Completed [Iraltu's Observatory] Under The Stars

Gemma and Savis watch the shooting stars.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[Iraltu's Observatory] Under The Stars

Postby Gemma Parker on February 18th, 2019, 6:30 am

Winter 23rd, 518 AV

Gemma felt dejected. She was just coming from her evening visit to the Dusk Tower, where she had hoped to at the very least get helpful information about how to join their classes. Instead, she had been met with the very disheartening “make connections” response that her mother had warned her about. Her mom was always telling her that she needed to meet people, attend events, expand her social circle. Her mom had made it a point to do exactly that in every city she had visited, and had amassed a network, so she said, of people who owed her favors if she ever came calling.

“Ok, mom, that’s great, but that doesn’t help me!” She kicked a stone and watched it skitter down the path before her. She didn’t really know where she was going. Zintia was in the middle and she knew she didn’t want to go home for fear of having to talk to her dad about her day. She was not in the mood for that. Her dad was awesome and probably would have known exactly what to say or do to take her mind off the problem, but she didn’t want that right now. She wanted to sulk.

So from Zintia she went in the opposite direction, eventually finding herself much calmer after several kilometers of walking. She was also standing in front of the Observatory, which was completely filled with people out stargazing. Most of them seemed to just be hanging out, not really watching any stars. Odd.

“Hey, why are there so many people here?” She asked a random passerby.

“Shooting stars. Should be starting any minute.” He said as he brought drinks to a blanket full of friends.

’Great. Something I’d actually want to do, and I’m as far from home as it gets. And no money to buy a blanket.’ She chewed on her lip as she looked around, thinking about her options. Maybe she could find a good spot that was too small to lay a blanket but that would be perfect for just her to sit. She would be without friends to talk to, but at least she would have something fun to take her mind off of the rejection she had faced at the Dusk Tower. Just remembering it was enough to make the decision for her. She would stay. She might even fall asleep under the stars. She didn’t mind. She was close to work anyway, and she could always wash up there if she decided to sleep out under the stars.

That decided, she looked around for a place to lay down that wouldn't be too close to the frat boys and prep school girls who were all out on dates. She grimaced. It would be nearly impossible to get out of range of their horrible posturing and bragging. Where could she sit?
Last edited by Gemma Parker on March 4th, 2019, 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gemma Parker
Player

Words: 219685
Joined roleplay: February 12th, 2019, 5:22 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Savis Maren on February 18th, 2019, 7:37 am

Savis Maren spent all of the night prior watching the stars fall. The view from Zintia was murky at best, with the reflected light of the city skyglass making it difficult to see past the clouds. So, when the Observatory opened its doors for all to spend the night, the rumors of an event swirling for all who wished to partake... the undead felt obligated to comply. The stars were a powerful cultural icon within Lhavit, and the idea of drinking in more and more of what made Lhavit the so-called 'Diamond of Kalea was heavy in the mage's non-existent heart.

It simply doesn't make sense to continue ignoring this city. Seeing Lhavit as only a means of protection from the Unforgiving is folly, self-denial at its most idiotic, she reasoned.

And so, motivated by the idea of indulging in life beyond magic and studies, she left Infinity Manor, with plenty of time for her to traverse the peaks and arrive in Sartu for the night of stargazing. Normalcy, an oddity for the Nuit, was something her new friends pushed her towards, particularly Mauriel, and while Savis was grateful, she couldn't rely on the Ethaefal always being around for such endeavors. She'd go at it alone, and face the city of Lhavit alone. The excuse to go out and 'make nice' was the final brushstroke that convinced her to leave. On her way there, she stopped by the Silk Palace. The store, while expensive and tailored to a more bourgeois sort of crowd, was the absolute best. Of course, she'd shop nowhere else, already spoiled by her extravagant dress and the shopping she'd done with Mauriel just days prior.

I just can't wait! she realized, and moved immediately to the desk where the two red-headed children animatedly chatted amongst themselves.

"I'm going to the star gazing tonight and I can't be seen in this," she told them. Immediately, they nodded in agreement, and took the Nuit around the store. Throwing fabrics over her arms and legs, sizing her out, Savis Maren placed an immediate order for a long, full-sleeved cotton dress and a similarly styled hooded cloak as the silk one she'd bought in the Autumn. They nodded in agreement with her choices and Mae Tsang bellowed out to her sister,

"Don't we have a piece just like that in the back? A double order."

"Yeah, obviously!" Lae retorted and shoved at her sister with a laugh before saying, "That's why we suggested it, silly. Give it to her right now!" Mae ran off, hurrying to supply the Nuit with the dress before they asked in unison,

"Can you wait twenty chimes? We can stitch up your hood and send you on your way."

"Twenty chimes?" the Nuit asked, placing an affronted tone in her voice, even though the number was very reasonable indeed. "Fine, but make it a quick twenty," she joked.

~~~~

Twenty chimes passed with Savis Maren admiring the rolls of cloth, savoring the feel of blessed virgin silk against her fingertips. Then, the twins ran out and pulled the Nuit into the changing room. Armed with laundry pins that held their nostrils together, they worked to undress the undead. Bandages, veiled in a thin layer that covered her upper arms and along the length of her legs were exposed. The bandages were the source of the twins' ire, for the formaldehyde was most pungent at the points of contact with her body. They tugged on them lightly,

"Can we remove these?" before Savis shook her head and they shrugged their shoulders in defeat. Mae climbed onto a stool and threw the dress over Savis' shoulders. Lae pulled it over the rest of her, and they began to work in unison to grab at the nuit's arms before she yelled out, frustration mingling with laughter,

"I can do this myself!" before pushing her arms through the holes and the hooded cape over her shoulders. Raising the hood over her head, she looked at the lovely white material of the cotton she was pushed into. A curve fitted her lips before she asked, "How much do I owe you, then?"

"That'll be 11 for the hooded cape thing and 20 plus 8 topaz for the dress. Perfectly reasonable!" the pair answered, alternating their words in the way that only twins could, a way that Savis Maren found incredibly irritating. The Nuit fished 34 kina out of her coinpurse, placing it into Mae's hands before she walked out of the store in a hurry.

~~~~~

Savis, at last, arrived on Sartu, but when she did, Syna's descent into the horizon was already past and Leth's rule over the world was instated. The Nuit saw the streaming stars, cloaked by the reflective light of the skyglass and hastened her steps in an effort to arrive as quickly as possible. She climbed up the stairs that led to the Observatory, her twisted features reverting from her scowl due to lateness to the genuine nothingness of her undead countenance. The hood was raised well over her head, and the sleeves hid her gray pallor from the casual onlooker. Long, lithe legs carried Savis Maren forth, and the mage looked up all the while. Prone bodies, laying down or seated were dodged by the sluggish woman, and she found her way into a seated position. Next to her was a solitary Konti woman who looked far worse for weather than she might've expected.

"Teeryian?" the Nuit called out, to no immediate answer. And so, Savis Maren stepped forth, prepared to unleash the rage of being ignored until she noticed the subtle differences between the two Konti. She kept her mouth shut, allowing her irritation to dissipate as she wondered aloud, "What does it mean when they fall from the sky? Maybe those are Ethaefal, pushed out of Leth's domain?"

Savis Maren knew enough about the Ethaefal to know they'd come from the heavens, and she allowed the reasonable assumption to cut through the relative silence as she turned to face the Konti in earnest.

"I'm sorry for bothering you. I thought you were a friend, another Konti I met a while back." Savis kept her tone manageable, keeping her expression tamer in the effort to make conversation with a woman whose scholarly endeavors she had no means of discerning.

"I'm Savis, by the way," she said as her silver eyes shifted from the skies above to the Konti, who she'd noticed seemed far too preoccupied with the multitude of couples around them. Savis was inclined to share that grimace, but with her new dress, her mood was far too light and satisfied to share in that sort of negativity.

Ledger Changes :
1.05 + 10 for the hooded cape = 11 ki, 5 jki
8tki + 20ki = 20ki, 8tki.

Total - 31.85. Rounded to 34 for the purposes of a gratuity.
Last edited by Savis Maren on February 18th, 2019, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Words: 399286
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2018, 11:49 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gemma Parker on February 18th, 2019, 3:09 pm

The Konti teen did finally find a place to sit, but it would not be enough to lay down unless she wanted to put her head right next to a lounging couple. No thank you. She could sit. She would just have to crane her neck. No big deal. Maybe the two lovers would even move before the night’s end and she could lay back and relax, or even move to a vacated spot. For now, she could at least enjoy the small buffer of space around her that, as long as she hugged her knees, was not invaded by any of the oblivious spectators around her.

She did take a moment to wonder why she was so cranky, but then the stars began to fall, and she was enraptured, her problems momentarily forgotten. How could she dwell on what could not be when such beauty was before her?

The low murmur of voices was overcome by a single call of someone hailing another, probably. Gemma didn’t look. They would see each other, delight in the coincidence of “seeing you here” and settle in to watch the stars like everyone else. But then, a second interruption came in the form of a feminine figure that made Gemma think “little white riding hood” with her white dress and hooded cape. For the very briefest of moments, Gemma wondered if this was some divine visitation. Maybe Rak’keli was here to give her a second gift. But that hope barely had time to rise as she swept it away.

She started to wax philosophical on the interworkings of the heavens and Gemma thought her eyes might bleed. She desperately wanted to snap back with a ‘how would I know that?’ When she realized that the woman had thought she was someone else. That. Was so. Racist. It didn’t matter that she got excited every time she saw someone with pale hair, hoping they were a Konti. That was beside the point.

“Look, just because we share similar characteristics does not mean we all look the same.” Gemma didn’t know if she was truly offended. In fact, on a normal day it would have been a compliment to be mistaken as another Konti. Any of the Konti she had met were all decidedly better looking than she was, even if no one had ever gone so far as to admit it around her. What was more, she spent much of her time wishing she could be considered a ‘real Konti’, and whoever she was being mistaken for was most likely a real Konti, gift and all. It should have been a compliment. But tonight it was just rubbing her face in the fact that she ‘wasn’t the right Konti’. She was almost interesting, almost valued, until this woman realized who she was.

If her mother had been there, she would have scolded Gemma for allowing her feelings to dictate her response to a stranger. It went against both Konti and Lhavit etiquette.

“I’m sorry.” She said quickly. “That’s not fair. We do look similar, and if you’ve only ever met one I understand how you might have mistaken me for her.

“Savis.” She nodded in greeting. “I’m Gemma.” She realized that she had been rude and needed to make up for it.

“That’s, uh- that’s a nice outfit. Very white. You’re not worried that you might get it dirty sitting on the floor?” She asked. As compliments went, that had not been one of the best. She needed to divert, to change the focus of the conversation. She was just going to offend the woman if she kept talking. And her mother had drilled into her the importance of a good first impression, being kind to strangers, honoring the elderly… And here she was violating just about every social rule there was.

“Did you know my kinswoman well?” She finally asked.
Gemma Parker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Savis Maren on February 19th, 2019, 7:49 pm

The skirts of Savis Maren's dress hiked with her seated posture, and certainly, if she wasn't careful the white fabric would take the dust from the floor. She shifted her position at once with Gemma's questioning, her knees raised in a sort of crouch. To a mortal, this position might cause discomfort, with the build up of pressure causing pain to the joints.

However, Savis, while certainly capable of experiencing deeper pain, was not prone to such flights of irritation. She kept her position easily, though she need keep mind of her dress and so, she peeled her coat from her overstuffed satchel and laid it down on the ground for her to sit on. At last, her position was set, and she looked to Gemma with a brief fit of laughter escaping her lips.

"How silly of me! Thanks for the save," she said, though disdain began to bubble at the surface. Very white. That's the best sort of praise you can offer? she mused, her lips pursed as she assessed the woman with piercing, silver eyes. Then, the Konti asked her question, and she shook her head, allowing the truth to follow. Djed welled from deep within the soul, and Savis Maren probed. She formed a connection with aura, her djed forming a lash that synchronized with Gemma's presence as she allowed her gaze to lift towards the falling stars.

Streaks of light spilled across the sky, their trajectory sometimes moving horizontally. Others moved downward and others still seemed to draw closer. The shooting stars moved in every which way, and Savis Maren was entranced by it all as she mused on Gemma's defensive little retort from before.

"If you expect an apology, you'll be waiting quite a long time. However, I'll say that upon further consideration you look quite different from the other two Konti I've met. You said your name was Gemma?" she asked, though the question was clearly meant to be rhetorical, for she immediately continued talking afterwards.

"I can't say that I did know them very well. But Teeryian was quite the pleasant young lady. I can see now that not all of the beautiful Konti are quite as adept at enthralling people," she quipped, allowing a measure of cruel teasing to suffuse within her tone. This woman did not appeal to Savis' vanity like Teeryian had. Nor did she seem to possess the tact or vibrancy of character that made Teeryian so fascinating.

No, Gemma was a different soul, and Savis Maren could feel the impressions of frustration, a nagging at the soul. Lookng closer, Savis watched the haze overwhelm, covering over the woman's chest and seeping along her neck and up her cranium. The Nuit learned to keep the thoughts of aura to herself, feeling no need to disclose her understanding after the reunion she had with Haneht. People could figure out their own problems, and the undead felt no need to pry deeper in an attempt to understand them.

"The Konti I knew this city very well, and yet... I know that your kind doesn't hail from here by design. What about you, Gemma? Have you traveled? Or are you among the Konti bred and buttered by the Diamond of Kalea?" While the Nuit continued to pry into aura, she sought to loosen the Konti's lips. Voracious hunger for understanding, for the press of advantage that was knowing a soul encompassed the Nuit's intent.

Everyone has their uses. Prying into what makes them who they are is the perfect form of dissection.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gemma Parker on February 19th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Gemma was confused, but determined not to show it. The woman had conceded that Gemma looked different from the other two Konti. That was good, right? Individualism was important and she wanted to forge her own path. At the same time, she had called her unpleasant. In fact, any of the differences she had highlighted were of Gemma falling short of her expectations of a Konti. And while her greatest tangible goal was to find her own way, her true desire was to make her mom proud, and the reason she felt her mom wasn’t proud was exactly because of how un-Konti she was. She didn’t have a gift, she wasn’t soft around the edges, and she was decidedly less pretty and more mundane looking than any other Konti she knew of. Savis had, in one breath (zero breaths?), stabbed needles of insecurity into the pressure points of her psyche.

For a long while, she didn’t know what to say. She knew she had been asked a question. Two, actually. But she was still lost in the world that had opened up within her. For a long while, she simply stared at the sky, seeing fuzzy little dots streak from one place to another.

“I’m told that when a diamond is cut, it creates shards and dust. If the diamond is big enough, even the shards can be cut into something of worth. But the dust? It’s physically the same, and might even still maintain some of the luster of the original, but it will never be called a diamond, only dust. In the end, the only thing you can do with it is throw it away and enjoy it for just a moment as the sun catches its fragments and for just a moment makes something just as beautiful. But then that moment ends and the dust falls or is carried on the wind.

“You asked what I think the shooting stars are? That’s what I think they are. I think it’s the gods and goddesses tossing diamond dust on celestial wind. It looks cool for a night or two, but every star that falls can’t help but look up at the night sky and remember what they could have been.” She fell silent again, thinking back through her words and wondering if she just sounded dumb. ’Now who’s waxing philosophic?’ She chided herself.

“I was born and raised here in Lhavit. I guess the city isn't as amazing when you've lived here all your life and it's all you've ever known. I’ve never even been outside the city outskirts, let alone to Konti Isle. Now there's a real diamond, if the stories are true. The Diamond of The Sea. But no, I've never been there. Never drank the water. Never got a gift. I have none of the Konti intuition that makes all the others so interesting and pleasing to be around. I’m just Konti enough to be confused for a real one. In the end, I’m just diamond dust.” She realized that this melancholy was not only caused by Savis’ words. She had been musing and pining after being rejected at the Dusk Tower, which had only reinforced the feelings that were already there.

Just then, a sandal came out of nowhere and smacked her on the side of the head.

“Hey!” She shouted, turning back in the direction it had come from. “What the hell?”

“Nobody wants to hear your sob story. You’re ruining the mood.” One of the young stags she had formerly tried to avoid called across the room from a few blankets over.

“Like ‘the mood’ would help you get any, asshole.” She shot back while whipping the shoe at him. It missed, causing the others near him to snicker.

Gemma turned around and crossed her arms, her face an inferno.

“And what about you?” She asked, dabbing a slightly runny nose as she turned her face away from Savis. “That dress looks new. Are you celebrating something?” She felt foolish for spilling out her heart to someone she didn’t know, childish for her outburst, and guilty for being the disappointment that she was.

“It looks expensive.” She, of course, had no idea how expensive it might have been, but she knew it looked fancier than anything she owned. And more importantly, it would hopefully get the topic off of Gemma.
Gemma Parker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Savis Maren on February 20th, 2019, 10:39 am

"Nobody wants to hear your sob story. You're ruining the mood."

The words echoed out from foreign lips, and Savis Maren felt the strings of laughter get plucked. The Nuit didn't let the sound fall from her lips, however. Silver eyes watched the demeanor with which the sandal thrower spoke, the swagger in his words and the overconfident laughter that swelled past his lips in the utterance. The more the Nuit saw, the more she disliked, from his cavalier disposition to the way his arm curled around his companion's shoulder and squeezed her arm. Presumptuous, she said, finding the ginger young man and seeing in his haughty demeanor the visage of Raeyn.

I wonder if he's a hunter... That'd make three ginger, hunter pricks I've met in my time here, she said, musing on the idea before a devious smirk cast upon her undead countenance, invisible to those behind her but certainly not Gemma if she took the time to look back at her. Sleeves of djed formed along her forearms, rising from her soul and slowly pried to the surface. The Nuit seeped her astral arms out of their corporeal prison, and the limbs fell neatly onto her lap as at last she let the chuckle she'd been surpressing fall out in earnest.

Gemma's retort fired from her lips not a moment after, and the undead's laughter grew higher and colder as her astral limbs pushed forward. She stretched the limbs, allowing her astral body to warp and approach its intended target. She didn't go after the young man himself, but moved towards the sandal. First, the Nuit raised it with one hand. Then, the other moved to pull back on his companion's head. Savis tangled her digits into her hair, pulling several strands out from the root to the predictable response of screaming. To join the matter, she lobbed the sandal at the pair of them, missing them by several feet in a terrible effort. Pulling back her astral limbs with the intention of re-attaching them to the rest of the main body, she watched intently to see what seeds of chaos she might have planted.

"AHHH! WHAT ARE YOU-" the woman screamed as a sizeable chunk of blonde hair fell to the ground. She clutched her head, wailing out and smacking her companion in the face with her elbow in the struggle.

"Did you pull my hair?!" she said, screaming at the 'stag' to the general reaction of disbelief and surprise.

"Wha- no! Absolutely no-"

"I'm out of here, asshole!" she said, rising to her feet immediately and stomping out. Savis did her utmost to keep a schooled expression, leaning back somewhat. Her newly re-attached arms flung backwards, and she supported her weight on her hands as she leaned back, tipping her head downward in an effort to conceal her smug expression with her hood.

"Going back to our little discussion, Gemma," she said, quickly changing the subject as the arrogant fool and the shallow beauty ran out of the observatory in a huff. Savis looked up to the stars as she answered,

"I never heard any of that about diamond dust, but it does make one wonder, doesn't it? Unlike you, Gemma, I'm not from Lhavit. Nor have I spent any significant amount of time, here. To me, everything here is new, luminous and beautiful. Maybe I am celebrating something, then. The ability to just... let go and have the time to see the stars like this. I can't imagine many people anywhere else having such a luxurious opportunity," she reflected.

I wouldn't trade this for anything, she thought to herself.
Savis Maren
Only a little bit dead

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gemma Parker on February 21st, 2019, 9:56 pm

Gemma turned back around at the sound of the jock's date going berserk. Apparently he had puller her hair. Maybe he had flinched when she threw his shoe back at him, but that seemed even less plausible than thinking that he pulled her hair on purpose. Maybe someone had sneaked around and pulled her hair just for fun. If so, she was thankful for her defender.

And just like that, the whole scene was over. The guy's date stormed out of the room and he chased after her. Now that was an expression of instant karma if she ever saw one. But then the excitement died down, and she was back to her conversation with Savis. Strangely, even though the whole thing had started out negative, the result brought a shy smile to Gemma's face.

"I guess you're right." She said softly. "I take it for granted because it's all I've ever known." She let the conversation die then, with neither of them speaking anymore. Gemma allowed herself to utter a few "ooh"s and "whoa"s, but other than that they just sat in companionable silence. Gemma had no idea if her thought about diamond dust was in fact true, but it was how she felt. Even this evening had somehow cemented that in her mind. She would never be accepted for just being who she was. She would have to be more. She would have to be better. But if she was going to be more and better, she would have to keep trying to get into the tower, no matter what it took. If she was able to be so easily turned away, how could she ever hope to earn the notice and respect of the people she so desperately needed to impress?

Her head began to swim with ideas of how she could worm her way into good graces with the people in charge. Who did they say qualified? 'Dusk family members, the Constellations, and the Shinya could at least improve my chances of getting in. But if I wanted a guaranteed in, I'll need a letter from Aysel, Talora, one of the Saya, or Zintila herself. I should evaluate the potential for each group and individual. I don't have to focus only on one. If I'm committed to getting in, I should find a way to get them all to notice me. Then they'll have to let me in.' She thought. At this point, she was not even watching the stars anymore, and she slowly fell asleep thinking of all the things she could do to improve her standing with the various people and groups that had power in the city. She hated to admit it, but no amount of her own work and dedication would do that for her. She needed to be smart and intentional.

Her thoughts were still on the topic of the Tower even when she woke up. There were some others that had fallen asleep on their blankets, too, but Gemma had just propped her bag under her head and passed out. Savis was nowhere to be seen, and there was a horrible taste in her mouth. She picked herself up, stretched, rubbed her eyes, and began the hike across to Tenten peak, where her job shift would soon be starting. She hoped she had enough time to wash up.

WC: 2,414
Gemma Parker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 28th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Gemma Parker

Skills
  • Observation: 4xp
  • Socialization: 3xp
  • Philosophy: 2xp
  • Rhetoric: 1xp
  • Weapon-Shoe: 1xp
  • Planning: 1xp

Lores
  • Lore of the vague requirements to get into the Dusk Tower
  • Racist Bias: not all Konti look the same!
  • Socialization: a break of etiquette
  • Socialization: an effort at smalltalk
  • Philosophy: the pros and cons of individualism
  • Philosophy: waxing metaphorical
  • Planning: intentions to endear oneself to the people in charge

Awards & Retribution

Notes
<3
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)