[The Great Bazaar] Hunger and Poverty (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Alec Skywolf on May 30th, 2011, 11:27 pm

"Alec, I've seen you flutter about, and I know it's a bit cramped in here, but can you fly?"

The owl could not help becoming a little indignant at this question. Could he fly? Sure he looked a little worse for wear after his long journey but was he an owl that couldn't fly? The thought made him puff up a little as thought insulted. However he calmed down quickly as Marc asked him to fetch the pen and parchment.

The owl stretched his large wings and swooped over the desk. With uncharacteristic grace the owl neatly plucked up parchment and a pen from the desk. He was careful not to damage either with his beak. With another swoop he placed both items in front of Marc. With his beak he even gingerly unrolled the parchment for him to write on.

Alec smiled inwardly. A large portion of him was cautiously optimistic that he'd found someone to serve, and if the tasks were as easy as fetching pens it would be a fortuitous relationship indeed. Although he had hoped his bond-mate would be of the fairer gender, he could not complain. His mind wandered for a moment - how would Marc react if/when he discovered Alec was a Kelvic? But Alec was a glass-is-half-full kind of owl so he pushed the thought to the back of his mind as he gave Marc his full attention.
Alec Skywolf
Player

Words: 9765
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2011, 12:08 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Marc on May 30th, 2011, 11:54 pm

Marc earnestly laughed for the first time in days, and in the passion of the moment even went so far as to pet his new companion behind the ears. Whether or not he enjoyed it was beyond Marc's attention, as for a brief moment his professionalism and stern upbringing had finally fallen short. A wizard could not wish for more than this. He grinned and spoke in a light-hearted tone. "Marvelous Alec, Marvelous!" Marc leaned over to the cabinet near the table, his arm straining to reach, and pulled out another slim stick of jerky. He held it out for his new friend to nibble on, and smiled to him. "Here. I've never been too big a fan of these things, but you seem to like them all the same."

Marc took the pen and parchment, rolled them up together, and placed them into the pocket of his nearby cloak. "Sometime, I'll show you what secrets I'm hiding in this little hut of mine. But there are more important matters to be had right now." Marc's expression became a bit more serious as he continued, his gaze matching the owl's own relentless stare. "Do you have a place to stay? I don't have any accommodations here for... Owls... but it couldn't be too difficult to procure. Or perhaps you live out in the forests? Hm... This is perplexi-" As he was stroking his chin, Marc chuckled to himself. For a moment, he forgot he was speaking to an owl. "I'll make it simpler. Do you live in the forest, or with anyone here in Syrilas, Yes or No." Marc grinned to himself as a final addendum of an idea popped into his head.

Note to self; Find means for owl to effectively communicate.
Marc
Scholar and Summoner

Words: 19569
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2011, 1:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Alec Skywolf on May 31st, 2011, 12:18 am

As the tasty meat snack was brought infront of him the owl cut off bits with his beak joyously. His golden eyes glowed with gratitude. It had been days since he'd eaten so much and to say it was a satisfying feeling to go from lonely and starving to satiated and a happy companion was a huge understatement. The owl had expected it to be a long time before he found a companion but his mom had been right, it was easier that he thought. Sighing inwardly Alec's thoughts drifted back to his mother as his telling gaze fell up the silver locks of hair tide up around his collar. He quickly forced such thoughts from his mind before it made him cry. Besides Marc was asking him something and Alec was grateful he had repeated it.

"Do you live in the forest, or with anyone here in Syrilas, Yes or No."

Alec shook his head no. Though the thick layer of dust that coated his plumage said that he had been spending quite sometime in the forests. The owl was a perfect specimen with multicolored plumage that was thick and his beak was bold and free of cracks. His one outstanding flaw was he was not a very clean owl at all.
Alec Skywolf
Player

Character sheet

Postby Marc on May 31st, 2011, 1:06 am

Marc stroked his chin in thought as he pondered where, or better yet, even how an owl sleeps. He smiled brightly as he extended a hand out to Alec. "Well, how would you like to stay with me then? I don't have anything for you yet, but I'm sure I can get some bedding or whatever it is you need for a nest."

Marc glanced over the owl's form seriously for the first time, and noticed how majestic the beast actually was. Alec's wings were bold and wide, and his beak was sturdy and tough. He had no doubt that this friendship would be the start of great things, mentally and physically. Plus, now he had an assistant for his summoning studies. He spoke calmly as he asked one final request.

"One last thing, and consider my questions over for now. I feel it necessary to tell you that I am a wizard, and if you are to stay with me, you must be prepared to deal with arts you have never conceived of... Although who knows what owls dream of." Marc smirked to Alec as he extended his forearm, motioning for him to hop on, if only as a symbol of trust.
Marc
Scholar and Summoner

Character sheet

Postby Alec Skywolf on May 31st, 2011, 1:25 am

Swirls of excitement filled the owls head. A user of magic? How exciting! Perhaps, given the right time, Alec could reveal himself as a Kelvic and Marc would be more interested then he would be upset. The owl remembered some weird stories his mother had told him of magic users, wizards and the like, he was excited to have made this new friend. The owls eyes noticeable glowed with intrigue and curiosity at the use of the words magic and wizard.

Gladly Alec leapt onto Marc's extended forearm, being careful not to cut him with his talons. A deep hoot of contentment came from the owl as it perched itself comfortably on Marc's arm. His mind still swirled with the tales of his childhood, thoughts of his mother, and thoughts of his newfound friend. Alec blinked heavy eyes, stretched his massive wings, and yawned his sable beak wide. With all the activity he had not realize how tired he was.
Alec Skywolf
Player

Character sheet

Postby Marc on May 31st, 2011, 2:11 am

Marc chuckled at the show of fatigue. His mind was a bit relieved to find out Alec wasn't amazingly energetic as well as intelligent. Not too different from a usual owl after all. He stood, the weight of the winged beast setting his balance off-kilter for a brief moment, before walking over to his dresser. He knelt down to pull out the bottom drawer with a creak, and haphazardly began emptying it of the occasional piece of junk that occupied it. Afterwards, Marc took an old book by the binding, and forcefully began the process of ripping the spine away from the paper.

Five minutes later, Marc threw the bundle of a couple hundred papers into the bottom drawer and smirked, his face turning to look at Alec as he rose his arm up. "There you go. Tear it up, rip it apart; do whatever you want to nest it up in there. Next time I go out into the wood we'll get you some more natural bedding." He let his tired companion hop down, and gave him a gentle pat on the head before walking back to his study. Marc sat and began to studiously begin pulling at seemingly-random articles and tomes, all dealing with mystic beasts and folklore.

What exactly is this beast of mine...
Marc
Scholar and Summoner

Character sheet

Postby Alec Skywolf on May 31st, 2011, 2:52 am

Hooting jovially the owl plunged into the drawer of torn of papers. He began taring them to tiny shreds and looked as throw he were doing it more for fun than as though he was making himself a nest. Alec enjoyed the simple pleasures in life, there were scarce few things in life as fun as taring up leaves or paper to as small a dread as possible. In his frenzy grew to a fever pitch as hooted playfully and ribbons of torn paper flew about the drawer both inside and out. Alec could not remember the last time he had had some much fun. For once he was not missing his mother or afraid and alone in a strange and cold forest.

His thoughts had so completely lightened that he even forgotten that he had left his precious collar along with the lock of silver hair on the table when he had hopped onto Marc's arm. Normally he might have brought it with him not letting it leave his side. However Alec was in desperate need of some stress relief and had lost himself wholly to the destructive entertainment of ripping the paper to as fine of shreds as he could.
Alec Skywolf
Player

Character sheet

Postby Marc on June 1st, 2011, 1:16 am

Marc smiled to himself as he worked half-heartedly, the sounds of shredding parchment echoing through the room. The fact that Alec trusted Marc enough to leave his keepsake aside for now was a good sign, and Marc enjoyed the steady progress. The poor thing could use some play and glee, and the secrets that he held were not even imaginable by the scholarly master. He didn't even know what Alec was, as it was plain to see that he was no ordinary owl. If he were a trained pet, as he originally believed, then no owner would let such a prize escape his cage, as an owl that understands language is beyond the boundaries of nature. Magic had to be involved, but Marc was Seer, or Aurist, and all he had to go on were various tales and legends, with a mediocre background in summoning.

After the room had quieted down a bit more, Marc allowed himself to withdraw from his tedious solitude, and shelved the tome. He went over to observe his new companion's handiwork, and couldn't help but let out a small chuckle. The floor was dotted with small shreds of paper which had been haphazardly tossed about in the furious battle against parchment. He gave Alec a comforting pat on the head, and walked over to his own, human-sized bed. Marc loved the cushioned feeling of the mattress after a day of intrigue, no matter how stiff. He let himself fall back, and sink into a state of half-consciousness, his mind flowing into two streams of thought. He watched the mysterious owl with sleep-yearning eyes as he joyously played about, and simple smirked to himself as he laid on the bed.

The Gods seem to have repaid me for my years of misfortune...
Marc
Scholar and Summoner

Character sheet

Postby Alec Skywolf on June 1st, 2011, 1:53 pm

A short time after Marc had climbed in his own bed Alec began to tare the paper more slowly, then not at all. The owl had a restless feeling. It was very weird to climb into bed now that the moon was up. Part of the owl instinctually wanted to get outside and stretch his wings, but another part was so worn out that it welcomed the the comforts of sleep. Rarely had Alec ever had anything better than a perch as it bed. The idea of laying and roosting in the soft shreds of paper was very tempting.

Wriggling into the bedding Alec made himself comfortable quickly. Sleep came upon him quickly as his body diverted so much energy into digesting the buffet of food in his stomach. The meager field mouse he had caught earlier that day was the kind of food he was used to. The cured meat had tasted amazing. Perhaps the kindness of this stranger was the god's rewarding him for his hardships. Soon Alec's mind drifted off to sleep.

Alec's sleep was restful at first, but with time his owl mind became more and more restless. As his mind became listless - his instinct begging him to wakeup - his dreams became anxious, scary even. Horrifying images haunted his minds eye as the moon begged him to wake up. He could feel her pull like a lover. A lover who's control over the poor bird was absolute, so the owl could not sleep and awoke.

Yellow eyes opening wide Alec looked around the room to find Marc asleep. The owl told himself he would only be gone a short while, he just needed some fresh air. He told himself he would be back before Marc was even awake. So the owl crept as quietly as he could over to the door. Raising his beak to the latch Alec opened it with uncharacteristic grace. The owl's shadow slipped out the doorway with a short glance back at Marc. I'll be right back, he won't even know I left. However in his giddy anticipation of seeing the moon again the owl had completely forgotten to close the door behind himself or clean up the trail of tiny paper bits that followed him out the door.
Alec Skywolf
Player

Character sheet

Postby Marc on June 1st, 2011, 4:07 pm

Marc awoke from the myriad of thoughts occupying his resting mind calmly, and at an ungodly hour. He had a habit of waking up if need be, in order to jot down some puzzle he just solved or an experience he wished to record. The physicians in Zeltiva called this "Lucidity." Sometimes he would even write his dreams as myths or legends, and pass them off as authentic tales to crowds of listeners. However there were no spectators in his room this night, nor were there ever. In fact, he was once again bathed in the solitude which for years had now comprised his day-to-day life. Solitude...

He let out a soft sigh as he looked around, noticing the tell-tale signs of a nomadic owl passing through. His intellectual instinct told him that Alec would return, but still, now that he had a taste of the intriguing companion, the loneliness only stung that much more. He could not even fathom going out into the savage wilderness at night alone, and to use his magician's talent would carry extraordinary consequences, especially whilst within the city walls. No, he would wait, and with a shake of his head, Marc strode sleepily towards his desk to jot down the remainder of his thoughts, before plopping back into bed for whatever sleep he could muster. Tomorrow would be another day, and with it time to conduct more studies, and perhaps a little exhibition for his new friend. Yes, Marc was itching for a chance to put theory into practice, and it had been a while since he last went into the fields to play.

Tomorrow it is.

(OOC)Feel free to skip to tomorrow morning. Marc is a pretty heavy sleeper, and a little owl won't do much to wake him. ^^"
Marc
Scholar and Summoner

Character sheet

Previous