Solo [The Midnight Gem] No Pain, No Gain

Duncan, having settled into his new job and the comforts offered by The Gem, takes a break from his duties to attend to his training.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Midnight Gem] No Pain, No Gain

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 24th, 2018, 3:58 am

5th Day of Fall in the Year 518 AV

Duncan, having finished his primary duties for the day at, The Gem, took a bit of time for himself to brush up on his training. As one of Izurdin’s Hammer, maintaining one’s physical strength was essential to honoring not only the requirements of station but also to reaffirm his devotion to Izurdin. Engaging in the art of building one’s body to peak performance was considered a form of communion with Izurdin and it was a task that Duncan took quite seriously. Thankfully, The Gem housed a small room in the basement for just such a thing.

With The Gem closed for the day, Duncan made his way downstairs to the training room. Although he’d caught a glimpse of it a day earlier, he had yet to make use of it. As he entered, he smiled with satisfaction at what was available. While there were various targets set up for weapons training as well as a long board for balance and acrobatics, it was the set of weights, bar for pull-ups and the punching bag that pleased him most.

It was quiet, the rest of the denizens of The Gem busy with the various things that occupied them throughout the day and night. Duncan still had yet to learn their routines or understand exactly what they did to occupy themselves. The quiet was something that Duncan found relieving as he prepared himself for a good workout. He unbuckled his belt and removed his war skirt, sitting off to the side along with his boots, pants and toothed gauntlet. As he preferred to not wear a shirt, he was left in the nude as walked over to one of the small mats positioned in part of the room.

For an isur, being nude was nothing out of the ordinary and it allowed him full range of movement during his training. There were a few neatly folded towels on a nearby shelf which he noted for when he would work up a good sweat. To start, Duncan began with some preliminary stretches. Foregoing stretching was a recipe for injury and not something he was particular fond of.

He began with simple arm stretches. He folded his right arm over his chest to cross over to his other shoulder. With his metallic arm he applied gentle yet firm pressure. He did this for a few moments. His metallic arm did not need stretching or any other form of conditioning as it was always at the pinnacle of physical strength. When he’d finished with his arm, he worked on his legs. He bent each leg at the knee and used his arms to pull each on to his hind end, holding it for a bit and stretching out the thigh muscles. He then proceeded to position each foot on its toes and gently turn his ankle. This allowed for the foot and ankle muscles to loosen up.

Next, he laid down on his back on one of the mats. With his arms over his shoulders he positioned himself so that he could lift his body up with his arms and his legs, chest and abdomen facing up, his back arched. This would allow him to loosen his back muscles as well as address arm and leg muscles that were otherwise difficult to isolate.
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Words: 115439
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 3:24 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 24th, 2018, 3:59 am

He then stood and bent down to touch his feet; doubling over at the waist, he reached down and grasped his toes, holding the position for several moments before releasing. He continued this several times.

When he was confident that the stretching was sufficient, Duncan began running in place. As he did, he would, at a measured pace, drop down and perform a push-up before jumping back to his feet to once more run in place. He did this an easy 50 times before stopping for a break. While he was beginning to work up a bit of a sweat, it was minor at best. He stopped for a moment and retrieved a bit of water from a small pitcher on a nearby stand. The need for plenty of water was essential to his training and he realized he may have to pause long enough to refill the pitcher later on.

After a hefty drink, he returned to his training. The next part involved push-ups. Part of his normal training routine involved 100 push-ups followed by 100 sit-ups. Taking a position on the mat, he started his push-ups. Belly down, he put his arms out to his sides and bent them as to push the rest of his body up from the floor. His back remained straight as did his legs. With each push, he breathed out and with each drop he breathed in. He did this over and over again, counting quietly as he did. After 100 push-ups, he repositioned to lay on his back, his knees up, his arms crossed over his shoulders. Then, 100 times over, he sat up. He timed his breathing with each rise and fall and clenched the muscles of his abdomen.
As he engaged in his workout, he sent his thoughts to Izurdin and between counting, he spoke to the God. “Izurdin, I’ve arrived in the City Beyond the Eyes of the Gods. It is as you said it would be, a city of refuse, a city beyond the light. I see so much suffering, a struggle for survival with each passing day. It is almost without conscience. Yet…I have found a light amidst the shadows. Ironically, they are followers of the Goddess, Akajia, Mother of Shadow.” Duncan ceased his sit-ups once he reached 100 and stood. He then moved over to the bar positioned in a doorway and designed for pull-ups.

Gripping the bar, quite a bit taller than he, at shoulders width, he began his 100 repetitions of pull-ups. As he did, he continued to speak to Izurdin. “They are mostly Kelvic. They are unique beings, baring a strange innocence along with an instinct that is undeniably primitive. They are intelligence, thoughtful creatures who bare the surprising ability to transcend mortal form and take that of the beast. Although they are far from the physical capacity of an isur, they have perfected a physical ability that I admit, confounds me. To change one’s form in such a drastic way is nothing short of miraculous. It leaves me wondering what Istaris would be like if she were Kelvic. I don’t know if ixam can even be Kelvic but even in her present state, she seems equal in so many ways to them.”

Duncan paused a moment, hanging on the bar as he recalled his count…55. He continued toward the 100 count as he communed with the Father of Strength. “This Kelski, she is, remarkable. She is so small, so fragile a creature yet there exists within her a strength that I have not seen in one not like us. She bares a strength to be respected. A merchant, a warrior and from what I understand she may even possess magical aptitude. Then there is Ebon, the Lion. He is broken, that much I can tell. Yet his physical strength is remarkable. While he doesn’t fully accept it for what it is, his strength could rival that of an isur. He is kind, gentle yet the power that exudes from his body is undeniable. Of course, I could not forget Ember. She is but a child yet there is a wisdom in her eyes that defies her physical age. Childlike innocence combined with uncanny insight and wisdom, these creatures are truly blessed.”
Last edited by Duncan Rightstone on September 24th, 2018, 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 24th, 2018, 3:59 am

He then stood and bent down to touch his feet; doubling over at the waist, he reached down and grasped his toes, holding the position for several moments before releasing. He continued this several times.

When he was confident that the stretching was sufficient, Duncan began running in place. As he did, he would, at a measured pace, drop down and perform a push-up before jumping back to his feet to once more run in place. He did this an easy 50 times before stopping for a break. While he was beginning to work up a bit of a sweat, it was minor at best. He stopped for a moment and retrieved a bit of water from a small pitcher on a nearby stand. The need for plenty of water was essential to his training and he realized he may have to pause long enough to refill the pitcher later on.

After a hefty drink, he returned to his training. The next part involved push-ups. Part of his normal training routine involved 100 push-ups followed by 100 sit-ups. Taking a position on the mat, he started his push-ups. Belly down, he put his arms out to his sides and bent them as to push the rest of his body up from the floor. His back remained straight as did his legs. With each push, he breathed out and with each drop he breathed in. He did this over and over again, counting quietly as he did. After 100 push-ups, he repositioned to lay on his back, his knees up, his arms crossed over his shoulders. Then, 100 times over, he sat up. He timed his breathing with each rise and fall and clenched the muscles of his abdomen.
As he engaged in his workout, he sent his thoughts to Izurdin and between counting, he spoke to the God. “Izurdin, I’ve arrived in the City Beyond the Eyes of the Gods. It is as you said it would be, a city of refuse, a city beyond the light. I see so much suffering, a struggle for survival with each passing day. It is almost without conscience. Yet…I have found a light amidst the shadows. Ironically, they are followers of the Goddess, Akajia, Mother of Shadow.” Duncan ceased his sit-ups once he reached 100 and stood. He then moved over to the bar positioned in a doorway and designed for pull-ups.

Gripping the bar, quite a bit taller than he, at shoulders width, he began his 100 repetitions of pull-ups. As he did, he continued to speak to Izurdin. “They are mostly Kelvic. They are unique beings, baring a strange innocence along with an instinct that is undeniably primitive. They are intelligence, thoughtful creatures who bare the surprising ability to transcend mortal form and take that of the beast. Although they are far from the physical capacity of an isur, they have perfected a physical ability that I admit, confounds me. To change one’s form in such a drastic way is nothing short of miraculous. It leaves me wondering what Istaris would be like if she were Kelvic. I don’t know if ixam can even be Kelvic but even in her present state, she seems equal in so many ways to them.”

Duncan paused a moment, hanging on the bar as he recalled his count…55. He continued toward the 100 count as he communed with the Father of Strength. “This Kelski, she is, remarkable. She is so small, so fragile a creature yet there exists within her a strength that I have not seen in one not like us. She bares a strength to be respected. A merchant, a warrior and from what I understand she may even possess magical aptitude. Then there is Ebon, the Lion. He is broken, that much I can tell. Yet his physical strength is remarkable. While he doesn’t fully accept it for what it is, his strength could rival that of an isur. He is kind, gentle yet the power that exudes from his body is undeniable. Of course, I could not forget Ember. She is but a child yet there is a wisdom in her eyes that defies her physical age. Childlike innocence combined with uncanny insight and wisdom, these creatures are truly blessed.”
Last edited by Duncan Rightstone on September 24th, 2018, 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 24th, 2018, 4:00 am

“I tell myself that you sent me here as a symbol.” Duncan said as he threw his first punch into the bag with his right hand. “A symbol of what it is to be not only a Hammer, but also an Isur.” He followed the first punch with one from his metallic hand. The second one was more measured and restrained. “But, can these people, these humans here in the city, truly understand what it is to live a life of strength WITH honor and thought?” He punched again and again. “Or are they to damaged to be able to grasp such concepts. I mean, these Kelvics, they seem to get it, or at least some of it from what I’ve seen in such a short time. Yet, the humans of the city, they are so consumed with their own selfishness, their own greed, their own survival, how can they possibly grasp what it is to be able to live a life where none of that is necessary?” He punched again and again, momentarily losing focus on what he was doing. In this he caused the bag to split slightly. With a curse, Duncan refocused his thoughts.

“Am I to be the difference? Am I to be the one to show them a better way? I will try. For you, Izurdin, I will give all that I am for this.” Duncan punched again and again before finally pausing. He was breathing erratically. It was time to rest.

Exhausted, he stepped away from the bag and walked over to retrieve a towel from the nearby shelf. He then proceeded to wipe himself off. Retrieving his gear, he made his way back upstairs to his room where he stashed his stuff and made his way to the bath to wash off. Indeed it was a productive training session.
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 30th, 2018, 12:37 am

Completed Thread Grade