[The Library] The Dusty Shadows (Eridanus)

Zandelia visits the Library and finds more than a book of interest

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Zandelia on November 20th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Zandelia listened to Eridanus talk of what he knew, his life of bliss cut short by the tearing forces of the Valterrian itself, making Zandelia ever aware that not even the gods and those whom lived with them were completely safe from harm. She had long suspected that the gods had receded from being involved with humanity, and the other mortal species, in a direct manner for the most part due to the risk it posed them. It was an irony to think of in truth, the all powerful beings of existence still not above destruction and damage. The fact that humans could play a part in that had not much entered her mind, but given the legends that surrounded the Valterrian it seemed ever more plausible to her as she mused upon it. Still, she saw the look that came across the face of the Ethaefal, longing mixed with resignation she thought, and found a slip portion of pity for him.

Having your home taken from you is something I know well, though not in a deified way she thought to herself as she turned her attentions back to the books before her and tried to create a silence that was not entirely uncomfortable whilst she thought of something else to say. His past was something that he obviously had no wish to discuss at the current time, his blunt answers all too telling of his guarded tongue. It was very wise of him indeed.

“Interest?!” she scoffed, trying not to seem bitter about her very nature, “this is my life Eridanus, my obsession some might say. A person once told me that knowledge is power, but I realized all too quickly that it is the application of said knowledge, rather than the knowledge itself, that determines ones strength. Especially in this city” she spoke out loud, her words dripping with cynicism and distaste.

Her search had begun many years ago now, her father teaching her a little whilst she was a girl and before he had been killed. What she remembered was mostly learning by observation more than practicality, the mind of a youngster not able to cope with the intricacies of intelligence gathering. She had learnt a little from her several masters also, slave keepers and merchants for the most part. Forced into their beds and kept close by she had noted and heard much of the basics her father would have imparted upon her with less evil means. Then she had freed herself, bloody conflict losing her an eye but forcing her hands into being unbound for good. After that she had been all but placed in servitude once again, though she had not realized it at first, and ‘Grubber’ had used her for his own ends – teaching her much but in the end asking too much of her. She had left his frail Nuit body splintered and broken, dying if not dead. And then had come…nothing. Nothing but a calling, a growing need to ferret out secrets and information. It had merely been an annoyance at first, but it had grown all too quickly.

Some might call it Akajia’s will. My father would have done. As for myself, I cannot tell she thought to herself morosely as she wondered what to say further to the man. Trust, after all, was built from both sides and if she wished to learn of him he would seek to know of her.

“I have lead a troubled life Eridanus, one which I wouldn’t not put others through if I could help it. It made me what I am. Nothing left other than myself and what I can reap for myself. Intelligence gathering gives me leverage over others so that I might protect myself,” she spoke out loud now, letting her thoughts become carefully crafted words laid out before him, “I do not lie and state I would not use others, for if it would be advantageous I would. However, I do not seek to contend with the large players of Sunberth, the gangs. I merely seek to carve out my own little piece for my own” she finished, letting him decide upon just how little she wanted.

“My father would call it Akajia’s will and I suppose it could be, but I cannot ask him about it as he no longer lives upon this plane of existence. I just want what anyone wants Eri-“ she continued, until she looked at the title of the smaller of the four books in greater detail than she had before.

’The Little Book of Misinformation’ by Markus Sansom it read and she felt it fall from her numbed fingers as her world seemed to be bathed in freezing cold water and shock began to set in so that her pause became almost a catatonic stare into the middle distance as memories flashed back through her skull, Eridanus and the library now completely forgotten.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Eridanus on November 21st, 2011, 10:58 am

It was indeed an irony that such powerful beings were exempt from destruction, for it was these very beings that escalated the chain of events that caused the Valterrian, leaving a permanent scar in the world and changing its landscape dramatically. He knew that the gods were not all high and mighty for even they were prone to human weaknesses, and in fact he had heard about how one god was actually a pre-Valterrian mortal who somehow ascended to greatness from underhanded means. The only god he knew who was truly a 'god', in that he fulfilled his role well in complete objectivity was Lhex, the being that all souls have to go to in the end. He was all powerful, and all gods submit to him, but yet he did not abuse this power, unaffected by the petty squabbles between mortals and celestials, simply going about his own business. Eri decided that if all gods were like that there would be no Valterrian.

Zandelia bitterly explained her reasoning behind the need for the book, and Eri found her rationale pretty strong. In fact, her monologue convinced him to take a further look into this topic and he would do so once she left him alone in the musty confines of the library. He had been wrong all the while, thinking that the difficulty lay in the collection of information. Perhaps he was still a newbie while she was in the advanced stages where collecting information was second nature, but he found himself agreeing that it required experience and finesse to see the relevance of all the information gathered, applying them in an optimal way to benefit oneself. It was exceedingly complicated stuff.

She continued ranting about how her life was affected by it all, and a small part of Eri sympathized with her. She had led a hard life, though he remembered that everyone in Sunberth would encounter hardship one way or another. It was just how the city worked. He admired her determination in achieving her goals, and he respected her wisdom in not tangling with the crime syndicates. It was impossible for one person to change the landscape of the anarchistic city, and he learned early on that he had to tolerate the vile ills of the city for he could raise a hand against it if he wished to survive. One person he could handle, but if an entire crime syndicate were to declare war on him there was no mistaking what the conclusion would be. Probably hanging by one of the scaffolds in the gallows or slain in combat.

Zandelia's voice trailed off, and she seemed to be staring blank-faced at a book in front of her. Eri peered over her shoulder to find a book titled 'The Little Book of Misinformation', and he wondered what would cause such a reaction. Was she actually looking for this book? If she was, he would have expected contentment, satisfaction, glee, but not a reaction like this. Glancing down, he found the author "Markus Sansom", but that name did not ring a bell in him.

He was curious alright, but he did not want to disturb her reverie for fear of triggering some sort of unexpected behaviour. It was better she recovered herself for he did not exactly what kind of person she was. The Ethaefal decided to aid his curiosity and he blinked, focusing on the djed in his body to bring the sight to his senses and he focused on the woman's aura to get a glimpse of what she was thinking. He was not even sure if he would be able to read anything, but it would not hurt to try. The aroma of raspberry though with a little metallic taste began to invade his senses as a result of him using his holistic five-senses auristics training by Master Redrux and he frowned, sieving through the little details her aura was giving out, trying to find something, anything that could help him figure out this mystery.

OOCI'll let you decide if Eri discovers anything from her aura or not, and if he did, what he discovers :)
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Zandelia on November 22nd, 2011, 3:49 am

Zandelia was a lost soul, a tattered series of fragmented memories so faded with age and time now that she could not be sure they were entirely accurate. Seeing her father’s name, his words written upon parchment and bound into a book she had never known about, let alone seen, was just too much for her senses for her mind to control. It was flooded with emotion after emotion, strong and crisp in their intensities. First shock crept in, damaging her mental defences so that the ensuing despair and depressive waves could crush them to pieces, leaving her mind raw and throbbing with pained anguish. Her heartbeat skipped several times, bloody and murderous rage coursing through her very veins in the wake of the sadness, anger for what had been lost – taken from her. Having burnt itself to ashen embers the rage left in its place a sense of dislocation, of being alone in a world that she had no right to live in. Shame followed next, irreconcilable and impetuously illogical. As she came to consciousness once more all she could feel was a deep fondness within her heart – the thin line that connected all other feelings.

For my father, and mother. Taken too soon from a child too young to understand why. But I will find out, if it takes me my lifetime. Perhaps this book will help me understand things better, perhaps it has within its pages the secrets they were killed for she thought as she suddenly snapped back into reality and looked around for the lost treasure, seeking to reclaim it immediately.

“Markus…Sansom,” she breathed, stroking the pages almost lovingly as she swore to never let harm come to one of two family legacies that existed, “my father Eridanus, my father. You have handed me a relic beyond all wealth in this world. I owe you too much to even express. I…”she trailed off, merely letting the deeply genuine smile that lit up her features speak for itself as s ingle tear streaked down her right cheek too quickly for her to brush it away unnoticed.

“I will do anything in return, help you steal Brega herself if you need her. I don’t care. I will find the most cunningly hidden idol, kill anyone you wish. Whatever you want, just don’t tell anyone of this book. It is mine by right and I shall not have anyone else seek to take it from me, not even the damned librarians here” she whispered, keeping her voice low but full of animated happiness.

She stroked the cover, brushing the dust away gently and wondering if she should open it right away to begin to devour its interiors. She weighed it up in her mind, her head tilted slightly before making the decision that it was something she would do in private. She had no idea what might be contained within the small tome, nor whether her father would even care if she had possession of it. She did, however, and resigned herself to the long wait until she was back within her tent abode and alone. She could not hide her glee at the prospect of seeing her father’s thoughts, his manner of communicating, upon the pages. It was like a time capsule of her own, an aid in recalling all that she had forgotten in her dour and brutal life. Her enslavement had washed away much of the joys of her early life, but she would use this book as a beacon to light up the darkness. She had no idea as to the fact that it would also test her very sanity to its darkest depths before it was done revealing every secret to her.

Akajia be praised she must have blessed me to leave this secret here and keep it protected until it found its rightful owner she mentally offered up a prayer in the faint hope the goddess would hear her gratitude and take note.

“Tell me what I can do for you Eridanus,” she spoke up once more as she focused her full attention upon the Ethaefal as she slipped her father’s book into the darkest depths of her robes, “I always repay my debts and any interest incurred in full. If I don’t pay this back as soon as possible I’ll be paying interest for the rest of my life” she laughed then, the first truly rich laugh she had heard from her throat in months now.

oocRight, I'm so sorry for taking up the spotlight so far. Thanks for playing along though. Now we get to help your character development. It's only fair :)

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on November 22nd, 2011, 1:39 pm

His mind began to pound as he took in too much information at once, a messy maelstrom of conflicting emotions emanating from Zandelia that he had to close his eyes, massaging his temples at the shock of the sudden migraine. Perhaps he had been overestimated his abilities, and while he felt the strain reduce somewhat as he forcefully cut the flow of djed to his eyes, he slowly tried to digest the information revealed by her aura. Shock, anger, shame, optimism, hopelessness, there were too many emotions and too many thoughts that made it impossible for the fledging Aurist to decipher, and he stored it away for future reference instead.

Zandelia broke the silence, slowly explaining the reason behind her behaviour and as she talked, Eri began to connect the lines between some of the things he picked up from her aura. It was hindsight that was twenty-twenty, and this proved to be the case as what he found out collaborated (logically, at least) with what she said. It meant that whatever he picked up was not very useful, except as proof that she was probably telling the truth, though he had no idea why she would want to lie to him.

She began to tell Eri of her debt to him, her words coming out in a rapid pace, finally with her looking at him for his response. The Ethaefal, understandably, was slightly surprised at this chain of events, and he wondered what kind of luck would put this incident in place. He involuntarily looked up, as if he could see through all the way to the celestial heavens, as if he could see whichever god was overlooking this event. He wondered if a being had arranged this to happen by chance, though of course he would never know if it was pure coincidence or divine intent.

Eri cleared his throat, and he said, "Honestly speaking, I do not really see it as a favour owed, Zandelia. I did not play much part in this, for it was your fortune that you found what you sought. In fact, I am glad that what little I did contributed to this. So really, do not see it as a favour but as a gesture of good-will from a potential friend."

He knew that some people saw favours and what-not as a trading game, but he wondered if this woman would be a worthy ally especially if she saw him in a good light. Her specialization on intelligence would be a boon to him, and in the short time of interaction he did not find it tiresome to talk with her. Her intelligence and wit served her well, and it put her in Eri's good books, unless she deigned to use these talents against him.

"Perhaps we can meet sometime and you can tell me more about your... quest if you see fit," He ended, aware that mortals might see this as a proposition of some sort or a sign of interest. However, he also knew that she would not see it this way due to her harsh upbringing and due to the circumstances Sunberth put them both in. She should be intelligent enough to detect that he was offering more help to her in order to see how much she trusted him in her personal goals and so he would be able to gauge if he could include her in his quest which was the reason why he even came to this anarchistic city really.

OOCNah, I wasn't really complaining about the spotlight on you, really. I'm glad to be able to help develop your character :) I was just worried that I might bore you and so I tried my hardest to provide more flavour to the story. I am the supporting character in your story and my job is to help your character shine :) I suppose we can wrap this up pretty soon :)
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zandelia on November 22nd, 2011, 9:07 pm

Zandelia could not fault the Ethaefal’s reticence, her own usual blanket of constant cautiousness only broken throughout the last few minutes due to dramatic shock crumpling her cynical defences. No, she knew the power that concealing one’s intents gave you and how it could be used against one’s enemies to mislead and redirect their energies – leaving you unscathed and hopefully undetected. He was wary of her and had a right to be at that, having only met her once and spent perhaps a single Bell in her company. She would feel the same in Eridanus’ position, reserved and tentative. Still, she found a small measure or surprise for his words regarding her offer of aid – something few Sunberthians offered but as readily as she had done so, without reservation and in stupidity. He could have asked of her anything at that moment but had instead chosen not to, giving her freedom on non-repayment in that respect.

Curios indeed these Ethaefal if they do not see advantage when it stares them in the face. Or perhaps he seeks to be nice in his own way? Either position he holds is weaker than what he could be right. Yet he does not care. I must seek to learn more about his people. If they’re all like him then they could be of great use indeed she thought to herself as she tilted her head to the side and looked at him with her single working eye.

“Very well, you can have it your way for now. I shall take the book as a blessing from Akajia herself, passed down to me for some unknown reason and for shadowy purposes,” she stated, a small smile creeping upon her lips now, “but you remember my offer. If one such as you can give me as much in a Bell every time I see you it would do well to return the favours, I think” she ended that portion of conversation there, with Eridanus knowing he could still call upon her if he deemed it appropriate.

“Still, I shall be in and out of this place over the coming days, until the end of the fall season at least I would think, so I imagine I would see you many times if you are biding your time in this shadowy crypt of paper. Still, there are worse places” she tailed off, thinking of the dark streets and their thugs, the island the library hunched upon the only real inactive part of Sunberth at night.

It would be a long and dangerous journey home for Zandelia, with much weaving and dodging between the growing shadows. What was dark evening was most probably now full dusk and heading towards the apex of midnight, the hours of true larceny and upheaval. She had some skills in running and hiding, perhaps she would be able to kill the odd cutpurse however her time was growing short if she meant to return to her tent abode this evening. Of course, there was always the option of staying within the walls of the library until morning before setting out during the day. Few would find her and those that did would have to contend with many to get to her first. She took a few moments of thought before she decided that it was probably best to leave. The book under her robes was all but burning a hole into her skin with anticipation of the secrets it may unlock for her eyes alone. She could not have waited until morning if she had tried and risking others hoarding its words was unthinkable to her.

“My quest, I suspect, has not even been revealed to me just yet. Still, I think it is time to go for now. I will leave the other books here and return for them tomorrow. I have a more special case for this night,” she spoke, lightly now and with eagerness to her tones, “until next time Eridanus. May you one day find a way back to your home” she finished, hoping that the words might leave a good impression upon the Ethaefal.

With that she nodded and made her way through the dusty aisles and towards the doorway. As she exited she did not notice the cowled figure watching her passage, standing in the darkest corner of the small square as they were. Should she have seen them she may have formed a recognition in her mind, the way the shoulders stooped, the fact that the clothing all but hung off of a minimally skeletal frame. Should she have been close enough she would even have caught the faint sweet smell of decay. However, she merely carried upon her way and slipped away into the night, leaving the unknown figure to lurch away nodding to themselves.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on November 24th, 2011, 6:09 am

If Zandelia had thought that all Ethaefals were like Eridanus, she could not have been more mistaken, for each fallen child is as different and special as Leth chose them, having personally hand picked each of his chosen before the splitting of the world to fulfil their own unique purpose within the moon god's realm. Eri could see her mind trying to grasp the reality he had presented her with, and it was intriguing to see how she wondered if he had any motives in his offer or if his nature made him this way. He could not fault her really, for growing up in Sunberth would tend to make one mercenary in nature, if one hoped to survive. There was no kindness and mercy in Sunberth, only strength, power and the ability to make deals if one did not have the first two.

"That I will Zandelia, this meeting has been a boon to us both. You for your new-found treasure, and me for the knowledge of this event. Rest assured that this incident will be kept between us both unless you wish otherwise, for I frown upon giving away secrets that are not mine. Do not hesitate to find me should you ever visit this esteemed library again," He said in reply to her offer. He observed that she kept her offer to him even though he had politely declined it earlier, and saw it as a sign of good-will from her as well to maintain some sort of friendship. If he could satisfy himself as to her trustworthiness and loyalty, her guile and wit would no doubt prove her to be an excellent ally and reliable friend.

She ended her speech, the eagerness in her voice evident that spoke volumes of her desire to immediately open her father's book and devour the words held within to her heart's content, and he nodded at her last line to acknowledge her attempt at making a good impression.

"And may you discover yours," He replied. He had not met many ethaefal, but this exchange of greetings and farewell was common to their kind for most of them hoped to return to their true place among the stars. In her case he would not have meant it physically, in the event that she had decided Sunberth to be her true home, but figuratively, in the hope that she would found her true purpose, her true calling in life and to be at ease with herself.

He walked her out of the library, and opened the door for her as she exited the quiet and empty location. He nodded to her again in farewell and he watched her as she left the area, heading into one of the many alleys in Stumble Alley that would lead her to her destination. The ethaefal continued to stand just outside the library's doors, looking up into the constellations, wondering if Leth was watching him.

What is your plan for me, Leth? What are your plans for your fallen children? He thought, as he slowly identified the different stars that glowed brightly in the sky. Like all ethaefal, he had an innate basic understanding of the immortal lights in the sky, and to him they were a sign of optimism that one day he could return to them.

He traced the lines of the different constellations, making an imaginary pattern as he found the one that an old undead wizard was obsessed with long ago, the constellation that was his name-sake, Eridanus. Somehow he felt a sort of belonging with the star, and when he finally found the collection of stars after which he was named for, he grinned, speaking to them silently, "Lost brothers, you and me. One in the sky and one stranded below. I will return to you one day, brother, and seek my true place together with Leth. Until then, keep watching over me and lend me your strength in the fulfilment of my quest."

He had no hallucinations as to what he was saying was real, but it was more of an informal way of him to remind himself of what he was doing, and the ultimate objective behind everything he did. It was easy to get lost in the hustle and bustle of life amongst the mortals, but he was different from them. They sought to immortalize their names and legacy as death ticked ever closer, but to him time was no motivator for, barring flesh wounds, he was immortal. His motivator was his return to the celestial realm, to Ukalas.

Eri felt alone in his quest, for ethaefals were rare and their personal goals differ greatly. Some may want to return, some deciding that Mizahar was better than Ukalas, but all of them disagreed greatly in their preferred paths to exacting their overarching plan. His little talk with his name-sake up in the sky was the little reprieve he got from his loneliness, and it was the tiny solace he got by pretending that the star was listening to him and watching him as he went.

Take care, Zandelia of Sunberth. I do hope that you find your calling, and me mine.

Taking a final glance at the alley where the human woman went into and at his name-sake in the heavens, he turned around and let himself back into the library, closing the doors as he proceeded to a quiet and secluded corner where he could retire peacefully.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Archelon on January 8th, 2012, 1:23 pm

Epilogue:

As Zandelia left, a quick footed woman bumped into her, taking ten gold from her beltpouch without her noticing. Looking oddly through her goggles at the woman, Gemmy cocked her head to the side and spoke, "Oh you like books don't you? Just remember: nothing's free if it leaves the library."

The woman would look back at her and stutter, "What do you mean?"
To which gemmy would simply giggle and reply, "You'll find out. Don't come back for at least a week. No Exceptions dear!'

Humming to herself the little goggle eyed creature would shove Zandelia out the doorway; leaving her in the streets of stumble alley before locking the door in her face. Turning towards Eridanus; the library matron would shove a broom and a dustpan into his hands a moment before waspishly uttering an order for him to clean up a little; as well as a small warning to stop bringing strange women into her library...that people would get the wrong ideas. He was a guest, not a resident and shouldn't let people stay after hours or take books. If he wished to show people around the library as a guest librarian; then that was fine. To further prove the point she would then proceed to smack him once upside his horned head with a book to send him reeling to the floor.

"If you wish to let someone steal a book from these shelves then understand; you will also be penalized for your abuse of our generousity."Reaching down the woman would extract ten gold mizas from the stunned eth's coin purse and went to place them in a large glass jar. "Of course if you curse or break the rules again... the money in this jar will grow. If you don't like the rules in my library: then Leave."

Without further explanation or warning, Gemmy would skip behind her desk and flop back in her favorite chair. Reading the next good book. Her eyes would wander up towards the second level where another shadow waited in the darkness. Lotharia Bloodrunner's shadow looking from Eridanus to the door. A slight shake of Gemmy's head would instill a bit of pause, enough for the rather dangerous woman to remove her hand from her blade's hilt and slink back into the shadows.

The Ethfael would learn quickly, or soon be learning the hard way of how the library was run when people upset its proper balance. The entire time Zandelia had been within these walls; the two had been watched...

Thread Award

"..."

And the Results!!!!:

Zandelia :
SkillName 1-5 How/why?
Observation2
Rhetoric1 Insults
Seduction1
Auristics1
Interrogation1
Investigation1
Reading1

Lores:
The Library(basic)
Ethfael(basic)

Item:
The Little Book of Misinformation (Family heirloom - 3gm worth intrinsic value

Ledger notes- -10 gm for library theft.

Eridanus :
SkillName 1-5 How/why?
Meditation2
Flux1
Stealth1
Auristics1
Interrogation1
Organization1

Lores:

Ledger notes- -10 gm for library theft.

Wounds- 2 hour headache from book bashing upside the horned head...

Note 1: Gemmy's ire is growing >.>.

Would you like some extra turtle sauce ? :
interesting thread.(any questions comments concerns- please feel free to pm me a nice pm) :)
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous