[Skill] Reed Weaving

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

[Skill] Reed Weaving

Postby Akuaysun on January 13th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Reed Weaving

Also known as Basket Braiding, Wicker Working, and Straw Spinning, the art of Reed Weaving is one of man’s oldest trades. The art is so old in fact that no-one is quite sure when it started, and as most old trades are, it is invaluable to the survival of all bipedal beings. Used for flatware, containers, furniture, and in smaller circles armor, there are virtually no limitations on the aspirations a gifted Reed Weaver.

Prerequisites and Related Skills
The only true prerequisite for reed weaving is that the craftsman has access to all components needed. This includes water, reed or straw of some nature that is a minimum of one foot in length, glues, and oils of some manner. While most prefer oils that are non combustible such as olive or lily oils any will do.

There are no skills that are directly related to the absolute benefit or requirement of Reed Weaving, however many can be combined with the skill. This are, of course, at the users discretion, and many who take up the skill have close ties to Pottery.

Components

• Reed and Straw – The heart and soul of Reed Weaving, these are the base materials used in the process. A skilled craftsman knows that different components have different properties and will explore these options throughout his life. For example the wider reeds are excellent for creating plates or low baskets, while the finer materials are more suited braiding carriages and furnitures.
  • Water – Water is used to soak and shape the reed or straw, making it malleable. Without water the process would be impossible and the materials would often break before completion of the project.
  • Oils – Often used after the completion of a project, oils are applied and soaked into the materials to give them a lasting flexibility. Without proper oil treatments, materials become quite brittle over time and the project will break down.
  • Glues – Used to affix components into a set shape and hold them, or for bonding. Most craftsman prefer organic compounds that do not break down the natural strength of their materials such as honey, syrups, tree saps, and occasionally ground limestone and water. These are of course used sparingly, and avoided whenever possible as a glued joint will never hold up as well as a woven one.
  • Inserts – These can be literally anything; many chose to weave inserts into their work to fill a function better suited outside of objects made of straw or reed. Often included are wooden bands for bracing edges, clay floors to insure durability, and metal wiring to improve overall strength.

Skills

• Soaking – The process of submerging the materials into a clean water bath and letting them absorb water to gain a malleable state. A user proficient in soaking knows through experience just how long materials need. Too long in the water and the materials turn to mush and are worthless, two short of a time span and they are to brittle to work with.
  • Oiling – The art of applying oils to the product at the applicable time to insure long term flexibility of their design. Materials that are not oiled often dry out, crack and break over time, just as a sword requires upkeep so too does the basket.
  • Gluing – The process of applying a bonding agent to materials in order to improve strength at an intersecting point. This is most often used at points of weakness, or areas where inserts are added. By gluing the product is seen as flawed and as one can imagine shunned by high level weavers.
  • Layering – The process of laying materials atop one another weaving them above and below intersecting pieces.
  • Rolling – Twisting materials into a more tubular form to increase strength
    through layers.
  • Knotting – Tying materials together using links or knots.
  • Braiding – The process of taking multiple strands of materials and crisscrossing them in a set pattern to create a tightly pulled and strengthened band.

Skill Progression

Novice (1-25)
At the Novice level a Reed Weaver is often found as an apprentice to a more experienced craftsman. They learn the process of soaking, gluing, and oiling through observation and practice. Generally they are only skilled enough to create product using the layering technique and a majority of their time is spent running errands and collecting materials. Common products are plates, simple bowls, and sifters.

Competent (26-50)
The Competent weaver now has a firm grasp upon the concepts of the skill. He or she can create product using multiple forms of technique and can generally support themselves with the skill. At this level they also begin to form a distinct understanding of what materials particular strengths and weaknesses are, and have the ability to choose those which best fit a project. Common products are baskets of varying sizes and forms as well as rope.

Expert (51-75)
The expert is seen as a skilled craftsman, and holds a firm grip and understanding of the process. Rarely do they waste time with simple projects, and their works are seen as functional art. They understand the complex details of their materials and often seek out new and exotic items to use in their form. An excellent living can be earned from the skill at this point and it is well known that those with money will seek out an expert for the comfort and reliability of their furniture. Common products include furniture, nets and works of art.

Master (76-100)
The Pinnacle of the form a Master Weaver often abandons commercial use of his skill and focuses on completely unique projects. Their understanding of materials is unrivaled and they can create seemingly impossible things from the straw. Among them is closely guarded secret of Straw Armor which uses layering and braiding of ultra thin materials as well as inserts to create an incredibly light weight and flexible, yet amazingly strong and durable armor.

The heavens tore and from the area between night and day we fell, to the waters below where we should be reborn and live anew, always separated and forever yearning.
Akuaysun
Leth's Lost Soul

Words: 59383
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2009, 8:51 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Re: [Skill] Reed Weaving

Postby Stitch on January 14th, 2010, 9:33 pm

I can't really think of anything to help the article, there are minor grammatical errors every now and then, but nothing that takes away from it as a whole. This is very well written, and I actually learned something about Reed Weaving. You either did your research, have a good imagination, or know how to do it yourself. Kudos. <33
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 16th, 2010, 6:12 pm

This writeup is really well done, but I do have a major issue with it.

I have always considered 'Weaving' to include far more than just 'reed weaving'. From a PC's perspective - and I've played a weaver pc before - I don't want to have to take Reed Weaving and then say 'Loom Weaving' or 'Hand Weaving' in order to be able to produce baskets, and then weave rugs. I think the Weaving Skill should include all these things under one blanket ability called "Weaving".

When you have a skill like Jewelcrafting, you identify Gems, cut them, facet them, set them into settings, make rings, make chains, do all sorts of metalwork too but it all falls under the blanket category of 'Jewelcrafting'.

The same goes for a whole host of other skills. So my biggest issue (and the one I think most everyone has been reluctant to voice - but I don't mind being the bad guy - its my job) is that this writeup is just too specific and needs to be expanded to all forms of weaving.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Stitch on January 16th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Ach, I didn't even notice that the skill was actually just "Weaving". How silly of me. But yeah. Even though really well written, Goss does have a point. The small little line of text we have under the Weaving skill is:
Weaving is the skill of creating fabric by means of interweaving textiles or fibers.

Perhaps if you continue on this write-up, though, you could use a bit of this information to describe one of the various types of Weaving. Just an idea.
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Akuaysun on January 16th, 2010, 7:30 pm

I have to disagree Goss, weaving textiles and clothing is very VERY different then hand weaving baskets and wicker furniture. The tools and scale of the projects is like apples and oranges. Sure they are both fruit but they belong to different families.

You don’t see textile and clothing manufactures producing baskets, and I do not think that you would in Miza either. In the skill list we have things that, while yet to be wrote up, are just as if not more specific.

For your example yes all of those things go into making a piece of jewelry, but I do not think that the parallel carries, a loomer doesn’t make baskets. They might have a general idea of what they are doing but would never produce a product that could compare, just as a person trained with the sword might have a good idea of how to swing a knife but if they aren’t trained with it, the movements are still going to be wrong.

Personally I think it breaks down into two things, textile weaving or looming, and this hand / basket / reed or whatever name you want to give it weaving.

The heavens tore and from the area between night and day we fell, to the waters below where we should be reborn and live anew, always separated and forever yearning.
Akuaysun
Leth's Lost Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 16th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Actually, I come from a native american background and grew up on a reservation. Basket weaving and rug making was something everyone practically knew. I can weave myself. All our weavers are terribly overlapped. We use looms as well as sit and weave by hand. Braiding rug is no different than braiding reeds truthfully. The only difference is preparation, handling of materials, and finishing off the projects. In fact, most basket makers I know don't use any sort of glue or adhesives at all. It would be scoffed at. Thats the same with rug makers. I'm going to have to stand firm by that. I'm talking from my life experience here.

I didn't really want to start this argument, which was why I was dragging my feet posting. I sorta knew you'd respond that way. It's understandable. But I am firm in my feeling on this.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on January 16th, 2010, 8:20 pm

Case in point.... the good old fabric basket. :) The same technique is used to weave rugs and actual wall hangings too.

And another classic example... the palm tree place-mat verses the fabric place-mat. Again, same technique, one uses 'reeds' or in this case palm and the other one uses strips of fabric.

palm tree

and Fabric one...

I'll add more images as I find them.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Akuaysun on January 16th, 2010, 8:48 pm

Those are all very nice pictures Goss, and I can see where you are coming from, I am however not so sure you understand where I am. When I refer to textiles and fabrics I am referencing the construction of the fabric those baskets are made of, not the materials that the baskets themselves are made of. Sure you could substitute cloth for organic compounds but to make the cloth is a completely different process then what is being used to actually weave various items.

Also I put in my write up that glue use is frowned upon, I knew that one and made sure to include it. Gluing does happen at less experienced levels and it is a way to help beginners to keep from scrapping an entire project which is why I placed it there… so that hopefully people learning the skill would place mistakes into their RP and have to work with various ways of fixing it.

If you really don’t like the way I have wrote the skill up though, and think that it is to wrong for the site. Then it can be scrapped, I only have about three hours into this so I’m not going to lose sleep over it. I see the skills being split, especially in a post apocalyptic world where technology was advanced and then reset. I would rather just let it die then argue about our standpoints for the next week. I’m no weaver so perhaps its better I leave it up to those with more experience.

Akuaysun
Leth's Lost Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 23rd, 2010, 7:10 pm

Thanks for working on this. I see your issues, but again we don't want players to have to learn multiple types of weaving that should be all gathered into one nice big skill : Weaving.

Please see skills like Larceny, Wilderness Survival, etc if this is somewhat confusing. I can understand how you'd not agree and want to write up something VERY specific, but I do not want to limit those people that want to have an all-encompassing weaving skill. I do not think it should limit a pc to one thing (you stated you wanted to have a weaver yourself) or force them to have to weave fabric if they only want to work with reeds. If your PC wants to specialize in reed weaving, then that's certainly fine. However, for the official wiki writeup we should really have all things in there like we've done with other skills.

If you'd rather pull your article than expand it, that's your prerogative and I respect that. However, there was also someone - and right now I can't remember who since its been a few days - that mentioned volunteering in chat to help expand this to other forms of weaving if you want someone to assist with it.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes