Solo Fishy Stakes

[Job]Ascen serves as guard for a party

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Fishy Stakes

Postby Ascen on September 12th, 2016, 12:27 am

Fall 12th, 516 AV

The days has been getting back to normal for Sunberth as the mourning sensation seems to be less noticeable according to Ascen’s eyes. Being at No-Man’s Land Tavern seems to be a safe haven of sorts for no one tries to start a fight under Carston’s careful watch. In truth neither would Ascen want to tangle with Carston for Ascen gets the mental image that Carston could break Ascen in half. Besides, Ascen considers Carston a friendly ally at least and even has earned the privilege of calling him Hammer. As for the others, Ascen isn’t exactly sure for there are times when the customers are seemingly watching and observing other people’s activities, but nothing much else has happened in the past three days.

Unfortunately, word has gotten around amongst the Daggerhands about what Ascen had done to their members the other night. Only reason why Ascen has figured that part out aside from common sense is that the Daggerhands in this tavern tends to look the other way or frown at him. Basically they’re giving Ascen the cold shoulder, but in truth Ascen has no problem with it. For the whole reason that Ascen retaliated in the first place was to protect himself. But there’s no telling what those guys he dealt with had told the rest of Daggerhands about Ascen’s actions.

Ascen can be found scanning the job board that has quite a few papers pinned on the board. Some of the papers were actually too illiterate for Ascen to read so he doesn’t even try to decipher those papers. Simply because he didn’t want to get a headache before he even accepted a job. Eventually his eyes catch the sight of a particular paper that looked like it might have been stained with some liquid. The only thing that he could see was the word “guard” and Ascen reached up to pull the paper down from the board to get a better look at the contents. Apparently the owner of the Drunken Fish, Father Manowar, is planning to throw a party sometime this evening and is requesting someone of weapon training and knows how to look out for trouble in crowds to be a bouncer/guard of sorts.

Ascen folds up the paper as he walks over to the counter where Hammer was located at while offering a friendly smile. “Found a job you like Ascen?” Carston asked as he was wiping down the counter with a once clean rag. Ascen would nod his head in agreement while unfolding the paper to show to Carston. “Think this job is still open for takers?” Of course the big guy simply shrugged his shoulders on Ascen’s question. Though it cause Carston to raise a brow after reading the contents of the job. “Nobody has to come to me about it, so the job’s all yours. Be careful over there though.” Carston tells Ascen who nods his head in agreement. “Don’t worry, i’ll be careful. It’s just down the street from here, so it’s not that far. But i’ll see you later Hammer.” On that note, Ascen made his departure from the No-Man’s Land Tavern and began his journey down the dusty old street.
Secret :
Ascen Reputation Points Faction Title
Citizens 0
Daggerhands -11 Annoyance
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Words: 121082
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2016, 10:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fishy Stakes

Postby Ascen on September 13th, 2016, 12:04 am

Ascen somewhat took a shortcut by walking through the Slums for only a few chimes. It was strangely not as lively with activity as Ascen pictured it would be, but he wasn’t going to complain for it meant less chances of encountering something in the streets. Still, Ascen’s thoughts couldn’t help but become concerned with the path that Ascen is taking here in Sunberth. So far he’s taken only the first step into making his presence known in this city. Ascen is also aware that no matter what happens there’s always going to be an upside with one faction and a downside with another.

Upon reaching the Drunken Fish tavern Ascen dismissed his thoughts for he was focusing on the present and not on the past. The faint smells of booze and odors mixed together could be detected from where Ascen was standing. To be honest it almost caused him to gag from the odor itself rather than the smell of booze. But he swallowed not only the stomach contents Ascen also swallowed his pride. Mostly because he knows that he can’t be picky with his jobs in Sunberth.

Ascen pushed himself forward to walk into the tavern only to be greeted by a loud boom of a cheer and laughter. Even though it was roughly the fourteenth bell these people were already drowning their mouths with ale and mead alike. Ascen had to nearly step on the tips of his toes in order to get a clearer view of the tavern. There were quite a few men dressed only in trousers and pairs of well worn boots. Ascen can only assume that some of these men are actually sailors that came from the docks, but he can’t seem to find the man he is looking for.

“What can aye do for ye kid?” A voice spoke up from the midst of the crowd as sitting at one of the bar stools at the counter was a big man with a massive stomach and has a grin on his cherry red face. Ascen assumed that the guy was talking to him for the man was looking at Ascen’s direction and raised his head over the crowd. So Ascen weaves through the crowd of men and actually some lasses as well. Which kind of surprised Ascen for he didn’t think the Drunken Fish be the kind of place for women to be in. But that’s what Ascen gets for stereotyping genders and luckily he simply learnt something new thanks to his open-minded self.

Eventually Ascen reached over to the big guy as he wanted to get close enough to strike a conversation without having to yell across the room. “I’m looking for the owner of this place named Father Manowar. I got a request from him that was on the job board back at No-Man’s Land.” Ascen was caught a bit off guard as the guy suddenly burst into laughter before gesturing to himself. “Yer lookin’ at him kid. The party hasn’t exactly started yet, but that’s okay because aye can give ye the rundown of what you’re supposed to watch over mainly.” With that being said, Manowar hops down from his stool and motions for Ascen to follow in the direction to get upstairs. Mostly because it is quieter up there than it is down here.
Secret :
Citizens 0
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fishy Stakes

Postby Ascen on September 13th, 2016, 4:19 am

Walking up the case of stairs to the upper floors actually doesn’t really help the sounds that much. For even up here Ascen can still hear the roaring laughter. Upon reaching up to the second floor, Ascen sees the barmaids and a couple of other men ordering drinks and such. “This floor generally doesn’t have much activity, so ye shouldn’t have much to worry about it up here. Just in case though, make sure to come up here occasionally at least to keep this place checked.”

Marowar spoke to Ascen as he was scratching his scruffy chin. Ascen simply nods his head in agreement before Marowar turned his head to look over his shoulder at Ascen. “Aye hope ye got the strength for the night. These men can sometimes become a wild beast around ‘ere. Gotta know how to pin them down without hurting either of them preferably. If ye do have to hurt them though, make sure to take them outside so they don’t destroy meh bar.” To be frank Ascen is mentally struggling to decipher the weird wordings this man says sometimes. Ascen is used to the mild version with his company, but not to this extent. “So if they get too rough then toss them outside. Got it. Is there anything else in particular I should look out for?”

The big man simply clapped Ascen on the shoulder which honestly almost made Ascen fall to the ground if he hadn’t recovered his footing on time. “Loosen up mate. Ye sound like a professional or somethin’. Other than them sailors coming in just keep an eye out for the Daggerhands. They tend to start fights, and aye would like to keep those fights to the minimal as possible. Not saying they can’t come into the party, but if they try to start somethin’ then toss them out.” Ascen keeps those things in mind, though loosening up during his job is something that he probably can’t do. Mostly because Ascen’s mindset refuse to let his guard down especially on a job.

“Yes sir. I’ll try my best to keep your bar clean of fights as much as possible.” Ascen replied while lightly rubbing the spot on his shoulder where Marowar clapped him at. Even though this guy was big with a big belly, Ascen would surely hate to pick an arm wrestling match with this guy. Probably not as bad as it would be if Ascen tried with Hammer, but it’ll be close enough Ascen assumes. “Great, now come on and grab yerself a mug of ale! Its best to be merry and joyful in life anyways.” Marowar practically ordered Ascen to drink, but it wasn’t exactly in Ascen’s best interest to drink in the first place. However Ascen also realized that it would be disrespecting to the owner if he didn’t get at least one mug of ale.
Secret :
Citizens 0
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fishy Stakes

Postby Ascen on September 14th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Ascen makes his way back down to the first floor where he was immediately greeted by a drunken sailor. At first Ascen thought the guy was going to attack him, but Ascen read both the body language and the expression. Which resulted that this guy didn’t mean any harm as the sailor wrapped one hairy arm around Ascen’s shoulders while holding onto a mug of ale in the other. “Thizz guy right shere doesn’t have a mug! Marowar! Bring this man a drink!” Ascen was practically straining to decipher what the man was saying for this guy was too drunk to stand still even on both feet. Marowar simply shrugged his broad shoulders at the drunkard as he steps down from the final stair and snaps his fingers at one of the barmaids. “Get this man a mug of ale.”

The barmaid possessed strawberry blonde hair that was pulled up in a messy bun as she looked rather uptight if not tired. It was near the next shift for the barmaids, so Ascen guessed it was only natural for the exhaustion. Nonetheless, the barmaid went over to the counter to fill up a mug with ale and comes back to hand it over to Ascen. The young lad takes the mug in his hands and reaches into his pocket with the other before realizing that he forgot to take some copper rimmed mizas. All he has was the same four silver rimmed mizas he had the other night. So, Ascen brings out one silver miza and hands it to the barmaid. “Sorry, but i forgot about the coppers earlier. I hope this would cover a couple of my drinks.”

The ginger barmaid looked a bit surprised at the silver rimmed for she honestly expected just the standard four copper rims. Still she nods her head in agreement before speaking to him for once. “I’ll go get your change.” Basically telling him not to move anywhere as she proceeds back over to the counter for a moment. Then she walks back over to Ascen and hands him two copper rimmed mizas. It may not be much, but Ascen gets the vague assumption that she’s trying to earn a little bit of respect from somebody. Probably from Marowar Ascen is certain, for her hazel eyes shifted over to Marowar for a mere second before shying away from them.

“So where are ye from kid?” Marowar asked the lad before Ascen could take a gulp of the ale. Meanwhile the drunkard seems to have taken a fancy with the ginger and followed her to the counter. At least Ascen is away from him since that guy is most likely going to do something crazy soon. “Born to or where i’ve traveled from recently?” Ascen responded with a question of his own to clarify of what Marowar meant. “Where ye have traveled from recently kid?” Marowar corrected his question almost repeating it. Luckily he seems to be a reasonable guy, even if he was possibly drunk. “Well i’ve traveled from Zeltiva after coming from an expedition to the Wildlands. Lovely place Zeltiva was, but i don’t think the sea is for me to be honest. I like to keep my feet on the ground.”
Secret :
Citizens 0
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fishy Stakes

Postby Ascen on September 18th, 2016, 10:07 pm

The crowd of the Drunken Fish grew larger and larger by the bell. As the glorious sun sets down to the horizon, more and more people draws inside the warming embrace of the Drunken Fish. Still, Ascen does his job by looking over at who enters the tavern and who leaves from the tavern. All while staying at the bar stool he’s sitting at with the mug of ale still in his hands. Occasionally Ascen would take a small gulp of it, but not enough to get him even a little bit tipsy.

‘Perhaps i am a bit too uptight when it comes to my job, but it’s something i can’t really help.’ Ascen thought to himself as his watchful eyes scan over the mass of seafarers and other ruffians alike. A lot of them seem to be carrying weapons, though most seafarers seem to carry a common item that is a large knife with a bone handle. There was even one knife Ascen caught sight of that had a bunch of fishbones mold into a hilt with a mild shine to it. Ascen can only assume at this point on those knives are actually used for utility purposes and not for cutting purses or throats for that matter.

Ascen takes another small gulp of his ale before casting his eyes into his mug and noticed that the tankard was three quarters gone by now. Then again, it has been roughly three bells since he received this first mug of ale so it’s lasting the lad for a good bit than the other sods are downing their drinks. Marowar was actually talking with a group of other sailors and even a lass in the midst. Though Ascen managed to catch wind over the roar of laughter and muttering that the lass was actually a captain of some ship that he couldn’t quite catch. Then again she was certainly dressed better than the other sailors with her dark blue leather trench coat and a rather cleaned white blouse underneath the coat.

“‘ave ye ‘eard that lad who swindled them Daggerhands yet?” One of the ruffians was speaking to his drinking partner that was also sitting at the counter that’s only a couple of bar stools away from Ascen. The drinking partner had long dreadlocks with an heavily unkempt beard and Ascen almost mistook him to hail from Kenash. “No i ‘aven’t, but i bet ‘e is dead somewhere by now.” However the ash blonde haired male shook his head in disagreement. “Oh no, it’s actually a bit worse than dying. ‘E got his own ‘ands chopped off and was left to wander outside on the streets with a sack hood on his head. Couldn’t take it off, but luckily someone managed to save ‘is life.”

This bit of information peeked Ascen’s interest and while he wasn’t looking at their direction Ascen was definitely paying attention to their conversation. Dreadlocks actually made an expression as if to say a silent “ouch” and rubbed his greasy palms together. “Aye can’t imagine what life is going to be like for that kid. Without ‘ands it’s really ‘ard to do anything or to defend yerself with.” Ascen found himself nodding in agreement, though he also has a second opinion about that, but Ascen is going to choose to keep it to himself as he briefly covered his face with the raised mug of his. Downing the last bit of his ale and sets the mug on the counter.

No sooner did that mug hit the counter the same waitress from before comes up behind him and sets the second mug full of ale down on the counter before taking the empty mug away. She briefly smiled at Ascen before shyly disappearing in the mass of people. Ascen gave the waitress a nod as his silent way of thanking her before wrapping his fingers around the clay mug and lifts it up from the counter. Now entering the tavern was a rowdy group of Daggerhands and the moment Ascen laid eyes on them a frown appeared on his face. The two men at the counter near Ascen suddenly went quiet and turned their gaze at the bottom of their mugs. However there was one peculiar sight that Ascen didn’t expect to see so soon.

Amongst the group of Daggerhands was that same bald man from the other night who tried to mug Ascen for everything he owned. Though something tells Ascen that Baldy doesn’t know that Ascen is here for he seems to be more carefree and laughing his arse off. Accompanying Baldy was three other Daggerhands. Two looked about average in build wise and looked like they know how to use a butter knife better than anyone with etiquette. The third one looked much like a bodybuilder of sorts that carries a mace hanging from the belt. Of course this guy doesn’t possess the same or similar body structure and muscle mass as Hammer does. Still Ascen wouldn’t want to dance with him for a contest of strength.

Unfortunately, this group of Daggerhands had to come for the counter area to order their drinks and in truth Ascen was trying his best to blend in with the crowd. Although it was kind of hard to blend in when there’s no room to blend at. Once the group reached over to the counter and ordered their drinks Baldy happened to look around just to get a view of the place. The mere fact that Ascen didn’t hide that well to begin with was a big negative factor on Ascen’s part, but the other factor is that Ascen left Baldy shivering in fear last time to where Ascen’s face was burnt into the man’s mind. Basically Ascen was easy to spot by Baldy and the moment he saw Ascen the guy tapped the big guy next to him before pointing at Ascen’s direction.

“That’s the guy who threatened me the other night!” Baldy had to say it loudly too and got everyone’s attention focused on the Daggerhands. Only to redirect their attention over to Ascen who simply closed his eyes as a sigh escapes from his lips. Ascen turned his head over to the Daggerhands and noted that all four of them were giving Ascen glares and snarls. “I believe you also forgot the small detail of you trying to take my clothes off. I’m sorry, but i didn’t know you were into those kind of pants mate.” Ascen utilized a small bit of the Sunberth’s accent with the last word. Now everyone is looking back at the Daggerhands while the other three were actually looking back at Baldy.

Uncertainty clouded Baldy’s expression as he was stumbling for the right words to say at the moment. Before Baldy could respond Ascen followed up with another statement. “Even though i did try to give you a silver miza to cover up the trouble, you didn’t want just that now did you?” Baldy’s face was red with humiliation and fury for even Baldy knows that Ascen just put him at a tight spot. No matter what Baldy had said, majority of the people would simply take Ascen’s word to be the truth. Which he is speaking the truth and twisting the small details such as the motives.

But it wouldn’t have been in Baldy’s favor either. The other three Daggerhands chuckled in amusement of the events transpired for even they are waiting for Baldy’s reply. Eventually Baldy responded with a voice of anger directed at Ascen. “Your clothes of all things would have been more valuable than a silver miza! I mean look at that shirt! I pretty sure he spent a good copper for it!” Ascen raised his brow before looking down at his linen shirt to see for himself. Sure it was in decent condition and it might be in better condition than Baldy’s own shirt. “Um… i’m not sure where you got educated at, but a silver is worth more than a copper. This is just a simple shirt that you can get for a fair price of 4 coppers at best. That’s about it though.”

Honestly at this point Ascen was starting to get worried that Baldy might bust a vein with as red of a face as he’s making. At this point Ascen felt like he poked enough fun for the day and everyone is finding this rather amusing. “Look, i’m pretty sure you and your friends had a tiring day. So why not just relax and have a drink?” Ascen suggested to the four hoping to quell any bad intentions. Luckily the other three Daggerhands didn’t seem all that interested with Baldy’s situation and simply went back into drinking to their heart’s content.

Baldy frowned once more before grumbling to himself and drinks the entire mug filled ale. Ascen took a small gulp of his ale as well, and the party went back into motion while Ascen make his way over to the back wall area. The rest of the night was spent observing the people from the back wall and making sure no one got too rough. Occasionally Ascen heads upstairs to make sure everything was fine upstairs as well. Once everything checked out Ascen came back downstairs to keep watch on the people.

It was at the fourth bell of the morrow when the party finally ended and majority of the bartenders and waitresses are cleaning up the place as best as they can. Ascen had actually finished his mug of ale for quite some time, but he kept it in his hands until the party went over. Then he went over to the counter and placed his empty mug on the surface for them to clean as well. Only to get clapped on the shoulder by Marowar who was chuckling for some reason unknown to Ascen. “So ye had a bit of a bad record on ye already?” Marowar asked as he was referring to the Daggerhands. Ascen simply nodded his head in agreement before responding. “Something like that. Currently it’s just with a few people, but i have a feeling that’s going to increase the longer i stay here.”

Marowar raised a brow before speaking up in a rather decent indoor tone. “Yeah ain’t that the truth for everyone. Still that could’ve gone a lot worse and i wouldn’t have liked it if someone i hired to be a guard was the one causing the fights.” Ascen understood where Marowar was coming from as he recalls that one time during Ascen’s expedition with the Silver Hand to Riverfall. Things got bad with an acquaintance of Ascen’s who was a bouncer to the local tavern before getting thrown out himself. “I like to avoid fights especially when i’m on a job. Though sometimes it seems to be inevitable.” Marowar seemed to be agreeing to that almost as if he was silently saying that he could relate to Ascen’s words. “Ye, well at anyroad, ye did yer job well. Nice to see that there’s still people such as yerself out there as an outsider. Let me see that paper of yers kid.”

Ascen reached inside of his pocket to bring out the slip of paper that contained the job description and handed it over to Marowar. Who grabs a quill and ink right quick before writing down some scribbles that’s more or less a signature of Marowar’s. “Just so that yer job has been completed and can show as proof to yer superiors or whatever ye call them.” Marowar gives a short explanation before handing Ascen back the paper. That would have been troublesome to provide proof for the job’s completion. Ascen takes the paper back and bids them all farewell for the night and proceeds to make his way over to the No-Man’s Land Tavern.

It didn’t take Ascen more than ten chimes to get back into No-Man’s Land and be welcomed by the warm smells of breakfast. In truth Ascen was hungry and tired for being up so late and being so active for so long too. His eyes were aching even though there was little light for the creeping darkness lingers over the streets. Even so Ascen sees Hammer prepping up the bar area and the waitresses that he can see was setting down the chairs. While Ascen was dead tired everyone was already starting their days. “You look like you have been wrestling with a boar. I didn’t take you for a morning person friend.” Hammer spoke up to Ascen as he wore the expression of concern.

“Something like that only i’ve not slept yet. Here’s the slip for the job’s completion Hammer.” Ascen had approached the bar and hands Hammer the signed job paper before sitting on one of the bar stools. Only to bury his face on the counter and using both of his arms as a pillow. Hammer looked the paper over and nods his head in agreement before setting it back down. “That’s the second job you’ve done so far. Have you thought of working anywhere in particular yet?” Hammer asked as he went back into wiping out the goblets and mugs. Ascen raised his head slightly to rest his chin on top of his left wrist. “At the moment? No i haven’t looked into it yet. I’ve thought about it though.”

Hammer raised his brow while assessing Ascen’s capabilities for a moment. “Well, you seem to have a talent for settling not only feuds, but also avoiding trouble from what i hear. Seems like better luck than most outsiders get recently.” Hearing Carston speaking of what talents and luck that Ascen possesses gets him thinking of what job should he take. It would help a great deal to earn some money while he’s here, but Ascen’s goal was to look for his father who disappeared. Ascen figured that if he took these random jobs and earning a name for himself Iulor would have come out of the shadow and talked to him or give Ascen a sign of some sort.

Secret :
Paid 8 Copper for the two mugs of ale
Secret :
Citizens 0
Night Eyes +7 Stranger
Vigilantes 0
The Quarter 0
Slavers 0
Sun's Birth 0
Ascen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fishy Stakes

Postby Aladari Coolwater on December 27th, 2016, 5:30 am

Grades on Hold.
Player PM'd

Seeing as you've been absent for two months, I've put this grade on hold. If you do come back, please PM me and I'll get you your grade.
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3