Fit for Pearls

Minnie takes Fallon on as a research assistant

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Fit for Pearls

Postby Philomena on February 27th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Minnie listened to the girl's response, and tried to offer her own response to it, but found herself tongue-tied - not that the girl had missed her point, precisely, as that Minnie herself was not sure how to understand her own thoughts she had been trying to communicate. It made her think of Lanie, in a way, Lanie who'd been like a whole world, auto herself, but then, that world had wanted to... or she thought it had. Had wanted to be wrapped up tightly in someone else's arms. Minnie herself felt that desire, then, the thoughts refracting and redirecting themselves through her own brain - how wonderful to be wrapped up, to be smothered and safe inside someone else. She had a sudden overpowering desire to read, to curl into her chair at home, in a warm blanket, and read.

The thoughts made her feel cold, though there was no real reason - the summer night had brought the soft chill of a sea-wind, but the chill was pleasant, or should have been, after the stuffy heat of the tavern. It ran across her arms and carried the sweat from her. But she wrapped her arms together under her chest, and hunched her shoulders like one caught in a bone snapper. And all at the same time, she said nothing - had, in fact, forgotten that she was to respond.

This did not last of course, for she suddenly remembered her companion, and started, stumbling out, "Oh, oh, I, I... you are..." she shook her head, "You're very clever, Miss... " she could not remember the girl's last name of a sudden, and the sentence ended rather falsely.

"Have you ever... ever thought of writing? You could... I..."

The little edge of need crept into her voice, a kind of hope, that did not creep far enough rom the words to make clear its direction.
x
Philomena
Player

Words: 718931
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2012, 3:40 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Fit for Pearls

Postby Fallon on March 2nd, 2015, 2:18 pm

Fallon blinked, her head cocking to one side as she found herself tiptoeing around the conversation once more. Her brow creased, watching the reaction as if she had shivered suddenly. Was it the shade? Was it the heat from the sun? Was there something wrong altogether? Ill perhaps? The girl scratched at her face, eyes blinking as she tried to piece together what was said and found instead only little more than words to hold onto.

"I'm not clever," she sounded disappointed then, her gaze snapping away. Defensive almost on the subject, "I know stuff, but I'm not learn'ed like you Zeltivan folk. Books are nice and all, but..." She sighed then, the scars upon her back twitching angrily, the thoughts and mistakes throbbing loudly in her skull - intense and suffocating - her fist gave a small tremble as she forced her form to try and stand tall, "No, the clever are experienced and don't make mistakes - they know a bad deal when they see it. They know. They know... "

She shook her head, pushing the conversation to one side mentally as she gathered herself and her thoughts together. What was the woman implying at, what was she getting at? She flickered through their past few conversations, those fleeting moments between student and tutor swaying back and forth in her mind. Was something said? What was she getting at? Her jaw slackened, the forceful push through the element of fear that held her there for a moment before she spoke.

"A book?" She breathed, "I would like to write... I enjoy it, but I am no good at it. I want to... Everyone has a tale in them, it's just a matter of finding it." She twisted her lips into a line then as if trying to piece together the words, "I... haven't found the tale worth telling yet. One day, maybe." There was a pause in the street then, a firm turning round upon her heel as she tried to gather her bearings of the area. Finger gave a point to the narrow streets, the subject changing once more, "Which way was it again? I forgot...?" Her gaze lifted, a sheepish smile given, "Why do you ask about writing? I'm not good with words, only like the simple ones - mostly at least. Not a big... Vocabulary?" Fallon shrugged then, trying to cover up her own unease on the subject, "Books reveal much. Apparently words reveal soul. If you believe such a thing, I'm not sure what to believe yet." She cocked her head back, [b]"What about yourself professor, you write and read don't you? Fiction or non-fiction?"
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous