Solo Setting the Foundation

Garland requests some land to start the foothold in Falyndar for the knights

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Setting the Foundation

Postby Garland on February 4th, 2018, 3:39 am

20th Winter 517AV

Garland had met Randal several days before, it seemed that even though Syka is in uncharted and dangerous land, guards and warriors aren't in great demand, but carpenters and worksmiths are.

The town's buildings were well made and there were quite a lot for considering how old the town was from what Garland knows.

This was vastly different to Syliras in every way, the sound of rowdy people on the road, hawking and hauling their wares was replaced by the sound of waves at the beach and the sound of hammers nailing nails for the several buildings being built and raised up.

The smell of sweat and grime and pollution from the city was replaced by the smell of the ocean, not like the salty, fishy smell of the docks back home but fresh air mixed with the salt water. This was refreshing, but there was no place like home, and Garland was feeling a bit homesick.

Garland had a mission, a stupid mission considering he was just one man, but he was sent to Syka, a strange and unexplored land, to establish a foothold in Falyndar region of the world.

Garland thought that instead of expanding they should make sure their neighbors that worship the dark god, Rhysol, wasn't up to something or at least had more defenses in place, the only reason why these two weren't at war was because the wilds between them were too dangerous for large armies to go through, by the time one reaches the other, half of their forces would be dead and the other half killed by the defenders.

Still, he may be a squire, but he was still a soldier, and soldiers follow orders. So Garland was here in Syka, now he actually needed to do what he was sent here to do, as much as he wanted a vacation of him just getting a tan on the beach, he can't do that, at least not yet.

He went over to find Randal, the only founder of this place he knew. The man in question was busy taking a break from his long hard days of building and taking care of animals with a drink while he was busy maintaining some sort of smooth piece of wood.

Garland waved hello to the man and he waved back. "Garman right? What can I do for you?"

"It's Garland, and I was wondering if there was a parcel of land that's still available." Garland asked and sat down beside him.

"Of course, there's plenty of land to go around, but we ain't just giving it to any old bloke off the boat, what are yer plans for it?" Randal asked, it seemed like he was asked this question a lot before.

"Well, I serve the Syliran knights and they ordered me to get some sort of foothold in Falyndar, so probably some sort of compound for when they do pull their heads out of their asses and send me some manpower." Garland said, half-jokingly.

In truth, he was a bit peeved at that he's sent here, a bit like a vacation but not actually a vacation. At least he doesn't have to patrol the city, it was just dull and frankly the worst Garland had to deal with(except for the exploding gate) was a tea thief.

"Haha! You're a funny one, but unless this little compound of yours helps the town in any way, I can't give it to ya." Randal replied before returning his attention to his drink and his strange board thing.
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Setting the Foundation

Postby Garland on February 4th, 2018, 5:53 am

Garland placed his hand on his chin, thinking what could his little outpost help the town.

The town doesn't have any enemies and you could see just about anything out at the sea, so a watch tower wasn't really needed.

"Does Syka have a place that trains people in combat?" Garland asked, he was a relatively good teacher in fighting, and by the looks of it there wasn't any other martial tutors in the town.

Randal shook his head, but wasn't really paying that much attention to Garland. "We don't have that around here, not much need for it right now. Besides there's plenty of open space, not much need for a dedicated space to hit each other, you can do that anywhere." Randal flashed a toothy smile at Garland before he returned to his break.

Garland wasn't so sure that it wasn't needed, it's true that there aren't a lot of people here and he doubt that there are any bandits in the dangerous woods, but the fact that there is a very dangerous wilderness right outside the town was a cause for concern.

It seemed that Syka had most of the basics covered, homes were plentiful for the size of the population, there was a stable economy and market place at the moment, there wasn't a blacksmith here, but he didn't really know how to forge anything, he barely knows how to build a chair. "Sure, but how much can one learn by just hitting each other. They need a teacher and a place to teach, and I'm willing to be that teacher. The jungles can be a very dangerous place and there's only so much you can avoid, sometimes you have to fight off the animals and monsters, don't you agree?"

"Well, you do have a point there, Gar." Randal paused, thinking it through. "Any place you have in mind?"

"Umm... East of the Ranchos, plenty of open space, close to the beach where falling wouldn't hurt as much and plenty of woods north for temporary range practice." Garland said, he had a little wander around before, as peaceful as Syka is,it is kinda boring compared to Syliras,and you could only drink so much before it gets stale and you become an alcoholic and be a terrible influence on your kids.

Garland hoped he'd be approved, he didn't really have anywhere else for his so-called outpost or foothold or whatever they wanted to call it. Garland looked over to Randal, hoping to read his expression, he seemed to be considering it, his brow was furrowed and he frowned.

"Well, I think you're good to go, have to tell the others though. Will you still be around as a carpenter while you get your little training area set up?" Randal said with a smile.

"For now, until I actually get some gear to train people with." Garland had not met the other two founders of this place but from what he could tell, they're good people. "Well, Mind if I take a look around the plot?"

"Knock yourself out. If you need me, I'll be here or surfing the waves."

With that, Garland left to go to his plot of land. Huh, in Syliras you had to fill out a lot of forms to get a small house, but he guessed that there isn't much need for that here, and besides, what the heck are they gonna do with paperwork here anyway?
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Setting the Foundation

Postby Garland on February 6th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Garland unsheathed his sword and looked at the grass, eyes just gazing over the patches here and there. Then he looked at his sword in contemplation.

"No, what am I doing? That's stupid." He said and sheathed his sword and started walking around his little plot of land. He started picking up stones, and started placing them where he thinks buildings would go.

"Ugh... Why am I doing this? I'm no architect or engineer or whatever, I just make really unreliable chairs..." He said before trailing off and mumbling to himself while he took out a blank notebook and looked at the first page.

It seemed like Phobos had drawn a few crude drawings of ships and fishies. "Aww that's adorable." He said and flipped the page, and took out a quill. "Oh petch..." He cursed and placed the book on the ground and took out a full inkwell.

He placed the inkwell on the ground and removed the cork and dipped his quill into the deep dark liquid and started making a very very rough outline of his plot of land.

Garland started marking out the area, five acres of land of land isn't really all that big, but for one man, it's pretty huge. Garland looked up and then gazed southward, noting the beach near him.

"Sand... good for sparing there, the sand would soften throws..." He noted and wrote 'beach' at the bottom of his little notebook. Garland... hasn't actually written anything in a long time...

Maybe even years now that he thought about it... The reports he had to do, he usually let pages do it, since what else was he going to let them do? The older ones, he could teach a bit of swordplay or unarmed combat, but he couldn't really teach the younger ones much.

Some couldn't even lift up a training sword, let alone actually use it in combat, so when he had to look after them or train them, he usually would let them write his reports or train their strength.

He was sure some of the pages hated him, then again, pages should just learn the basic knowledge before tackling swordplay or combat. Garland believed that a smart mind with a mediocre body can beat an idiot with the perfect body.

Garland then turned his head north, seeing the jungle and trees. The land north would make a good range, maybe removing some of the trees for the range. He wasn't very good with ranged weaponry and he'd be terrible at teaching it, if he was going to make his own training center he would need to learn ranged fighting or find someone else to train people in bows

"This reminds me... I'm should be careful with my crossbow bolts, don't want to import bolts for double the price..." He said and scribbled on the top of the notebook 'Acherty Archery Range'.

"Right... then east, going to the town, I need a shed to store weapons... then in between the range and the sparring pit is the main building where... umm... stuff goes... what do I need a main building for? Indoor training for when it rains? Yeah sure, let's go with that, then west... training dummies. Why am I talking to myself?" He said as he finished writing down the areas of his land. There was still a lot of empty space.

"Watch tower, more training dummies, a few more sparring pits, maybe an obstacle course? Ehh... I'll thinking about it later." Garland said and closed the book, slamming it shut and smearing the wet ink on the next page of the book unknowingly.

"I'm thirsty... I need a drink."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Setting the Foundation

Postby Avela on March 24th, 2018, 3:45 am

Garland

XP Award:
  • Negotiation - 1
  • Planning - 2
  • Drawing - 1

Lore:
  • Syka: Carpenters and worksmiths are more important than warriors
  • Garland: Homesick for Syliras
  • Syka: Not big on paperwork
  • Plans for the training compound

Notes:

A nice little thread! I'm excited to see the compound when it gets up and running. Let me know if you think there's anything I missed, and don't forget to edit or delete your grade request!

Template by Sevaan
(•̀o•́)ง

~Avela~
Avela
Player

Words: 95329
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1