Closed A Hunt for Hunters

Savis and Madeira search the Hunters Guild for something new

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A Hunt for Hunters

Postby Madeira Dusk on November 29th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Laird the hunter thought about her offer. She could nearly see the gears grinding away in his head, gummed up with liquor and trace amounts of fear. He looked at Savis, he looked at Madeira, and he leaned back in his chair while his lips curved into an insolent grin. He merely nodded at the Nuit, obviously not wanting to touch her, but to Madeira he extended a hand.

"Aye, I'll 'ccept your most generous offer, milady", he nearly choked on the word, his extended hand wavering and slightly off balance. So, this is what their machinations had bought, Madeira reflected, watching his sickle smile gleam like a mouthful of kina. Laird was a greedy, uneloquent and rude drunk, but now he was their drunk. No doubt he had the hunting skills she needed, and, properly placated, would have the temperament Savis could deal with. Too bad Madeira disliked him so much. Well, with luck she might have to see him only to retrieve her corpses. It was Savis who would have to deal with him for bells at a time.

Still, she was a woman of good breeding, and smiled all the same.

"I'm glad to hear it, Laird. Here's to a long, fruitful collaboration." Her small hands were lost in the large hunter's paws as she extended to meet him. His were rough with callous and dark with exposure, hers pale and delicate and soft with lemon scented skin cream. The differences between the two were almost comical. Madeira might have laughed, but he was doing the macho handshake these rough men preferred. She had to keep her mouth closed just to avoid hissing with pain as he crushed her fingers between her rings.

She shook out her fingers under the table as talk turned to more practical issues.

"So", the man settled back in his chair, completely at ease now that the decision had been made. "We meeting 'ere when you got a job for me?"

Madeira glanced around, from the dead eyed deer looming over them to the boisterous hunters deep in their cups, and sniffed deep of the scent of smoke, stale fur and ale that surrounded them, and decided she would never be back. At least not if she could help it. And definitely not to chase after and wait around for the hunter she's already paying.

"Can you read, Laird?"

"Aye, some."

"Then it'll be easier if we simply send you letters with jobs. I'll send you some instructions about what I'd like brought to me, and how. Savis will send you a summons when she needs you for her particular brand of magic."

"Summon. Like a dog, eh?"

"Like an employee. If it bothers you consider that generous coin you'll receive as a trifling little delivery fee."

The hunter's laugh was a low growl of a thing that came from deep in his chest. He downed the last of his drink and his hand fell to stroke the calico cat curled in his lap. Madeira headed him off before he could think to argue further.

"Where do you live?"

"Got myself a little cottage out in the Okomo Estates. Address it for 'Laird' and they'll find me. And where will I be... delivering these trifles to?"

"A small manor on Zintia called Infinity. That's also where Savis will call for you to meet her."

"And I'll get paid...?"

"In hand after delivery, and on the thirtieth of every season, assuming you can keep your word."

"Trust issues, eh? Aye, I've got some too. Guess we'll just have to see, won't we?" He went to drink from his glass so he could eye Madeira and Savis pointedly from over top of it, but found it empty. He slapped the glass down with a grumbled curse and banged flat handed on the table to summon a barmaid. "Why don't we have another glass, eh? As comrades."

Madeira smiled indulgently at his attempt to wring another drink out of her, but now that they had worked out the finer details her patience was finally growing thin.

"Thank you, but we should be going. You'll hear from us soon." Madeira stood to leave and motioned Savis to do the same.

"Bah", he huffed derisively and waved them away. "So petching formal. Loosen up a little, eh?"

"Have a good night, Laird."

The Hunters Guild had grown more crowded since they sat down. Or perhaps the people there had simply grown drunker and louder, so that the generous handful suddenly sounded like a swarm. Nobody looked at the two women twice as they slipped between the tables and the bodies and out the wide double doors.

The brisk breeze of late fall rushed from the mountain top of Satu and snapped playfully at their clothes. Madeira breathed deep of the cool, clean air and felt the stink of ale and musty fur wash off of her. She pulled her black cloak closer around her body and fell into step with the shuffling Nuit as they made their way back to the busier peaks of Lhavit.

"So..." Madeira began. "Looks like we have our lackey. What do you think of this Laird?"

WC: 884
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Hunt for Hunters

Postby Savis Maren on December 1st, 2018, 12:03 pm

84th of Autumn, 518 AV

Savis Maren took to silence as her preferred medium in the moment. It was exceedingly clear to the Nuit that her condition did not ingratiate herself to the drunken hunter, and it seemed that Madeira Craven was more than capable of taming Laird all the same. Perhaps the Spiritist was right in the opinion that she needn't join her in this venture, but damn it did the Nuit insist. She found Laird, a man that Madeira had her eye on as well, their mutual intrigue in the part Inarta hunter stemming into an attempt at eloquent conversation with a man who'd already had far too much to drink. Savis, of course, wouldn't be wrong to say that it was fruitful. Nuit and Spiritist shared much of themselves to the hunter, whose questions required answers in order to stay just loud enough for only them to hear.

After, the Spiritist revealed to the Nuit a secret, one she'd clearly meant to hide from the undead witch in their first few meetings. Would Savis confront her about this power? This strange magic that she knew nothing save for a feeling about? It stood to reason for the Nuit to allow those concerns to wane over time, to merely increase her guards around Madeira Craven... but that didn't sit well with her, either. Savis listened intently to the winding exchange between Madeira and the hunter, and Savis Maren never saw the woman express anything but civility and poise. Savis caught the sight of her fingers shaking out beneath the table, and the grimace on her features, while subtle enough to be hidden from the drunkard, certainly wasn't hidden from the Nuit.

She hates him, she reasoned, and Savis Maren couldn't help but empathize. If Madeira's need for a hunter wasn't tantamount, she'd much rather avoid this man entirely. However, an arrangement was made and convincing a man who already knew some of the two mages' secrets to play their game with them had a much lesser opportunity cost than the alternative. It was simple economics, of both coin and time, and while it wasn't Savis' money on the line, she'd be considerate of the Craven and the effort -arcane, verbal and monetary, it took to ensnare this particular man. When Madeira at last brought the conversation to a close, it was all the Nuit could do to hold back her laughter, derisive as it was and as deserving of it Laird was.

Then, Laird made his mistake.

'We'll just have to see, won't we?'

The drunkard blurted out words that would hold him forever in Savis Maren's contempt. The Spiritist was nothing if not civil. She had the patience of her Goddess about her, and it was Savis' that wore thin at the idea of Laird toeing in and out of loyalty. The Nuit had every intention of making use of this hunter, to wring from him his knowledge, his utility, and to allow Madeira Craven the opportunity to practice her bone magic at the behest of his expertise. But, this was no ally of hers. This man was unscrupulous and greedy beyond measure. While, ordinarily, Savis might appreciate such 'loyalty' to coin, knowing that it was gold that made one's heart sing, she'd had quite enough.

When Madeira motioned for them to leave, Savis did her utmost to keep her composure. She rose from her chair and pushed it in, falling into step alongside the Spiritist before both of them left the accursed Hunter's Guild behind. The place reminded her of a past she despised, and Laird reminded her of the amoral, foolhardy charlatans she'd coaxed to their deaths in the distant past. Of course, the Nuit had help, luck, and coin on her side then. And in the future, she would again.

As undead and living mages made their path from the Hunter's Guild, it was Madeira Craven who spoke first. The term 'lackey' brought a laugh from Savis' lips, and it was truly what the man was. To Savis, he was competent, but disposable, with little to no redeeming qualities to prove the inevitability of his obsolescence in her eyes false. The Nuit had no reason to lie to Madeira, and she answered very candidly as a result as they made their path away from Sartu's peak. They approached the more populated Zintia, and Savis kept her voice low as the empty streets were replaced by a smattering of wandering souls.

"I think he's what we need for the moment. I also think you made him too good of a deal, and he almost refused it at that. He seems foolish, suspicious, and I hope we can be rid of him before you need to relinquish too much of your fortune to him. I have plans, Madeira, and I need his knowledge to enact them. But, know that the day those plans come to fruition, you'll have much more than one drunken hunter to chase your game for you," she assured the Spiritist.

Savis Maren was not a being entirely immune to gratitude, and there was much of it to be had for this woman. It wasn't often that living souls saw through the shroud of undeath and allowed themselves to foster a connection with Savis. It was even less often that the Nuit herself felt any sort of kinship with much of anyone. What Madeira Craven offered to her was more than a place to practice and further her understanding. It was very possibly the first 'family' the Nuit knew since that accursed day when her lifegivers passed her on to an undead mage, to form their daughter into a being of a similar principle.

"Thank you," she added. "For allowing me to join you."

We met with a lesson of mine. Today, you educated me in your own way, she noted.

Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Words: 399286
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2018, 11:49 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Hunt for Hunters

Postby Madeira Dusk on December 30th, 2018, 11:52 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Madeira Craven

Skills
  • Acting: 1xp
  • Leadership: 2xp
  • Investigation: 1xp
  • Teaching: 2xp
  • Persuasion: 4xp
  • Rhetoric: 5xp
  • Negotiation: 5xp
  • Hypnotism: 3xp

Lores
  • Acting: an appropriate costume to play the part
  • Observation: the subtle use of Auristics
  • Laird: Raeyn's friend
  • Savis: can be diplomatic when the situation needs
  • Persuasion: anchoring
  • Teaching: an overview of Malediction
  • Leadership: acquiring an employee
  • Laid: shrewd and cautious

Awards & Retribution
+Item gained
+Trait recieved
-Injury
-Mizas spent

Notes
Notes here.

Person Two

Skills
  • Cosmology: 1xp
  • Observation: 5xp
  • Auristics: 5xp
  • Investigation: 1xp
  • Rhetoric: 4xp
  • Persuasion: 3xp
  • Logic: 4xp
  • Subterfuge: 1xp
  • Acting: 2xp
  • Deduction: 1xp

Lores
  • Cosmology: using makeup to cover undead nature
  • Investigation: using Auristics and deduction
  • Madeira: knows Raeyn
  • Acting: using props to play the part
  • Persuasion: the pitfall of giving away too much information
  • Madeira: lied about not practicing personal magic
  • People: Laird the Hunter
  • Laid: shrewd and cautious
  • Lore of the effects of overgiving
  • Overgiving: sweet whispers
  • Laird: a drunk is easier to manipulate
  • Laird: a lackey not an ally

Awards & Retribution
+Item gained
+Trait recieved
-Injury
-Mizas spent

Notes
Notes here.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous