Following in her footsteps (Pain)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Kelpie on March 11th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Date TBA by Pain

oocThis is a short intro but it's just to get the ball rolling. Please pick a date after the the Lhavit Quest for your next post.

More than half the season the acolyte called Pain spent training under the tutelage of the Shinya. It was both difficult and rewarding, and each day spent with her sponsor seemed to further add a level of contentment under the guidance of her future colleagues. What Pain lacked in discipline and meditation she more than made up for in her fighting prowess, and this did not go unnoticed. The Shinya Instructor Shai took it upon himself to approach the Shinya Elite in order to elevate Pain to an advanced martial arts class. They did not deny him this.

At dusk, a viraya girl approached Pain’s abode and humbly requested her audience for the Shinya Elite. She led her up the familiar staircase further and further until they arrived at the topmost level, and approached the large room on the corner of the floor. It was as if the same events that transpired upon her first meeting were once again unfolding before her eyes.

The viraya slid open the door and bowed herself away, and as Pain entered, she noticed that Kota was standing silent at one corner. The Sanim and the Shinsa waited patiently behind the table, their robes flayed out perfectly along the reed mats. Atanu extended a hand to gesture toward the acolyte,
“Please sit.” He said, “Instructor Shai has told us that you are exceptional at the art of martial arts and Dian Kota here has also explained in immense detail as to why we should elevate you in class. If you’ve no objections, we would like to know if this is what you wish."
Kelpie
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Words: 144278
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2010, 1:27 am
Location: DS of Lhavit, Mod abilities in Lhavit and Unforgiving
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Elhaym on March 14th, 2011, 6:59 pm

35th of Spring, 511 AV

Pain ran her hands along the soft cloth of Acolyte's robes prior to entering the Shinsa's chambers, giving a brief nod to the Viraya who had summoned her. When she entered, she was greeted by the same two men who had started a cascade of events that had seemingly changed her life. Atanu and Jun, the collective leaders of the Shinya. Pain knelt down on the mat before them, clasping her hands together in her lap as Atanu began to explain her summoning.

"I wish this." Pain spoke aloud, attempting to converse in their native language; Lhavitian. She had picked up enough to get by on a minimal basis from her friend and fellow Acolyte, Rei. "Projection, meditation very hard. Working all time." She said, speaking slowly and most likely incorrectly. For Pain, she knew that she probably sounded like an idiot. She glanced at Kota from his position on the far side of the room, who gave a firm nod. She wanted to show these two men that she wasn't just learning to fight; she truly was trying to become a part of this city. "Fighting..." Pain began, but her words failed her. She reverted to Common.

"I'm sorry, my Lhavitian isn't quite there yet. I do wish for this. I'm working hard in some areas, but I spend most of time helping Dian Shai teach the other Acolytes in his class." Pain said, her eyes falling back and forth between the gazes of the two Shinya. "I would accept this honor, but I have one request. I don't want any additional training on my part to interfere with the basic class. Several of the Acolytes have made very big improvements after I've helped them, I don't think I can abandon what I've started there."

When Pain had entered this room originally, her voice had been course and filled with contempt. Her speech was slurred and she had stuttered. Lhavitian wasn't the only language Pain had improved upon; Kota's speech and teachings were slowly washing away the informal method of speaking Pain was used to. Of course, she still slipped... especially in anger. They would no doubt notice this change, as well as her appearance. She was clean, bathed, and her robes were impeccable. A far cry from the dirty face and timeworn garments she had originally entered with.

"Shinsa Atanu, if I may." Kota spoke, moving from his position in the back of the room and walking slowly to Pain's side. He knelt beside her, bowing to both men before continuing. "Elhaym... Pain, as many know her, has shown true dedication to our lifestyle. For a foreigner to come to our city and join our order under such circumstances is unheard of. She grows more befitting a Shinya every day." Kota said, turning his head slightly and smiling to his Acolyte.

"She will accept your invitation, and understands that this is an honor given to precious few."
Elhaym
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

Words: 567762
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Kelpie on March 15th, 2011, 5:20 am

Atanu acknowledged Pain’s use of Lhavitian with a gentle smile. He nodded approvingly, whereas Jun retained his stoic expression throughout the conversation between herself and the Shinsa.

“You’ve picked it up faster than most foreigners do, so there should be comfort in that you will be able to speak it fluently by this season’s end. But your dedication to learning our culture and our language has not been misplaced, we are grateful, and honored that you have decided to take up what is rightfully your heritage.”
The Shinsa spoke carefully, watching her reaction for any hint of displacement.

“We, as an Order, are willing to grant you this one request, for it will not be a true class, but one on one lessons with none other than Sanim Jun.” Atanu gestured towards his advisor, who gave a curt nod toward Pain’s direction, “After each lesson you may return to the Acolyte class and go about your training of the young ones, but every other class you have will remain as is.” When Kota spoke up, Atanu and Jun turned to address him, “Your own dedication to teaching her our ways, Dian Kota, is admirable. You have, from what we’ve seen, improved her standings immensely, and we have reason to grant you whatever request you wish of us in conjunction to hers.”

It was Jun now that spoke after Atanu, and his eyes lingered on Pain’s, “Elhaym Vormav, heir to Sooyun Furuma, you have followed in the footsteps of your ancestor, and thus it seems fitting you will be gifted with that which was once hers, as it is your birthright.”

Jun turned to grasp a moderately large chest and placed it gently on the table. It was made of old leather, with clasps of skyglass and the emblem of the Shinya etched at the top. Jun unclasped the top of the chest and slowly opened it, revealing three katanas sheathed in elaborately embroidered scabbard of blue and black sitting atop a magnificent garnished robe of black lined in gold.

“These once belonged to the Sanim Sooyun Furuma, and now, Elhaym, they belong to you. May it remind you of what you may one day become.”
Kelpie

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Elhaym on March 15th, 2011, 7:43 am

Pain took a step forward as the contents of the elaborate case were revealed. Three swords that were all eerily familiar to her, as well as a exquisitely detailed robe. These weapons and garments were the ones Pain had seen in the portrait of Sooyun within the Bharani Library, worn by her ancestor. Her face locked up, widened eyes gazing upon perhaps the only physical memory Lhavit had of Sooyun Furuma.

And they had given it to her.

Pain reached within the chest, retrieving the blade that rested in the center of the three. Her fingers curled around it's heft, and Pain relished the weight of the sheathed blade as she pulled it closer to herself and examined it.

"If I became half of what Sooyun was... I would consider myself lucky." Pain said, accenting her statement by unsheathing the brilliant steel blade. It was foreign in her hands, but it did hold a sense of power. She whipped it up and down, and examined it's still finely honed edge before sliding it back into it's decorative scabbard. Pain gently placed the blade back in it's spot, filling the soft indention it had left behind.

"I... I don't know what to say. Thank you." Pain said softly, bowing deeply to the Sanim and equally so to the Shinsa. She relaxed her body into her kneeling position, but she was visibly shaken by the breadth of this gift.

"I do in fact have a simple request, Shinsa." Kota said after noticing that Pain was far to absorbed in her emotions to speak any further at the moment. "Elhaym has come very far, but she still lacks considerable proficiency in many of her arts. As a fully ordained Shinya, there is only so much I can do to help her while working within the confines of an Acolyte's schedule. So, by your graces, I would ask that Elhaym be allowed to stay with me within the Shinyama Monastery for the duration of her training. With this arrangement, i'm sure we would make much more progress in her studies."

Pain's head snapped to the side, meeting Kota's eyes as he slowly turned his head. There was the faintest of grins smeared across his face... Pain's mouth hung askew, as if she had been slapped in the face. The bright red burning in her cheeks only further detailed her surprise.

Kota and Pain's heads both returned slowly to match the gaze of the Shinya elite.
Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Kelpie on March 27th, 2011, 1:48 am

Jun gave her a curt nod, allowing her to relish in the opportunity she was so generously given. Atanu, on the other hand, turned his head to address Kota, and at his request the Shinsa could not help but display the subtle smile that played on his lips. He chuckled lightly, "Of course, Dian Kota, if Elhaym is comfortable with this decision then it shall be granted. Perhaps this way you will get to know each other in more ways than one." The implications were there but Atanu showed no hint of it in his expression. Instead he rose as did Jun, their robes falling just bellow their ankles.

"I believe it is time for Elhaym to begin her one on one lessons. Dian Kota you may take her heirlooms to your rooms while she is away. I suspect it won't be long before you may exact your revenge, young Acolyte."

-------

It wasn't in the sanctum of the Shinyama Pavilion where Elhaym and her new instructor would train under. While Atanu and Kota remained behind, Jun led the Acolyte out of the Pavilion, with a multitude of eyes following them along the way as they walked toward the familiar path of the Shinyama Monastery. The grand home of the Shinya loomed over the expansive Misty Peaks. It's halls holding the families of hundreds of the Order, with small children playing among the rock gardens or in the arms of their parents. Here they were nurtured at birth to be a Shinya at heart, but their choices in life would lead them to the destiny of a Protector.

When Jun and Elhaym arrived at the Sanim's abode on the third level of the Monastery, two Viraya servants opened the large double door for them and allowed them entrance. It soon became apparent that Elhaym was in Jun's personal home, and not only this, he had a family as well, as was apparent by the rooms left slightly open to reveal toys scattered across the floor. But Jun did not pause here. The hallway may have opened to rooms on either side but the end lead to an outer courtyard complete with a training ring. It was a sand garden, with a tranquil pond nestled between tall plants and majestic sculptures of various animals. A Viraya girl had followed them in, taking the robe Jun slid off and bowing quickly before leaving.

After what seemed like quite a while, Jun spoke.

"Welcome, Elhaym Vormav, to my humble home," He walked carefully toward the training ring, his arms resting behind his back, "You have shown the same origins that Sooyun Furuma has. You are gifted in martial arts, and so it seemed fit to reward you with true lessons to help you advance furthur. We will begin with what you know. Attack this dummy here. Show me all the techniques you know, and we will work from there." Jun said, gesturing toward the wooden dummy in the far corner of the training ring.
Kelpie

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Elhaym on March 30th, 2011, 11:06 am

Pain nodded as Jun instructed her to showcase her talents. Her eyes fell upon the wooden target, and her stride was confident as she took a few brisk steps in it's direction. She took a few deep breaths, stretching her arms and legs and shaking them in a much condensed warm up routine. Once she felt her muscles stirring and coming to life, she assumed her typical combat stance.

The way Pain fought was neither flashy nor impressive to watch for most, but it was effective. She started off by throwing a very basic punching combination, switching between hands before taking a quick step in and impacting the wooden surface with her right elbow in a sweeping motion. The final blow's force was considerable, causing the target to shift in the dirt that housed it's supporting beam. Pain backed off, secretly wishing she could shake her hands and blow on her knuckles; the harsh wooden surface had scraped and drawn blood already. She was used to it, but those who said that sort of thing stopped hurting after a while were idiots. You got used to the pain, but it still hurt none the less.

She unleashed another combination attack upon the target, this time leading with her fists but snaking them around from the sides, crushing the practice dummy's would be ribs. As a final maneuver, she threw her left knee into the torso area of the target, her left arm flailing backwards and powering the strike with increased momentum. Again the target shook, the dirt loosening up considerably around the base of it's support. Pain went through several more dry runs such as this, showcasing her kicking and striking techniques. Jun would see that she heavily favored her elbows and knees, and when lashing out with her legs she struck with her lower shin rather than her actual foot. His experienced eyes would also note that her attacks seemed to escalate in both speed and power as she struck, and that they all seemed designed to lure the opponent into a position of weakness where the final more powerful strike would cripple them. Such was Pain's way.

Though Pain didn't intend for it to be, the finale of her exhibition was a technique that had brought her both great success and failure in the past. As she her fist recoiled from a hard blow against the porous wood, Pain jerked her right leg up and bent it at the knee. Firmly planting it on the lower area of the dummy, she propelled herself up into the air, curling her body inwards and gripping the back of the target's faux head. Her knee came quickly, impacting the dummy with such force that the wooden head was broken free from it's base. In an explosion of splinters, Pain came back to the ground and stuck her landing on one leg. She bounced backwards, catching herself and turning back to face Jun.

His target was in ruins. Not only had it been decapitated, but it now sat lopsided in the ground. "I'm... sorry about that. I can pay for that to be fixed." Pain said a bit sheepishly, not really sure how the stoic Sanim would take to having his own personal equipment destroyed. She hadn't meant to, in any case. At the very least, he had gotten a glimpse into Pain's fighting mindset and her capabilities as a warrior.
Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Kelpie on April 13th, 2011, 11:39 pm

For all the showcasing Pain displayed with her techniques, Jun hardly reacted. In fact, his expression was one of deep contemplation, even hinting at disapproval. He approached the dummy silently, inspecting it with a keen eye, but for all his scrutinizing was worth, he said not a word for a chime or two. When he spoke, his eyes lingered only on the remains of the splintered wood.

“You may have the destiny of Sooyun Furuma, young Acolyte, but you are far from defeating the woman that has caused us such torment.” His eyes fell on Pain; an intense gaze, “You need more than just physical strength to defeat her, but due to the mishap with Projection I am wary of bringing up the matter altogether.” He paused, “You show great dedication in your learning. Even when exposed to the initial trauma of extracting your astral body from your physical self, you remained with us. You did not crumple into yourself and shy away. You have the makings of a master, in you, Elhaym.”

Jun motioned to a Viraya boy waiting at the entrance to his rooms, who immediately began sweeping the shards of wood into a pan. When he left, the Sanim continued, “My mistakes have cost our Order a great deal, but with you, I may be able to establish some semblance of honor yet. I will teach you Flux, Acolyte Elhaym, and you will learn to harness it and control it, unless you enjoy having your body torn apart from within.”

Jun stood before Pain then, tall and imposing, and looked down at her with a gaze that screamed authority, “I will not hold back, acolyte. Every broken bone you may harbor, every bloody wound you patch up takes you one step closer to achieving your victory. You will come to my home every day at dawn, you will bow with every greeting and you will speak only in Lhavitian.” Then almost abruptly, Jun grasped Pain by her collar and lifted her up with one hand, “There is nothing you cannot do with this ability,” He said calmly, then threw the Acolyte against one of the wooden pillars surrounding the open garden.

“But without a limit, it will destroy you. Will you agree to my terms?”
Kelpie

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Elhaym on April 14th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Pain's body slapped the wooden pillar with a thud, and she was barely able to keep herself falling into a pile as her feet and flailing arms caught her. Standing fully, she forced her hands at her side. She wanted to clutch her lower back where the impact had been harshest, but she didn't want to show that sort of weakness. Despite, her teeth were clenched and her eyes wide. It was obvious that his display had both surprised and hurt her; she could only fake being okay to a certain extent.

The Flux. She knew it well, as well as someone who did not practice it likely could. She'd been on the receiving end of it's power on several occasions, and like today the sudden strength it granted it's user was frightening. Her body was in peak condition, but her innate strength could not stand before muscles fueled by djed. She'd desired it, even gone so far as to spend a small fortune on a text referencing the magical art. The drawbacks had seemed to severe however, and Pain had never considered the notion again.

Until this moment.

Jun's words were true. Though Pain had been slowly getting better with her Projection, her progress was laughable and it's combat usefulness was pathetic. At her current rate, it would take a decade for her to harness her astral body with any effectiveness. The Flux however, would fuel what was already a lethal weapon, and turn it into something even more powerful. She'd been too scared to attempt the Flux alone, but with a master...

"Yes, Sanim."

The thought of finding and killing Crow hadn't consumed her like she thought it would when she first stepped foot into Lhavit. She had eased into her life within the Shinya order, and the city of Lhavit had become her home. That measure of peace had sustained her for the time being, but she knew the desire to seek that woman out and finish her would slowly bleed back into her mind. She needed as many weapons as she could master. She would learn the Flux. Yet something did bother her about Jun's speech and demeanor, something that tugged at her consciousness and forced her to speak despite her fear of reprimand. He had mentioned mistakes, and honor. What mistakes had he made that she could possibly correct? She had to know.

"Sanim, what does Crow have to do with your honor, or your mistakes?"
Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Kelpie on April 26th, 2011, 3:57 am

“Everything,” The Sanim replied evenly, his back turned to Elhaym, “For years I’ve attempted to nurse the wounds that woman has left on myself and the Order. She’s an abomination, the worst that has spawned in this city for centuries and it pains me that she yet breathes.” Jun glanced at the Acolyte, his expression as stoic as any other day, but his words fell like cold stones, “She was my apprentice, you see. I taught her everything I knew… and yet I couldn’t see the corruption that lay beneath. Exceptional student. A prodigy amongst her peers, but she fell to ruin and took the lives of many of our people.”

“It was my duty to send her to Dira, but even in that task I failed. She holds magic beyond what we allow in Lhavit and I have no doubts that she has been touched by a malevolent god. But enough about this tragedy. We have much work to do and it’s best we get the basics done now.” Jun gestured for Pain to approach.

“The Flux has been a personal magic that many ancient soldiers of Western Mizahar possessed during the Pre-Valterrian. It allowed the user to harness their djed and surge it through a limb to empower it further than it was normally capable of. Of course, with all magic, there are risks. The Flux is notorious for weeding out the weak-willed from the exceptional practitioners. Allow the magic to overcome you, and there is no doubt you will die.” He stared straight into Elhaym’s eyes as he said this.

“You’ve already felt your astral body separated from your physical shell. What connects these two together are djed pathways. The Flux is centered around manipulating these pathways to send your djed to any part of your body to empower them. Take, for example, what I did to you. I focused my djed to my arm, enhancing the strength it normally would not be able to hold, then when you were released, I willed it to flow through my torso and beyond. In an effort to keep from destructing from within, one must master their own body and their own pathways, making sure to keep your djed flowing as freely and as fluidly as possible. Come.” Jun motioned for Elhaym to follow as he approached one of the multitude of small statues that decorated the open garden.

“We’ll start simple. Concentrate and tap into the pathways in your body. Think of them as free-flowing rivers, govern them with your will, and attempt to lift this statue using only one hand.”
Kelpie

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Elhaym on April 26th, 2011, 5:00 am

Crow had been Shinya. His explanation settled uneasily in her head, but from what she knew about Oyama Tye it made sense. Had he not professed her strength and cunning, she may have found herself far more terrified at the prospect of this personal magic than she was. As it stood, the notion that this woman's treachery spanned farther than her own stolen brother was enough to briefly harden her resolve to that of iron.

She took a step towards Jun, but the iron wavered. He explained the methodology behind the flux, and the sharp pain in her backside affirmed his statements and throbbed heavily. At leasts she hadn't cracked her head, or likely she'd be taking a nap with the force she had struck the pillar with. The statue she was to lift was embedded in the ground, and likely weighed forty-five or fifty-five pounds. Not an impossible task even unaided, but she took it seriously.

Projection was hard and foreign to her, but his words made sense. It wasn't though some scholarly knowledge that she knew, rather from she had felt. It was near impossible for her to manipulate her astral self without calming herself beforehand, and so she assumed it would be the same for the Flux. Elhaym crouched beside the statue, arranging her hands into a position that had helped her focus in the past. One palm open, the other balled into a fist and pressing into it. The physical strain helped clear her mind, the ambient noise and the feeling of air upon her skin slowly fading into blackness. It took a full chime before Elhaym's mind was black, before she could truly begin to focus.

She felt her mind instinctively moving to the astral form of herself, preparing to ease it from it's shell. With some effort, she subdued the notion and instead focused on what lay nearby; the rivers and channels that were invisible to the eye, carrying djed as it's passenger. She thought of them as a whole, unable to pick out individuals among the masses, but it seemed enough. She could feel them. Her breath was steady and slow, her mind busily familiarizing itself with the pathways of djed in her body as she slipped further into her meditative state.

Another chime passed, and then another. Even knowing what to look for, knowing what to do, the words meant little when actually attempting it within her body. She merely felt them at first, but soon began trying to will them to grow. As if widening the banks of a river and ushering a tidal wave along it's waters, soon the channels began to respond. She felt it in her body immediately, a hot tingling sensation throughout her major muscle groups. She was ready.

Elhaym opened her eyes, reaching to grip the statue underneath the pits of it's stone arms. One arm hung at her side while the other tightened it's grip, and she pulled with all her might. The statute shifted, but did not rise right away. It was almost instinctive to push harder, but not simply with her muscles. The clarity in her mind still lingered, and the tidal wave of energy pouring through her body became greater. A second yell, more of a roar this time, and the statue was held aloft by a single hand.

Pain stood panting, tossing the statue back to the ground with a heavy thud after giving Jun time to examine it. Her muscles were all tight and hot, and the felt as if they were buzzing. Something hot and prickly nicked at her body from within, and she understood at once that it was the djed she had forced into it cycling through it's pathways unchecked. She had only been able to force it out along her entire body; guiding it was beyond here at this moment. She knew it was dangerous, foolhardy even. The same power had crippled her father, rendering his right hand useless.

But she was strong, and she could handle this. She had to. She became aware that she was panting, and straightened her posture before the Sanim.

"It is hard, but I can do it Sanim." She said simply. Already the hot pins and needles had faded into nothing.
Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Next