Closed Fits and starts (Tazrae)

Cleon and Faye seek refuge at the Protea Inn

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Fits and starts (Tazrae)

Postby Faye on April 9th, 2022, 4:24 pm

Faye didn’t know what was going on with her brother, but clearly he was more tired than he let on or he was playing a game that no one found funny, herself included. It wasn’t at all like her brother to behave in such a way, and yet she didn’t doubt what she was seeing and hearing just now. Did this have anything to do with the change her body had experienced? It seemed to be too close at hand to one another to be a coincidence but Faye struggled for a way to explain any of it. An Tazrae was still talking so she couldn’t very well butt in to ask, that would be rude, and she’d been so nice to them.

It mollified her concerns somewhat when they exchanged a look, if only to know that she wasn’t just imagining this all, and Faye almost giggled from the nervousness this odd tension drew out of her. She decided instead to say something about the Inn, which was very nice and felt like the right thing to do at that moment over babbling. “That is amazing. We never had anything like this in Sunberth and we lived there for a long, long time! Perhaps you could show my brother a thing or two.” Faye grinned, trying to keep the conversation light as she munched on some bread. She needed lightness right then after their heavy night, and she wanted more than anything to stretch out on their bed with a full stomach after a quick wash up. It had been a very long night, proceeded by a very long trip so this was more than coming by her estimation.

“I’m glad we did too” Faye admitted, flashing a conspiratorial smile towards Tazrae. She could see the woman clearly cared about this place, and she felt as natural as sunshine within it, moving to and fro. More than that, Tazrae felt like she filled a hole that Faye hadn’t even known was there before meeting the woman though she didn’t know exactly how to put that into words yet just why she felt that way. It wasn’t the same space Farren had filled, so it wasn’t like she was replacing her. No, Tazrae was making her feel something different, something decidedly more maternal. Whatever it was, it felt nice to be so accepted within this woman’s establishment.

“You’re food is so good. How did you get so talented?” Faye asked as she took another slice of bread before leaning back away so the bowls of stew could be slid over. It smelled even more delicious than the bread had been, and Faye didn’t waste any time tucking into her bowl. Having something warm in her belly went a long way to shaking off the chill that had set in, and even made her feel a good bit more lively. She had to blow around each bite in her mouth as she gingerly balanced the first hot one, but it was very nice when she wasn’t almost scalding her tongue.

Faye decided she could definitely get used to this, and when she heard that this would be not just a regular once a day thing, but three times a day, her expression really brightened. Distantly, she remembered something about meals had been mentioned earlier, but she hadn’t heard it from this woman had she? She shook the bothersome thought as she continued to tuck into her stew while grinning at Tazrae until she thought of something else to say.

“What do you like to do for fun around here? Besides paddleboarding I mean? Do you like to play any games?” She asked, leaning forwards a little bit at the table as she did, hardly noticing when her brother departed to retrieve their clothes. She even almost forgot about his confusion earlier until he came right back and did it again. This time she was pretty much stunned for what else to say, much less think as her brother continued his bowl as if nothing was amiss until he noticed their expressions and conversation.

“Sure” Faye said hesitantly as she pulled away from the table, and walked out briefly, only to return a moment later to find his brother seemingly in conversation with a woman at the bar. Somethings never change. Faye thought as she rolled her eyes, and felt distinctly uncomfortable with the way both of them were watching her.

“What’s up?” She asked eventually, giving them both a nervous smile. Hesitantly she took a bite from her bowl of stew to give her mouth something to do when she practically jumped at her brother’s outburst. “Why are you getting worked up?” Faye snapped back at her brother, then turned to give the woman a nervous look.

WC - 796
Faye
Player

Words: 82075
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2022, 3:47 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Fits and starts (Tazrae)

Postby Tazrae on April 9th, 2022, 7:30 pm

Tazrae caught Cleon's eyes, then looked pointedly at Faye. "What's my name, Faye?" She asked cautiously. There was a stark terror going through her at this point. She could write off the boy not remembering because boys were boys but the girl forgetting instantly after just walking out of the room and walking back in?

Things had happened earlier in the day, things that pointed to something going so horribly wrong she didn't want to contemplate it. But Taz had written it off as a fluke and people being tired from unloading the ship. But she knew deep down that hadn't been the case. She knew things were bad... really bad. And she didn't know what she was going to do about it.

"You don't know who I am do you Faye? Even though you were just talking to me a moment ago and I just asked you to walk out of the room for a chime and walk back in...." She said stoically.

"It was the same with you, Cleon. You didn't know me before you walked into this room did you? Even though I'd just gotten done giving you a tour of the Inn, handing you a room key, and grabbing you borrowed clothing until you could get some in the morning, right? Whose clothes are you wearing Cleon? Are they yours? They aren't are they? They are Shade's things. He made them a gift to you. But you don't remember asking him for them do you? Because you didn't. I did. Then I handed them to you and you went to change. And when you left the room you forgot me entirely didn't you?" She said, more to herself than to him. She knew what it sounded like.

"Tell your sister, Cleon. Tell her what you just witnessed... then call me a liar. You can prove it to her by then walking out the door for a few moments and walking back in.... it will be the same and then she can witness it. But the fact is I don't think either of you will remember me if I leave." She said thoughtfully, scared.

"What in the world is going on here?" She asked carefully, her eyes wide with fear. The other things that had happened this morning unloading the ship could be written off... but this was proof... definitive proof.

"Gods...." She said softly, then glanced around as if someone could help her. But there was no one, just a pair of kids fresh off the boat scared from their own experiences in the storm.

"Have any of you had anything odd happen lately?" She asked cautiously. "I mean really odd?"

Words: 445
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Fits and starts (Tazrae)

Postby Cleon on April 10th, 2022, 2:38 pm

It was madness, plain and simple. What else could explain the way this woman was acting except.. Faye. Could this be another aspect of whatever had happened to her or was this the burden of solely this woman standing in front of him. Even having watched Faye leave and return just now, he didn't quite believe it.

Still it answered some of the lingering weirdness that he'd felt since coming here. Like why he had a key to their room if he didn't remember meeting the innkeeper once. Cleon gulped. This was far from the start he had been hoping for. An these clothes, Faye’s clothes. They hadn’t brought them along, nor had they come in wearing them, had they? No he was pretty sure in that regard but when it came to thinking back on that time, it was like there was a wall there. None of this made the slightest bit of sense either.

He reached across the counter and squeezed Faye's hand reassuringly.

"Strange as it sounds, its true. When I walked in you were chatting with this woman before she asked you to walk out of sight for a moment. When you returned it was like you had never met her, same as I felt walking into the room. Still feel." Cleon said, shaking his head as he mulled over his own words.

"Hooow though? How is that possible and what god did you piss off to earn such a distinction?" He rambled aloud as he recalled their unusual overnight along the beach. This is what you get in a place with talking birds. He beat his fist against the table before biting his knuckle.

She seemed equally as confused which didn't comfort him in the slightest as he chewed on the side of the knuckle. "I can really only think of one thing, well two but the second maybe.. nevermind. Uh.. well for the first there is no easy way to say this but, does Faye look eleven to you? Because she did a few bells ago and now, well, she looks pretty petching close to our sister Farren who's around seventeen or just there abouts." Cleon said, hesitating for a moment before he continued. "An well, it might be unrelated, but I've been feeling, uh.. I don't suppose you would know, but its like I'm strung out on drink and everything else just about, only I haven't touched a drop in years." Cleon said, working his jaw, and clenching the edge of the table.

"I guess we've all got something strange going on." Cleon reasoned but couln't work out how many of their ailments were connected. "Who or what would have that kind of power?" He mumbled to himself. Then scrunched his face up as Faye made an odd suggestion.

“I don’t think this is something Laviku has the time for, or the other for that matter. Besides..” Cleon let the protest die in his throat as he didn’t know where exactly he was going with it. While it was true that he had been marked by the god, that didn’t mean he’d come to help over something like this. An if this mark was a test to see how capable he was, well if he went crying to Laviku scarcely a quarter of a year later, well, he might just take back this mark. Cleon shook his head, but didn’t want to diminish the hope this suggestion brought out in Faye.

“Perhaps we can petition Kihala in the morning, and maybe Eywaat, really it couldn’t hurt if to only serves to focus our minds on the task ahead.” He said softly, then looking back at the woman across from them. “What do you think?”

WC - 623
Cleon
Player

Words: 492860
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2022, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Fits and starts (Tazrae)

Postby Faye on April 10th, 2022, 2:39 pm

It was really disconcerting when her brother didn’t answer her except to reach across the table and squeeze her hand. No more strange though then the wide eyed look the woman was giving her from across the counter. She had the strangest feeling bubbling in her stomach as she touched the hem of a dress that was not her own. Where had she gotten it and why couldn’t she remember? It was a pretty thing, far prettier than anything she had ever worn so she should be easily able to recall it right? It scared her more than anything ever had that she couldn’t in that moment.

Suddenly she felt a lot like she had walked into one of the stories Cleon told her growing up. The one about the little princess that went somewhere she wasn’t supposed to go and ended up trapped forever by a magical wizard. Faye shivered but it was hardly cold in the room. She listened with growing dread at Cleon’s explanation as she picked at the table with her fingernails.

As she watched their leftover stew congeal on the table before them, she wondered why this had happened to them. What had any of them done to deserve this? They had been quiet and unobtrusive for the most part on the trip over her, and this lady, well she didn’t know much about her but apparently she should and that just got her feeling terrible about the whole thing all over again. Why couldn’t she remember?

Biting the edge of her lip, she nodded in agreement with Cleon. “I don’t remember borrowing this dress, or who showed us to our rooms or who cooked and put this food out for us. I.. I’m sorry.. I don’t remember any of it. Its just so strange. This has never happened before has it? I mean, people forgetting you like this, or I don’t know, girls growing overnight. I..” Faye let her face fall into her hands. She wanted to cry but there were no tears coming. Scooting closer over to Cleon she peaked from around her fingers to see Tazrae equally distressed, and Faye felt bad for the woman. She seemed like she would be a nice one, probably had been to them, only they would never remember it, and that was very sad.

“Maybe this is something we should pray over. Maybe a goddess will help us like they did Farren, remember?” Faye said letting her hands drop onto the table as she made the suggestion hopefully, thinking about how that experience had change Farren’s life and their lives for the better. “Or god.. Do you think yours would help Cleon? Maybe we should be particular about who we ask for help, do you have any good ideas?” She asked the woman across from them, and felt a little badly if she came across as too intrusive.

WC - 482
Faye
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Fits and starts (Tazrae)

Postby Tazrae on April 12th, 2022, 1:44 am

Taz shook her head. “I haven’t angered anyone that I know of. I stay pretty neutral and I’m marked by Rhaus and Caiyha, which are also neutral Gods in a way.” She answered softly, shaking her head. “I’m not the only one affected by this. A few of us have had issues, since this morning. The people I were at the Tenday this morning noticed some things. I’m just not sure what is going on exactly... it feels strange, oppressive actually.” The Innkeeper said, not sure what the man was going to actually say or do. “That was happening this morning… people forgetting me.” She added, shaking her head. “Have you guys noticed anything wrong?” She asked, tilting her head. “Other than the rain and the wind chasing you into the Inn. Weather is unpredictable here at times, so that’s not anything new. Welcome to the tropics.” She added with a grin and shook her head.

“We’ll figure out what’s going on and work on fixing it. But you are right, Cleon, it doesn’t seem like something Laviku is doing or anyone else I can think of either. But I’m not opposed to helping you two make some offerings to the Gods of your choices and petitioning them for help. There’s some fancy breads we can make, the type you braid and fill with fruit. They might like that.” She suggested. “And we can also go pick flowers and leave them as well. For some reason, I suspect the Gods really love flowers.” Weren’t all the beautiful shrines and temples around the cities in Mizahar populated with wreaths and garlands of flowers more often than naught? It was something, even if Tazrae wasn’t used to actively participating in religion other than her upkeep of Kihala’s Shrine.

“As for who has this kind of power… you have to understand Syka. We have had all kinds of artifacts turn up over the years that do all kinds of things. We’ve had situations where people have stumbled upon incredible things. This could be coming from almost anywhere.” She added, shaking her head. Taz wished she had answers for the pair, but the truth was she really didn’t.

“I would definitely be willing to help you leave offerings for Kihala and Eywaat for sure. I know where there shrines and statues are.” She added, knowing she’d be glad to show the pair.

“Faye, its my dress and you are welcome to it. Don’t fuss about it. We can get you some new clothing tomorrow morning and if all else fails we can take a trip to The Outpost and get some ready made stuff if Tropical Fever Fashions has nothing ready. I showed you to your rooms and I cooked. It’s fine. I know its strange and scary… I’m a little scared too… but we’ll figure it out.” She said thoughtfully.

In terms of prayer though, Tazrae had very little idea. “I only know Rhaus, Caiyha and Kihala. I’m sorry. There should be a Goddess of Hope though. Maybe one of enlightenment?” She added, searching her mind. “I need to pick up a book on world religions.” She added, slowly beginning to clean up the kitchen. It was super late, but the newcomers were fed, had a room, and clean clothing.

“Let’s leave it until the morning. If you still want to make offerings and pray, we can do that first thing. I’ll remind you who I am if you are still forgetting me in the morning, and we can do the baking and drop the offerings off… and say prayers.” She added, filling her sink up with sudsy water and beginning to wash up from the meal she’d just made them both. Leftover stew went into the icebox and slowly Tazrae cleaned up, leaving the siblings to decide what they wanted to do next.

Words: 642
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Fits and starts (Tazrae)

Postby Cleon on April 16th, 2022, 2:27 pm

It should have been comforting to know someone else was experiencing this strangeness along with them, but it wasn’t. Partially because she didn’t have any answers either, and if she did, would he remember them? Just what sort of altered reality had he stepped into. It felt like he was still on board the Veronica, dreaming this elaborate whatever though he knew in his bones that this was real, and sooner or later he would have to face that fact head on.

“Not exactly, I mean everyone seemed fairly normal but we haven’t been here a full day yet so it is hard to judge.” Cleon said, rubbing his hand across his face as he kept thinking on her words, realizing he needed to do something, anything to feel like they were at least going somewhere. Not tonight of course, but later, tomorrow maybe. He’d leave an offering at every shrine every day of this season if that is what it took. Petch, he’d even help build new altars for other gods and goddesses, as many as they could name. Just he needed to be doing something, anything to battle the weight of helplessness he felt now.

“Okay, yeah I can help with that. I don’t recall seeing a shrine to Laviku so maybe I can help put together something temporary. An Kihala, I don’t know much about her, but I’m willing to learn so I can worship her properly.” Cleon said, nodding seriously as he considered their options carefully. “So yeah, we can visit the shrines and maybe let James know about this so we can see if anyone else has been experiencing something similar.” He was grasping for anything at this point that might help them make sense of what was going on, and then he started wondering if he was going to even remember any of this conversation later. While he didn’t know how yet, he knew that he would need to make sure he did recall this conversation later. It was a bit shocking to learn that these sorts of things were not altogether unexpected, but he swallowed that along with the rest of her words as he found himself hoping that it meant that whatever this was, it wasn’t going to be permanent.

“That sounds.. Okay. I uh.. Maybe we should write down a note for ourselves so we can save some time by not repeating this demonstration. You’ll still have to introduce yourself but at least we will have some expectation of having forgotten someone, if it even works like that.” Cleon said scratching his head. If furnished with parchment and a quill he would proceed to write the following note down in a hasty scrawl that was unmistakably his own:

- Tazrae - The owner of the Protea Inn, no one can remember her if they lose sight
- Gave me Shade’s clothes to borrow.
- Gave Faye a dress to borrow.
- Going tomorrow to make offerings.
- Need to let James know about what is happening

With that penned, he folded the piece of parchment but didn’t put it away. He had a feeling he would need to read it again very soon.

“Thank you for being patient with us. I don’t know how our staying here is going to work out because of this, but we’ll figure it out as we go along.” Cleon said, more to reassure himself and Faye before they then quietly departed to their rooms where upon entering he realized there was a strange note in his hand. A strange, disturbing note that he decided to keep to himself so Faye could sleep easy for after reading its contents, sleep did not come easily for Cleon that night.

WC - 616
Cleon
Player

Words: 492860
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2022, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Fits and starts (Tazrae)

Postby Faye on April 16th, 2022, 2:28 pm

Faye quieted considerably as the conversation continued without her, withdrawing into herself as she watched her brother and this woman try to figure something out. It was scary. It was crazy. It was altogether overwhelming, and she was oh so tired. With a little food in her belly now she found it almost hard to keep her eyes open and then she remembered she still needed to bathe before bed so their sheets wouldn’t smell. Biting the bottom of her lip, she listened carefully and gave Tazrae a smile because that was to polite thing to do when someone let you borrow something even if she couldn’t remember the interaction. At this point, she felt stretched beyond her normal range of emotion and everything felt a muted grey, like she could go either way on her mood right now with no powerful feelings in either direction.

When her brother excused himself from the table, she quietly followed him back to the room, nodding at the woman before they left the room and trying to hold her face in her mind as they walked out of sight. Then suddenly she was walking in down the hallway towards their room, and entering it together. Just inside the door, Cleon paused with a piece of parchment in his hands. Faye stepped around him, heading straight for their packs were she fished out a bar of soap, and a comb before she edged around him again to get back into the hallway before turning into the nearby bathroom. Shutting the door behind her, she leaned against the door for several long breaths as she steadied herself, and closed her eyes, trembling slightly as she slid down the door to sit on the floor.

The wave of emotion was as unexpected as it was overwhelming as Faye suddenly felt like the world was crashing in on her. This must be just new place jitters she kept telling herself as she rocked on the the ground, and eventually stood up to get the water started. Stepping out of her dress slowly, she walked under the spray and stood there for several long moments as the slightly warm water washed over hear and drove all the thoughts from her head till there was just the sound of the water spraying on the bottom of the tub while she held herself gently underneath.

Belatedly she realized she was supposed to get to washing herself after she closed her eyes and almost fell asleep standing up. Grabbing up a bar of soap, she got to briskly scrubbing herself just as the water started to turn cold. Then just as quickly she dried herself off on a towel, hanging it up to dry before creeping back to their room where she found Cleon asleep in a chair, the note still clasped in his hand.

Quietly, Faye walked over to him and planted a kiss on his forehead before crossing the room, and slipping into their bed. It would take several more chimes of laying there but eventually she drifted off to sleep.

WC - 512
Faye
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Previous