PM to join Trouble in Paradise

What at first seemed to be a simple recovary turns into far more.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Trouble in Paradise

Postby Dulute Jadesmith on November 19th, 2014, 12:17 am

Duluute took a backseat role while Saraphina began to extract information from Jeremiah and Liliandra. Sure he wanted an explanation for what was going on, but he was too happy that everyone was safe to question anything. If Saraphina wasn't here, he probably wouldn't have known anything about what was going on.

Leaning gingerly against Abaccus as if he was a solid wall, Duluute listened as Liliandra explained her side of the story. Contrary to what Saraphina was told, Liliandra had in fact not been kidnapped and instead decided to run away. To escape her parents choosing a husband for her, Liliandra decided to run with Jermiah to an entirely new city. It seemed a bit extreme in Duluute's eyes and he wasn't afraid to say so.

However, Duluute kept quiet as Jermiah cut in, looking to him for reassurance. As Jermiah was explaining, though, he suddenly cut off as a painful memory entered his mind. Liliandra explained that he was in pain over his father's death. Duluute remembered the scene back at Jeremiah's home. The thought gave him a twinge of guilt.

As Liliandra finished, she asked them if they were here to stop them. Duluute only glanced at Saraphina, as this was her mission afterall. To his surprise, she decided to consult him before she gave them a clear cut answer. Duluute answered her honestly.

"Their stories seem to be truthful enough. Although perhaps they have lost control of the situation, I cannot speak against the facts. They appear much too close for anything save for lovers. Regardless I don't feel coming out here was the greatest decision for them. If we hadn't appeared Jeremiah may have perished on that cliff. Should we leave them be we may just have more deaths on our hands.

"Perhaps it would be safer to stop them here. However, I don't believe they would be willing to go back to the city. The only option open to us is to allow them to pass. Unless you care to force both Jeremiah and Liliandra onto the horse."
Dulute Jadesmith
Aquatic Chef Extraordinaire

Words: 22680
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 1:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Trouble in Paradise

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on November 20th, 2014, 3:38 am

Saraphina Skyglow

S araphina hummed over Dulute's answer. He had a good point, getting the two lovers to return to the city would be hard. But it was also for their own safety and wellbeing that they should be brought back. If it came to a fight, she could probably best Jeremiah. After all, the man had just fallen off a cliff and nearly to his death. Weather it had been bad luck or simple foolhardiness, Jeremiah clearly wasn't fit to guide Liliandra through the wilds to Sylrias. Tapping her forefinger on her chin, Saraphina debated her options. She could leave the two lovers where they were. They clearly loved each other deeply and wanted to be together, regardless of the consequences. Neither seemed willing to take the safe route. Then there was the choice of forcing them to return with her. That likely would be much harder, especially if she intended to keep their injuries to a minimal.

G lancing over the dark skinned man's shoulders to the two lovers, she saw Lilinadra and Jeremiah standing close together. The two lovers held each other tightly, watching Dulute and her, while murmuring to each other from time to time. Exhaling through her nose in annoyance, she went back to focusing on her partner, "They are young, stupid....and stubborn. I don't think any words will dissuade them from their chosen plan. You are right in assuming that leaving them be will likely result in their deaths. But....that is the way of natures laws. If Liliandra and Jeremiah think they can overcome the odds and dangers of the wilds and make it safely to Sylaris.....well....its not really our place to try and stop them. But....I will try anyway." Stepping up beside Dulute, the red haired Kelvic placed a hand on his shoulder and gave a gentle squeeze as she passed by before walking back to the two runaways.

P ausing in front of Liliandra and Jerimah, she took in a breath before speaking, "I clearly cannot change your minds about what you wish to do. But I must tell you of how foolish running unplanned into the Wildlands is. You are both in great danger here...and you will proably die before you reach your desination." Saraphina deliberately paused after she said that to let the weight of the words sink in. Both Liliandra and Jerimah looked a bit uncomfortable, but the scent that surrounded them suggested that their desicsion was still soild. Still, she wasn't quite ready to give up yet, "But it is againist my instincts to deprive anyone of their freedom and their choices of what they do with that freedom. But I think you owe it to your family, at least to your Mother, to tell them what your intentions are." Liliandra bit her lip a little, guilt creeping into her face and scent. She looked to her lover for support.

J eremiah held her hand a bit tighter and anger flickered across his face, "I appreciate your concern....but that incident," He nodded towards the cliff before looking back to the ginger, "was just an odd accident. I have hunted these woods for almost 3 years. I can safely lead myself and my love to a caravan that will be passing nearby on a main road. We can barter travel with them to Sylaris. Liliandra...you said you had nothing more to say to you family when you agreed to leave with me....have you changed your mind? If you want to return to Zeltiva, you need only say so and I will take you back." Saraphina had to admire Jeremiah's dedication to his mate. The two were stubborn and headstrong, something she could understand well. Liliandra seemed torn, her eyes darted from side to side and her fingers plucked at her dirty dress. After a few chimes, the dark haired women finally seemed to come to a decision and looked up, "No....you are right Beloved. I said everything I needed to when I left. We keep going...I would follow you anywhere Jeremiah. I made my choice and I will stay with it. Thank you both for your help...but this is our choice and we will see it through to the end. Come what may." Liliandra took Jeremiah's hand with a smile before looking to Dulute and Saraphina. The two seemed to be waiting for more questions from them before parting ways.

OOCFeel free to ask anything to the two lovers before we start wrapping the thread up.

Saraphina Skyglow
No chains will ever hold me

Words: 234308
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2014, 11:59 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Trouble in Paradise

Postby Dulute Jadesmith on November 24th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Although his last words were meant to be sarcastic, Duluute could see Saraphina actually debating weather she could best the two lovers. When she finally spoke, it was to agree to his concerns, but she wanted to try to stop the lovers anyway. He couldn't fault her on that, although they both knew it was a useless effort.

Saraphina gave the lovers the blunt truth, that if they went on it was certain doom, but even with her words they stood determined. Jermiah even spoke up saying the whole cliff incident was just an "accident." Duluute fought the urge to say they would have plenty of accidents in the wild. It probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference anyway.

When the lovers finished, they looked up expectingly at Duluute and Saraphina. The fishermen choose this time to voice his concerns. "It seems we can't convince you any further. Even knowing the dangers you choose to pursue Syliras. I can only say that you both are insane. I can only wish you good fortune and hope a monster doesn't cross your path..." Although he smiled as he said this to show he was joking, he did half-expect them to be eaten by monsters.
Dulute Jadesmith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Trouble in Paradise

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on November 30th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Saraphina Skyglow

T he two lovers seemed to shift a bit uncomfortably at Dulute's speech, but neither looked convinced to change their chosen action. Liliandra smiled at the dark haired man and moved forward, offer her neighboring friend a farewell hug, "I know we may appear young and foolish Dulute....and perhaps we are. But...strange things happen when you fall in love. I hope someday you get the opportunity to understand that." The women in question turned to Saraphina with a nod of respect and removed a pearl brooch from her bosom, handing the jeweled pin to the Kelvic, "Return this to my Mother if you would....it should remain in the family and I no longer consider myself as such. Thank you for your understanding in this....we will remember you when we get settled in Syliras." Jeremiah stepped forward as well, reaching into his overcoat and pulling out a few coins to give to Dulute. The hunter said nothing to the Zeltivian, but his eyes reflected a deep gratitude for the young human. Offering a hand for a firm shake to both of them, Jeremiah took his lovers hand gently before guiding Liliandra away. After a few moments, the two runaways vanished into the dense underbrush of the wilds.

W atching the two leave and running her fingers over the pretty brooch, Saraphina debated about how to deal with the new knowledge she'd gleaned. The two human's would likely not make it to Syliras, despite what they believed. And she still needed to report back to Liliandra's parents about what happened. But what to say. The ginger was unsure if she should tell the truth about what had happened, leaving the family to try and locate the couple in the capital city...or if she should lie, saying that the two were found dead in the wildlands. Turning to Dulute, she decided to question her companion on it as they made their way back to the city. Climbing back onto Abaccus's back and helping Dulute scramble on behind her, she guided her mount back towards the gates of Zeltiva. The sun was starting to hang low in the sky, indicating that the day had fallen to late afternoon. It would be near dinner by the time the two made it back to the city. As her Bloodbane walked, she talked to Dulute over her shoulder, "Well....that was rather interesting. Something I want to ask you Dulute. I still have to report back to Liliandra's family about what happened to her. I'm unsure of normal human reactions in this case. I wonder if I should be honest and tell the family what happened....that their daughter ran off and is alive now, but likely not for long, or if I should simply allow them to think she is dead and let them mourn, maybe give Liliandra and Jeremiah a chance to be happy....assuming they make it to Syliras. What would you prefer if it was your child or family member?"

P ersonally, Saraphina would have simply liked to lie to the family, stating that both of the human's she'd set out to find were dead. It may have been a bit cruel in the short run of things, but the family would be able to move on. And she'd sensed the unhappiness both Jeremiah and Liliandra had felt at the thought of going back to Zeltiva. It might be kinder to let a falsehood be known to avoid a larger problem later. The forest around the pair as they travelled thinned as they neared the gates. The fading light from the day made the sky light up in gorgeous pinks, yellows and reds. Saraphina's breath caught at the beauty and she relived in the natural world. Truly...in the grand sights, two wayward wanderers mattered little. A small lie to try and help them would do no harm surly. Saraphina would respect Dulute's answer regardless, but now...her mind was mostly set. Her companion had gotten a few coins from Jeremiah for his silence and she'd gotten a new companion. It was a good day, all things considered. Taking Dulute deeper into the city, she pick a location fairly close to where they'd first met and dismounted, waiting for the dark skinned man to slide off her horse before speaking, "Well Dulute....this seems to be where we split paths. Thank you for you help, I probably would have been looking for at least another day without your aid. I hope we meet again someday." Saraphina offered her hand to Dulute for a handshake, smiling at the dark skinned man kindly. Stepping away, she swung up into Abaccus's saddle and settled in. Taking the reins, she turned her horse from the naïve Zeltivian and started back towards the gate. Her wildland campsite was calling and everything else could wait till the next day. Looking back over her shoulder as she left, Saraphina took in the dwindling image of Dulute Jadesmith with a wave goodbye.

OOCI'm good here Dulute. Feel free to wrap it up if you want. Thanks for the great thread, it was awesome.

Saraphina Skyglow
No chains will ever hold me

Words: 234308
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2014, 11:59 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Trouble in Paradise

Postby Dulute Jadesmith on December 7th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Of course the couple didn't falter the least bit in their decision because of what Duluute said and he didn't expect them to. After biding Liliandra a parting embrace he felt a bit more guilty about sending them out in the wild. However, all he could do was trust in Jeremiah's skill and hope Dira didn't take them while they were alone.

As a parting gift, Liliandra gave Saraphina a piece of jewelery and Jeremiah gave Duluute a few zilos for his troubles. Although the man said nothing as he did this, he looked grateful enough in Duluute's opinion. Shaking both their hands, Jeremiah bid Liliandra forward and they both made their exit.

Seeing the couple go, Duluute suddenly felt a bit exhausted. All that was on his mind now was how soft his bed was back home. Getting back on Abaccus, Duluute allowed Saraphina to say the first words. However, she was just worried about what to tell Liliandra's parents. She asked what he would say if it was his own child or family member.

"A difficult question. Petch it, why not lie? If you admit their daughter ran off with the man they despise, they may just run to the woods with the whole of the Wave Guard." Their was an exaggerated edge to Duluute's voice that he hoped Saraphina would pick up on. Though she didn't know about normal human behavior, hopefully she at least knew the difference between when someone was serious and joking.

Although they hadn't know each other for long, Duluute felt that Saraphina at least knew basic human interaction. Sure she could be a bit naive to some of the more simplistic human activities, but that was to be expected. In fact, Duluute realized, that was part of her appeal. It just added to the wild nature that made her special.

"Saraphina...you-" His words cut off when his eyes fell upon the scene before them. Duluute had seen the sunrise many times and the sunset a few more times. However, for some reason, this sunset seemed even more spectacular. It was like the sun was trying to give them a sign of some sorts. The sight made Duluute feel peacefully. The perfect end to an eventful day.

Abaccuss came to a stop a few ways short of the World's End Grotto. This was where Saraphina would drop Duluute off. As he listened to Saraphina say her goodbyes, Duluute felt a bit unnerved. The way she was speaking it was like she was going away forever. Would this really be the last time they see each other...at least for a while? He tried not to show his disappointment as he shook her hand.

"This was certainly an...unusual day. It was a pleasure Saraphina...and Abaccus. However, I hope when we meet next it shall be on more...pleasant circumstances." He allowed a smile to grace him as he said this. However, as she disappeared, his smile fell almost immediately. "I can only wish our paths do cross again..." he thought quietly as he made the journey back to the Groto.
Dulute Jadesmith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Trouble in Paradise

Postby Keene Ward on December 30th, 2014, 9:35 am

“It is the brain, the little gray cells on which one must rely. One must seek the truth within--not without."
- Poirot

Saraphina :
Skills:
  • Observation | +5 EXP
    Rhetoric | +3 EXP
    Riding | +2 EXP
    Tracking | +1 Exp
    Socialization | +5 EXP
    Teaching | +1 EXP
    Animal Husbandry | +2 EXP
    Investigation | +5 EXP
    Planning | +1 EXP
    Leadership | +4 EXP
    Tactics | +1 EXP
    Intelligence | +2 EXP
    Land Navigation | +1 EXP
    Persuasion | +1 EXP
    Philosophy | +1 EXP
Lores:
  • Meditation Technique: Tuck and Curl
    Baltog Pelton: "Racist Bastard"
    Liliandra Pelton: Runaway
    Jerimiah: Runaway
    Jerimiah: Hunter
    Jerimiah: Artist
    Directions to Jerimiah's House
    Duluute: Native Zeltivan
    Flaren: "Blue Eyes"
    Tracking: Human
    Philosophy: The Benefit of a Lie

Post Script :
Serephina also received the Pelton Family Brooch, a charcoal drawing of Liliandra, and a map marked with Jerimiah's handwriting. Please add these to your list of possessions!

That was great! You have a good balance between description and action. Definitely be careful about overplaying your skills (in this case, your tracking was at a competent level in your writing but a novice on your CS), and if you're going to write the actions of another PC, just drop a little OOC letting the grader know you have permission. :) Otherwise, that was an intriguing plot with a solid ending! I'm interested to see if this goes anywhere. Good work!

If you have any questions, please PM me!

Duluute :
Skills:
  • Observation | +5 EXP
    Socialization | +5 EXP
    Investigation | +3 EXP
    Land Navigation | +1 EXP
    Rhetoric | +5 EXP
    Meditation | +1 EXP
    Planning | + 1 EXP
    Intelligence | +1 EXP
    Riding | +2 EXP
    Bodybuilding | +1 EXP
Lores:
  • Abaccus: Horse
    Saraphina: A Fiery Foreigner
    Saraphina: Resident of the Mirthal Pass
    Liliandra Pelton: Runaway
    Jerimiah: Runaway
    Saraphina: Native of Avanthal
    Saraphina: Kelvic
    Kelvic: Animalistic Shapeshifters
    Flaren: Suspiciously Suave
    Jerimiah: Loving Son
    Jerimiah: Obsessive Artist
    Mirthal Pass: Grande and Eerie

Post Script :
Duluute paid a half-nilo for breakfast, getting 4 SM and 5 CM back as change. Jerimiah also handed him three half-nilos! Please update your ledger accordingly! (The conversion rate for Nilos doesn't work well with anything less than 5 SM, so change had to be in Mizas! Sorry if this is inconvenient!)

Duluute is adorable haha. You wrote great reactions, and I while I'm not always a fan of character thought in a manner similar to speech, you pull it of quite nicely! I'd just suggest keeping a closer tab on names (Nilos, not Zilos; and at one point you wrote Charlie? haha), otherwise you have a strong writing style that I enjoyed reading. :) Write on!

If you have any questions, please PM me!

Flaren :
Please update your ledger and PM me for your grade once you've done so! :)
Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Previous