Solo Training day's

First day of training. It ain't easy being the rookie.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Training day's

Postby Voss on January 19th, 2014, 5:25 pm

28th of winter

Voss jogged towards the waveguard headquarters, Syna was rising, the weather wasn't really cold and today he would be a recruit of the waveguard. 'Yeah, today's going to be a great day.' He thought to himself as he slowed when he arrived at the headquarters of the guard. He walked towards the small training ground at the back. He gave a rather dissapointed look when he was there, not for the equipment, half of it he didn't know what he did and it didn't look that bad. But for the few people there were there. He counted four fellow recruits, all wearing different outfits. One or two he would have betted his wage on it that they were sailors just like him. One guy was a weedy guy that looked more at home behind a desk and the third guy looked more like an peacock that was trying to impress a lass then a guard. Probably a rich kid.

he thought to himself as he walked towards them and gave them a wave. “Name's Voss. Joined up yesterday. Is this everybody?”

The weedy guy nodded. “Yep, sometimes a few of the guardsmen join us, but most of the time it's just us. I'm notas, this is chetia,Draen and.” He managed too introduce the two sailors, who gave him a smile and a nod in reply. But before he could introduce the peacock he was interuppted.

“Thank you Notas, but I'm fully capable of introducing myself. My name is Idrian.” Voss easily saw the annoyance on the two sailors while notas just rolled his eyes. Mouthing 'just humor him.' too him while the peacock wasn't looking at him. The other's extended their hands in greeting. And voss gave them all a quick shake.

“So where is the instructor?” voss asked.

“Our instructor isn't here yet, he usually is late.” the posh one once spoke up. “I wonder why they keep him on, some of my old instructors could easily subdue him..”

“Oh shut up, it isn't that late yet. He has other duties then training us as well. Maybe paperwork. ” Chetia cut of the ranting of the peacock. Something voss was gratefull for. “He's here.” He pointed behind him, where an older man rounded the corner.

“Ah you're voss right? Kelvin told me we had a new one. You said you didn't have any experience at all with fighting right?” Voss nodded.

"Haven't even been in a bar brawl in me life."

Much to the delight of the teacher. “good good, then we can start with a blank slate. I'm Elric longwave nice meeting ya.” He offered a hand, which voss eagerly shook. “Lets get started then? I heard Idrian moan about me being late from all over to the main office.”

That remark was received with an irritated huff and some snickers from the other recruits.
“Allright, everybody run five laps around the building to warm yourself up, after that you guy's spar for a moment with each other while I give Voss here a crash course on the basics. Got that.” Voss nodded a movement he knew the rest was also doing.

“Then get going.” He gestured and walked towards some chests.

Voss followed the others at a jog and it didn't take long before his pride got a hit as not only did Notas managed to easily stay ahead of him without much of a visible effort. But even the bloody peacock managed too double him. When he finally finished his laps he didn't know wither he was red from the exertion or just from embarrassment.

He sauntered over to the group. The teacher was standing inf ront of them and there were straw mats covering a large part of the training grounds. Eric gave him a quick lookover. “For a first timer that isn't that bad of a time. You don't look to winded either. Lets get going then.” He beconed him over. Voss walked over to the mats. They were a fair bit away from the others who had split of and were practicing unarmed combat against each other. He winced in sympathy when the peacock threw one of the sailors to the ground. It seemed that fop had some teeth.

“Right, basics of unarmed combat, we aren't going to cover anything else then blocking, punching and maybe kicking today. No throws or counters. That'll just confuse ya now.” Voss was pulled back to the lesson. “Here is how it works, punching is pretty easy, just follow my example. Don't just use your arm, but put your entire body in it.” He demonstrated and voss tried to copy as good as he could, lean on frontal leg, twist the torso and throw out the arm.

“That's decent enough for a first try. Lets drill that into ya.” He held up his hands. “Just punch into me hands, repetition is key to get things like this down. We can teach your aim a bit as well.” Voss didn't even think of questioning the man. The others were taught by him and they seemed to be decent enough. So he did what the man told him too.
Last edited by Voss on January 26th, 2014, 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voss
Player

Words: 30285
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2013, 5:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Training day's

Postby Voss on January 19th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Frustration was mounting, hitting the hands wasn't really much of a challenge, they were close and he wasn't moving them. But hitting them while doing it in the way he had been told was a whole other task. Every other punch the man had to correct something and if he kept his mind on doing the entire punch correct he sometimes missed the hands. Much too his own embarrasment.

Syna had raised in the sky and Eric finally put down his hands. “Why not let this sink in for a bit while we teach you how to block before sending you up against one of the others in a sparring match? A fight teaches a lot more then just hitting hands. That alright with ya?”

“Yeah, sure.” He was a bit taken aback at the fact he got a say in what he got to do. “Why you're asking though. Shouldn't you know how to teach me?”

“People learn better when they wanna learn. Just dull repetition ain't good for everybody. You don't seem like that kind of person that would like it either.” He simply explained.
“Now as for blocking, I better show you. But whatever you do, never block with your hands, always use your forearms. They're the hardest part of your body, easy to shield them with gauntlets as well.” He took a stance. “Now voss, try and get a punch in on me. Don't worry I'll just block now.”

Voss went over the things of how to throw a decent punch onece more, mimicking out the moves before throwing a punch with everything he got at Eric. Only for him to get out of the way of the punch. “first rule of blocking, don't block if you don't have to. Dodge and directly go for the counterattack. Again if you want.” that was a rule that made sense, voss once again went through the motions quickly before throwing another punch. This time he quickly deflected it with his forearms. “Second rule is, never take the punch head on with your forearms. Deflect it otherwise it still hurts like hell. Think you got em or do I need to repeat them?”

“I'm not senile old man.” voss shot back with a grin. “I can remember things for longer then a few moments.”

Eric let out a small laugh, “lets see how well you remembered them then.” He said before lashing out with a punch.” Voss knew immediately that it was deliberately slowed down, to let him get the hang of it first. As even he easily managed to bump it away with his forearm.

“That was a punch you could have easily dodged away from. You didn't remember rule one it seems.”

“Petch.” Voss cursed as it sunk in.

Eric just let out a laugh. “Don't sweat it, it's the first time you're fighting. It takes some practice to know when to duck and when you need to block the blow. Let go again.” Voss nodded and readied himself. Determined to do better this time.
Voss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Training day's

Postby Voss on January 23rd, 2014, 5:53 pm

A bell later voss' arms felt sore. The fact he had been taking way to many hits on them probably was the reason they felt like tenderized meat. Even though Eric had been holding back they still packed a lot of punch.

“Hurts doesn't it? Don't worry though, you'll get used to the abuse your arms and legs are getting with practice.”

“Practice, practice. That's a word you like it seems.”
Voss mutteres under his breath as he rubbed his abused arms.

The teacher just laughed. “Only thing that gives result with everything. So we did punching and blocking. All that's left before I'll throw you in with the others is kicking.”

“Kicking? I thought they didn't do, that, I haven't seen any of them kick while they were practicing.” Voss said as he pointed towards the other trainees.

“Oh they do, they just don't kick higher then the knee of their opponent. Ain't that obvious when you don't watch them for a long stretch at a time. It's more something to get them off balance so you can get a good punch in then anything else.” Now that was something that voss didn't understand. He was pretty sure that a kick hurt a lot more then a punch.

“But the legs are a lot stronger then the arm's. Wouldn't it hurt a lot more if you kicked somebody in the teeth then punching somebody in the teeth?”

Eric nodded. “you're right on that. But why don't you try kicking me. It's the same principle as a punch, twist your body with the kick.” He demonstrated it. “You'll get what I mean after that.”

voss got ready, slowly went through the movement once or twice, wobbeling a bit as he did the movements, much to his frustration. He then kicked at eric's midsection. The man took a quick step out of the way and grabbed him by the ankle, give his leg a firm yank. “Whoa..” voss yelped out as eh fell on the straw mat.
“Okay, I get your point.”

“I told you you would.” Eric said with a laugh. “Never kick higher then the knee's of your opponent . Only showoffs do that and they usually learn their lesson sooner then later.” Eric offered a helping hand to voss.

Voss grabbed the hand and was pulled back on his feet. “Any other rules you want me to know?”

Eric Shrugged. “Not ones that you can be told. Or ones that aren't common sense.” He slapped voss on the back. “lets get you sparring with one fo the others for now. Put what you learned to the test. a single spar before lunch will be good. We've been at this for a while without a break already.” Eric looked over towards the other recruits.

“Oi, Chetia, idrian has been kicking your ass for a while now. Want to have a go with the new recruit?” Chetia looked up from the ground. Still groaning after Posh one had thrown her to the ground.

“yeah sure. Might polish up my ego a bit.” She got back on her feet and walked over. Eric looked towards voss. “Just remember what I told you and try not to lose to horribly. She doesn't go easy on anybody.” He advised.

Voss looked towards his opponent. She stood over him and was well muscled, unlike him she already knew what to do in a fight. “Petch, this is gonna hurt isn't it.” He muttered to himself as he readied himself to give her at least a fight.
Voss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Training day's

Postby Voss on January 25th, 2014, 1:42 pm

At it turned out, it was indeed going to hurt. As soon as he had said that, eric motioned that they were allowed to begin and Chetia didn't waste any time. She dashed towards him and kicked low at his shins. He grunted in pain and wobbled from the hit. 'Petch, fast!' He took a step back and tried to steady himself. But he didn't get the time to react. Chetia punched him square in the stomach. Before he could even finish doubling over in pain he was thrown to the ground.

“That was fast.” He heard eric mumble as he stepped closer. Voss wasn't sure if he was talkign about chetia or him getting his ass kicked. Chetia offered him a hand to get back. Which voss gratefully took.

“I wasn't ready okay.” He gave a half hearted reply, knowing that it wouldn't be a valid excuse.

“Pirates won't kindly wait till you're ready before they attack. It's a good tactic to take your chances and take your opponent down when he isn't ready. Only thing you can do against it is to keep your guard up when on duty and always be on the lookout. That lesson will be beaten into ya by the end of basic training.” he said with a laugh, slapping him on the shoulder. Right on one of voss' bruises.

“I'll keep that in mind.” Voss groaned.

“Lets have a break now. Get something to eat and get some rest. Might take a break from combat training for the rest of the day and focus on other skills. You guy's are beaten up.” Eric said as he whistled loudly, catching the attention of the others. “Oi! Break time. Lets go inside and get some grub and rest up a bit!” That was recieved with quite a bit off cheer. Voss walked up to the group and got inside. His muscles ached a bit and he was qutie bruised. But all in all, this wasn't a bad session. He just hoped they had enough grub around for lunch.
Voss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Training day's

Postby Xira Hezmek on April 11th, 2014, 12:18 am

Voss :
Skills Amount
Running +2
Observation +2
Socialization +3
Endurance +2
Body Building +1
Unarmed Combat +4
Tactics +2

Lore
Idrian: Vain like a peacock
Notas: A bookish fellow
Draen : A fellow sailor
Chetia: Never goes easy on anyone
Elric Longwave: Instructor
Learning by doing is far easier
Unarmed combat: Basics of Unarmed Combat
Unarmed combat: How to Throw a Punch
Unarmed combat: How to Block
Unarmed combat: How to Dodge
Unarmed combat: How to Kick
Unarmed combat: Dodge when you can block
Unarmed Combat: Deflect when possible
Unarmed Combat: Kick low to off balance an opponent
Unarmed Combat: Always be on guard

Additional Comments: Notes: Please state which season and year your seasonal expenses are from. In the future please be very careful with your grammar and punctuation. Other than that, good job, lots of lores to be had!

Please edit your post in the grade request thread to say "graded".

Did I forget a lore or skill? Did I make a mistake? Any questions or concerns feel free to PM me :)
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)