A question about ghosts and soulmist

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Postby Madeira Craven on March 16th, 2018, 6:47 pm

So, a spiritist can make soulmist to recharge a weakened ghost, right? But since ghosts are actually made of soulmist, does this mean they could attack each other and take their soulmist? Or would it have to be a voluntary thing- like a ghost martyr sacrificing its own health to bolster anothers? Or is it strictly living-to-dead transference?

I woke up in the middle of the night with this thought. But at 2am it was more along the lines of WOULDN'T GHOST CANNIBALS BE COOL rather than anything super coherent.
Madeira Craven
Ambition.

Words: 509580
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Gillar on April 2nd, 2018, 12:40 am

I think it would be possible albeit profoundly rare. Ghost's aren't normally drawn to one another and typically avoid or ignore other ghosts except in the case of the "mass hauntings". They are usually too focused and obsessed with certain leftovers from life or they are too scattered and crazed to really consider the idea of going after other ghosts for sustenance.

Also, a ghost's soulmist is nothing like the soulmist created by a living Spiritist. The fact that blood is needed in a Spiritist's created soulmist is the deciding factor in regards to overall quality. It provides the connection to life that the is so appealing to a ghost. For a ghost to take the soulmist of another ghost would be like a vampire drinking dead blood; there isn't really anything to it that is beneficial.

You mention the voluntary part of it. Since a Spiritist must voluntarily give created soulmist to a ghost, I would say that another ghost would also have to volunteer their soulmist to another ghost. But again, that type of soulmist is like eating moldy bread; it just isn't pleasant and would not be all that beneficial.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 957543
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Madeira Craven on April 2nd, 2018, 2:18 am

Makes sense. Thanks Gillar!
Madeira Craven
Ambition.

Words: 509580
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ambrosia Alar on April 3rd, 2018, 1:28 am

One thing that I was curious about (and maybe I ought to be asking in a separate thread) was the part of Materialization lore that says that a masterful ghost can regenerate soulmist with their touch (almost like a reverse dusting). I think this applies more to the living, but it seems if two ghosts were both materialized, they would be able to affect one another through materialization. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Ambrosia Alar
"The kid's got smiles for days."

Words: 159070
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Donor (1)