PM to join [Message Square] Messages for the Missing (Kavala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Message Square] Messages for the Missing (Kavala)

Postby Wikus on February 18th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Wikus’ smile came for once, enjoying the thrill of the false chase way more than he should. His shoulder came firmly to shove people left and right, plowing through them without much trouble as he specifically chose the human trails rather than those in which the bulking Akalaks roamed. His strength and their unawareness gave him the advantage, and he showed no mercy as he forced his way forward, most of their replies being gasps or insults shot at his back. By far, the most joy came from the feeling of Kavala being behind him, following blindly like a sheep, unaware of his ploy and his success in carrying it out. For once he seemed to be in control of the situation even if his improvisation was somewhat childish and immature. Nonetheless, if it worked it was valid. His lungs were soon giving in, and only once he restrained his smile he dared to glance back, hoping to find Kavala’s features in pain, or hurry, or pretty much anything that wasn’t her usual inquisitive and relaxed face. She wasn’t there, not when he glanced back nor when he halted and inspected his surroundings in search for her presence. He didn’t have to retrain a smile as it had faded, and nothing but the anger and frustration felt in that moment was drawn in his features. Had she not followed him? Had she seen through his lie?

Clenching a fist, a childish tantrum wanted to come out from him. Once again, that woman had managed to completely see through his intentions and with her indifference she once again claimed another victory. She, with her eyes, with her words and her presence, was perhaps the worst individual he had ever come across. No matter what kind of armor he placed between them, she always managed to slide through the gaps and once again win. It was a competition, as Wikus didn’t believe there was nothing else between them. Just like that moment in which his flower was hurled towards her face, he knew there was no kind of action he could do to correct his mistake. That being the previous season, now he felt even more desperately angry despite all the confidence he had gained, despite all the things he had done to convince himself he wasn’t the same weakling seen the previous season. He took a few moments for himself, to breathe and try to relax. In a way, he wanted to retire now before suffering further humiliation from her as his pride wouldn’t be able to handle losing two encounters with her. However, he also felt the need to be as relentless as he usually was and go back on his steps in attempts of finding her. Shoving his doubts aside, he began making his way back hoping to find her again.

Wikus himself knew he wasn’t exactly very stable – especially around her. She and her insane talent to affect him always brought these extreme actions by his part, actions improper of him no matter how damaged he was. Trying to mask his smell by dragging his shirt on the grass, hurling a flower at her face, lying to her and trying to mess with her… Those actions were not his. She was the intruder invading a home, and he was the chained dog that simply lost his mind trying to defeat the leash. Perhaps he was overthinking the matter, trying to find a secret meaning behind her when there was none. Perhaps she was like him, or he was like her and thus these frictions appeared. No matter how big a monster she was, she had fixed his teeth, his aches and his meaningless smile without even a sign of gratitude by him. He was a monster himself, and one of his biggest flaws was his attempts of finding misery or double intentions when there were none. Perhaps this was what he saw in her, something fake fabricated by his mind in attempts of justifying himself for his actions the past season. Pride left aside, he truly owed her an apology. After all, she was proving to be too smart for his dumb tricks – he had to find someone dumber to trick – an Akalak, most likely.

Once he had advanced enough, his eyes finally made contact with her, the woman that surely would rule his nightmares for a while. Obviously, he avoided eye contact and instead glared somewhere around him like a dog that wasn’t able to face his owner after digging through the garden. His pace was slow as he was unintentionally trying to never reach her position, the frown on his face clearly stating how sincerely awkward this was going to be. Only when he was a few steps away that his eyes finally looked forth, his vision being split between Kavala and Kesser, the man he could distinguish anywhere and at any time – mostly due to the strange circumstance that had granted him knowledge of his name. Wikus’ eyes glanced between them both, not quite sure what to believe as both individuals were equally bizarre. Kesser was a man that had risen a mansion and hosted a party under a fake name for whatever reason, name which Wikus had discovered for some mysterious reason, and Kavala was… well, Kavala. He could’ve believed they both knew each other, but ticks ago he had promised not to distrust Kavala that much. Sighing and fixing his eyes on Kesser, he was obviously the main target. “Kesser, the man that did not feed birds... I—We look for you.” Blunt and direct, Wikus’ words were as tasteless as his attitude usually was, fact concealed until now as his true attitude wouldn’t shine on Kavala’s presence – especially if they were alone.

Wikus hand didn’t come forth for any sort of greeting, and neither did Kesser. Kesser’s presence appeared humble and relaxed, his features calm and perhaps slightly amused as he offered a wide smile to them both. “Ah, you must be Wikus. I remember you from the Winter Blaze. You seemed quite hungry, especially since you insisted on sneaking out part of the food. “ Despite the somewhat amused attitude of Kesser, Wikus felt mentioning that was a low hit. The Winter Blaze was his first attempt of socializing and ‘making friends’, but the only thing he had done is remain near the food and fill himself with the various choices. Later on he started shamelessly filling a small sack with the plates he hadn’t managed to chug down. Grunting, Wikus raised his head as attempted to stare down and intimidate the unresponsive man. Kesser seemed about to say something when Wikus’ voice interrupted him. “He came, he waved his hands, the notes were there then gone.” Trying to imitate the rather annoying voice of the birds and the words they offered Kavala, Wikus switched over to his usual voice. “Did you get my message?” Quoting the only message left on the board, he hoped Kesser realized that Wikus knew he was the culprit. Wikus glanced towards Kavala, hoping to find her features offended or something similar as, in all honesty, that’s all he could expect to see in her.

1199 / 50000
Wikus
It burns when I pee!

Words: 377704
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2015, 9:48 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Kavala on February 29th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Wikus was such an oaf. He didn’t even watch where he was going. If one could equate the bearded and inked menace to a farm boy, he sure plowed his way through the crowd like a man tilling a winter hardened field. Too bad it was the only field he was going to be tilling in regards to Kavala. The Konti felt like Wikus should come with warning labels or at least a giant nose ring one could hook a chain to and thus safely tether him like a milk cow so he didn’t trample anyone in the crowd. Luckily the scowl across his sadly human and utterly lacking face cleared enough of the folks from his path that no children were orphaned and no women were left widowed. It was a pity, thought Kavala, since such actions would surely incur the wrath of the Kuvay’Nas lingering about and thus free her from the chronic pain that called itself Wikus.

Why was she here again? Why meet in this Square at all? It was too deliberate to be chance. She wouldn’t have put it past him to arrange it all. Why? It wasn’t her job to babysit him. It wasn’t her job to run while he strided with his long legs just so she could keep up. He was an arrogant ass. And she intensely disliked him for it. She didn’t even believe in his lack of confidence or the signs he displayed of being sensitive. Humans lied in a hundred ways and they weren’t happy unless they were torturing or causing pain in others. Wikus was probably just another liar in a long string of lairs she’d met in her life and nothing was going to change that. She knew she saw him do something with the link. And she saw black on his lips and teeth for a moment as well. Could he at least tell her the truth? No. Not even a little.

Pig.

He could have been a looker if he took better care of himself. He might have even been remotely interesting if he didn’t stammer and stutter and refuse to use good common. He certainly had no manners which could be overlooked if other things were place. Other things weren’t in place. Wikus was a bottle of whiskey and a set of balled up fists away from being common tavern trash and Kavala knew it. She even resented the compulsion that caused her to fix his teeth. If she’d been faster perhaps she could have relieved him of a few more. He probably wouldn’t even have noticed. He certainly hadn’t said Thank You.

Petch Him.

The Konti shook her head. Her train of thought would have continued except Kesser intervened and brought her attention back to the situation at hand. She studied the new man for a moment and then took a breath to watch Wikus walk up and stammer something like an idiot. Nothing he said, obviously, would make much sense.

Kavala was mortified at Kesser’s next words. Wikus went to a party and stole food? The Konti frowned and then turned to gauge Wikus’ reaction. She stared at him, her own sense of right and wrong marching to the forefront. The Konti had known hunger in her life. She’d known pain. But she’d never ever stooped so low to steal from a host that was putting on a free event for the city just as an introduction to his new business. Business funds were sometimes tight. Stealing food from a party was a social blunder of epic proportions. If it was common knowledge, Kavala thought, at least he’d never be invited to another Riverfall Social Event ever again and that meant they’d be pleasant for her. No awkward associations. No small talk that mostly went over the man’s head because it was too empty of anything remotely capable of sustaining it.

“My apologies. Wikus isn’t from around here and his social tools are lacking a bit of honed edge.” Kavala countered just before Wikus let the other ball drop.

Dodge and deflect. Maybe he was smarter than he let on? The Konti wondered at the timing of the prompt and felt a little like a teacher who was having one student tattle on another in front of the entire class. They weren’t, by any means, alone in the street. People were passing by, many by now recognizing Kesser, or as Kavala knew him “Straif Davin”. Folks nodded some smiled, and even more stopped to offer a hand or speak to him for a moment. Kavala wondered at the attention and then wondered at Kesser’s reaction.

She wouldn’t have long to wait. Amusement played across her features as she studied the man. “I thought your name was Straif Davin?” The question slipped out of her mouth before Kesser could answer Wikus.

The man looked equally amused, addressing Wikus’ question or at least his outbust before he did Kavalas. “Yes. It was rather cluttered, that square, wasn’t it? I cleaned it up and left a message for Her. You wouldn’t know her. She’s been playing hard to get and being rather elusive in her freedom. She got the message. I’m not sure what she’s going to do about it. Would you like to know what it is?” He said, chuckling slightly as if this was all good fun to him.

He turned back to Kavala then. She raised an eyebrow and then asked another question with the first one completely unanswered. “What was the message?” She said, a warning bell flooding her senses at the tone of Kesser’s words. “And who was it too?” She asked a third question, Kesser’s strange mischievous eyes pulling her in.

He paused, watching the Konti for a moment as if to see if there was going to be any more questions, and then laughed lightly. “I’ll answer all three of your questions. But are you sure you want to know?” He turned then to Wikus, shifting his body so that he was clearly visible to both the human and the Konti before he began to speak.
“I go by many names. My true name is Kesser though. I have many talents, you might say, and one of them is causing a bit of trouble. She is the Goddess of Freedom and I’m hunting her. She owes me something and I will not stop until I collect. She thinks that something is something I’m going to forget. I’m not. My message was simple. If you think doing this to an entire city is bad, wait until you see what I’m going to do next season if you don’t immediately give me what I want and what you owe me. He said softly, a menace in his voice that equaled the humor that was there just a moment ago.

“I will make you all slaves. As liberating as I was this season, to balance it out you will loose your will to something next season. And it is going to be all her fault. All she had to do was pay up one simple debt. Just one. And no one had to get hurt. But I’m done playing. When the watchtowers flare, everyone’s going to hurt.” He said menacingly, meeting first Wikus and Kavala’s eyes.

“It was you.” Kavala said instantly, knowing she wasn’t wrong. “You were responsible for the gifts manifesting this season!” Kavala looked at Wikus and wondered for a moment what had afflicted him. He looked normal and nothing had manifested about him. But she had seen him lick the paper and the ink had disappeared. It had been on his tongue and in his teeth for just a moment. But Kavala still had no idea.

“Who are you? Who are you really and how can we stop this?” She asked abruptly. Kesser just laughed. He threw back his head and laughed like she’d said the funniest thing he’d ever heard. “You can’t. It’s between her and myself. Only she can stop it.” And again he laughed and reached out to clap Wikus on the shoulder like he was a long lost friend.

“I thought stealing the food was bold. It was something I would do myself. Don’t let little snooty bitches like Freedom or Kavala tell you otherwise. We do what we please and society can all go Petch Themselves if they don’t like it, eh?” The Godling said, eyes full of mischief again, even as he took a step back. It was obvious that he was departing and departing rapidly. Kavala felt sick to the core of her stomach. They were all going to hurt next season? What?

She had to… do what? Tell someone? Tell someone the gods were going to be using Riverfall as a playground and because one god was mad at another there was going to be hurt? What did that even mean? The Konti tried to open her mouth to ask further questions but nothing seemed to happen. Wikus and the Godling seemed to be having a moment outside of the crowd so she just stood there letting it all soak in.

1523/50251
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Wikus on March 7th, 2016, 12:43 am

Wikus was not as bothered as Kavala was by Kesser’s words, but instead was far angrier. His ignorance about Gods and Goddess that ruled the world didn’t quite allow him to have the necessary knowledge as to how to take the direct thread this man had just tossed out there. Wikus didn’t quite care about the other’s freedom, yet his was something precious. Life in chains was no life, and Kesser had just expressed that by what Wikus could tell, his common not being as trained as he wished. His mouth went wide, just as much as his eyes, perhaps hinting an incoming arrogant laugh he’d deliver on Kesser’s face that never came. Now that he had teeth, he’d show them as he stared down at the shorter male. Kesser looked like someone who bled and felt pain, the kind of male that was only so on the outside while a little girl hid inside ready to sob in any moment. Wikus wasn’t a violent man, not at all, and he surprised himself by thinking of the urge he felt to take a hold of that man and simply break him. Maybe then that confidence would be gone. Patting his shoulder was the drop of water that spilled the glass of rage.

Wikus couldn’t just attack this man-child, no matter how much he wanted. Not only there were witnesses present, but the man had a reputation. Kavala, even if she was in apparent shock over this obvious lie Kesser spoke, would nonetheless jump to help Kesser if he attacked him. Her idea was that everything wrong in the world revolved around Wikus himself, that he was the source of all the trouble no matter how large or insignificant they were. Like a mule, her mind was set on blaming him and nothing would serve to steer her away from those thoughts. Perhaps only if he pulled the whip from his waist and whipped her she would change her mind… possibly changing her mind to finally dig into Wikus’ throat with her knives. Now, Kesser’s graphic but accurate description of Kavala was appreciated. Kavala’s attitude was the real problem here. Wikus’ train of thought was disrupted, as the departing man bumped into him, glancing up with his oh so sure smile before he softly said: “Maybe you should start liking her a bit more. Who knows if you’ll still be liking those flowers of yours come spring…” He winked, patted him once on the back and left down the street, greeting and chatting with the idiotic citizens of this disgusting city.

He felt impotence now, being taunted to commit an obvious mistake, frozen in place in a similar manner Kavala was. Wikus’ incompetence in the art of speech and overall socialization were taking a toll on him, easily bothered by any word or statement no matter how true or false they were. Words were as dangerous as knives for him, even if a knife was much easier to deal with. Gaping over at Kavala, he stared at her with blatant concern. He wanted to drill a hole inside her skull to see if her thoughts were as delusional as his, to see if she still wanted to fight or just go home and weep about the words from this one man. Truthfully, the promise of slavery was surely taking a toll on her on a similar manner it would be for everyone else. By mere appearance, her strength had waned to instead reveal her true insecurity about it all, at least that being the meaning he found as he looked towards her. With a grunt, Wikus would step forward with the same brashness he usually had. Standing just before her in that close proximity he had used with the female, he’d try to lay a hand on her shoulder. “We follow Kesser, then make him gone. We know where house his is.” Wikus was obviously thinking of a visit to the mansion the whimsical man had erected. Perhaps coming across like a fool due to his ignorance about the Gods, or perhaps as a brave soul whose lamps did not quite shine brightly inside his head.

Given how awkward Kavala was, he was forced to think of a second alternative to that plan. She could be useful in this manhunt he was trying to organize, considering how prominent her being was in the city. “Or we find Freedom whore and irk her for answer. I and you not being slaves, understand?” If his hand was on her shoulder, he’d squish his fingers and apply some pressure on her to make her understand his plan was legit. “Kesser is important in hub. Winter Blaze, house, friends… Not hidden. Whore must be near, hidden. If hidden but in hub, someone must saw her sometime. Not many women in hub, only blues. If new woman around, someone must know.” The alternative plan laid out, he went silent for a moment while he stared at the female to see her reaction, which was obviously going to be of disgust or whatever negative emotion she could find for him. How predictable she was with her intentions when she was interacting with him… Thoughts aside, he’d lay the two alternatives once again. “We make Kesser gone or we find Freedom woman.” Kavala’s help was mandatory in this task, for he wouldn’t be able to do it alone. No matter if this was his second season here, his knowledge about all of this was null. The laws were a mystery, and his connections were none.
“We split, we go in chains. You got answer from me, no? You got answer for who stole message. Now you give answer to me.” Still staring at the pale woman dressed in white, he’d raise the palm of his hand and forced the roses in the backside of his palm to stretch out into the actual palm, peeking from the edge of his fingers at first until the whole tattoo had ‘floated’ into the callus and rough overgrown hand of his. Revealing his gift to her, he’d bring his palm back down as he once again looked for her eyes. No matter how much he wanted to trick her, he wanted to trick Kesser even more. Thinking they were going to sit idle was the best way to trick that idiot. Plus, there was a high chance that Kavala could be tricked later on.
Wikus
It burns when I pee!

Words: 377704
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2015, 9:48 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)

Previous