’re not sure where to start
6) Answer questions about Mizahar, both questions about IC lore and OOC rules/mechanics. I don’t know everything, but I know a good chunk.
7) Play matchmaker. I know a lot of PCs here and if there happens to be someone who has similar traits or other reasons that might make a good roleplay, I’ll happily refer you to them.
8 ) Point you in the direction for coding / boxcode help
9) Brainstorm some simple plots if you need a ‘first thread’ idea

What I cannot / will not do:
1) I cannot give your CS a checkmark, since I’m not a CS Liaison Staff or a ST (storyteller)
2) Unfortunately, I will not start a new thread with you. I struggle enough to keep on top of all my current plotlines that it’s only on a rare occasion that I’ll have time to accommodate a newbie around the time they join Miz
3) I cannot grant you a job. Only Domain Storytellers (DS’s) and higher can do this.
4) I cannot grant gnosis marks. Start a new thread in the Help Desk (HD) and apply for one that way.
5) I won’t make you a boxcode, however I can point you to templates or someone who does make boxcodes

My strengths:
- I like chatting with new members, I tend to be quite friendly regardless of a player’s experience, I know the Mizahar lore reasonably well, and I’m frequently online
My weaknesses:
- I don’t do well when things pile up (hence a limit of 3 newbies to mentor), I’m not good at waiting for someone who I think has gone inactive, I need my breaks

On with the Posting!
Please feel free to ask questions on this topic, especially if they are reasonably short or questions that might benefit other newbies too. Chatter is welcome too.

For detailed questions and help getting set up (eg. Checking your CS), please ask to become an apprentice/mentee and also include what you would like help with.

This is so that I can limit myself to just 3 people at a time. Once you’re feeling set up, let me know so I can take you off the list and I can help other people.

A Note about Timing
One last thing, if I haven’t gotten a reply from someone for about a week, or they haven’t signed in for a week, then I’ll take their name off my list of apprentices. I just want to focus on new new newbies, to get you settled in.

Similarly, I may skip old requests. If I skip yours, feel free to re-post or PM me saying “Gosh darn Sayana! You skipped me! *shakes fist*”
Last edited by Sayana on September 26th, 2017, 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Sayana on June 27th, 2017, 2:20 am

Additional References & Resources

Current Open Cities (Updated June 26, 2017)
- Ravok
- Sahova
- Riverfall
- Endrykas
- Syka
- Alvadas

Some Helpful Links
BBC Code Guide

More content coming soon... Frequently asked questions may find their way here
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaiu on July 6th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Official request for mentorship.

I could definitely use it as I begin to get settled in, so that I don't miss something crucial or anything bad like that.

Things I need help with -
  • CS look over and feedback
  • Potential plots for first threads
  • Potential jobs

Thanks! I'll see you around.
Kaiu
a beast within and without

Words: 5336
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2017, 11:33 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Postby Sayana on July 7th, 2017, 12:16 am

Hi Kaiu,

I've added you to my list of current apprentices. I'll just take things one at a time starting with your CS.

1) The most notable thing I saw was that Kaiu was born in Riverfall, in the year 300. The Jamouran race actually stayed hidden in the Spires for many centuries after the Valterrian before finally coming out into the rest of the world. From the Jamoura Lore: "Over the next four hundred years, the Jamoura remained hidden from the outside world, safe in the great forest of Spires."

Also: "Into the fifth century after the Valterrian, it was Marn, who, still alive and quite active, made the decision to make contact once more with the outside world and offer to those who were ready, aid in seeking their inner selves."

This means it's highly highly unlikely for your Jamoura or his parents to have left the Spires prior to 400AV. You're welcome to be one of the first Jamoura to leave, but I think it'd be good to stick to the lore on this one, or else ask a ST or the Help Desk.

2) Minor detail - Age: Since Winter hasn't yet come for 517, he would be 216 years old given that birth date.

3) Racial bonus is only 10 exp, instead of 15. So Wilderness Survival of 10 RB.

4) "Falyndar Jungles: Fauna" is a little broad (although passible). If you were still planning to do the hunting thing, you might specify something regarding prey animals. But I hear you're changing your mind on hunting.

5) "Simple Cloak or Coat" - Pick one :)
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on July 7th, 2017, 1:58 am

Hi Kaiu,

Regarding potential jobs in Syka, I think you mentioned that there are currently too many hunter/gatherer types. Maybe think one step beyond the very bare necessities of food. For example, Cooking or Food Preservation. (If a large animal was taken down, it would be such a waste if everyone feasted but by the next day, half the animal was uneaten and filled with maggots). Maybe crafting tools or shelters from the types of things that have been gathered. Or using herbalism/philtering to come up with medicines, dyes, thatch, candles, bugspray... I'm only slightly joking about the last one. In the tropics there are numerous bugs, heavy rains, and sometimes things just rot if left too long in the damp.

Alternatively, there might be a rare commodity found only in Syka (or 'habitable' Falyndar) that might get shipped back. Things like coffee, cocoa, sugar cane, maybe rubber (or maybe not, I'm not sure when that got invented or understood). If the ship "Veronica" takes frequent trips to Riverfall, maybe there are delicacies that could be sold there. So long as they aren't traded in from Kenash. I can't remember if Kenash already has plantations for all of those. Maybe you'll need rarer stuff.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaiu on July 8th, 2017, 4:07 am

1) The most notable thing I saw was that Kaiu was born in Riverfall, in the year 300. The Jamouran race actually stayed hidden in the Spires for many centuries after the Valterrian before finally coming out into the rest of the world. From the Jamoura Lore: "Over the next four hundred years, the Jamoura remained hidden from the outside world, safe in the great forest of Spires."

Also: "Into the fifth century after the Valterrian, it was Marn, who, still alive and quite active, made the decision to make contact once more with the outside world and offer to those who were ready, aid in seeking their inner selves."

This means it's highly highly unlikely for your Jamoura or his parents to have left the Spires prior to 400AV. You're welcome to be one of the first Jamoura to leave, but I think it'd be good to stick to the lore on this one, or else ask a ST or the Help Desk.

2) Minor detail - Age: Since Winter hasn't yet come for 517, he would be 216 years old given that birth date.
  • Fixed, thank you.

3) Racial bonus is only 10 exp, instead of 15. So Wilderness Survival of 10 RB.
  • Fixed, changed Wilderness Survival to 20 total. I'm thinking of adding Architecture, Carpentry, Construction, Drawing, and Leadership as skills, so that Kaiu can make some homes to help build up Syka a bit. IC, his reason is that he's attempting to become on of the best builders in Syka, and try to influence it so that they live more like the Jamoura in The Spires, rather than the Sylirans.

4) "Falyndar Jungles: Fauna" is a little broad (although passible). If you were still planning to do the hunting thing, you might specify something regarding prey animals. But I hear you're changing your mind on hunting.
  • Thinking 'Basic Construction Techniques' here, to go with the above.

5) "Simple Cloak or Coat" - Pick one.
  • Chose Coat. Or Cloak. One of them, i'unno.
Kaiu
a beast within and without

Words: 5336
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2017, 11:33 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Postby Sayana on July 8th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Hi Kaiu,

I think your CS is looking pretty good. Kaiu would still probably have spent his childhood in the Spires (since the Jamoura only started leaving after the year 400), but he might have a lot of Riverfall culture from spending so much time there.

The Builder/Construction sort of character sounds exciting :D I haven't yet seen one in Syka, but I think they could certainly use someone in that line of work since it's such a new settlement.

In fact, I think one of the 3 founders of Syka has expert/master carpentry. Maybe Kaiu would end up working with him, or maybe Kaiu might start to rival him for more holistic and jungle-esque shelters/buildings. It might be worth looking into the architecture of the Spires, since maybe Kaiu learned a thing or two back in his youth that he might try out in Syka.

I also noticed that Gossamer has a neat 'fire' seasonal event going on, where PCs have the opportunity to create fire with their minds during this season. You might want to look into it as a fun thread idea (although I think it requires the PC to first create fire mundanely before they get the temporary ability).

If you're feeling good about the skills and your PC's job, you might want to ask around if anyone needs help building a simple shelter or hut or shed. Just keep in mind that you're still quite novice. So either build something easy, or build something complicated (but maybe make some big mistakes and watch it fall down once or twice, lol). Or ask if the Carpenter Founder would help Kaiu, or visa versa.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Maiken Talwoad on August 10th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Hi I am new to forums how do I do things?

http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic70502.html - my CS

I've got loads of ideas for plotlines, but I'm not sure if the style I'm going for meshes well with the mentality here. I like combat based plot progression and dynamic storytelling, but people here seem to focus on static settings and character interactions. Should I give up?

Thanks
Maiken Talwoad
Player

Words: 5433
Joined roleplay: August 7th, 2017, 5:46 pm
Race: Human, Vantha

Postby Sayana on August 10th, 2017, 8:11 pm

First off, welcome to Mizahar!

When it comes to plots, I find there is lots of opportunity for dynamic stories however sometimes they have to be tempered to fit realism, theme and the timestamp system of Mizahar. For example, sometimes travelers find it frustrating on Miz because we have such a strong theme that it is dangerous in the wilds, and also that it takes real time to factor in for traveling.

Usually I chose to do a thread in a single location, but I have also had threads where characters troop about to many locations within a city.

For combat threads themes, there are lots of opportunities. However, some ideas may have to be tempered by realism. If you start a bar fight, you may have authorities to deal with. Mizahar also does not have many battles happening due to its theme, but almost every city has its own military.

Lastly, character interactions can be static or dynamic. I've had both. It doesn't hurt to let the other player know what you're hoping for and see if something can come about. Not every player will be accommodating in that manner but you can ask.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on September 26th, 2017, 11:11 pm

Got someone new to help out! :D

Andral Mydrafi
- CS overview
- People in Ravok to thread with

Jotting this down partly for my own sanity, and to let other mods know that at least one person is looking into the CS (although probably not the last, since I can't checkmark CS's).
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next