Question about cities and new characters

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Postby Kyle Tomva on March 9th, 2018, 1:19 pm

I'm new here, and still working on making my character, but I've hit a wall. I want my character to be somewhat of a wanderer, not living in a particular city and having a house there. Could someone help me work this out?
Kyle Tomva
The Rogue

Words: 792
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2018, 4:18 pm
Race: Kelvic

Postby Prophet on March 9th, 2018, 1:27 pm

What you're asking is doable but takes a very specific set of skills plus the ability to make money. The basics would involve traveling with some kind of caravan between cities since mizahar, as a world, is too dangerous for loners. As a new player, you lack the skills to survive without help and everyone must make money because it's a rule of the game put in place for fairness. Find a general region where you wish to anchor your adventures and then contact the local ST. That is my advice.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 818170
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kyle Tomva on March 9th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Maybe I should clarify. My character is a traveler, but because of the way things go he'd stay around a general location/city, just not have a set house in that place. Does that change your advice?
Kyle Tomva
The Rogue

Words: 792
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2018, 4:18 pm
Race: Kelvic

Postby Evarista on March 9th, 2018, 8:26 pm

You can cash in your starting house for 500 GM and stay at an inn instead. Rent is paid per day so it's perfect for travellers.

http://www.mizahar.com/lore/Price_list_(Taverns_and_lodging)
Evarista
Whose eyes are those eyes?

Words: 372771
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2016, 11:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Luminescence on March 9th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Evarista is correct; if you look at the page on Starting Packages, you will also notice that you are allowed to take a tent SP rather than a house SP if you like, meaning you would be able to move around.

Be advised, however, that some cities don't allow this. I would contact the ST of the specific city you're looking at for more information if this is what you want to do.

ST Posts: Tuesday & Thursday

Starting Guide The Lhavit Atlas Lhavit's OOC
Luminescence
Allow me to light the way

Words: 258160
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

Postby Prophet on March 9th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Riverfall does not allow people to stay in tents within the city or along its walls. I do believe there's a Knights' outpost but I do not know the ruling on tents there. Gossamer is the ST so ask her.

Gossamer also oversees Syka which is a budding jungle/beach settlement region. Traveling to and from the city is only accessible via ship from Riverfall. Again, contact her if you have questions.

Sunberth is run by Regime. It's a former mining town and has a lot of potential for what you seek but is also very dangerous.

Luminescence operates out of Lhavit. It's a coastal town that never sleeps and has as many cliffs and mountains as it does rivers and forests.

Alvadas is a city of illusions, home of the god of illusions; Ionu. Chameleon is the ST and could answer all of your questions.

I run Ravok. The city floats in the middle of a giant lake so tenting there is impossible. That beings said, there are several outposts which are between the lake and the wilderness where living out of a tent is very common.

So you see that there are many options especially when you consider that every city has some kind of inn. What I suggest at this point is to figure out how your character is going to afford traveling. There is a set cost in the price list that does not include living expenses which all PCs who are not slaves are required to pay every season. Figure out your meal ticket and it will likely point you in a direction for which city you wish to choose.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 818170
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Office
Scrapbook
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)