[The Bronze Wood] Nudist Cat? (Sturlin)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Fherasoone on April 23rd, 2010, 3:21 am

She sat there for a moment, her mind wandering a bit as the jerky was tossed into her lap. This made her look up at the man, who had already gone ahead to eat his portion of the meal before acting a few chores, hanging a tea pot over the open flame. She watched the flames, her eyes glowing from the light as it flickered and danced. After a second, she took the jerky that had been laying in her lap and bit into it. The jerky had little flavor to it, but she accepted it happily with her need to eat. Suddenly, the man spoke up, "Fhera it is then. You have arleady met Mr. Pickles." This made her turn towards the man, preparing to try and speak once more before she was stopped, "Do not try to speak yet, this tea should help soothe your throat. Then you can tell me exactly what it is you are doing out here."

Fhera nodded with a smile. She felt very happy that the man went through such lengths for her, and happier knowing their were so many people like this in the world. Finally, she finished the last bit of her jerky, not feeling too much pain as she ate it. At the last bite, she stared at the man, in curiosity. She then looked away, but scooted closer to where he was sitting, as if not wanting to be seen doing such. However, the shifting of the leaves and fact that the shadows were shifting as she did made it quiet obvious.
If you're not here to kill me...
Then will you be my friend?
Fherasoone
Player

Words: 31223
Joined roleplay: April 19th, 2010, 2:54 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Sturlin on April 23rd, 2010, 3:29 am

When she started scooting toward him he glanced at her, but made no comment. If he saw her reaching toward any of his possessions his mood would change. At the moment he just didn't want to hear her croak and struggle to talk to him. He pulled out a pan in which he could cook their dinner, sighing softly. It would be a good day when he was finally able to eat a decent meal again.

Soon the pot of water began to boil, and he pulled it down to fill it with the leaves he had set aside. As it steeped he moved the pan over the flames and began making a simple and mostly tasteless gravy. It had salt, and some wild onion that he had rooted through the forest for the day before. It was shaping up to be thick, but edible.

Stirring the gravy, watching the guest, and petting the cat took up his time for the next few minutes. When it was done he retrieved a pair of plates and placed two toughened biscuits on each, covering them with the gravy and handing one to Fhera. Hopefully the gravy would soften them enough for a fork to pierce them. Once she had her utensils he poured them each a cup of tea and began to eat in silence.

The key to power is focus

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

The key to peace is power
Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Words: 133806
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 5:19 am
Blog: View Blog (13)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Fherasoone on April 23rd, 2010, 2:31 pm

She watched the man continue working with a smile on her face. She wasn't sure why he continually looked towards her, but she also didn't mind it thinking up a number of possible reasons. She continued to sit there, no longer shifting, and instead simply watched him continue cooking over the flame. Within the next minute, the man gave her a plate that had two bricks on it covered in flavorless glop. She stabbed one of the brick like biscuits gently, hoping it would go through, but to no avail. Before the man could notice this, she placed the fork back down quietly hoping not to offend him.

He then served her a tea, a few fragments of the leaves floating in it. With a small sip, she tested the tea, finding it's flavor to be disatisfying. Once more however, she tried hiding this, quickly smiling. The man began eating, so she also had to try, grabbing her fork once more, and poking at the biscuit. Several attempts finaly made the fork go through, the gravy having settled into the biscuit at long last. Lifting the biscuit with her fork, she bit at it, finding it was going to be difficult once more. After finally getting a piece to break off of it, she chewed it with that usual smile of hers, starting to think of her meal like a game of try and eat this.

Though it took her a while, she was finally able to get one of the biscuits down, which got her to grab the tea and take another drink of it. The tea helped plenty, the warmth soothing her throat. With a smile she continued her game by eating the other biscuit and finishing the last of her tea. Gently, she touched her throat, making another sound. This time it was much gentler, the pain having gone nearly completely, "Ahh...hmm..." she began, pondering for a minute after realizing her throat was better, "Thank you...I'm sorry if I was much trouble." she said, her soft voice finally returning with no hint of the previous pains.

She thought to herself for a second before remembering the man's question about why she was out here. "I'm...actually out here because of my own stupidity." she began, recalling the events. "I was in the market place... um... Syliras... but something interesting caught my eyes. Mr. Pickles. I never saw a naked cat before, so I went after him when he started running around. I know it was stupid, but before I knew it, I had run out here...and then some creature was calling out...and it scared me...so I tried hiding." Though she was a girl from the town, she seemed unusually calm about telling the story, and being out here in general.

Once she stopped speaking, her eyes then turned towards the man, still glowing by the flames light, "Would you mind telling me your name...? I'de call you Mister... but your cat already took that name." she said in an attempt to joke a bit. She then realized what she had said and was quick to look down, unsure how he would take the joke.
Fherasoone
Player

Character sheet

Postby Sturlin on April 23rd, 2010, 4:18 pm

Eating the food was just as difficult for him as it was for her, though the taste did not bother him as much as it used to. Whenever she glanced at him during the meal she would notice that he expressed the same distaste in the food that she felt. He had to eat though, and so he cleaned his plate of food and sat it on the ground. The man had to sip his tea carefully. If he got in a hurry while drinking out of a cup, liquid would dribble out of his mouth and down the scars on his chin.

As she told him her story he listened without comment. It was extremely foolish for her to just leave the city without protection and wander out into the wilds like this. Her words about an animal call made him remember the new scar on his thigh, his hand moving to rub it absently through his leathers. Perhaps her calm nature was bravado, but more likely it was naivety. People who did not understand what it felt like to be attacked were rarely as concerned about it as those who had experienced the sensations before.

"My name is Sturlin," he replied when she had finished. If he found her joke amusing he did not show it. She did not know this, but his face never seemed to register humor when others joked about his cat. When he had finished his tea he spoke again, "And your family? Do they live in Syliras?"

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Fherasoone on April 23rd, 2010, 4:53 pm

She sat there for a minute, thinking about his question of her family. She wasn't sure how exactly she should answer it and remained silent for a little while. Finally she started up, "Actually. My mom and dad died, but..." she paused, thinking about those she had met in Syliras, "some people took me in. They took care of me in an orphanage." She sat there quietly for a minute, holding onto her fur cloak with some concern. "It's getting late..." she said her smile slowly starting to disappear. Her head was swamped with thoughts, concerned by how much trouble she was going to be in.

Suddenly, she scooted a bit closer to Sturlin like before. Once, twice, and then finally, she was easily in arms reach. After this however, she did not move, and instead peeked up at Sturlin just barely, then quickly looked back down. Her actions were a bit strange, as though she were wanting to do something, but didn't have the heart to do it. It didn't seem like she wanted to cause any harm either, but then again possibilities always remained.
Fherasoone
Player

Character sheet

Postby Sturlin on April 23rd, 2010, 5:04 pm

"Orphanage," he said with an unpleasant look on his face. He uttered the word with such distaste. More like cages than homes. Not that he cared. She could get eaten up in the forest as far as he was concerned. At least he tried to convince himself of this as he poured them each a second cup of tea. Perhaps he should invest in some sugar. Some sugar would improve this tea immensely.

"It is getting late. You had run far from the city by the time I found you. We are about two days leisurely walk from Syliras. The trip can be made in one day by a woodsman who knows the trails. You will stay here tonight, until I decide what to do with you in the morning. Do not wander away from the camp. There are monsters."

As she scooted closer to him he gave her a suspicious look. When he began to suspect what she was looking for an uncomfortable expression formed on his face. It looked like it was half-way between a sneer and a grimace. With a heavy sigh he reached out with his left hand and rested his scarred arm around her shoulders to comfort her. "Do not worry. You're safe here, at least."

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Fherasoone on April 23rd, 2010, 5:18 pm

She didn't like the idea of monsters, which made her shudder a bit. Even worse was how far she had run. Had she really ran two days worth in what seemed to be so short a time? At the very least, she had a place to stay here. Still, the idea of being so far away made her sad, worried over what was to come. Suddenly she felt warmth again. The feeling of someone else nearby, Sturlin, resting his arm over her as he spoke, "Do not worry. You're safe here, at least." This made her smile, and then shudder again, her urges once more commanding her to action.

Quickly, she lept at Sturlin, throwing arms around him in an embrace, but at a speed that made him fall back a bit, "Thank You." Fhera said with the continued quiet voice. This was the second time that she had embraced Sturlin, but this time felt like she wasn't going to let go. It was now even more apparent that she was a very physical, very affectionate girl, who was quick to bond with people. This may go hand in hand with Kelvic nature, having a strong desire to connect with others.
Fherasoone
Player

Character sheet

Postby Sturlin on April 23rd, 2010, 5:28 pm

As his uncle Kardeg had once done for him as a child, he patted her on the back awkwardly and suffered the hug with as much dignity as he could manage. He allowed her to hug him for quite awhile, until the fire began to die down, and then he gripped her firmly and pried at her until she was no longer on him. "The firewood," he said as he pointed to the nearby pile, "Fetch some more and put it in the pit.

Turning his attention toward their dirty dishes he sprinkled a spare amount of water on them to rinse them off with his hands, and then rubbed the last remaining bits of food from their surface with dirt. He could wash them properly in the stream, but he did not wish to walk out there immediately. Not with a child in tow. No longer at night.

With an extremely uncomfortable realization, he found himself trying to figure out where she was going to sleep. He most certainly would not want her sleeping in his tent. It just wasn't going to happen, and that was final. Mr. Pickles looked from Sturlin to the girl, and then back again. "It's just not going to happen Mr. Pickles, so you can forget about it."

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Fherasoone on April 23rd, 2010, 5:42 pm

As she was told to put more firewood in the pit, she did, walking towards the pile of wood. She knelt down, picking up a two pieces, and headed towards the pit stumbling a little but quickly regaining her balance. Slowly, she placed one log in, then another, trying not to drop them out of worry that it might make some embers get knocked out. She then backed away from the flame, and watched Sturlin wipe the plates with bits of dirt. This confused her a bit, never having seen someone clean a plate like that.

Slowly, she made her way back, hearing him speak to his cat, then wondering what he was talking about. After she got just a few feet from him, she stopped, standing there with her long hair flowing down, eyes sparkling ever so lightly from the flickering light around the area coming from the flame. With both hands clasped together as if pleadingly, she spoke, her voice now even softer, holding some concern in it's tone, "Excuse me Sturlin...Is something wrong?" she asked, the light from the flames now showing off more of the delicate features of her form, even with the fur cloak still wrapped around her.
Fherasoone
Player

Character sheet

Postby Sturlin on April 23rd, 2010, 5:52 pm

One last time he looked from the cat to the girl. He had been double-crossed, that was it. The little ball of pink skin had brought this girl here to annoy him, and was loving every minute of it. Alright, he thought, maybe she could sleep in his tent. But he drew the line at cuddling. There would be absolutely no cuddling. He grumped a bit as he said, "No, nothing is wrong. How long have you been at this orphanage?" Changing the subject was always a good idea, even if it was not done very skillfully.

As she responded he went to adjust the stones around the fire, making himself appear busy. It was a good idea to check your fire pit often. Especially if you planned on going to sleep with a fire going. For two yards in every direction the ground was clear and smoothed. The stones were stacked six to seven inches high, and the pit was dug almost two feet deep. It was unlikely that an accident would befall the camp. Still, he knew this before he began inspecting it. He just did not want to let the child try to snuggle.

The key to focus is calm

The key to calm is peace

Sturlin
The Great Pretender

Character sheet