PM to join Okomo Of Different Stripes

Saiyin meets Narifa, another glassblower, whilst decorating an Okomo for the festival.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Okomo Of Different Stripes

Postby Saiyin on August 19th, 2018, 6:17 pm

"Speech"
"Others"

"He sounds like a great man, your teacher. A special person." Saiyin reached for the paint pot that Narifa had left behind and dipped the brush herself now that it looked like the other woman had finished for the time being. She thought a moment on what she wanted to paint, and settled on reproducing the amber colour of the okomo. Maybe she would add swirls of green down the line, if she had the inclination. Then again, maybe not.

She wiped the excess paint on the grass, and then dipped it into a small pot of yellow before beginning to paint into the shiny horn. She glanced sideways at Narifa as she considered her question. After all, it was a rather large step to leap, from hobby to full time job. In hindsight, perhaps she wouldn't have made the leap in the way she had, but time didn't run backwards and she could only learn from life.

"When my father died, I was not in a good place. For a long time, I wasn't living, as such; I wasn't enjoying the sunshine or finding pleasure in the small day-to-day things that make life interesting. Hessel got me out of the house, and I used to sit in her tiny, cramped workshop whilst she tinkered. After a while, I decided to give it a go too. Well, I've gradually come to understand that there's no point in remaining downhearted when there's so much to enjoy in this life."

Saiyin brushed more yellow onto the okomo's horn. The creature was remarkably patient, for which she was glad, as painting wasn't her strongest suit. Even with the stillness of the okomo, Saiyin's attention was split between painting and between her conversation with the Inarta, which she found she was enjoying immensely. Not necessarily for the subject matter, although it was a treasure to find another glassblower, but for the easy way words seemed to flow between them. Despite her apparent willingness to speak about her less than cheerful past, the young woman didn't usually talk about such matters to just anybody.

"As for the workshop. I'd been surviving on Hessel's help for a while, and the last remaining drops of my father's savings, although he wasn't exactly brilliant with kina. I wasn't working as such, at least not proper jobs. I needed a profession, simple as that. Glassblowing had rapidly became everything to me in a short space of time, and it might have been a mad idea, but I thought to open a business. It was a bit of a mad idea because gods it's hard, but I think it will be worth it in the end."

She sighed and bit the inside of her cheek. It would work out in the end, she knew it, but sometimes she couldn't help but worry about the bit before. Where the problems could lie in waiting. "The problem is, if you don't mind me being completely frank, is that you don't really know just how much you don't know until you've started. And there's a shyke-load of things I don't know, if you'll pardon my bad language." She grinned a little, but the smile faded before she could really get it started.

"What else do you enjoy, Narifa? What are the little pleasures that make life interesting for you? Oh! Where will you be staying whilst you're here in Lhavit? I'll see if I can recommend anywhere to you."
Saiyin
~☆~

Words: 91451
Joined roleplay: March 17th, 2018, 3:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Previous