OOC Info Suggestions & Development Discussion

The place where ideas are hatched and expanded.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Lhavit's development sub-forum. Within its threads you can find announcements, sign-ups, contests, and more!

Suggestions & Development Discussion

Postby Orkestar on July 31st, 2016, 7:00 am

Unlike Lhavit's OOC thread, discussions in this thread are exclusively for the development of the city. If you are planning to make a submission for a new location, NPC, or animal, you might want to first discuss the idea here before writing it up.

You can also use this thread for suggestions, such as seasonal goals and events, possible future quests, and anything else you can think of that would benefit Lhavit. Or if you have an idea that you want to see developed, but don't want to write it yourself, you can suggest it here and someone else may decide to take it on. Final submissions must be posted in the
Development Submissions thread in order to be looked over and approved.

Just remember to remain respectful when critiquing other people's ideas, no matter how crazy they sound. Anyone ignoring this rule will be crushed under the full weight of an adult okomo!
Orkestar
Praefectus of Lhavit

Words: 8859
Joined roleplay: July 23rd, 2016, 3:16 am
Race: Staff account

Postby Anjshfara on June 13th, 2018, 12:41 pm

I'd like to suggest a school and theatre for "Sacred dance" and dance theatre.

I'm new, but would love to do a character who is primarily a dancer/actor, in a tradition similar to the sacred dance of India. I think this would be consistent with the city. It could be seen as a focusing on something parallel to Bharta Natyam, and Kathakali (with strongly stylised gesture, but without the extreme makeup).

It would require a theatre/school, and at least one teacher. I'd hope to see performance at festivals, or at least at the same time.

These forms of dance require a high degree of physical skill, and generally involve meditation and are consider forms of worship. It may also engage in some measure of illusion or subtle morphing.

While dance, theatre, are major skills, storytelling, rhetoric, singing, musical instruments, meditation, body-building and mysticism are also involved.

I'm suggesting this because I'd like my PC to be a student there.
Anjshfara
Player

Words: 1402
Joined roleplay: June 13th, 2018, 9:45 am
Race: Human, Mixed

Postby Luminescence on June 13th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Hi, Connie! I'm glad to see you already getting involved; however, you should make your character sheet and settle on which city you're going to play in before anything else.

I wouldn't hold out on your PC being a student at the school you suggested, since it isn't actually a location as of right now. If you wish to play in Lhavit, feel free to look at the Atlas and see what locations already exist. In the meantime, I will definitely consider your suggestion. :)
Luminescence
Allow me to light the way

Words: 717627
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

Postby Kelski on June 13th, 2018, 1:03 pm

You can aways start one IC instead of manifesting something out of the blue. IC development is encouraged.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Anjshfara on June 13th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Thanks, both.

I'm working on my character sheet, but need to consider past history. There doesn't seem to be anywhere she could learn this. Aside from the Spinning Glimmer Club House, there doesn't seem to be much dance as a form of worship, or telling of sacred story. So I'm limited with flashback, or explaining how it fits. I can't say I come from elsewhere, because the cities that are open don't seem to have much of a dance tradition.

To start the theatre/school IC, I'd have to be older, and then without flashbacks, the starting package won't give enough points to really get to the point where she's skilled enough to carry it off starting a new venue. I had hoped with a school, I could start as a younger person. Obviously, these issues impact on character creation. Is she 35, or 15? Too bad there isn't a salon, or a theatre less than the opera house, If she's 35 and able to start a theatre, why is she so poor and inexperienced?

Perhaps they could perform at private gatherings, weddings, and such, as part of a less mainstream tradition, and her mother could be her teacher.

What are the rules for flashback?

I'm sorry if this is not the place for these questions. Where would be better.

I'm not
Anjshfara
Player

Words: 1402
Joined roleplay: June 13th, 2018, 9:45 am
Race: Human, Mixed

Postby Gossamer on June 13th, 2018, 7:12 pm

I hear a lot of 'cants' when all those things are actually 'cans'. *shrug* Its all about attitude here. You are clipping your own wings because ANY pc at any age can start to develop something and work towards it IC. You are throwing excuse after excuse out there, but the truth is YOU CAN DO ALL THESE THINGS as a new PC if you put in the thread work. Don't be so restricting of your PC. And don't used CLOSED cities as an excuse. IF we don't have something YOU WANT personally then make it happen IC and develop it. Don't demand we put it in because YOU THINK IT I FITS AND YOU WANT IT.

Do you honestly think every dance school out there in the world, even the ones about religious worship just appeared? No, someone started them sometime. And those people didn't necessarily have a long drawn out history of training someplace like Juliards.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)