[Flashback]Everlasting?(Rayage)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Soveth on January 23rd, 2012, 7:55 am

Spring 3 456

Soveth awoke in an alley, his dog Max sat there obediently, he had been watching his master sleep, curled up back against the building behind him clutching his father's notebook against his chest. Life just wasn't the same without his parents, he could no longer attend school as he had no parents to pay for it, he enjoyed learning, but as of now he had no real means to make any coin. He had been begging here and there for scraps of food for him and his dog which kept them going, if that's what one would call it, it was a miserable existence for the young man, the only thing left of his parents was his father's notebook. Which itself was coded, he knew the code, but it still somewhat wracked his brain when he tried translating it in his mind, he'd managed to beg a few coins off a tourist a few days prior, so he bought himself some ink. However he didn't dare defile his father's book by writing translations within the book itself, so he'd have to wait until he could afford some paper to transcribe it. He dreamed of maybe one day affording his own notebook, instead of single sheets of paper to him it just seemed inefficient.

He opened up the book and read over again what he'd already memorized, he lightly dipped his finger into his ink bottle and drew a circle on the ground, very carefully he did this, as he did not was to throw off the balance of his spell. He drew another circle within that circle with only a slightly smaller diameter than the outer one again, he took his time very carefully and slowly drawing the shape. Finally he finished it and he took a deep breath and wiped the sweat from his forehead, his father left him knowledge he wasn't about to waste. After taking a few more soothing breaths he drew a vertical line connected the top of the inner circle with the bottom of it, a straight line was nearly as painstaking. He then drew a horizontal line connecting the right of the inner circle to the left of it, next was by far the most time consuming and delicate parts of the process. He dipped the tip of his finger again, and attempted to draw sixteen circles around the perimeter of the inner circle, evenly distanced from eachother in an attempt to keep his summoning circle as symetrical as possible.

He started the easy way, drawing a small circle at the intersections of his vertical line with the inner circle, he made sure that it was perfectly round, this discipline of magic was very precise and mistakes could be deadly in a worst case scenario as the beginning of his father's notebook said. He then drew a circle at the bottom of his vertical line and drew his two circles on both left and right sides of his horizontal one, he did the process this way because he was inexperienced, unlike his father. He then drew circles the best he could precisely in the middle between each set of circles, his neck was beginning to hurt from looking down at the ground with such intense concentration. He lifted his head up, he had eight more of these miniature circles to draw before he completed the most basic of summoning circles, he rolled his head around his shoulders and several pops made it feel less stressed, he drew his next four circles one in the top right, then one on the top left, staying as symmetrical as possible. His next two circles were drawn slowly on the bottom left and bottom right.

Finally he added his last four, middle upper left, his finger was cramping, middle upper right, he was happy to be almost finished, middle lower left, middle lower right. He took another deep breath adding the final circle on the intersection of his two straight lines, wiping away sweat once again, he filled each circle on the inner circle with a numeric glyph, as best as he could anyway, drawing with your finger wasn't exactly the best way to go about being precise. He placed a trigger glyph within the circle in the center, if his portal grew unstable, the glyph would instantly close it, or so he hoped, another deep breath was taken as he summoned a very miniscule amount of res from his hand. It always made the hair on the back of his neck stand up when expelling res from his body, it granted him a temporary euphoric feeling, like the tickle in your stomach falling at a fast rate. He'd only recently been able to keep himself from shivering from the sensation. He concentrated willing his res into a very slender pointed shape, it was in a gaseous state at this point. He focused his mind condensing the gas, squeezing it onto itself as hard as he could and after a few moments it solidified. Next was transmutation, he imagined his res becoming stone as he willed it to become compacted minerals. He could hear a slight grinding sound as bit by bit the res became stone, his reimancy wasn't great, but making a needle out of rock wasn't all that difficult of a task(i'd think?). He pricked his finger with the stone needle and touched the outer circle he'd drawn originally, there was a faint wooshing sound as the circle grew black and the center began to swirl. An odd light flashed, but only for a moment, the portal petered out, it wasn't the glyph's doing, obviously he'd done something wrong, and now his circle was gone, he'd have to make another one "Shyke!
Soveth
Player

Words: 4614
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2011, 7:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Rayage on January 23rd, 2012, 10:25 am

There wasn’t anything too interesting about today, no, not at all. The nuit had not been in the city for very long, but this place that had been interesting from the start had a way of losing its luster, its shine. No, not the city itself, but the whole idea of it, though time marched on, and as it did it could only bring about change. It was fun to observe the effects of time, for it was directly related to change. If there was no time there would be no change, just… well, the beginning and the end would happen at once, along with nothing. Nothing. Nothing, that was the stagnant force that opposed change, and Ray was in a constant battle with this nothing. He wouldn’t let inaction win and time slow to a halt because nothing changed. Aging, he has found out, was a necessary part of change. Humans, and all the other creatures in this world, are affected by this concept called aging. It is the constant changer, bringing old age and then, eventually death, only to start the cycle anew in another life. Change… that is the driving force of the world, and sometimes, Ray believed that change doesn’t happen often enough. Why not give it a little push, a nudge in a more helpful direction? That was his job, his reason for being; he was an agent of change.

Potential, that one word had many meaning and is as diverse as beauty is, for it is in the eye of the beholder. The same could be said for potential. It was all a matter of judging someone worthy or not, and the nuit did not know what he saw in this, well, boy, but it was something good. A spark. A light. Even when asleep. Rayage had been watching him for some time now. At first glance he seemed like a nobody, but upon closer inspection he had a story, and a talent that the nuit, for all his life experience, could not put his finger. Perhaps it was because he enjoyed puzzles and figuring things out is why he stayed, or maybe it was curiosity to see if his hunch was true about the lone beggar boy. The dog was ever by the boys side. Unusual.

It takes one to know one. Oh how that could not be any truer than it was right now. Magic only breeds magic, but sometimes something more, a great magician perhaps. Those who practiced magic had a distinct aura about them, a feeling that they were, as Ray would call it, awake. To anyone who practiced a personal magic the patterns of Djed in an area could be felt, but it took a special art, which goes by the name of Auristics, to truly read the ‘magic in the air’. Could this boy be a wizard? If so… A smile came to his face as he realized the ways he could swindle or use the child before him. He would have a nice little talk with the boy when he woke up. Though, for now, he would watch, observe, and wait for the right moment. Taking a step back deeper into the alley he would wait for the boy to regain consciousness.

Watching, the thought nagged at his mind. The suspicion that this boy could be a wizard, this gut instinct told him to check, and so he tried to calm his mind he tried to rid it of all thought. He had to make sure this kid was special, or at least possesses some magical talent. Doing his best to calm himself and clear his mind, only a thought or two coming in, the subtle distractions of the world now realized in previously unnoticed sounds or mental whispers. Nonetheless he battled the voices, he battled the outside sounds, and he battled himself, in both the inner and outer worlds and won. His mind, after a quite some time of trying was now clear, calm. He opened his eyes and felt the Djed rush into them, he was going to use Auristics for it was the only sure fire way to know. The Djed made him feel a sense of power, and of un-proportional importance. Soon the aura was visible to him, glowing around the sleeping boy’s body. It told stories, whispered secrets that only an Auristic mage could hear, see, and read. Though most of the information was above his level, he continued to try to decipher the smoky aura of the kid. Only basic facts could be glimpsed. He was in a high emotional state and had been for a while… That rang of death. Yes, death and loss was on the aura. Though he was concentrating as hard as he could that is the only thing he could glimmer from the aura. That and it was slightly larger than a regular person. This kid must possess some kind of power… A tall tell sign of a mage. His suspicions were correct. Closing his eyes, but even then the aura could still be felt; it wasn’t until he severed the Djed flow that the aura faded from his perception. Giving out a sigh, it always was rough letting of a spell, to stop using something that made one feel so empowered.

It wasn’t a long wait though, no, not at all. The boy would stir and wait and sit there for a moment clenching a book. Then there would be movement… Yes, movement. The kid was doing something with ink. Spying the circle his smile grew ever larger as he watched the kid work. He was right. The kid was a mage, and more importantly… Seeing the needle of earth appear out of a translucent substance, the kid had an ability that he has yet to possess. Staying out of the boys radar he watched, and it seemed that the circle, which was reminiscent of a summoning circle, was going to work. Hearing the boy curse the nuit decided that this was enough hiding.

Clapping his hands to announce his presence, ”Good try, nice show, but, as they say, failure is failure. Also, boys shouldnt use language like that.” Stepping closer to him making a 'tsk tsk' noise. Smiling, ”You don’t have to worry about me, I won’t hurt you.” he said, his voice and words filled with the poison and infectious Djed. The words he spoke would turn into a subconscious suggestion, the mage trying to bore that last message into his mind. He wouldn’t hurt him. Oh how nice it felt to use such a power, he needed practice, why not conduct a field study? ”It seems you have had a loss recently.” he said, trying to sound both mysterious and trustworthy at the same time. A hard combination to pull off, ”If it helps, you have my condolences.” he said as if he knew the kid personally. The mage quickly sending a slight emotional response into the boy, a calming yet sad feeling, but again, it was only a suggestion, and it would fit the mood of the nuits tone.

”It also looks like you are in a bind.” he said looking around the alley and seeing the kid looking dirty, ”I can help you.” he suggested shrugging as if this offer was nothing, ”You see, I can help you because you have talent.” he pointed out, ”And I like talent.” he grinned, ”It would be such a same, he put emphasis on the word ‘shame’, ”To lose a boy like you to the streets...” he said pausing letting the kid make his own connections. The nuit wouldn’t flinch of the dog started barking or bearing its teeth at him. It would be almost like he was used to it.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Soveth on January 23rd, 2012, 11:36 am

Soveth sat back against the wall and reached out, scratching his dog on the head, he swatted some flies out of his face and his companion came to him and nuzzled himself against his chest. He embraced his pet, the only part of his family that he had left, he'd had max since he was a puppy ”Good try, nice show, but, as they say, failure is failure. Also, boys shouldnt use language like that”. Soveth looked up at him and was about to tell the man that he was not his father when Ray said ”You don’t have to worry about me, I won’t hurt you". His dog had sensed his displeasure with the man's statement and had begun to growl, but as the suggestion was implanted into his mind he became calm, so did max. Who was this man, speaking to him so freely, it wasn't common place for one to just strike up a conversation with a bum for no reason, he wondered what was going on "It seems you have had a loss recently, if it helps, you have my condolences" has this guy been stalking him? he'd been out on the street for only 2 weeks and he'd never met this guy before in his entire life, infact, he'd never met a creature such as this.

"It also looks like you're in a bind, i can help you" this perked Soveth's interest quite quickly, this man told him he had talent, something his father would tell him as well, the end of his statement though sent chills down his spine. If he said no, did this man intend to kill him? he felt frightened, him and max both looked at eachother and Max whimpered and pouted at Soveth, almost as if to say "it's best to do what he says." Soveth stood up in a submissive manner, looking down at the ground, his head hanging low "What exactly is it that you need my talents for?" he held out the needle he'd made earlier "You can't be talking about this...are you? Do you really consider this talent? I know my portal was nothing impressive, it didn't even open". He stuffed his hands into his pockets in a defensive manner he'd heard of human trafficking before, was that going to be his fate? to become someone else's property? he felt a pain in his chest, it was as if he could literally feel his heart breaking, life had kicked him in the groin so hard already, was it really going to double dip on him?
Soveth
Player

Character sheet

Postby Rayage on January 24th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Oh there was nothing more amusing to him than seeing the reaction of some boy who couldn’t think past tomorrow. That won’t do, no. Watching and observing a slight smile would break on his lips as he looked at the dog, annoying thing, which had reacted to his presence by growling. He was used to it though and turned his attention back to the kid. Yes, and if, for some reason, he was wrong about the kids talents it wouldn’t be much of a stretch to say do a little alchemy on him. Yes, he nodded to himself that is what he would do if the kid was a disappointment.

Then the boy started asking questions of his own, oh yes, how blind the kid is to possibilities, to the future change. That wont do at all. Ray let out a small chuckle at the words, and when the kid was done yapping he took his turn, ”My dear boy,” for some reason those words did not sound entirely sincere, ”I don’t need your talents for making a needle of stone when a knife would do just as well.” he told him, ”and I in fact don’t consider that talent. Any moron could devise a way to create such a thing, but the way you did was… highly interesting. I do not see talent in you now, I see potential. Talent, and the skills that you could have, is forthcoming, they haven’t matured or blossomed yet. You see?”

He tried to stop himself from ranting by asking that question, a small attempt at getting the boy to actually think about his words. Staying where he was he continued, ”Talent and skill are not for the here and now, but for the future. Those who cannot see past tomorrow, yet alone today, are blind. I see the possibilities, and what you have made, along with your rudimentary skills in summoning, yes I know what that circle is, are very promising. You hold promise, and that is why I am here today.” He informed him.

”Don’t misjudge me, I am not a slaver of any sort and you can come with me of your own free will or stay here on the streets.” he said, ”But here is my offer, my offer to you,” he corrected himself. He did not want the kid to think he just offered this to just anyone, ”I, Rayage,” he said his name, ”Would like to take you off the streets.” he nodded, liking the sound of the idea, ”and take you with me in my travels so we can hone, together, that talent of yours.” he pointed at the boy, ”Ill provide for you, feed you, clothe you, but” he raised a finger, ”all I ask for in return is your honesty and obedience. You will be my apprentice.” he let his hand fall to his side once more, his gaze never breaking from the kid, ”Your dog is free to come too.” he quickly added another clause to the unwritten agreement that he was crafting.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Soveth on January 25th, 2012, 3:24 am

My dear boy, I don't need your talents for making a needle of stone when i knife qould do just as well, and i infact don't consider that talent. Any moron could devise a way to create suchh a thing, but the the way you did was... highly interesting. I do not see talent in you now, i see potential."

The words rang in his ears, he wasn't sure if Ray was criticising him or complimenting him, or both.

"Talent, and the skills that you could hace, is forthcoming, they haven't matured or blossomed yet. You see?".

Soveth knodded his head and his defensive body language now subsided.

"Talent and skill are not for the here and now, but for the future. Those who cannot see past tomorrow, yet alone today, are blind."

The boy shivered at the statement, it was eerily similar to something his father used to tell him after scolding him for not thinking about his actions.

"I see the possibilities, and what you have made, along with your rudimentary skills in summoning"

Soveth cocked an eyebrow, summoning was a rare art these days, or so his father told him and before he could ask

Yes i know what that circle is, are very promising. You hold promise, and that is why i am here today. Don't misjudge me, i am not a slaber of any sort and you can come with me of your own free will or stay here on the streets."

This man didn't pull any punches, he was right afterall, he'd come to see the streets as his new home even though he hated to admit it.

"But here is my offer, my offer to you. I Ragage would like to take you off the street"

His heart nearly jumped out of his chest, was this guy for real? this man would give him a new home? it was too good to be true, and his father had told him if an offer sounded too good to be true it probably was, he gulped a bit, listening intently to the Nuit.

and take you with me in my travels so we can hone, together, that talent of yours, i'll provide for you, feed you, clothe you"

Now it was definately sounding too good to be true.

"But"

There was the word he was looking for Oh boy, i wonder what he wants out of me he thought.

"All i ask for in return is your honesty and obedience. You will be my apprentice. Your dog is free to come too."

He cocked his eyebrow, when he said obedience, he wasn't quite sure what that entailed until he'd finished his sentence.

"You want me to be your apprentice? that's all? what kind of apprentice if i may ask?"

He was quite curious now, being someone's apprentice meant he'd be learning alot, which was one of his favorite passtimes, gaining knowledge was one of the most important things you could do. This did not come from his father, however his father did tell him that, it was something he himself believed. A smile formed on his face and Max seemed happy as well, looking at the boy goofily with his tongue hanging out of his mouth. Max barked and got up on his haunches vigorously licking Soveth's face, he began laughing, his companion know his ticklish spots quite well

"Hahaha, ok, ok!" he said pushing the dog off of him.

He turned to Rayage, and reached out to shake his hand, however he pulled it back warily, he didn't want to get his hand dirty "It's a deal...may i ask, what exactly are you? and what is that smell? Please do not take offense, if you are sick, i apologize"
Soveth
Player

Character sheet