Paddling their feet in the sea

Fishing from the shore (Jade)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Ashka on October 1st, 2017, 11:25 pm

30 Fall 517

Ashka stretched slowly as the sun lifted over the horizon and scattered untouchable glints of gold on the tips of the waves, lifting first one arm over her head, and then the other. Too many bells bent over her loom yesterday had left her shoulders stiff, and she rolled them, trying to loosen up. It looked like today had better be something other than weaving. Fish leapt in the gilded waters of the bay and she laughed. Was that a sign from Laviku, co-incidence, or a suggestion? Either way, fishing would make a wonderful change from working at her loom.

Chaya came yawning to join her, and they sat side by side in the early morning, sharing a slab of sticky rice and coconut for breakfast. When they had finished, Ashka nudged her sister with her elbow.

Chaya elbowed her back. "What is it, Ash?"

"I'm thinking it looks like a good day to fish. Do you want to dig for bait, or sort out the lines?" Ashka glanced at Chaya's suddenly awake face.

Chaya grinned and bounced to her feet. "Lines are boring! I'll get the bait." She ran off to the edge of the jungle, where the house frame was, and began poking around in its shade.

Ashka kept one eye on her for safety's sake, and dug the fishing kit out of their pile of belongings. She laid out the contents on the sand, lines and hooks and small poles. A box for bait that she took over to Chaya. Weights and floats and salt-stained handprints. One of the lines had knotted itself into a tangle, and after Ashka examined and returned everything else to the kit, she sat on the stern of her canoe to untangle it. She was still there, bare toes dangling in the surf, and fingers full of half solved knots, when she heard Chaya call a greeting and looked up to make her own greeting to whoever it was.

Common, Pavi, Fratava
Ashka
Spinning between two seas

Words: 114863
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2017, 2:31 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Jade Laken on October 2nd, 2017, 5:50 am

Jade got up and went out to get a little something to eat for herself and Dina to split. She had to find someway to bring food into the house without having to worry about her daughter. Sighing the woman looked over to the right on the return trip seeing the waves gently hit the shore. As much as it made the girl uncomfortable a part of her knew that sooner or later she would have to deal with the water. But that was more difficult than most would think as she had never swam before. Many drykas that spent all their years in the sea never learned that very important skill, because if someone fell into the rivers or small lakes they always had someone to pull them out. Walking back inside a soft smile appeared on her face hearing the child was up and trying to get dressed. Putting the plates on the tables, she went to give her a hand before getting her set up at the table.

“Now eat up,” the woman said while getting them something to drink.

Returning to the table, she sat down and ate a few bites. The nerves were very evident in the way the woman sat thinking about the events that could and would occur that day. So much could go wrong on the water, if something were to happen to her. What would happen to Dina? Would she be taken in by a caring family or taken as a slave and sold off in Riverfall? The unknown scared the blonde to no end, but she had to prove stronger than it. Looking up realizing the child was just staring at her, the woman shook her head and asked her to repeat the question.

“I said what are we doing today mommy?” Dina asked again with a slight pout to her lip.

“We are going to meet somebody that I met recently and see if mommy can get some classes with her lined out. There is much I have to learn about this city and how to survive here. As much as I wish to learn it all within the safety of our home, that is not possible,” Jade explained in small words so the child would understand.

“Oh okay mommy. I am done may I go play with my dolls?” the child inquired with big eyes.

With a soft laugh, she said yes and watched the girl bolt for the bedroom. Sighing gently, the girl tried to force some kind of food down. Shortly after the table was clean and so were the plates; she called for Dina to hurry along and locked the door. Stepping on to the sand caused them both to take a deep breath. The mother looked in the direction that had been told to her. Pointing when the child tried to go the other way, they started their journey to find the girl who could help Jade learn. It did not take long with Dina being ahead for her to find their targets or at least the child her own size.

“Hello to you as well. I do hope we are not interrupting anything,” Jade stated with a small wave as her voice carried over the distance easily.
Jade Laken
Even the most confident fall to fear

Words: 194195
Joined roleplay: September 12th, 2014, 2:03 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ashka on October 7th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Ashka grinned. "No, come on in, just sorting out this fishing line so I can use it later." This was the other young woman with a child in her care, and one similar in age to Chaya. They'd met earlier in the season, helping another build a home. She was also another one with a faint Pavi accent in her voice and Ashka started instinctively to make the sign of greeting, only to find herself getting even more tangled in the fishing line as a result. "We - Chaya and I - thought we might do some fishing today, if I can prevent myself being the one caught in the line!" Ashka's smile was rueful and self-deprecating as she looked down at her trapped hands.

Chaya set the filled bait box down on the sand and bounced over to the other girl. "Do you want to join us? It's fun, honest, I do it with Ash all the time. I got a really big one the other day!" She flung her arms wide to show how big the fish had been. Ashka, remembering that Chaya had nearly been pulled over the side of the canoe, and that their visitor that day had fallen into the water, shook her head with a wry grin. "You had help, Chaya, remember?" To Jade she added, "It's safe enough for youngsters, especially if you're fishing from the shore rather than the boat. You may get a bit wet with the splashing, but your feet stay on the ground. Chaya gets - very enthusiastic about things - but yes, you're welcome to join us if you want to. We have lines enough, or will once I..." she lifted the hand and line tangle in demonstration and began to pick at it once more trying to get loose.

Common, Pavi, Fratava
Ashka

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Jade Laken on November 13th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Jade listened to the woman before her talking so easily about how safe the water was. Taking a nervous sideways glance towards the sea, the blonde swallowed and cleared her voice to calm her nerves. Shaking her head, the drykas had to remember her people lived in a world that wanted them dead every tick of every chime of every bell. Dina laughed and talked with the other child about her dolls and Jade’s paying profession in the city.

“Yeah my mommy makes bowls and even some cups!” Dina said with excitement.

The topic of her mother always seemed to excite the child for some reason. Jade had never been able to figure out the fascination the child possessed. She had always chalked it up to the fact, the little one had grown up without a mother for most of her already young life. Making a face, the adult shook her head no to the child. The girl was still working on teaching the child that boasting was rude and very selfish of her.

“Would you like a hand with that? I’m afraid I’ve never fished before,” Jade said gently while sitting down beside the woman.

She gently began pulling at the net which had her hands trapped in order to help her get free. The normal Drykas confidence was gone when it came to the aquatic world around them. Her people were horse lords of the plains that moved constantly. Now however, the woman was just like everyone else within the city trying to make a way for herself.

“Do you know pavi?” Jade asked rather surprised as it suddenly dawned on her.

She had not made the connection when the girl first used the signs which caused her hands to become tangled. The blonde watched the darker haired woman for a moment while trying to figure out if they had previously met. There was not many outsiders who knew the pavi signs that went with the speech.

NaNo Count329
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ashka on November 18th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Ashka smiled wryly as the other young woman came to help untangle the line from itself and her fingers. "Thank you." She hadn't missed the woman's wary glance at the sea, much the way she herself eyed the jungle warily. Like somewhere that danger lurked. The first of the three main knots came loose as she tried to think, but she was distracted by Jade asking if she spoke Pavi. "Yes," she admitted. "A little. My father was Drykas and I spent some time with him. But I should know better than to try and talk with my hands full."

She looked over at the children. Jade's little girl was chattering about dolls and the pottery her mother made. Chaya was chattering right back about the pretty shells she found on the beach, and looked right on the verge of towing the other girl off to show her the best spots. "Not too far, Chaya," Ashka warned her sister. "You know the rules - stay on the beach and within easy view. And be polite, she's a guest." Chaya pouted, but her pace altered from a headlong dash to a trot almost in midstride. Her chatter, Ashka noticed with an amused smile, hardly slowed at all.

Ashka turned back to Jade and the steadily loosening knots. "I've seen both seas, but I grew up on my mother's ship, mostly. We're used to water - both Chaya and I." She flicked a wistful glance at the waves. "I can teach you to fish, if you like. I won't laugh, truly - had enough of that myself when my father tossed me up on a horse..." She bit her lip as the confession slipped out. Drykas lived for their horses as much as Svefra lived for their ships, and her lack of ability was one more reason she'd never fitted anywhere.

Common, Pavi, Fratava
Ashka

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Jade Laken on November 26th, 2017, 10:02 pm

Jade walked over and snickered some slightly surprised when the woman attempted to sign a greeting to her. The blonde signed one back while watching her hands get trapped in the strange mass of lines. The woman figured it had something to do with the fishing she had come to inquire about. She was not completely sure about being ready for the new challenge, but the girl had to get some kind of food coming in to the home. The blonde was slowly beginning to run out of money, then she was not sure what would happen to the pair. Looking over, the girl found the two children still close by looking around on the beach.

“It is really nice to hear my native tongue again. In time I plan to teach Dina how to speak pavi,” Jade stated.

The blonde was nervous for their adventure within the water before them. Standing up for a moment, the girl popped her back in several places trying to calm her nerves. She sat back down once again and continued helping the girl undo her hands. With a soft smile, the girl was not surprised that she had forgotten. It took the pair at least another half bell to finally get her completely untangled.

“There much better. I suppose I am ready when you are,” Jade spoke gently.

The girl looked over when Dina ran over to her giggling. The small child showed off the shells that she had found while the other girl presented hers as well. Jade congratulated them and gushed over the small trinkets; she smiled as they ran off to make sand castles as Ashka's little sister called them. The mother was happy to see her daughter so happy in their new home. Dina had hated being dropped off at the orphanage back in Syliras.

“That is so cute dear,” Jade stated with a smile.

NaNo Count320
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ashka on November 27th, 2017, 12:30 am

Once the line was untangled, Ashka coiled it carefully so that it wouldn't tangle again, then retrieved the fishing kit from the sand nearby. As she named the pieces, she showed them to Jade, and then fitted them together to make it ready to use. "There are four parts that you need. The pole, the line, the hook and the bait. You put the bait on the hook," she drew a nice worm out of the bait box - Chaya had done a good job of filling it earlier - and pushed the hook through it. "toss the baited hook into the water, and hold onto the pole. Then you wait. If you're lucky, a fish thinks the bait looks tasty, takes a bite, and gets stuck on the hook. Then you haul it in. Sound simple enough?"

She laid out another set of pole, line, and hook for Jade and slid the bait box over. "Close to shore you mostly get smaller fish, but two or three of them is enough for a meal. We can get bigger ones by going out in the canoe," she nodded towards it, "but I wouldn't start you that way. Another day, maybe, when you've got the knack of fishing from shore."

When Jade was ready, Ashka checked on Chaya and her new friend, but they were safely nearby, and led the way barefoot into the water. She stopped at a depth that shifted between ankle and calf high, as the waves came and went. Facing into the waves, she flipped her line further out so that the hook dropped at its farthest reach and grinned. "Tide's going out, and the waiting can take a while, so we may have to follow it. Still, that gives time to get used to the feel of the water and sand."

Common, Pavi, Fratava
Ashka

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Jade Laken on November 28th, 2017, 7:08 am

Jade stood up and followed the girl over to where her fishing gear was. The blonde planned on getting some gear herself after getting some experience with the items under her belt. Nodding gently, she tried her hardest to remember what each piece was. There was only four to remember, but their placement and use was important to keep straight.

“Okay,” The blonde said with a nod.

The blond moved over beside the woman who was teaching her. Picking up the pole first, Jade slowly threaded the line through each area. Pulling it just a little, the girl made sure it had a good strength and grabbed the hook gently. Making sure not to poke her finger and cause it to bleed, the woman worked to get a metal piece tied on to the line. Once happy with its tightness, the blond picked up a worm next. It wiggled in between her fingers falling multiple times. Making a face, she squeezed a little harder to keep the animal between her finger tips. Poking the point through the worm; the woman pushed it down some and stuck another section of the worm into place. Afterwords the blond looked over to Ashka.

She followed the girl over to the water and watched her cast. Moving to the right of the woman, it took a few times for the blond to get the right amount of strength in her line. Shortly after walking up to the beach, the pair were busy working on the fish and had seemed to forget their two girls for a moment. Watching as the bait sailed through the clear sky, the blond saw it plop into the water. Keeping her eyes fixed on that one spot, she was on edge for half a bell hoping that nothing bit her bait. Jade was not used to this “fishing” so she would not be upset if Ashka got a fish before her. That would give the blond time to learn how to deal with the fish. Everything so far had seemed to go really well, after some time of standing in the sun the young drykas went and sat in some shade. Looking towards where the girls had been a small smile appeared on her face.

“If I may ask, Ashka. What happened to your family? Why are you out here taking care of your sister all alone?” Jade asked looking over at the woman.

NaNo Count408
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ashka on December 2nd, 2017, 6:10 pm

The fish weren't biting. Ashka suppressed a sigh. Of course, the moment someone wanted to learn, all the fish ran away and didn't take the bait. Still, fishing was a waiting game and Ashka settled to wait, one eye on the poles, and one eye on the people. Jade took to the shade after a while, while Chaya dragged the other little girl off to see what they could find in the rock pool. Crabs, maybe, or the kind of stringy seaweed you could fry until it turned all crisp and crunch it up.

She flinched a little at the question, and then shrugged, and looked at the poles. Nothing. They weren't going to save her. "My family? Web only knows. My mother's at sea, the water sort, on her ship. Dropped us off to spend time with our father only...." She shrugged again and tried with limited success to keep her voice light. "He never showed up out of the Sea of Grass. Don't have anyone else to take us in, and we needed to get out of Riverfall - it's not a good place for young girls to grow up - so here we are. We have each other, we do well enough."

She looked over to see Jade's reaction, then down at the sand. "What about you? Are you on your own too, with a little one to care for?"

The fish chose that moment to bite, and Ashka scrambled to her feet and lunged to grab her rod before it all disappeared under the water. The first grab missed, and she stumbled to one knee in the waves, then shoved herself up and grabbed again, successfully this time. She braced herself, legs apart, one hand above the other on the pole, squared gawky-wide shoulders, and hauled back. "Chaya!" she yelled, almost forgetting their guests, "we got a catch! Stand ready!"

Chaya whooped, and came running, stopping only long enough to scoop up a rock the size of her hand. "I'm ready, Ash! Haul us in a big one!"

Ashka laughed, let the fish run for a moment, the pole bending in her hands from the force of the pull, and then hauled it in again. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Jade's pole jerk as a fish bit down on that hook as well, but she hadn't a hand spare to help. She whipped the tip of the pole backwards - a flashy move that didn't always work - and the fish flew through the air and smacked into the sand. It thrashed there, trying to flip its way back into the water, until Chaya dashed over and pounded its head with the rock.

The sisters grinned at each other in triumph for a moment, then Ashka turned to see how Jade was doing and lend her a hand if necessary.

Common, Pavi, Fratava
Ashka

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Jade Laken on December 16th, 2017, 9:02 am

Looking at the girl before her a weight seemed to pull her shoulders down. The blonde knew that look; the girls had been left to fend for themselves. Ashka stating that very thing made the girl shake her head. Many Drykas no matter how old or wise would rarely go into the sea of grass on their own. She doubted the man believed the girls had survived after being dropped off by their mother. Looking out at the water, the mother tried to think of what it would be like to live on a boat. Groaning gently, she turned a little green remembering the ride over on The Veronica several seasons before.

“Ugh, sea travel was not for me. Dina took to it very well, and I was very grateful for it. I cannot imagine having taken that trip with her sick too,” the young mother said.

At the question of her own family the girl took a deep breath and looked up at the sky for a moment watching the world around them. She had wished it was getting cold and get out of the question by saying her daughter and herself needed to leave. Jade looked at the woman beside her and settled in while waiting for something to happen with the rods.

“My story is a rather unusual one. It is not like yours, but there are some things the same. My father was a loving man while I was growing up. He began to get more strict as I got older which is not unusual for Drykas. The longer I went without a suitor or a true “career” he began to see me as a disgrace. One night I heard him talking to my mother about me; I couldn't bear to see him upset and her sad. So I left and made my way to Syliras. There I meant a great guy and we actually adopted Dina together. Unfortunately it didn't work out so I traveled to Riverfall with my patron. I didn't feel at peace there so me and my little one loaded up on The Veronica and set up roots here,” Jade said and looked at the woman to see her response.

It was not long and there was a bite on one of the lines. Jerking up, the woman watched the girl as she worked to pull in the fish. Dina and Chiya both came running at the call from Ashka. The drykas put her hand on the child's head as they watched. Gasping the blonde moved quickly when the other rod began to pull out of the sand with a fish. Jumping the girl grabbed the rod before it got too far away. Standing up, she coughed out some sand and pulled back as much as possible. Grunting, the woman was stunned at the force behind the creature pulling away from her. It breached the water causing a large amount of water to fly every where.

The blond forced her right foot forward while keeping her left leg under her. She growled and jerked one good time done with all the fighting. Gasping, the girl ducked nearly hitting herself in the head with the animal. It landed on the sand and flopped around trying to get back to the water. Dina gasped and grabbed a rock doing what she had seen the other child do. The creature stopped moving instantly when its head had been smashed in. Panting the girl stood up straight slightly winded from the battle.

“Well that was more strenuous than I expected,” Jade said with a smile.
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next