Closed Drawing What You Know (Caelum)

Seirei decides to take advantage of a quiet moment, and get some drawing practice in.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Drawing What You Know (Caelum)

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on February 5th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Timestamp: 83rd Day of Winter, 514 AV

Seirei yawned, and rubbed her eyes sleepily. The twins had kept her up again. Lukar had just not wanted to go to sleep. Every time Seirei had tried to put him down, he would start crying again. And when Lukar started crying, his sister Lira would wake up, and demand attention as well. It had been a very long night. Seirei couldn't wait until the twins were old enough to sleep through the night. She missed sleep. And she didn't think she was likely to get any for a very long time.

At least Lian is suffering as well. He isn't getting much more sleep than I am. The man might not have to get up and feed the twins or change their diapers every time they wake up, but he's a very light sleeper, so he can't sleep through their cries any more than I can. she thought with grim satisfaction.

Speaking of Lian, he was already gone. Probably out hunting again. He usually was this time of day. The twins were asleep for the moment. Seirei thought wistfully of several projects she could be working on. But working with wood took time, and concentration. And Seirei was short on both at the moment. So Seirei double checked to make sure that Lukar and Lira were snug in their hammocks. As she did so, she smiled. They were beautiful. And so innocent when they were asleep. The perfect image of peace and tranquility. You would never know that when they wanted something, or were feeling fussy, they could produce a sound that could wake the dead.

When Seirei was sure that all was well with the twins, she gathered up her sketch book, and a charcoal stick. Then she moved outside the tent where she could take advantage of the light. She sat down near the tent flap, where she would be able to get to the twins quickly if they woke, and needed her. Then she opened her book up to the first blank page.

What do I want to try to draw this time? she mused as she stared at the page.

The sun was bright, but the air was cold. Seirei shivered when a breeze rustled her hair. Such a breeze would be welcome during the hot summer months, as a relief to the intense heat. But now it just made Seirei feel even colder.

Summer, huh? That's still several months away. But it will be spring soon. It won't be too much longer before it starts to warm up again.

As if thoughts of spring had stirred her imagination, Seirei's hand began to move of its own accord. A good sized circle in the center of the page. Then she drew long, thin ovals attached to the rim of the circle for the petals. At the bottom of the circle, she drew two straight lines that extended down to the bottom of the page for the stem. Near the bottom, she drew a single leaf. Then she stopped to examine her work.

That looks a little like a sunflower.

On a whim, Seirei drew some curved lines in the circle she had first drawn for the sunflower seeds. Then she studied her work once more.

Well, it doesn't look much like a real sunflower would...but I think that most people who had seen sunflowers often enough to recognize them would guess that this is supposed to be one. she thought ruefully.

And with practice, I will improve...I hope.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Words: 511147
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Caelum on February 20th, 2015, 1:11 am

The day had found Caelum wondering through the shifting "streets" of Endrykas, preoccupied by the organization of a dozen different plans. Part of his purpose in wandering was to take in the sights and sounds of the horselords and let it all remember itself to his blood. He was also studying the available horses for sale, watching the lively barter and trade and making mental notes as to the going rates of the season. Winter was harsh, but horses were valued throughout the year. He would pay a pretty price in Endrykas, but he knew that he would receive some of the finest stock in all of Mizahar. He intended to make some purchases from his friend Kavala Denusk back in Riverfall, but there was no point in ignoring the bounty spread before him now.

As he went, the ethaefal also created somewhat of a stir. Though he was dressed similarly to the majority of the Drykas people, with Syna in the sky and Morwen in the air, he could not help but stand apart. Winter had painted the downward curve of his horns an elegant, forest green that streaked with veins of copper not unlike marble. His hair was pale brown, one of the less showy colors that the seasons loaned him, but against the horns and the deep daylight glimmer of his skin it was the perfect contrast. His clothes were a much simpler affair, a worn leather riding jacket, split down the back and with the collar flipped up against the cold. He wore cream colored linen and a faded grey-blue sweater beneath, the hood of which was down but spilling over the back of his collar. Riding leathers and scuffed tall boots completed it, and the twin marks of Rak'keli's favor shimmering in gold along the back of both hands finished it off. He was stared at with a variety of emotions, and some people he could actually feel thanks to ranuri coming for him and he would move out of their path or down another one entirely.

It was by such an accident he found himself stopping by an unfamiliar tent, pretending to study a tangled bit of thread in his hand as if perhaps he was trying to figure out where the sewing needle had gone. Once the stranger with an ill desire passed, drawn off by the hostile turn of Caelum's shoulder, the ethaefal slid a glance to the young woman seated in the grass nearby.

Tilting his head, he caught a glimpse of her tablet and humor lit his eyes.

"Excuse me," he said, his Pavi as fluent a native's. A hand rose in eloquent inquiry, shaping signs for pardon and amusement. "But I noticed you're drawing a sunflower on paper. Actual paper." He paused and the grin that wanted to surface arrived, wry and welcoming as he felt her hope waft around him. "Did you know that there was a city far, far north of here that used to make paper out of sunflower stalks?"
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on February 20th, 2015, 5:27 pm

With the birth of the twins, Seirei had become accustomed to listening for even the slightest sounds around her. Sometimes, if she could hear the twins start to wake up, and get to them before they worked themselves into a fit of tears as they cried for attention, she could tend to their needs, and bypass the crying entirely. Sometimes. Because of this, she heard someone approach her, and tensed, waiting quietly to see what they wanted of her.

Given the attitude that many of the Drykas had towards captives, there were very few people that Seirei actually wanted to see. Her friend Waisana would be a welcome visitor, but the footprints sounded heavier than those of her friend. Lian was a possibility too, but it seemed highly unlikely as it would be very unusual for him to return from hunting this early. If something had made him return so soon, he was likely to be in a foul mood because of it. That made Seirei even more wary. Although her captor had been treating her better lately, she still didn't trust the man. She felt deeply uneasy around the man, and she couldn't hep but wonder when he would decide it was time to breed her again.

For a few ticks, Seirei thought that whoever it was might be going about their own business, and have no interest in her. That was probably the best she could hope for. But it was not to be. The foot prints stopped a short distance away, and Seirei got the distinct feeling that she was being watched. She was about to look up to see who was watching her when her visitor spoke.

It was a man, and it definitely wasn't Lian. That made Seirei tense even more. He spoke Pavi, as she expected someone would in Endrykas. But rather than sounding angry, or disdainful, the man sounded...amused? Seirei glanced at her drawing self consciously. Was it really so bad? Startled confusion replaced some of the tension as Seirei looked up to see who had spoken to her.

Her eyes widened at the sight that waited for her. She noticed the sign he made. It was similar enough to one she knew that she could guess at the meaning. Pardon, and amusement. Well, the amusement, she really should have expected since she could hear it in his voice as well. But she was too distracted by his appearance to make an immediate reply. The man was unlike any she had ever seen before. He was tall, probably around six feet or so if Seirei had to guess. He looked human...mostly. But he had elegant looking green horns that didn't belong on any human. And yet, they seemed to suit him somehow. They didn't look strange at all on him, even though they probably would on someone else. His skin, what she could see of it seemed to glow in the bright light of the sun. He also had two golden marks, one on the back of each hand, that Seirei suspected might be gnosis marks. His clothes were less notable than his physical appearance, and looked like the kind any Drykas might wear.

Growing up with a trade caravan as she had, Seirei wasn't afraid of meeting someone of another race as some would be. Instead, since the man wasn't acting hostile in any way, she was curious, but cautious. At the same time, she knew enough not to ask any blatant questions that the stranger might take offense at. So she smiled, and made a simple greeting gesture.

When the man spoke again, Seirei listened intently, trying to translate the pavi words.

Well, at least he can recognize my attempt at drawing a sunflower for what it is. Maybe that means I'm not so hopeless at drawing after all. she thought ruefully.

And he's right. Paper is quite rare here. So I suppose that it's unusual that I would use it to practice drawing. But...I don't think that that's what he's saying. If I'm understanding him correctly, he's amused that I'm drawing a sunflower on paper. I must be misunderstanding something. Because...what's so strange about that?

The man's grin was catching, and Seirei found herself grinning a little in response even though she wasn't entirely certain what had amused him so much. His next words truly caught Seirei's interest. If she had understood him correctly...people used to make paper out of sunflower stalks?

"Really?" she asked excitedly in Common.

Seirei blushed. She really needed to work on that. Waisana was happy to speak in Common with her since it was easier for her to understand. And Lian wasn't happy about it since he seemed to hate the language for some reason, but he did use it with her since he didn't know that she understood any pavi. But how many other Drykas even knew the language? This man clearly wasn't a Drykas, but he was here in Endrykas, either to visit, or he might even live here. Seirei had no reason to expect that he would understand Common.

"Really?" she asked again, this time in heavily accented pavi.

"That's fascinating! What city, if you don't mind my asking? I knew that you could eat sunflower seeds, and that you could crush them, and use them to make bread if you mix them with flour...but I never knew that you could make paper out of the stalks. And...I'm sorry about earlier. Pavi isn't my native language, and I still fight..."

Seirei frowned for a moment. That didn't sound right.

"Fight...struggle? Maybe that's better? I still have a lot to learn about speaking it."

Her hand gestures were the one a child might use to apologize for something, and one that indicated uncertainty and hesitance in her words. But her eyes were bright with interest both in learning more about sunflowers, and about the distant city that used them to make paper.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Caelum on March 25th, 2015, 3:28 pm

“Struggle is a good word for it,” Caelum replied in Pavi, the air about him agreeable as he considered the doe-eyed young woman. After a few moments, he continued but it was in the Common tongue, the whole of him automatically adjusting to fit her inclinations when she blushed. Now and again he continued to underscore his Common words with selections of Grasslands Signs. It was done absently and out of a long habit of attempted communication.

“I’ve heard that about the bread too,” he confessed. Even his Common was accented with something foreign, even alien, exotic tones that ground between his teeth like stardust. He could cough up comets with his words. “But I’m not much of a cook and I’ve never actually tried making it myself. I’ve eaten it, though, and it’s good. It has a nuttier flavor as you would expect.”

He hesitated but then stepped over to sink into a corbie’s crouch. It was close to her, but not uncomfortably so. He simply wanted a better angle at which to view her drawing and also not to loom over her, keeping her in the light rather than bent in his shadow. With one hand he gestured toward her tablet and told the story he had already begun.

“The city was called Denval. Originally it was a military outpost for the ancient Suvan Empire. A man named Captain Orionis DeNoia of the Northern Regiment was the leader when the Valterrian struck, and his descendants came to lead the survivors. One of the first things they did was upon discovering that they were cut off from the world by the newborn mountain ranges was lay in acres of hardy sunflowers. Sunflowers are an easy crop to manage and harvest and their yield provides multiple uses. Paper from stalks, medicinal properties from leaves, roots, and petals, and food stores from their seeds.”

Caelum squinted out at the grasslands surrounding, a massive sprawl of nature that they were merely squatting amidst. “There’s about fifty bushels of seeds from one acre of sunflowers,” he calculated from his memory. “And one gallon of sunflower seed oil yields from one bushel. The oil has numerous uses. In cooking, in medicine, but also in soap and candle making.” A shrug rolled fluid from his shoulders. “It also works well just as a lubricant. Once you have enough oil, any extra seeds can be used to feed chickens, pigs, even cows. Bottom line, the sunflower is one of the most versatile and useful products provided us by Bala.”

By the time he stopped talking, he was looking abashed. A sardonic twist took Caelum’s mouth as he started back to his feet. “Ah, my apologies. I’m Caelum and I didn’t mean to interrupt your day with a lecture.” But one got the impression he was accustomed to teaching and instruction.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on April 10th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Seirei nodded when the man told her that "struggle" was the word she had been looking for after all. She tried to commit the word to memory so she would know to use it in a similar context if she ever needed to. All the same, she was relieved when the man began speaking in Common. For all that she was trying to improve her skills in her father's native language, she wasn't truly comfortable with it. Common was much better when discussing something that was important for Seirei to know, or when she was truly interested in the conversation. Like now. Though she knew little about herbs, she was fascinated by them. A "simple" plant could be pretty, and offer a scent pleasant enough to brighten a person's spirits when they were feeling down. But plants were also a vital source of food, both for people, and for the animals that people relied on for food, clothing, and transportation. At the same time, they provided valuable medicines that could save a person's life. And she had also just learned of another important use. So Seirei offered a shy smile of relief and gratitude at the man's willingness to use Common when speaking to her.

Seirei listened intently to the man's words, but she also paid equally close attention to his hand signs. Though many were beyond her understanding, she did recognize a few. And she was able to puzzle out several more from the context of his words. Seirei tried to commit these to memory too. As he spoke, Seirei tried to place the strange tones she heard in the man's voice. They were unlike anything she had ever heard before, and Seirei couldn't even begin to guess where the man had come from by the way he spoke. She liked his voice, though.

"I hope to get the chance to try it then. It sounds good. I'm not much of a cook either, though. I wonder if people here in Endrykas know how to make it?" Seirei mused with a smile when he mentioned having eaten bread made out of sunflower seeds in the past.

After having spent the fall with the Drykas, she had learned that it was a time of foraging. Hunters went out to bring back all kinds of game, but non hunters went out as well. Seirei had seen groups of people coming back with berries, and wild onions, and many other things as well. She herself had gone out with a couple of girls who were gathering cattails while she gathered some willow branches she had needed. Sunflowers were a fairly common sight out in the Sea of Grass. That was why she was familiar enough with what one looked like to attempt drawing it from memory instead of needing one in front of her as a model. It seemed possible that sunflower seeds were one of the things that people in the city harvested for food.

When the man crouched beside her, Seirei tensed uneasily for a few ticks. Being Lian's captive had taught Seirei to be wary of men. That wariness had only deepened after her experience with one of the healers who had examined her last season. But when he made no move to touch her, and in fact seemed more interested in her drawing, she relaxed.

"I'm glad that you realized that it was meant to be a sunflower. It means that I'm improving. You probably wouldn't have recognized it if you had seen my attempts at drawing one last season." Seirei said with a wry smile.

She hesitated for a few ticks.

"Do you have any pointers you can give me? I am trying to teach myself how to draw because it will help me as a wood carver. When I begin attempting more complicated pieces, I will need to make sketches to use as references as I work. And for that, well...I will need to be able to draw well enough to draw sketches that I can use." she said ruefully.

The story about Denval was fascinating to Seirei, and she listened with rapt attention. Having grown up with a trade caravan, she had developed a love of visiting new places and learning about them and the people who lived there. Learning that Denval had connections to the Suvan Empire was interesting as well. But she was even more fascinated by what the man was telling her about sunflowers.

"What kind of medicinal properties do sunflowers have?" Seirei asked with obvious interest. And what medicines are made out of sunflower oil? I knew that you could use it to cook with, but I didn't know that it was used in medicines, too. I didn't know that you could use it to make soaps and candles either." she mused.

Seirei's eyes were bright with intense interest as she looked up at the man when he introduced himself. Her mouth turned upwards in a genuine smile that was very rare for her these days.

"My name's Seirei. And please don't apologize. I really enjoyed listening to you. I grew up with a trade caravan, so I've always loved seeing, and hearing about new places. I've never even heard about Denval before, so your story was completely new to me. My..."

Seirei hesitated. It wasn't her caravan. Not anymore. They had abandoned her. Her eyes darkened with pain briefly.

"The caravan I lived with traveled mostly through the Sea of Grass, so that is what I am most familiar with. I also learned a lot about sunflowers today, and I want to thank you for that. I enjoy learning about herbs. But when you travel as much as I used to, it can be hard to find someone who is willing to teach you. We did have an herbalist who traveled with the caravan. That's where I got my interest in herbs. But she was too busy to teach much. She didn't like kids that much either."

Caelum spoke as though he was used to teaching others. Seirei wondered if he had children that he taught, or if he was a teacher by trade. She couldn't help but be curious about the man. Her love of learning about new places and peoples made her wonder what race he was, and what his people were like. Did they live in this Denval that Caelum had spoken of? It wasn't her place to ask, though. And she didn't want to be rude, or risk angering the man. She also hoped that he might be willing to discuss herbs with her for a while longer.

"You seem to know a lot about sunflowers. Do you know about other herbs as well?" she asked curiously.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Caelum on June 11th, 2015, 7:01 pm

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Seirei.” Caelum smiled at the young woman, welcoming and perhaps unexpectedly genuine. “I meet a number of travelers, though few have harbored much interest in herbalism or even botany. It’s good that you also have an interest in drawing. Not only will it assist you in your wood carving, but it’s the documentary backbone of any decent herbalist.”

The ethaefal leaned over, but he continued to try and not crowd her. The tension that had temporarily infused Seirei’s frame did not go unnoticed. Unfortunately, he had considerable experience with the traumatized, men and women who had had anxiety beaten into their bones by the rough use and cruelty of others. Making an effort to appear harmless, he kept the line of his shoulders relaxed and maintained a quiet, even tone to his voice. Once on a far flung shore, far from the prairies of Cyphrus, a priest of Rak’keli had told him there were more tools for healing on his person than his hands.

Directing his attention back to Seirei’s notepad, he considered for a minute. “Basic shapes,” he determined after a several ticks. “And it would help considerably if you broadened your value range. This is what I mean –“ He dug into an interior pocket of his riding jacket to remove a small, leather bound journal. It was worn and dog-earred and the pages crackled like autumn leaves when he spilled it open on his hand. He flipped through a few pages that were covered in various sized diagrams of flowering herbs until he found the one he was looking for. Turning the journal around, he showed Seirei a few loose sketchings of the myrdas flower he had drawn at various angles.

“Everything has a basic shape,” he explained. “In drawing, it’s just a matter of determining what that shape is and then putting that down first. You see how the myrdas flower’s center is circular and the heads are a series of overlapping ovals with some extra detail? That detail, which is called the contouring, comes second. You want to get the outline of basic shapes down first. You can then go about building the drawing with contour lines of varying value. By value I mean how light or dark your lines are.”

While Caelum’s drawings were far from perfect, they were decent replications and the plants pictured were easily identifiable. As he continued, he offered the journal to Seirei so that she might flip through some of the drawings if she liked.

“That is about the limit of my drawing knowledge,” he confessed. “Everything else I’ve learned from practice and observation. Not actually observing others draw, but in intent observation of the subject I’m drawing. Familiarity and understanding of your subject matter can be useful. As for medicinal plants and herbs – “ His smile quickened. “Yes, actually. I’m a healer by profession. Should you ever visit Riverfall, you should come by my infirmary. It’s called Alements and I serve healing herbal concoctions there too. I’ll show you my garden. I managed to get my hands on a few of the more rare species of plants and some of them have thrived.”

Slowly, he stretched back up to his feet. It was beginning to cramp his joints, remaining crouched so long. He rocked back on his heels and considered. “Right, sunflower medicinal properties…” He muttered this to himself while mentally rifling through what amounted to an elaborate index of medical information. Ninety percent of herbalism was basic memorization of plants, the details of their identification, and their proper usage. It could be incredibly boring, and Caelum had found over the years that it required a great deal of determination from the physician or intended healer to truly dedicate themselves to the study. “Expectorant,” he said suddenly, and blinked down at her while surfacing from the internal library. “Sunflower seeds, toasted and crushed, or oil pressed, or leaves dried and steeped, are an excellent expectorant. That means they help loosen mucus and phlegm in the lungs, throat, and nasal passages.” He signed the Pavi words for the body parts as he spoke in Common, hands moving fluidly. “They’ll help considerably with fevers and ague as well if you put a few drops of oil into a small cup of boiled wine.”

Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on June 14th, 2015, 2:36 am

Caelum's surprisingly genuine smile was infectious, and Seirei found herself returning it shyly. She had not known that the ability to draw would be useful to an herbalist as well as to a wood carver. It made sense, though. There were so many different kinds of plants. Maybe there were even as many different kinds as there were stars in the night sky. Or maybe even more than that. If you knew how to draw well, and you drew the herbs that had useful properties, it would help you remember which ones were useful. And if you wrote what they were used for under the pictures, it would be better still. That would allow you to memorize which herbs were good for what easier. Glancing at her drawing, Seirei realized that there wasn't enough room for her to do just that under the picture of the sunflower she was working on. But she promised herself that she would write what she had learned about sunflowers on the next page once she was finished with the drawing. She didn't want to forget what she had learned.

When Caelum leaned over her once more, Seirei was hard pressed not to flinch. And while she controlled the urge...barely...she was unable to keep herself from tensing. But he almost seemed to sense her anxiety, because he seemed to be trying not to crowd her. His shoulders were relaxed, not taut with the intention to lash out and grab her at any moment. When he spoke, his words were quiet, and even. There were none of the warning signs she had learned to recognize, such as loudness, or anger. Caelum's tone, and stance eased her fears, and she relaxed once more.

Seirei listened closely to what Caelum said about basic shapes. It was something she herself had learned. A square to represent a house. A triangle for the roof. Or a line, either straight, or curved for the stem of a flower. But the rest of what the man said was new to her. As she looked at the picture of a flower that Caelum showed her, Seirei could see what he was talking about. She could see the basic shapes that made up the flower in the picture. Circles and ovals were something Seirei knew how to draw. It made her wonder if it would be a good idea to try to focus on drawing plants and flowers. Circles for the heads of flowers, and for berries. Ovals for petals and leaves. Lines for the stems. Seirei thought she could draw that much, at least. As she looked, she could see that some of the lines were thicker than others. The ones that were thicker were also darker than the thinner lines. Other lines weren't thicker, but they were still darker, as if Caelum had pressed down harder when making them. That must be what Caelum meant by contour and value. Seirei nodded thoughtfully.

"I think I see what you mean." she mused as she continued to study the drawing.

The man offered her his journal, and Seirei thanked him as she took it. Taking care not to damage the pages, Seirei flipped through the book, admiring the pictures she saw. Some of the herbs were ones she recognized, or thought she did. Others were completely new to her. In looking at the pictures, she could see more examples of what Caelum had told her about basic shapes. She could also see how just darkening a line could add detail to the image that she had never managed to achieve herself. Seirei wanted to try it for herself, and promised herself that she would do just that the next time she had a chance to practice drawing.

After a few chimes, Seirei flipped back to the page Caelum had first showed her.

"Which flower is this? It looks familiar...but I'm not sure if I'm thinking of something else or not."

Seirei offered the journal back to Caelum.

"These are pretty good. Much better than my own attempts, anyway. I hope that I can draw like this some day." she said quietly.

Seirei was no expert on drawing. But as a wood carver, she did have some experience in judging the quality of art. The drawings weren't masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination. They didn't have the complexity that one would expect from a master work...at least if one was dealing with wood. But the pictures were easily identifiable as what they were. They weren't generic "flowers." Instead, there was enough detail that if you knew what herb the picture was supposed to be a drawing of, you would recognize it. Seirei's own attempts were far more generic most of the time. Basic shapes combined with each other to make a greater picture mostly. And the lines in these pictures were steady. Straight when they were supposed to be straight, and curved when they were supposed to be curved. Seirei had reached a level of skill where her lines were...mostly steady. But her first attempts had certainly not been.

Hearing that practice and observation had her nodding in understanding. Seirei had noticed that she had better luck producing a recognizable drawing if she was looking at what she wanted to draw rather than relying on her memory of what something was supposed to look like. The offer to see Caelum's garden if she ever made it to Riverfall startled Seirei, but she smiled in thanks. Her eyes lit up with interest at the thought of seeing some of the rare herbs he had.

"Thank you. I think I'll take you up on that if I ever get to Riverfall." she said softly.

It wasn't as impossible as it sounded. Seirei knew that the Drykas lived not too far from Riverfall for part of the year. Her caravan had traveled to Endrykas from Riverfall some years when she was a child. When she was ready to escape, she might be able to pay for passage with a trade caravan headed to Riverfall. Knowing someone in the city, even slightly might help her once she made her escape. If Caelum was offering to show her his garden, would he be willing to give her a tour of the city as well? Tell her of possible job opportunities, maybe? Seirei knew it would be a long time before she was able to escape her captor, but her tentative escape plans started to become a bit more detailed. She would definitely try to reach Riverfall when she was ready, rather than any other city.

Seirei listened intently as Caelum answered her question about the medicinal uses of a sunflower. The seeds could be used as an expectorant if they were toasted and crushed, or pressed with oil. So could the leaves if they were dried and steeped. And the oil could help with fevers and ague if a few drops were placed in a cup of boiled wine. Seirei tried to memorize what she had learned. She also paid close attention to the pavi signs he used for the lungs, throat, and nasal passages.

"So..."

Seirei hesitated, uncertain.

"An expectorant would be good for someone who had a cold, right? What about allergies?"

Seirei knew that people could be allergic to pollen. Some of the people she had known in her...the caravan she had grown up in had been. They had suffered terribly every spring when the flowers began blooming. But they tended to sneeze more than cough...was that the same thing?
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Tribal on December 8th, 2015, 12:06 am

G R A D I N G

Seirei

Experience

• Childcare: 1
  • Drawing: 2
  • Planning: 1
  • Observation: 3
  • Logic: 1
  • Socialisation: 2
  • Herbalism: 1
  • Rhetoric: 1

Lore

• Drawing: Best done in good light
  • Drawing: A straight line
  • Drawing: Flora
  • Drawing: Takes practice
  • Paper is rare in Endrykas
  • Caelum: A green horned man
  • Caelum: Marked by the gods
  • Caelum: Speaks Pavi and Common
  • Sunflowers are common in the Sea of Grass
  • The story of Denval
  • Caelum: An infectious smile
  • Drawing: advanced shading techniques
  • Pavi: Mastering language basics

Notes

Too bad this didn't get finished, I quite enjoyed it.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes