To form a Band (STikka, Keane, Semaj)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Stikka al'Tyne on April 27th, 2010, 4:18 am

25th Day of Spring, 510 AV

The square wasn’t big for Syliras, more of a widening of an intersection. It was, however, located at in the middle of a small but popular shopping district and thus received quite a bit of foot traffic. It was the bustle that originally drew Stikka to this particular square. He hoped to supplement with tips the meager earnings that he made while working for the Dancing Badger at night. The early spring morning was nearing its tenth bell as Stikka stood looking up at the statue of some long dead Sylirian Knight that dominated the center of the square. Not many people paid him any mind at first, just another man taking a rest from his shopping, if a brightly dressed one. Stikka lay his quarterstaff down beside the statue’s base, along with a wooden pail Mister Dale had let him borrow. From a case secured to one of is brace of belts Stikka produced his flute. He pressed the instrument to his lips and worked his way through a series of warm up notes.

Is brief warm up complete, Stikka launched into a jaunty little tune called ‘The Trail’. Stikka had never heard any words for the song, but it was a quick, happy, tune and one he thought might get him some attention. And indeed it did, passerby slowed in their brisk walk as they heard Stikka’s flute above the hubbub of the busy market street. Stikka, his eyes closed and foot tapping along with the rhythm was oblivious to this. As often happened, he lost himself within the music. The song tapered to its end to a polite smattering of applause as people walked by. Stikka acknowledge the appreciation by launching directly into another song, this one was a ballad called ‘The Four Winds’ and though Stikka knew the words, he was unable to sing them while playing the flute. What I need, thought Stikka as he played, is some accompaniment.
Stikka al'Tyne
The Peaceful Pirate

Words: 15843
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2010, 12:46 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Keane on April 27th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Keane looked at the shopkeeper and grumbled something. He was trying to buy a new fiddle. His old one was broken thanks to an incident when wine was flowing. Keane was hesitant to buy this. It was 50gm, which was a lot of money in his eyes. He only had 100gm in all. After some thought, Keane handed the man a bag of gold mizzas. He needed this fiddle. If he didn't have one, he wouldn't make money. Sure it costed a lot of money, but without it he would surely run out. The shopkeeper counted up the money and handed him the fiddle. Keane rested his hands on the fiddle. It was a fine one, similar to the one he used to have.

Keane walked through Sylrias and looked for a nice place where he could test it. He made his way through the crowd, one in every while someone gave him a smile. Most gave him one glance, and got back to their buisness. After a few minutes, he saw a familiar statue of a Sylirian knight. He smiled and stared at the statue. There was always something herioc and inspiring about Sylirian knights. As he looked he heard the sound of a flute. He saw a human in bright clothing playing his flute. He was playing a nice song he recognized and knew "The Four Winds". Keane smiled and looked at his fiddle and thought this may a good as time as ever. He put the fiddle in the proper posistion, and held the bow in the other hand and began to play. He didn't sound great, he was a little off beat and every once in a while he would mess up a note but it wasn't ear bleeding bad. He looked at this flute player and smiled.
Keane
A Wandering Minstrel

Words: 2639
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2010, 2:20 am
Character sheet

Postby Semaj Yelkeew on April 28th, 2010, 12:54 am

NoteI found a guitar player for us, if you want. He's using a Zith, so it'd make for interesting RPing. Let me know, and I'll tell him.

Walking nearby, a short man in full scale-mail kept his eyes forward as he made his way through the main city. His full suit of armor, along with the Widowmaker, allowed him to walk a clear path through the city grounds, as no one wanted to pick a fight with an Isur who seemed to be able to take on a group of Myrians and a Dhani or two. With these thoughts in passer-by minds, they didn't seem to notice the pipa or the pack that were both slung across his back. The Isur was looking for work, perhaps as a guard for a caravan moving out to another city, or playing at an inn with his pipa, and singing. But so far, he had had no luck.

He was passing a statue of a Sylirian Knight, when he heard a flute playing, and then a fiddle joining in. He listened for a minute, but didn't recognize the song. So, turning towards the sound, the warrior made his way towards the source, people stepping out of his way, fearful of the fierce look on his face. When he reached the source of the music, he stopped and listened for a minute, memorizing the tune. And then he stepped forwards, placed his axe on the ground next to the flute player, slid his pack off, and took his pipa in both hands, before sitting and listening once more. After a bit more listening, the Isur leaned over his pipa and joined the two already playing, his own music not quite as good as the fiddle players, but not annoying to the ears. He glanced at the flute player and cocked an eyebrow. He enjoyed music, but singing much more. His expression offered the flute player a chance to stop, and sing.
Semaj Yelkeew
Warrior/Bard

Words: 4569
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2010, 1:36 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Longfellow on April 29th, 2010, 10:32 am

After parting with Emory and the Syliran Knight, Longfellow wandered the city a bit, looking for a house where he could stay at for the 100 mizas he had left. The homeless musician was out of luck. In spring time many foreigners come and those who wish to stay are very quick to find a house that is for sale or rent. He decided to try the main square in hope of find an advertisment for a rent. Immediately after arriving he was splashed by a sea of people going on in their everyday business. He was not fond of crowds and it showed. The house in the quiet street he was at was a perfect place for him to rest and study music.

"Music?" He seemed to have heard a tune. "Seems it's coming from from the statue. Well, nothing better to do. Lets check it out."

What he heard was a sort of a folkish tune, very unlike the music he studies. This wasn't very bound to certain techniques or a firm form, but more like a simple expression of feelings and fun. Although this was against his teachings, he loved it quite a lot. Looking around, the people were very much enjoying the show the three put out. Even the knights patroling the square were a bit taken by the rhythm. Then it struck him. "A music to create a bond between races and countries, eh?" The goal he wanted to achieve since he was a child seemed to have gained a clearer shape.

"Perhaps... If I study this music aswell, I could find out how and why this touches people and apply it to my own knowledge. To create structure out of no structure, to create the sublime out of the plain. Yes... That's it!"

But two things prevented him from approaching the three after they finished playing the song. One of them was the fact that the instrument he plays is the harpischord, an instrument mostly used to play for the rich and one that at first doesn't seem to fit in a group such as this. He was also still homeless and with no place to go and that is a burden that is too big. He feared a firm rejection.
Longfellow
An aspiring musician

Words: 3265
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2010, 9:52 pm
Character sheet

Postby Stikka al'Tyne on May 3rd, 2010, 7:15 am

Stikka’s flute merrily trilled out the first chorus of “The Four Winds”, blind to the man joining him at the statue’s base. As he began the second verse another sound filtered through the air, startling Stikka and causing his flute to squawk a flat note. Stikka opened his eyes and saw a short man sawing on a fiddle next to him. Unable to play the flute and talk at the same time Stikka merely nodded to the fiddler to let him know he was welcome. Stikka matched his pace to that of the fiddle and played a duet with his new companion. It wasn’t long before the space underneath the Knight’s visage became more crowded still. Stikka noticed the heavily armored individual as he placed his ax beside Stikka’s own quarterstaff, and began playing a stringed instrument Stikka was unfamiliar with. The man, Stikka realized he was an Isur, didn’t seem to know “The Four winds” but the sounds of his instrument offered a nice counter melody to the flute and fiddle. Stikka gave him a welcoming nod as well

Stikka let the notes trail off as the song reached its conclusion. He noticed belatedly that he and his two fellows had attracted quite a crowd of on lookers, among them he notices an unkempt man with long hair. He casually waved his flute at them, acknowledging the applause. Turning to his fellow musicians he offered them each his hand in turn. “Stikka al’Tyne,” He offered, “I’m pleased to see there are other musically minded people strolling this city. Would you both like to play another? Maybe a tune that all of us know?” Stikka hoped that they would agree, three players were bound to attract more coin than what just he himself was capable of.
Stikka al'Tyne
The Peaceful Pirate

Words: 15843
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2010, 12:46 pm
Character sheet

Postby Keane on May 3rd, 2010, 10:54 pm

Keane noticed as the man fumbled a bit as Keane joined. He made an apologetic shrugg during a rest. Keane kept focusing on palying as a man in armor came. Keane stopped and barely played as he saw this man come by, lay his axe next to the other man's quarter staff an started to play a pipa. He was stunned for a moments until he remembered he was playing for a crowd instead of practicing. He quickly went back to playing on his fiddle. Keane loved playing songs for crowds. He loved attention. He never did deny this. He considered this more of a character trait. The song turned out great as the three played. The crowd seemed to becoming larger and larger with every line.

Keane looked at the crowd and bowed and started blowing kisses at them. He was being a bit of a show off, but he was like that. Keane looked Stikka as he introduced him and put his hand. Keane shook it and said "I'm Keane Varick, wandering bard, profesinal ministrel etc." Keane took a tiny bow after saying this. "May I suggest the balled of Selora? It's a lovely song about two people falling in love. I know Cheva would enjoy this tune." Keane loved talking about music. He always liked meeting someone of the same proffesion he was. There was always so much to discuss.
Keane
A Wandering Minstrel

Words: 2639
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2010, 2:20 am
Character sheet

Postby Semaj Yelkeew on May 4th, 2010, 12:08 am

The Isur followed along with the flute and fiddle player, and, when the song was finished, lowered his own instrument to rest it on the ground as he took Stikka's offered hand. "Pleasure to meet you, Stikka, and you as well, Keane. I am Semaj Yelkeew, warrior musician. I was quite pleased to notice a flute and fiddle player here. Always a good sound when coupled with my own instrument," he stated, patting his pipa lightly. His armor could damage it if he weren't careful. "And, if you wish to continue playing, I agree. It would be nice to do something that doesn't involve covering myself in blood," the Isur said, as he settled himself once more, his pipa ready to play.

"I do believe I know that song," the Isur replied, staring at Keane. "But I cannot sing it. That Ballard has always escaped my voice. It does not sound well when coming from my lips. But I can play it rather well with my pipa."
Semaj Yelkeew
Warrior/Bard

Words: 4569
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2010, 1:36 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet