Ropes, Rigs and Fishermen Sails [open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Trios on August 19th, 2011, 5:02 pm

“Hahahaha life’s a twisted whore ain’t it? From the looks of you I’d say I was on the sea for some twenty odd years before you were even born, and I’ll be sailing long after you pass on” Trios laugh was more from the belly now as he gazed up at the mainmast. With the now completed sail tucked under his armpit the Isur walked along boom of the main sail which was a few feet above the deck. The Rigging and ropes were already there so Trios found he didn’t need to focus to much as he weaved the ropes into the proper cringles. The Fishermen didn’t really ask the Isur to install the new sail but Trios still felt that it was just bad business and an insult to the trade if he walked away from a job he could easily do.

“Well you let me know if you find such a thing, I’d bring the keg to toast you on that day” said the Isur sternly as he finished rigging the cringle along the foot, the clew and was now tying in the reefing line. Trios had to admit he found slight admiration to the guy’s grip on his belief though naïve as they were. If Lucius could hold onto that idealism for another thirty years Trios thought he might just toast the man’s life. However now it just seemed like an adult male holding onto the fancy daydreams of his former childhood.

Lowering the gaff of the mainsail down to the boom, Trios repeated the same procedures his hands still fumbling on some of the rope work now and again. Casting a glance at the sky to the setting sun Trios realized he had taken a good half a day longer than a master in the trade could do, but the Isur was charging a lower rate so he figured the time difference was excusable.

Taking a step back to appreciate the work Trios folded his arms as he listened to the soft jingle of the ropes and furled sail against the soft wind. It was a sound that Trios had missed most in the last few years, it was just the small things that one seemed to miss the most more often. Closing his eyes for a moment he could see figures resting atop the railing of the fishing boat. I was just an outline of a woman holding a small infant another tall male figure casually resting his arm around them.

The heat must have been going strait to the head, the Isur rationalized to be seeing such things as he spit upon the new sail for good luck and to drive away evil winds. It was an old habit he’d seen growing up and it just seemed like it would be bad luck to not uphold a tradition like that from long dead men.

Turning back towards the tall human Trios didn’t say much as he gathered up his tools trying to shake the image from his head. Closing the lid to the wooden box of tools, Trios casually began to put on the striped pile of cloths that he had taken off due to the midday heat. The last articles of clothing were Trios’s large leather jacket and cutlass which was tucked into the belt of his pants.

“Well don’t just stand there, we can’t just sit like newborns on a ship that’s not ours…..plus you can buy the first round and entertain me more with your idiocies……just need to find that fishermen currently he owes me some payment now” Growled the Isur jumping off the craft to the dock almost uncaring if Lucius followed him. Trios wanted to get his gold as fast as possible before going to the tavern to drink, eat and sleep off the days work.
THEME
"Look to the gods then look to your hands, if your going to depend on one go with the one that is attached."
Trios
Bow to nothing, live for everything.

Words: 144086
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 1:03 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Lucius Maverick on August 19th, 2011, 11:41 pm

"I'll hold you to your word on the keg part!"
Lucius said as he stretched and smiled.

He looked at the fine work that had made the ship look sparkling new again together with Trios.
The ropes and the sails moving slowly in the vind.
They simply stood there and looked at the accomplished work for a moment before Trios spoke again:

“Well don’t just stand there, we can’t just sit like newborns on a ship that’s not ours…..plus you can buy the first round and entertain me more with your idiocies……just need to find that fishermen currently he owes me some payment now”

Lucius followed the man, when a sudden thought struck him.
"I didn't get paid for my work either!" Lucius said outloud. At first he sounded as if he was desperate, but then the tone of his voice changed to that of a more humorous mood.

"Bwahaha, I'm so stupid, why do i keep making this mistake over and over? I'm supposed to get paid for it!"
Said with a laughter, and laid his hand onto Trios back.

"Let's go find that fisherman, shall we?" He said with a smile.

Lucius thought of the tavern that Trios had mentioned.
"Perhaps i can make some more money there?"
He thought to himself.
He hadn't had a real drink in days afterall.

"Certain things must come into being, or pass away, for they are part of the larger pattern decreed by fate."

-I may or may not have a gnosis mark yet. The thread is yet to be denied or approved.-
Lucius Maverick
The Grand Entertainer

Words: 18901
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2011, 12:36 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Trios on August 20th, 2011, 2:07 am

OCC: I think this is probably the best time to end off this thread. Had a great time within this thread, lemme know if you want me to make a tavern thread to follow this one up with. I'll submit it for grading so no worries.
THEME
"Look to the gods then look to your hands, if your going to depend on one go with the one that is attached."
Trios
Bow to nothing, live for everything.

Words: 144086
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 1:03 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Lucius Maverick on August 20th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Sounds great, thanks for the oppurtunity :)

I'll let you know if i create the tavern thread :)

"Certain things must come into being, or pass away, for they are part of the larger pattern decreed by fate."

-I may or may not have a gnosis mark yet. The thread is yet to be denied or approved.-
Lucius Maverick
The Grand Entertainer

Words: 18901
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2011, 12:36 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Baku on October 28th, 2011, 3:00 am

Thou has written, and thou has completed, so I award thee the following....

Trios
Skills: +1 Singing, +5 Ship Rigging, +2 Rope Weaving, +2 Observation, +5 Rhetoric, +1 Climbing, +3 Mathmatics,

Lore: The Pros an Cons of Rope Weaving, Being Blunt, Drafting Help, Philosophical Rebuttal of Humanity, Prepping a Mainsail, Weaving a Cringle into a Mainsail, Questioning What Work is Enjoyable, A Drink After the Job

Lucius
Skills: +2 Fortune Telling, +5 Observation, +5 Rhetoric, +4 Ship Rigging,

Lore: Entertaining Curiosity, Working the Harbor, Being Drafted to Work, Philosophical Talk of Humanity, The Mainsail of a Ship, What’s Worth Learning, Weaving a Cringle into a Mainsail, Carefree vs. Freedom, A Drink After the Job,

Additional Notes: An interesting interaction. At first glance the character would seem worlds apart, but since violence didn’t ensue strait away, even different people can find common grounds. Keep up the good work you two.

~Not all dreams, are meant to be had.

Baku
Dream Eater

Words: 151190
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2010, 4:28 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous