Flashback [Inner Warrens] The storm rages on

Vira continues looking for safety in the warrens when she discovers her mother

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[Inner Warrens] The storm rages on

Postby Lavira on November 21st, 2013, 4:12 am

Timestamp: Spring 1, 512

With the hatchling in her arms, Vira began the walk through the corridor, trying not to listen to the world ending. It was absolute chaos. Those like her that had been caught out of somewhere sheltered were experiencing hell on Mizahar. The mountain quivered all around them and where it did not quake, it spewed noxious fumes and in some cases lava, heat funneling horribly through the warrens to cut or kill people off. For Vira, she was trying to reach others beyond where the hatchling had appeared, but the obstacles before her made that nearly impossible.

In front of the sixteen year old lay a minefield of steam and fallen rocks and bodies. From one wall spilled a steady flow of red but did not boil and steam like other water sources inside the city. Among the minefield, the young woman was able to notice some people moving, very few of them uninjured. The smell of spoilt eggs and blood was nauseating and the dust irritated her eyes and nose, making her snort and sneeze and the hatchling squirm uncomfortably in her arms. “Hey, easy now girly, you’re okay. We just need to get to the other side of this.”

Taking a deep breath to steady her nerves, Vira stepped forth into the chaos. Smoke clogged her sinuses until she was forced to breathe through her mouth, drawing the ash and dust motes deeper into her lungs and leaving her wondering if she would have to see the healers when it was over. The hatchling clearly did not like this and began to squirm even more in her arms. “Ah, easy!” She cried out, struggling with the young bird until it had had all it was going to take and wriggled its way out of her grip entirely.

The eaglet landed hard on the ground and then took off waddling and running the way they had come, away from where Vira wanted to go. “Petch, come on now, we need to get you back to somewhere safe! There’s no way out that way!” She cried out, but the chick heard none of it, fleeing back down the tunnel in the awkward gait of a young bird. The youth let out a great sigh and rubbed her hand through her messed up hair, head shaking. “Well…I need to get to somewhere more safe than here…” With a sigh, she turned back to the tunnel and continued up the corridor.

All around her, the cries of the injured and sometimes dying could be heard, but for all that her heart went out to them, the teen had no skills with which to help. She had to get to somewhere safe; maybe they would have someone who could help. When ash began to deaden the light, Vira backed back out to a clearer spot and bent to tear some of her bryda off from a rip that had already been made. The soft material had lost some of its silkiness and was now caked in mud and water and more ash.

With this piece which she had torn free, the teen covered her mouth, knotting it behind her head to create something she could more effectively breathe through. Only then did she move forward into the ash cloud, squinting against the burning grit that irritated her working and dead eye both. She put her hand against the wall, the heat from it making her nervous that a lava vent had worked its way through this part and might burst through at any point. The oft unpredictable nature of Skyinarta was well known to its residents.

She pushed through the cloud and finally emerged on the other side, coughing violently and even bending over to gag, emptying the light breakfast she’d had onto the ground. It spilled out across the stone in a bile-rich spray that evaporated almost as quickly in the thick and nauseating heat. When she was sure she would not keel over, she slowly straightened, holding her head and groaning. About that moment, she heard a faint groan down and ahead of her, someone it sounded that was near rubble. But the tunnel was dark and hard to see in.

“Hello?” She called, concerned. The voice had sounded faintly familiar and she worried that it might be someone she knew. “If you can hear me, groan again!”

That sounded stupid…groan again? Really?

Yet, it must have worked because up ahead, the groan came once more, but louder. The young woman hurried ahead, panting from the low oxygen content of the tunnel and stumbling when her shoes caught against a stone. She caught herself, however, before falling and laughed a weak, relieved laugh only to turn and trip again. This time, the young woman fell hard on her face, nose breaking and fresh blood gushing down her face. “Aah!” She cried out in pain, rolling and holding her nose.

Red life poured out and around her impeding fingers as if in rebellion of their attempted enclosure, mocking her in the course it marched down her face. “Ffff, oowwww.” She groaned, sitting up but continuing to pinch her nose. But it was another groan that answered her in the dimness and Vira paused in her own misery to look around, frowning and sputtering a bit when the blood pooled in her mouth. She turned her head and spat, jumping when she realized she’d spat right into the face of the one who’d been groaning.
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Words: 596082
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lavira on November 21st, 2013, 4:13 am

“Ah! I am so sorry!” She said, though her voice came out kind of funny no thanks to her broken nose.

The figure was an older woman with dark black hair and silver streaks. Her face was pale with faint freckles and high cheekbones. The pretty green eyes with golden rings that looked back at her had a strange familiarity about them but the teen could not have put her finger on it. She could only make out some of the woman’s body but only because the rest of it had been buried in rubble. The pretty eyes that looked at her were filled with pain but a surprised kind of joy Vira had not expected to see. It was as if the other saw something in the teenager before her.

And then it hit her. The eyes, the long-fingered hands, the ebony hair: it was Attina. She was an Avora falconer who helped in the Aviary from time to time to train new birds. Vira had always looked up to the woman, yet always feared going to the Aviary for a single reason. Attina was more than just a Falconer. Attina was her mother.

“Oh mom…” She whispered, crouching down close to the woman and sliding her hand inside of the others and squeezing it. Vira wiped her nose on her shoulder, brow knit as she got as close to the others head as she could. “Mom what happened?” She whispered, her free hand brushing her hair off the others forehead.

The woman coughed, a glob of clotted blood spilling out and onto the stones between them. She tried to speak but her voice was weak and hoarse. What she did manage to say, though, pulled at the girls’ heart. “Lavira, I never thought we’d meet again.” She coughed again, moaning when the rocks atop her shifted. The Chiet looked dreadfully at the weight that pressed her into the ground.

Releasing Attina’s hand, Vira tried to moved debris from off of her. “Shh, it’s alright, I’ll get you out of here, don’t worry!” But the woman just shook her head and coughed again, reaching for the teenagers hand. “Mom, please don’t talk, everything will be alright, I promise, I’ll get you out, okay? Just hang on.” She reached for more rocks but Attina stopped her.

“No…just sit with me.” It pained her to do so, but the bloody faced teen did as she was told, holding the others hand and rubbing the back of it with her thumb. “You know…you always made us proud and we were so heartbroken when we hea-“ she coughed, more blood spilling from her lips.

“Mom, please don’t talk, I’m here, okay? It’s going to be alright, I promise.”

“Lavira, do you re…*coughcough*…remember the song we used to sing? *cough cough cough*”.

“I…I think so. The one about Kalea?”

“Mm…”

“Dad sang it all the time, I remember that.”

“Why don’t you sing it now?”

“Mom, I can’t sing…”

“Of course you can.”

“Mom you’re going to be okay, you’ll pull through this and we’ll walk out together and just forget about all of this. I bet I can get Valintar Kaden to let me into the Aviary to work with you!”

“Just sing, sweetheart…you have such a pretty voice.”

“Oh mom…”

Vira realized she was crying then, wiping tears from her eyes with one hand as she leaned against the rubble, holding Attina’s hand in her lap and gently stroking her hair.

“With wings o’en wide and skies unbound
I seek the wind yet seen.
Awaiting Syna’s light to come
W’ere morning has begun.

And here I am calling
From where I belong
Kalea, I am home.
When Leth has gone and morn’ has come
Kalea, I am home”

She only had the courage to sing the first verse and chorus as she watched the older woman who had watched her from afar as she grew through her Yasi years and then left her wanting when the accident came. But it was unnatural for such to abandon their posts at a child’s need. This was Wind Reach and only the strong survived.

Vira let the words fade into a soft hum as she felt Attina’s grip beginning to lighten, her single eye lowering to the sight of the silver-streaked hair in the darkness. “I wish I could have made it, mom…I wish that I could have made it up so you would be proud. So you and dad could both be proud…” She sniffled, watching when the woman rolled her head towards her and smiled a smile of strange and wonderful peace.

“Proud? My little dove, I have always been proud of you…thank you for the song, sweetheart…it was very beautiful…I can feel Her coming now…I love you, Lavira. Be strong and be brave; your heart is too bright to be tempered by grief.” It was a long speech, one that took much out of the dying woman. This was evidenced by the sudden coughing spasm she went through, tightening her hold on Vira’s hand before releasing her entirely and exhaling long and slow her final breath.

“Mom?” Vira whispered, leaning over the woman, her cheek against her brow. “…Mom?” But she would not answer. She had gone from this world now, leaving only her mortal shell behind. While the Chiet’s nose still bled some, they did not leak as much as her eyes now did as she pressed a kiss to the Avora’s brow, sniffing until her nose was sore. She felt miserable and exhausted, and still the storm raged!

“I will try to find dad and tell him…I love you, mom.” She then released her hand, wiping at her eyes as she got back to her feet, aware that the ash had begun to dissipate now. It made breathing easier, though still a challenge. Attina had given her the pretty thunder bay eagle feather she usually wore but which, oddly enough, was in her dorm in the Darniva common rooms today. It made her feel a little naked, yet if she’d had it with her during this the chance of it becoming ruined would have been high. For that, considering the experience just endured, she was glad she had not worn it.

With a heavy heart, Vira continued down the tunnel, wiping more tears from her eyes as she stumbled on, trying not to let her grief pain her too much. She had to get to safety for now and the distraction of her dearly departed matron could not be afforded. She had said her farewells and they had hurt, but Vira was glad she had seen her mother again one last time..
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lavira on November 22nd, 2013, 7:35 pm

Leaving the debris-riddled tunnel behind, the young Chiet continued onward, her thoughts drifting somewhere between dismay at all the destruction and relief that she had not seen much in the way of death yet excluding the one where her mother now lay half-buried and gone from the world of the living.

It took another ten chimes before she came to a bend and found her way blocked by one of the massive birds. It stood glaring in at the folk it had cordoned off, yet to notice herself and a few other stragglers that wanted entry. It was a mute sentinel, trying not to be drawn by the chaos outside where its brethren flew and were at times obliterated. One such bird lay on the floor nearby, its feathers having turned to stone and its once liquid gold eyes to topaz. The wild djed had mutated it like it had the glue-feather one so severely that it had fallen from the sky and shattered through the tunnel it had struck.

A few of the people were trying to negotiate with the bird to let the stragglers in, but it remained steadfast, unwilling to yield. This Eagle was going to move for no man. The stragglers would have to find another place to shelter. Vira continued on, hurrying when rain began to pour into the tunnel.

Her hastened steps soon brought her to the kitchens were more Inarta had gathered. Many of the faces were yasi, here for breakfast before the storm struck and now caught with those that had came here seeking refuge, too. There weren't many seats available, but there was some space against one wall where some Avora and Dek were settled. She was not altogether surprised to see the look of disdain on the Avora's faces and the glow of relief that they could rest (albeit in fear of something worse) for the time being. Vira went to this cluster and sunk heavily to the floor, her blood and dirt stained hands hanging between her legs as she raised her knees up.

She didn't think she could feel this tired, to be honest. And yet, there she sat with others from all castes and ages, hoping and waiting for the storm to abate. When would that be? None of them could know; they only waited with baited breath and drawn brows for the storm to end.

--------------------

It would rage for bells, sometimes causing the entire mountain to shake so violently, those standing around the kitchens were thrown to the ground. Other times, it would seem so quiet that the Inarta were sure things had ended and some would seek to venture outside, only to return with eyes wide and pupils dilated, blinded by the awfulness of it. Those that went out and did not come back dumbstruck spoke of hai on Mizahar. Pools of liquid djed lay all around, sometimes lingering, sometimes being drawn back up into the storm to be dropped like a bomb elsewhere. Mountain-tops were shorn off as if a blade had sliced through them. Whole swaths of taiga forest were flattened in the northern reaches, leaving bare rock behind.

Some would talk about the strange affects the magic was having on the wind eagles they had seen, others on the peculiar new name of a god they had never before entertained. Everything about the storm was both intense and terrifying and none knew what to do but remain in the kitchens and hunker, hoping it would end soon.
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Skerry on December 24th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Grades

Lavira

Skill XP
Observation 3
Singing 2

LORES :
  • Making a mask to breathe in dusty places
  • Attina: mother
  • Mother’s last request
  • Death of mother

Notes:
A sad conclusion to the last thread. The death of her mother was fairly detached though I suppose that makes sense seeing as they wouldn’t have had that much contact for awhile.

Remember if you have any questions or problems with your grade then feel free to PM me.

Skerry
The Volatile One

Words: 121644
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook