Hello and a few questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Postby Philomena on December 29th, 2012, 4:20 am

Hello all! I haven't played a game like this for several years, so it will be great fun to get back into it (I hope anyway!). I'm really excited, the world you've all built her is so marvelously intricate and active.

I was curious, I had a question about the character I'm developing. I have a character I'm developing who is a professor at the University, and I'm wondering how to determine what of her skills would be lores versus skills. Her skills are largely academic, and we don't have a lot listed in those areas in the skill list I saw, so I' wondering if this is because we would consider those things lores? If so, I'm concerned, because a professor would have lore knowledge of varying degrees in a number of different areas, if that makes sense? So, IRL, for example, a professor of Medieval Literature would probably have these lores:

Medieval Literature
Medieval Folklore
Medieval History
Poetic Forms
History of the English LAnguage

Then skills something like this:

Research
Writing
Teaching

Right? OR not? Anyway, I'll take my best guess, for now, but if you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Philomena
Player

Words: 718931
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2012, 3:40 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Daydream on December 29th, 2012, 5:38 am

Welcome to Mizahar, Philomena! I am Daydream, one of the Junior Storytellers of Kalea.

Lores are bits of knowledge that cannot be added to. For example, the layout of a building or how to train on a beach!

Skills however, are unlimited to anything. Many skills are not listed on the skill list therefore the skills are not limited to just those skills listed. For example, the skill Tactics is not found here but has been awarded to Septimus and can be found being awarded to her here.

For starters for a professor, I would definitely choose teaching as a skill along with other skills relating to the subject in which she is teaching. After all, how can you teach what you have not yet practiced yourself to demonstrate? :)

Also, if my knowledge is correct a player cannot start out a professor with the limited amount of skill points. Skills would need to be worked on through threads to gain knowledge appropriate for a teacher at a University. Also, if you haven't already, it would need to be something discussed with your local storyteller or a founder.

With that being said, I would recommend, since your skills can be a minimum of 5, starting out with whatever skills you deem necessary to begin training. You have to work your way up and then do research and learn from others more skills. If it wasn't like that, everyone would start out with a set of skills and get jobs to earn money. Hard work does pay off in the end.

If you have any questions regarding anything, please do not just guess about things and go with it. Please ask any storyteller or founder for further guidance to prevent confusion in the end and help sum up any future troubles! This also ensures that you're playing correctly! Thank you and welcome to Mizahar! :D Hope you enjoy your stay!

~Daydream
Daydream

Postby Philomena on December 29th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Thank you so much! I wrote to one of the moderators or my home cut, today. Thnk you o much!
Philomena
Player

Words: 718931
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2012, 3:40 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Daydream on December 29th, 2012, 3:12 pm

No problem at all! It's what I'm here for!

If you need anything let me know. :)

~Daydream
Daydream