Ghosts & Skills

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Ghosts & Skills

Postby Prophet on April 29th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Or we compile a list of existing skills and create a willpower equivalency that way existing PCs don't have to start over.

Skills discussed in discord which would count towards WP were:

Meditation
Endurance
Persuasion
Negotiation
Summoning

Obviously, this list could be adjusted but the idea was that there would not be a countable skill like the others but something with four levels that would give players an idea of how they could react or combat things like possession and hypnotism.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 817421
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Ghosts & Skills

Postby Gillar on April 29th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Good ideas thus far. I originally considered Meditation being one of the more useful skills when determining mental defense against magics such as Hypnotism and Possession. As Meditation involves training one's mind to block outside stimuli and distraction, it could have the added effect of aiding in overall mental defense.

Endurance is indeed a physical skill but something I was kicking around was a Willpower or Resistance trait. This is a new trait that would not require characters to start over to have. All characters would start with said trait at a Competent level equal to 50 skill points. Children or the Elderly would have a Novice level equal to 25 skill points.

This would be a basic defense that can be improved through a few different methods. First, for those who have 2 gnosis marks from a single god (not multiple single marks) would have their Resistance upgraded to Expert 75 points. This represents the stronger connection one shares with a particular god and the fact that the person is gifted with a sliver of the god's power.

3 or 4 marks from a single god would upgrade the Resistance to Master 100 points.

Another method of enhancing Resistance would be through an average post count. This would acknowledge that some characters have been around a long time, seen a lot and experienced more than newer characters. An average post count is figured by taking the character's total post count and halving it. This is the best way I could think of to account for out-of-character posts not being a part of it. I would put the average total of 1,500 posts required to have an Expert 75 points in Resistance which would stack with the 2 or more gnosis marks from a single god to give Master 100 points.

Going back to specific skills that would offer defense against magic such as Hypnotism or Possession, Meditation of course would be useful although I don't agree with Endurance as it is too physical. Persuasion perhaps as well as maybe intimidation and possibly negotiation and maybe even torture; basically the skills that deal with manipulating others mentally or emotionally. Being adept in these types of skills allows one to not only know how to affect others but also how to defend themselves from those same skills.

Skills however I think would only become useful in contributing to the idea of Willpower at the higher levels since no single one skill is going to encompass all possible magical mental attacks. Plus, these are MAGICAL attacks and by their very nature to not fall under the types of things these skills are meant to address. In order to benefit from anything these skills may add, I would think that an Expert level or higher would be needed and they wouldn't stack with a natural Resistance/Willpower in the same way as the gnosis marks or post count would. Maybe they would add something like a couple points, per skill, starting at Expert, to the overall Resistance/Willpower trait. They would have an effect but it would be minimal; the idea being that anyone could power post these skills and become a Master in all of them in a relatively short amount of time.

I don't see Summoning as having a benefit in this as the before mentioned skills are what summoners would use to convince and or manipulate summoned creatures to obey them. The magic of summoning itself only summons a creature and creates a leash to hold them to the portal. While force of will allows control over the leash, it is still the negotiating skills of the summoner that allows them to manipulate the summoned creature itself.

While nothing is set in stone, my overall idea was to start everyone, new characters and old ones alike, with a basic defense against magic that effects the mind. Strength of Gnosis marks and overall worldly experience of a character enhances this defense while relevant skills may round it out a bit. By tying the biggest enhancements to gnosis marks and an average post count, it keeps some balance in that characters aren't going to quickly max out this defense.

Again, these are all just ideas at this point.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1039336
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Ghosts & Skills

Postby Prophet on April 30th, 2018, 1:31 am

I think that sounds very fair and relatively easy to track. My one argument would be that you can't discount endurance as purely physical. As someone who has worked extremely physical jobs, played sports and worked out on a regular basis, the drive to succeed or accomplish a task always starts in your mind.

Yes, endurance is defined as a physical skill but without mental fortitude, one would never try to push those physical bounds. That should, in my mind, count for something in the equation.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 817421
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Previous