Completed Trails

The return of a new friend, an induction to a lost art, and a hunt for an elusive spirit

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Trails

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on July 1st, 2019, 7:20 pm

"Chief?" Morte croaked. There were more cries from outside and Morte flipped around to look at the source of the noise. "Hang on Chief! Hold em off!" the crow said. He launched himself off Anja's shoulder and towards the window, then vanished outside of it. Anja dropped the bundle of items and set to work shoving every scrap of debris he could in front of the hole.The chimes ticked by horribly slow. It seemed like for every moment he delayed, a moment later his debris was hauled out followed by outraged cries. The Drykas' hands were shaking.

"Chief!" the bird called out. Anja turned towards the window just in time to watch the bird shove a rope into the room. "Hurry!" Anja came at a run, swiping the magical items off the ground and shoving them into his sash. A moment later he had seized the rope and began to climb. Several times he slid down the wall, but he finally reached the top and managed to squeeze himself through the window just as the first head poked their way into the room. Maisa was waiting for them outside, a rope held taut in her jaws. The moment Anja appeared, she dropped it and whinnied urgently. Anja jumped down and winced as he struck the ground, but he mounted Maisa faster than he had in his whole life. Morte landed on Maisa's yvas and screeched.

"C'mon, let's go!" the crow cried out. Anja had never seen Maisa run so fast. He only barely hung on as the horse flew out of the marketplace and towards home. As they flew, Anja could hear cries of rage echoing from the market behind them.

12th Bell
The Midnight Gem

Anja was pacing holes in the floor of the Great Room. Back and forth, forth and back. He was confident that he was safe here, but beginning to think it might not be safe for him to ever leave again. Morte sat on the table in the center of the room, looking at him worriedly. Until now the bird had been quiet, but Anja expected answers.

"What are you?" The Eiyon asked. He was very close to a temper. Fear did that to a person, turned them upside down and inside out. The magical items sat on a bundle on the table beside Morte, and the bird glanced at them before returning his attention back to Anja.

"Uh well…" Morte clicked his beak. "I'm still putting it all together. It's not like I really understood what happened. I mean, not really.I was just going on instinct. The skull you gave me helped me remember things. And those things led me to learn this magic. And I brought it back to you, to thank you. Seemed right, y'know?" Morte clicked his beak together a few more times. "It's called Pathfinding. The skull is still teaching me things. And those things look different now that I can actually think about them. It's rare, this magic. That's all I really know right now." The bird suddenly perked up. "But hey, I can teach you more now! We can learn this stuff together! What the skull has to tell me. We'll figure it out." Anja paced a few more times, fists clenched and took several deep breaths.

(Words 551, Total 5847)
Anja Nightwatcher
Ghost Hunter

Words: 298384
Joined roleplay: February 15th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Trails

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on July 1st, 2019, 7:20 pm

"Morte," Anja said, as patiently as he could, deliberately unclenching his fists. "I cannot have eyes like these in Sunberth. They'll kill me."

Morte clacked his beak. "Go somewhere else then." It was so simple that Anja almost scoffed. But...wasn't Kelski leaving for Zeltiva soon anyways? Anja chewed his lip and sat down, and all his conflicting thoughts about leaving Sunberth swelled around him. "Sunberth called me," Anja said, miserably. "I can do so much good here. I've helped so many unhappy souls move on."

"With all due respect Chief," Morte said. "I don't know how much good you really did. I'm not that old, but I've seen a lot of things here. Sick, dead, dying. It's like an infection Chief. You can't heal it unless you pull up the roots. And I don't think anyone can really. This whole place is infected, too deep to root out. Rotting from the inside." The bird settled down on the table, feathers fanning out. "Besides, you think you can't help ghosts elsewhere? You got death, you got ghosts. It's everywhere. Think of yourself, Chief. Go somewhere you can help that won't drag you under."

Morte glanced around the Gem. "Nice place here. Feels loved," he commented.

Anja felt his tongue freeze in his mouth. Sunberth was a horrible place, and that horribleness only seemed a lighter with Kelski nearby. Where would he be without the Gem, without Kelski and her friends and family? What about Maisa, Battle and Sayeth? And now he had Morte to take care of too. And with his eyes. There was nowhere they could go to be safe.

Anja thought of all the hurt here. How little he had really done to help it. A soul here and there, but so many that refused to be helped. Morte was right, this place was sick. There had to be places Anja could go that he could save more. Places less violent and horrible.

"I need to check up on Logan anyways," Anja said slowly, voice turning wry towards the end. "Maybe he has news for me. I haven't heard from him in a year."

Morte fluttered over to Anja's shoulder and touched his cheek with his cool skull. "Old friend?" Morte asked. Anja nodded. "Tell me about it," Morte said. Anja chuckled. "Fine," he said. "But only if you teach me more about Pathfinding."

"Deal," Morte said, poking Anja's cheek almost like a handshake.

In the quiet of the Great Room,Anja began to tell his story. With every word he spoke his conviction slowly grew to something resembling happiness. He wouldn't miss this place. And his consolation prize was a new friend and new magic.

(Words 448, Total 6295)
Anja Nightwatcher
Ghost Hunter

Words: 298384
Joined roleplay: February 15th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Trails

Postby Anja Nightwatcher on July 4th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Grades Have Arrived