Swinging at shadows II

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Swinging at shadows II

Postby Cleon on May 25th, 2022, 1:59 pm

61st of Spring, 522 AV

The outpost was still the same mix of sights, sounds and heady smells he remembered it to be as he emerged out into the courtyard and headed straight for the Open Sky Bazaar. He only needed a book, something to write in it with, and perhaps a way of keeping it dry though he would be keeping his eye out for anything else that might help along his other desires. One thing was for certain though. Under no circumstances was he about to indulge his flightier fancies. Today was about procuring the essentials and not about sating his base needs. He had to constantly tell himself just that as he navigated about the stalls and passed two for every three that seemed to be trying to sell him some concoction that would make his moments pass by a little more pleasurably. It was difficult to resist, but he managed to do so by promising himself a little reward when he got back to Syka at which point he could indulge himself without feeling too guilty. What helped was remembering who this money came from, which reinforced the serious necessity of his mission.

Still he was detracted from his search for a blank book by a stall that had various weapons for sale along with other devices he had never seen before. Pointedly what caught his eye was a long wooden stake with a cross at the top. It looked a little scarred up, but mostly unused though it looked so out of place to him beside the stall that he had to wait for his opportunity to approach the merchant. When that tick came, he walked up to the front of the stall and gave the tanned, bearded vendor his most friendly smile. With dark thick eyebrows, a square jaw, and dark tan skin that ran a little lighter around the myriad of scars on his face, the man was not the easiest to smile at, though Cleon still somehow managed. To his relief the man smiled back, revealing rows of straight white teeth that ran a little yellow around the gums.

“What can I do you for today? I saw you eying that dummy over there. Are you looking to start training? If so I’ve got a number of weapons here that I think you might enjoy.” The man said, giving a broad sweeping gesture to the wares he had laid out across the table. “You look like the sort that would do well with a big sword in your hand. Here try this on for size.” The man said hastily before Cleon could speak, putting a hand and a half sword into his hands that almost dragged his arms down as he hefted it.

“Thats a bastard sword. You can use it with two hands or one, whichever fits the moment and feels comfortable. Go ahead, give it a little swing. Here I’ll set up the dummy for you.” The man said, coming around the stall and picking up the wooden cross to drive it into the ground.

WC - 510
Cleon
Player

Words: 492860
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2022, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Swinging at shadows II

Postby Cleon on May 25th, 2022, 2:00 pm

“Go head try, I’ll make sure you don’t hit anyone on your back swing.” The man said giving him a little nudge as he walked behind him. Cleon was a little lost at first, holding the sword awkwardly as he looked around, uneasy about the man behind him or swinging it in this crowded market. Even though it was late afternoon there were still quite a few people milling around the stalls though this man was doing an admirable job of giving him a little space to swing. Taking in a deep breath, Cleon went for a shallow overhead cut that struck the training dummy in the crook. The strike vibrated up his arm as the blade bounced a little before sliding to a stop. Cleon smiled, and looked back at the merchant who returned by his side to give him a slap on the back before taking the sword from him.

“You like it yes? I’ll give you a good price for it. Fifty gold mizas.” The man said as he came back around to the other side of the stall.

“Uh, well actually I was wondering about the training post. I have a few weapons already.” Cleon said.

“Oh that, its just two pieces of wood. Anyone can make that. I’m offering you quality steel. I’ll even sell you a stone to sharpen it with for a measly 10 gm more.” The man said with a grin.

“Fifty is too steep for me. What would you charge for the post?” Cleon countered, not really behind the idea of getting the sword just yet.

“Alright, alright. Forty gold mizas, which with the stone will be fifty altogether.” The man exclaimed.

“Again, too steep. I’m sorry, but I’d be willing to buy that post off of you.” Cleon said stubbornly, and at that the man rolled his eyes.

“The dummy? Okay, the dummy I’ll sell to you for ten gm if you buy the sword for thirty five. Is that low enough for your blood?” The man said, sounding a little exasperated as he traded a smile with a passing Keiss.

“Okay, I guess I can do that. Is the sharpening stone included?” Cleon asked, taking another look at the blade as the merchant shook his head.

“No that will be an extra ten, and if you want a scabbard to put it in I can get you a good price at four gm, how does that sound?” The merchant said, already getting the pieces of the deal together. From behind the counter he slid the sword into a plain brown leather sheath before putting it on the table and beside it he placed a flat gray stone. “Together that will be fifty-nine gold miza.” The merchant said, holding his hand out and withdrawing the mizas from his pouch, Cleon went ahead and paid the man.

“Do you know where I can get a blank book, and writing supplies?” He asked idly as the merchant was counting out the mizas which drew a look from the man who tilted his head up to scratch at the underside of his bearded chin.

WC - 521
Cleon
Player

Words: 492860
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2022, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Swinging at shadows II

Postby Cleon on May 25th, 2022, 2:01 pm

“Ah yes, after this I shall bring you to my cousin who sets me up with everything I need to keep up my books. Great products, you won’t be disappointed.” The man said pocketing the mizas before handing over the sword and stone to Cleon. Taking the stone first he replaced that in the main pocket of his backpack before taking the sword and strapping it to his belt. When he moved the tip of the scabbard occasionally touched the ground so he adjusted the strap so that the sword sat more diagonally across from his hip and by that time the man had come around the counter to clasp both of his shoulders.

“Looks good. Come on my friend, lets go. Leave the training dummy. You can grab that on our way back.” The man said, before grabbing his hand to give it a brisk shake. “My name is Calimshan by the way.”

“Cleon”

“A strong name. You make sure to remember me if you need anything. I’ve got a good line on armor if you are interested.” Calimshan said as he lead the way across the market to a small stall with leather tubes weighing done parchment that had something writing across it in a language he didn’t understand. There were also more than a few books on display, jars of ink, and bundles of quills.

“Rothe. I’ve brought you a customer.” Calimshan laughed as he came around the stall to greet the man on the other side. Unlike Calimshan, this man was lean with a smooth unmarred face though the dark eyebrows and nut brown skin marked him for some kind of relative of the weapon hawkers. The man greeted him gingerly back, before turning to grin at Cleon.

“Well pleased to make your acquaintance. What is it you need?” The man asked.

“I could use a blank book and something to write in it with. Also something to keep the water off of it if you have it.” Cleon stated after taking a moment to shake the man’s hand.

“Hmm.. Going somewhere we huh? Well I might have something you can use. First I’ve got a couple of blank books bound right here. Just pick one out that suits your fancy along with a quill and ink while I go see if I can find something to help with your situation Rothe said as he disappeared to duck behind the counter. Meanwhile from behind it, Calimshan grinned at him.

“I told you this man could help you out, but what is this about getting your book wet? You aren’t planning on swimming with it are you? If so your sword is going to need some oil to keep it from rusting. I can sell you some back at my stall.” Calimshan reasoned, and was about to keep speaking when Cleon shook his head.

“No, but I live on the edge of a jungle and it rains near constantly since I arrived so I’m just being proactive. I might take you up on that oil though.” Cleon said as he picked out a blank leather bound book, two quills and a vial of black ink. By that time the young man had rose from behind the counter with a bundle of dark brown hide.

“This is otterskin. It should keep your book out of the elements. Just wrap it up in this and make sure that you tie it carefully. I can sell you everything for ninety-five gm.” Rothe said.

“Throw in an extra ten and I’ll give you that rustproofing oil.” Calimshan said, patting Rothe on the back. Rothe looked a little surprised, then shrugged with a smile as Cleon handed over the mizas before putting the supplies in his backpack. Before he put the book in he made sure to carefully wrap it in the otterskin before tying it off with a bit of rope in his bag.

“Thank you. It was nice to meet you Rothe. My name is Cleon. I’ll make sure to come back here when I need more supplies.” Cleon said, shaking the man’s hand again before turning to Calimshan.

“Okay Rothe I’ll see you later, I’ve got to take him back to get his oil and training dummy but I’ll be back around to go for drinks.” Calimshan said, coming around the counter to lead the way back through the market. Cleon followed him as far as his stall were he retrieved the rest of his items, say goodbye and wind his way out of the market hauling the simple training dummy over one shoulder. It was a lot more than he anticipated getting today, but for some reason it felt like progress. He hurried back to Syka, eager to try out the training dummy.

WC - 795

- Bastard sword 35 gm
- Scabbard 4gm
- Sharpening stone 10 gm
- Training dummy, simple 10 gm
- Book, Blank 3 gm
- Quill (2) 1 gm
- Ink (1 oz vial) 1 gm
- Otterskin 90 gm
- Rustproof oil 10 gm

Total expenses: 164 GM
Cleon