PM to join [The Midnight Gem] A Gem of a Time (Kelski)

Kreig accepts an open inviation from Kelski for dinner, will it be a good time?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Midnight Gem] A Gem of a Time (Kelski)

Postby Rene Rafar on July 21st, 2018, 3:49 pm

Ren was content to just listen to the others talk and ask their questions of their guest though she would from time to time make her rounds refilling everyone's glass. She was content to watch and help everyone where she could.

Ren turned her head to Kelski to listen to her friend asking about the different foods that everyone liked answering her with a reply of "I like fish seeing as its free to catch out our back door." Waving a hand out over the water. "But I'm not against any other suggestions for our gatherings." Smiling at everyone.
Rene Rafar
Player

Words: 47214
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2018, 2:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aer'wyn Grisghul on July 23rd, 2018, 2:59 pm

It was strange how the four of them, each with a uniquely tragic and challenging past, came together to understand each other quite so well with such few words. Until Kelsey came into his life, Aer’wyn never thought he’d be able to rebuild the torn threads of his past but here he was, taking each day as it came. She had become something of an obsession of his. A creature to give him meaning and so he idolised her, adored her and became so fiercely protective of the Kelvic eagle. In a city of darkness and dirt, she was a glowing gem worth protecting. She gave him more than a job. She gave him hope.

Living with Kelvics was a surreal thing he grew used to so very fast. There was no secrets he needed to hide from them. Not even his magic and quite often he’d perform the morphing of his arm in front of them if a certain task needed the use of it. But mostly he enjoyed being in his own body there. They didn’t see his scar as anything to be ashamed off, no more than any part of their own bodies.

Ebon and Ren too became so very important in the Akalak’s life. Much like Aer’wyn, Ebon too had to learn to live with the loss of someone intrinsically important to his very existence. It was a mutual understanding that needed no words to explain. It was something they shared in touch, every time Aer returned home in need of patching up and the lion was always there to heal. The caring gesture of sliding a blanket over the boy when he fell asleep on the sofa after a large meal, the sweeping up of cat fur each morning. A brotherly wrestle in the afternoon breeze on the deck. There was an understanding between the two males, that no matter what, from the moment they met till the moment they die, Aer was there to protect him with his life; as he was for the others.

And due to this very primal need to se his friends safe, Aer was cautious about Kreig. Though the story he was soon to hear from Kelski’s lips softened the Akalak’s heart. There was an immediate respect there. Any friend of her’s was a friend of Aer’wyn’s.

Politely the Akalak nodded to Kreig. There as a gratitude in the gesture. “I… don’t even know what to say, other than I owe you a debt of gratitude on her behalf. If you had never helped back then, we wouldn’t all be here now.” His lip curled up in the most sincere of smiles. “I suppose it’s an honour to call you a friend.”

An ability to inspire was about what they all needed. Sunberth had a habit of sucking inspiration right out of a poor soul. “Plans for the city, you say? I’d be delighted to hear if you’d choose to share. Perhaps to see how I may come in useful. Granted I’d hate to bring up another dark topic if that’s the case.” He laughed nervously.

Soon enough Kelski’s question came about food. And he certainly hoped that Kelsey had sense enough to notice by now that he was happy to eat pretty much anything as long as it was edible and cooked. At his size, it seemed there was no satiating Aer’wyn’s perpetual hunger. Something had to keep those muscles working. He let the others answer, first Ren, then Kreig and Ebon before finally speaking his own answer. “You know me, Kels. I’m hardly picky.” And apparently also hardly helpful….

Credit for template goes to Luminescence :idea:
Aer'wyn Grisghul
I'm blue, dabu-di dabu-da...

Words: 107489
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2018, 2:43 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kreig Messer on July 26th, 2018, 11:11 am

Kreig tried to fight the blush that was forming, he really did, even covering his mouth with his cup to try and hide at but to no avail. He felt Kelski was building him as more, more than he already is and Kreig felt that he… wasn’t. He would admit that he was different from the average Sunberth yokel and stars above having a bit of magic and being marked by two guards certainly emphasized the point rather like a sledgehammer to a small nail but the truth of was… he didn’t really feel it, simply that he was different for his experiences and nothing more.

If someone walked his path, they’d might have done the same. Tapping his thigh, he could already think of a couple who could have done what he did and more, so really. And that vision for this city, well… that was simply how he viewed the city and what he felt it should be, it just happened not many shared that view especially the gangs he felt.

Ah should probably stop with the thinkin’ ’ He silently murmured. Unfortunately it seemed to have awed the Akalak who was apparently grateful for Kreig’s kindness to Kelski, even if the only a single lesson that seemed to have stuck with Kelski like glue.

“ It ain’t really a vision, ain’t even a plan” Kreig admitted “ ‘s jus’ me an’ the rest o’ Sunberth havin’ a difference of opinion on what Sunberth is and should be” He lowered his cup, yet his other hand ran through his hair as if trying to get rid of some nervous energy “ Sunberth… ain’t really had a good deal with magic an’ governments ya know? Before I was born there was this magic fellow an’ his goons who took over the city, an’ so after a bunch of years they kicked ‘em out. Same with the last bunch who took over, and the last, and the last” Kreig said, indicating Sunberth’s poor trouble of being ruled by those who seeked to abuse it.

“An’ even before the world went right to Shyke, the folks who ruled the city ain’t ruled the city nice either. So for folks after the world went to shyke felt… Free” He explained, motioning his hand to his neck and pulling off a collar “So… everyone was feelin’ right good about it, they was likin’ it like it was some sorta divine gifts. So anytime someone tried ta take over the Berth, or even if they do, they eventually run ‘em out. Especially folk who even knew a lick of magic an’ had nothin’ ta do with it, cuz they remember what magic did to them”

“ ‘S why gangs rise an’ fall so fast and Sunberth, why the big ones have ta move so carefully cuz whatever good they bring for the city, if they ain’t careful about pushin’ Sunberths temper an’ how hard well..” He shrugged “…Ya seen it I’m sure”

He sighed then, his voice growing somber “ Course, with Sunberth’s love for its freedom, it ain’t really doin’ anything with it. Jus’ goin’ through the rows till it all repeats again’ an’ again, lookin’ down on folks like Kel for bein’ slaves when back when no one had it better. Other cities movin’ forward when here we’re all standin’ still”

He leaned his head back and closed it, drawing a breath and exhaling “An’ all the other things we need but folks ain’t really bothering to do a lick about, jus’ wanting things ta be the same”

He looked at Aer’wyn, Ebern, Ren, and Kelski “What I’m wantin’ is ta keep our freedom, but I want us movin’ up, not down. I want this ‘ere city to grow, but I reckon’ the only way ta get it to grow is ta convince everone else wether they like it or not”

He stopped then, closing his eyes again and drawing a breath “Guess that there’s the vision” He said, then smiled sheepishly to Kel “Er… I’m partial to any kind of meat” He said, trying to change the subject as quickly as turning a page.
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kelski on August 12th, 2018, 1:24 am

Kelski nodded at Ren and Aer’wyn’s answer. Ebon, she already knew, loved fresh meat but would eat vegetables when coaxed. Everyone else seemed very routine. Kreig didn’t answer her question, but Kelski just figured he was being polite. While Aer’wyn and Kreig talked, and Ren refilled glasses, Kelski pulled out plates and dished up fresh steamed salmon, adding three skewers to each plate over the salmon so that everyone had peppers, onions, small potatoes, tomatoes and lemon to add to their fish. She added a fork and knife to each plate, and seasoned the meals before handing everyone a plate.

“I promised Kreig when he came for dinner we would not… talk of the future but enjoy the moment.” Kelski smiled slightly. “Though I cannot help it if he brings it up himself and Aer’wyn questions it.” Kelski said with a laugh, sitting down and pausing before she began to dig into her salmon.

She lifted her plate. “To Akajia, and all the other Gods and Goddesses represented here. We gather, I suspect, because they wish us to know and lean on each other. This world is hard. This city is harder. I am glad to know a true son of Sunberth and call him a friend. I am glad to know you Kelvics as well… the Healer, the Watcher, and you Are’wyn, the Protector. I am but the Jeweler, though I am thankful beyond belief that we have a place to do this…. to start a family of sorts, to gather and be stronger together than apart. And while I give thanks, I also pray that more of us will come together, and we will find our family growing.” Kelski said, lifting her plate unafraid and giving thanks joyously.

She hoped the others would do so as well… there was a lot to be thankful for. Kelvics were not lone creatures and it was Kelski’s greatest which that each of them would find a bondmate, doubling their ranks, and perhaps even Kreig and Aer’wyn would also open their hearts to companions as well. Sunberth wasn’t a place for lone survivors. It was a place where weaknesses could be downplayed and strengths utilized, but only if groups came together and formed.

“I’ve often seen the city as a rotted bloated dead thing decaying in the sun…. and the denizens of this city the bugs feeding upon its flesh as it decomposes. I want to change that… even if it is just under one roof at a time. “ Kelski said softly, then began to dig into her food, savoring the salmon. It was hard to ruin steamed salmon on a board, so she was glad she picked this meal to make.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Rene Rafar on August 12th, 2018, 5:29 am

Ren listened to what Kreig was saying intently while nodding at the right times as his words about his thoughts of the city.

Ren said thinking out loud "I could see what you are saying but it would take lot of convincing others to follow along with it. As things stand now it would be very challenging if not suicidal. On one hand you have the slavers who prophet well from their trade of supply and demand. Then you have the three major gangs consisting; one of the Night Eyes, who have an unknown agenda but to themselves. Two the Daggerhands who wanna run this city as their own and three the Sun births who have money backing them, I myself am not familiar with the Sun Births goals. And finally you have the main business owners who like things as they are to the point of making a prophet on the weak and poor. I'm not saying I wouldn't help to make life in this city better it just would be a challenge." Sighing she let the others ponder her words.

Taking her offered plate from Kelski with a nod of thanks and when everyone had been served she waited as Kelski gave thanks to the divine gods and goddess before lifting her own plate to the sky as her way of thanks. Ren sighed with contentment as she took her first bit of the salmon.

"This is very good Kels. Thank you for this wonderful meal and home may we all share this time of friendship and the gods willing we have many more like tonight." Saying all she was going to for now she tucked in to her dinner with full content.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aer'wyn Grisghul on August 14th, 2018, 10:49 pm

As if hypnotised by the little lesson in Synberth history, Are listened to Kraig intently. Every word was worthy of note. But the little bits about mages, those were of particular interest to him. Those words he held onto like a hungry jackal hangs onto meat. He’d known of the Berthian’s detest for magic, precisely why he kept it so very secretive, but a hoping heart looked none the less for any glimmer of hope that one day the attitude could change. Mind came up empty handed but a man with no hope is the poorest man of them all.

Res was far more level headed about it all. She had clearly a whole lot of knowhow about the city, some he didn’t even know. A man of combat knew little of the politics surrounding the dire straits of the city, but a learner alas he was.

Soon enough a plate full of food reached Aer’wyn’s hands however and suddenly all his attention shifted to it, as if the previous conversations never happened in the first place. He’d remember it before, he’d remember it after. But when the stomach’s growling, one doesn’t think, one eats. And a mountain ate a lot…

If it had been any other moment, he probably would have taken the criticism of him asking about Kreig’s future plans as a friendly scolding. Alas entranced by food like a puppet on the string, he barely took notice.

A prayer ripped him out of the carnivorous trance however. As Kelsey spoke he nodded his head, a wide smile on his face that made him seem particularly beautiful for a moment. A Grin of pride in this little home they forged. A little thread of paradise in the city of chaos. To the paradise he lifted his plate also, one that was already missing a good chunk of the fish.

‘Aer’wyn the protector’ did have a ring to it. A pretty great ring.

Credit for template goes to Luminescence :idea:
Aer'wyn Grisghul
I'm blue, dabu-di dabu-da...

Words: 107489
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2018, 2:43 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kreig Messer on August 19th, 2018, 5:21 am

Kreig’s fingers flexed, ears listening to words. Ren’s very own observations were simply thoughts that had crossed Kreig’s mind rather repeatedly, but there was a saying about such tasks one wishes to desperately fulfil.
Nonetheless he raised his place in salute to that strange mixture of salute and prayer. Kreig had many families, but none-ever seemed to be permanent; time, distance and diverging paths had seen to that. His brow raised and corner of his lip raised up of the titles she gave her friends. Was that what they were or how she saw them? The one title he had no illusions of was the Son of Sunbirth one, and that was only because he called himself that repeatedly.

“I ain’t got the words that ain’t just repeats of what ya’ll said. Supposin’ all I have to say ‘s time to eat” He grinned as he lowered the plate, picking up a piece of salmon and simply tossing it into his mouth. It was reatively good he had to say so himself, the fish meat just seemed to break down in his mouth.

He wasn’t quite sure he could call them save Kelski friends yet, not fully. But time and interaction would change that he was sure, and right now they were good company indeed and with good food there was absolutely nothing he could ask for this moment.

It all simply brought a smile.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kelski on August 19th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Kelski ate like a predator, efficient and neat, packing it away like she might not see another meal anytime soon. The female still had no excess on her bones, no soft strips of stomach flesh or dangling bits under her arms. Starvation had been too close last season and all her calories went into training foods that were slowly providing curves on her frame in the form of muscles. It kept her lithe and as long as her meals were healthy, she'd stay the way she was for a time.

"There's been something I've been meaning to talk to you all about. It's a bit of business, but its something that should be said." Kelski started out, gesturing with a fork full of delicious fish. She'd nibbled that bite, contemplative, and then made a wide loop of the area with her fork. "Baroque Bay. It's a decent place already, but there are quite a few lots for sale. Empty property is not good for business. Thriving businesses all around are better for business. But despite that, The Gem has been turning a fine profit. My loan is for two years with Goldfinger, but I will be able to pay it off in three seasons easily enough, and have coin left over for other investments. Now, three seasons sounds like a great deal of time and it is. I want you to all be thinking of what sort of things you might like to do after whatever it is you are doing now. Because I think Baroque Bay could use more businesses and I think setting you all up with some would be a great help to the community and a legitimate way to fight the gangs by strengthening this neighborhood. I intend at the end of my loan to buy the property adjacent to the Gem and create an events center of a sorts. More of a club that can be rented out for various things." Kelski said, gesturing west, to the property next door that was vacant with its own building doing nothing but perhaps housing brats and bums.

"Its my hope to help the rest of you eventually set up with your own businesses. Either financially, or through advice, or whatever means it takes if that's the direction you guys might be interested in going. It would be nice to have this area as a haven for mages and folks that are not of the bent the gangs are looking for. And if we set ourselves up nicely, we might be able to someday take down the Quay if it comes to needing that to happen. I know, you Kreig, might not want to be a fighter at Tall Johnny's the rest of your life.... you will grow older or will have fought all you might want to challenge someday and there might be something else you want to do. I know you are probably independently wealthy from your own winnings, but its still nice to forge bonds between businesses if you ever consider going into something like that. I don't know what sort of things fighters do after the fight, but surely there is something...." Kelski said, looking at Kreig thoughtfully.

She raised her glass to drink, then spent a moment looking at each of them and contemplating the future. Ebon she'd keep close, but if he wanted his own clinic, that was doable for sure... at least until he bonded with someone and was more mentally stable. For now he needed them as much as they needed him. And that was certainly true of everyone else there.

Kelski smiled, and picked up a kabob, enjoying the fruits of her labor while everyone thought it over and possibly responded.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Rene Rafar on August 20th, 2018, 11:57 pm

Ren listen intently to Kelski as she herself started to think what it would be like to have a little bake shop she was very interested in making sweets that are easy to hold in one hand or carry with them while traveling the city. As a courier Ren has had times where she could have used something like hand pies to carry with her on a long day delivering messages.

"Kel? What would you think about a small bakery that carries convenient hand held foods like muffins, little cakes and pies? Do you think something like that would be welcomed? I'm not very business minded but I do like to cook even if it is simple things." Ren asked softly with just a hint of shyness to her voice. "As much as I like being a courier its not something I could do for the rest of my life." Still not really comfortable with voicing her dreams of things she'd like to do.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kreig Messer on August 29th, 2018, 10:48 am

Well there was a thought Kreig didn’t consider, and it wasn’t the bit about him not wanting to be a fighter at Tall Johnny’s for the rest. He thought enough about that plenty of times; unless the opponent was sufficiently challenging then they bored him to tears. Oh could go through all the variations, but eventually that taps out. But to go from fighter to businessman felt like a blind leap even for him.

He was grateful for the distraction that was Ren for it allowed him to ponder his thoughts some more. Could he own a tavern? No, he’d no skills for it and would have had to hire people to do the work for him, then he’d be bored again. A fight club of sorts? No, there was already two and the other was at his own place of work which was literally chimes away from them.

There was one nagging thought, batting at him like an obvious choice like a sledgehammer to the knee but it refused to take form. He sighed, running a hand through his hair then transitioning to scratch the side of his neck.

“I’m gonna have ta think about it more, ya ain’t wrong Kel an’ it ain’t like I don’t think of the ‘after’… but fightin’ is whats been in me blood since I realized I have these things called fists” he admitted, then he tilted his head to Ren “though I’m likin’ Ren’s idea, ain’t ever been to place that don’t have folks a sweet tooth, an’ folks round ‘ere could pick up some bread for theirs meals an’ all that so ‘s steady business I’m thinkin’” And steady business is good business ultimately, so he thought so.
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

PreviousNext