PM to join A read by the sea (Kelski)

Vasin decides to take his book out for a read

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

A read by the sea (Kelski)

Postby Vasin on February 3rd, 2019, 5:16 pm

"Morphing Magic?" Vasin asked a raised eyebrow somewhat curious before shaking his head."Must have been rather the sight, but you probably didn't see it around here did you?" he said with a pause."On second thought, never-mind. If they are a friend of yours I wouldn't want to endanger them." he said not liking the idea of accidentally outing someone to Sunberth."But what were they like? I've heard stories about mages, and people around here don't take kindly to them. Never met one myself, in fact before you, I never met a Kelvic before." he said curiously if the stories were true about the Mages. He had heard about how terrible they were in the past of Sunberth, but never did he get any specifics. In Sunberth mages were bad, end of the story to most. But Vasin wasn't born here and had never been fully introduced to every custom Sunberth had to offer. Mostly street smarts when he was younger, stuff he had let fall dull in favor of a steady income at Goldfinger's.

"Details..." Vasin muttered looking back to the incomplete map."They certainly do matter. I like the idea of a detailed useful map more than an incomplete one. To know all the details about this place. To find the details people missed. Sort of like picking up a puzzle that someone else didn't finish. Picking up the pieces and figuring out where to start and where to end." he said with a small nod."The details are what drove them to circumnavigate these lands." he added liking the idea that details are what matter. Plus, details were not the easy way out. One could scribble some lines and call it a map. A poor map of course, but a detailed map was all the more useful. People were remembered for it, like the explorer in his book.

Vasin looked to Kelski as she had grabbed his arm, and looked to her and studied the words that came from her mouth."Hmm, I suppose? This place would be the last for anyone to look." he said thinking it over for a moment."But still, it would be incredibly dangerous to do so. Any mages here would be very good at hiding. I doubt they would care to meet with some debt collector who lives in the tent city." he said with a somewhat self-deprecating small laugh."It would be interesting to meet one, of course, hear their side and all that. But people here mage or not being paranoid." he added doubting one if they were here would risk meeting with a non-mage.

"For the longest time, yes, living in the now is what I did. I had to get my bearings, go day by day here. Wasn't easy, but now I don't really want to do that anymore. It's why I took up reading by the docks. But you know, I don't think I am ready just yet to go all the way out there." he said liking the idea of exploring, to plan for the future, but he wasn't exactly sure if he was ready or where to start."But... I do think that making maps here in Sunberth, seeing what else the city has to offer... That can be the right step in the direction." he said recalling their earlier conversation.

Vasin said nothing for a moment as if thinking over."Yeah, I think we can be friends." a smile starting to form on his face."Don't have many real friends here ya know? Most people like to keep others at a distance here and all that." he said most of his friends were either missing or from his work. Drinking buddies who found his ideas humorous at times."Friends are good to have, especially here." he added.
Vasin
Player

Words: 290557
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on February 17th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Kelski stared at Vasin a moment. She looked thoughtful, then carefully began to explain. “He was a warrior, really, this mage I’m talking about. An Akalak – one of those all male races and he was a beautiful soul. He lost his arm in a battle and learned the magic so he could use it to replace his arm because he felt less of a person without it.” The Sea Eagle said sadly. “He was a really good person though, but like all Akalak, they have a dark side and that side wasn’t so great. That side hated the side of him I knew because of the magic. They are a race that two souls share one body. And with two souls inside themselves… it’s complicated… their race is very different. They know about each other, what each other does, but in this man… one of his souls hated the other because of magic. He judged him and tortured him. He even waited until the soul that knew magic fell in love, married, then one night he strangled the other soul’s wife.” Kelski said softly, shaking her head.

“Mages get a very bad reputation, because people in the world are filled with hate and don’t care to take the time to get to know them or understand them.” The Kelvic said gently. “And I think they are all around us. You could be a mage, Vasin… or I could be one. Who would know unless they actually witnessed our magic?” She asked, settling in a chair opposite of him and watching his reaction. “Magic in itself isn’t a bad thing… it’s a tool like everything else. Do you blame the dagger if someone gets their throat slit by one? You blame the hand that wields it.” She used the example and shook her head thoughtfully. “There’s too much hate in the world already… most of it stems from humans and their need to dominate and control everything. This city is all about who holds power – and who can keep it. It’s who can stab someone before they themselves get stabbed. These maps are far more honest. They are either accurate or they are not and the easiest way to find out is to follow one.” She added studying the contents of the table, and glancing between the cartologist’s nightmare of incomplete maps and Vasin who seemed bound and determined to rectify the issues on each and every one of them.

Kelski sighed thoughtfully. “You are not the sum of your work, Vasin. A job is just a job, a way to bring in coin. It is not the whole of what defines you.” The Kelvic said carefully. She’d learned a long time ago when people were determined to be down on themselves, it was hard to make them see otherwise and often pointless. But with Vasin, she wanted to try. “Yea... people here are indeed paranoid. Even a person like myself.” She added, nodding thoughtfully. Kelski wasn’t about to let Vasin know she was a mage. It would be something he’d find out later, if they got to be truly friends like she wanted to be. And she was fairly sure he’d forgive her for the deception, for certainly even now as he pointed out he could see how it was necessary.

The Kelvic surveyed the maps on the table before them. There were maps of the city, the surrounding area, even some of the Mudway and how it stretched out into the wilds. She pushed one aside, the underground map near Baroque Bay and pulled out a small writing kit and blank book from her backpack. She then began to carefully copy the map down, deciding for now on settling on that one.

“I suggest…. “ She said thoughtfully, surveying the pile before Vasin. “… that you select a map – not all of them mind you – and copy it down. Then, start there… start trying to improve on it, add detail, and bringing it back and make notes or additions on the one you originally copied from. Start small, make small changes, and learn your chosen hobby as you go.” She added, offering him a smile. “I don’t have many real friends here either. It’s nice to have a new one.” She said as she began to meticulously copy the mine shafts and tunnels that seemed to run beneath Baroque Bay. They would come in handy later, when she decided to explore the city. She only hoped Vasin would be a good friend, one that didn’t ask to many questions and one that had an open mind when it came to a few things… things like magic.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Vasin on February 23rd, 2019, 10:55 pm

Vasin looked to Kelski and blinked as she told him about her Akalak friend."Wow..." he said rather simply with a blink someone surprised."That is a lot to go through..." he added with a pause not sure what else he could add to that."I know that people will sometimes rip one another throats out of hatred... But for the person who does that to be sharing a body? Puts the meaning of keeping your enemies close into a new perspective..." he said rubbing the back of his head a little."They still around?" he asked in a moment of both concern and curiosity. The way she had explained it, and the way she had described it, had allowed a modicum of concern for a person he had never met well up. Usually, in life those that threaten you are straight forward. At least, that is the way Vasin had been viewing it. A mugger who wants your purse, your rival at the workplace, or the man who owes your boss money. Outside threats, and yet this person he had never met lost so much more and to himself.

Vasin thought about what Kelski had said long and hard, a raised eyebrow at the way she had explained it. But he followed along none the less as she held her attention all while he stood there. He stroked his beard for a moment before giving a nod."I suppose you got a point." he said eyeing her over but didn't say anything."About magic and all that. It being a tool. Tools can be misused, or used by bad people." he added on with a brief pause."But me a mage? I don't know..." he said with a shrug not able to picture himself in pointy wizard hate and blue robes."But besides that, I think you are also right about this city. It's nothing but one massive power struggle, with people shanking one another in the back left and right. People have told me that Sunberth provides ultimate freedom. A place with no laws, and no kings and yet all I see is laws and kings. The laws of the street and gangs, and the leaders of those gangs as kings." he said with a sigh."It's all smoke and mirrors." he said with a shake of his head."But yeah maps are really black and white. It's as you said. All you have to do is follow one." he would say taking a seat and looking to the map."I fully intend to follow these and find out how honest they are." he said with a slight smile.

"For good reason for the most part. But that paranoia can get in the way of more important things." Vasin said with a slight nod."But, I'm glad that on this particular day you were not too paranoid. Would have been a different day had you not approached me. Been a different day had I been too paranoid as well." he said looking across the table at her shifting in his seat."Lots of people here judge people by looks. Decide what they are. Then they move on." he added explaining a bit of his reasoning from before.

"Hmm, good idea..." Vasin said as he surveyed the pile. Looking at the maps before them he spotted one of particular note."This one... Should be easy enough to hone in on." he said picking one of the southern approaches to the tent city. Some details were missing or were blurry in a way from what Vasin recalled. Vasin decided that this would be where he started. He would start small, manageable, and not get in over his head. Vasin smiled at what Kelski had said next."I'm glad to..." Vasin said rather happily as he sat across from his new friend. [/b] he added.
Vasin
Player

Words: 290557
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on February 24th, 2019, 1:55 am

Kelski shook her head. “No… they aren’t. He left two seasons ago. I haven’t seen either of them since. I… I wish they had stayed. He was… an incredible man and I think I could have liked his dark brother and maybe helped them… brought them together.” Kelski said softly, shaking her head. “There is too much hate in the world… too much judgement.” She whispered, still haunted by the Akalak and his dark brother. They had touched her life so deeply in such a short time. She wouldn’t ever forget them.

She couldn’t agree with Vasin more. Kings and laws. Sunberth was full of them. At least other cities were more honest in who ruled and what the laws were. Here, things changed frequently and lives mattered not at all. One had to be hard to survive. One had to be strong. She sensed potential in Vasin in both, though his hardness would be one of value driven integrity, not the need to abuse or maim before someone abused or maimed him. She liked that about him. He was, for all his size and the gruff beard, a gentle person inside… one of wisdom and curiosity. She meant what she said when she offered to come with him on short trips. She could never truly leave The Midnight Gem for long, but a few days would never hurt.

She nodded at the sense he made of his words on the day and their level of paranoia being optimal. The smile on her face brightened and she rose then, carefully tucking away the notebook that she’d been using to copy the underground map she’d found into it. Then she circled around to where the big man sat, studying his chosen map, and abruptly hugged him from behind in a strong brief hug of affection. “I’m glad we are friends. I’m glad to have met you, Vasin. We should get together more… go explore.” She said, planting a kiss on the top of his head near the crown of his skull. It was spontaneous, affectionate, and unfettered. Then she turned, decidedly heading for the doorway as if she had to leave.

“I live in The Midnight Gem out on the edge of the Baroque Bay where the Mudway flows into the Sea. Come visit sometime. We have meals at sunset daily and all sorts of people are often there. You’d like the company.” She added, knowing everyone at The Gem would like him… even The Gem itself. She started towards the passageway that lead to the hall and ultimately back out to the entrance. But she paused at the door. “I need to get going. I have a ton of work to do tonight and some deadlines to have projects crafted by the morning. A Jeweler’s work is never done.” Kelski said softly.

Then she hesitated and threw him a bit of a smile, her face striking an expression that one would be hard pressed to tell if she was serious or joking. “There are all kinds of miracles in the world. Who knows… maybe some day you will let me teach you how to fly so you can more easily go explore the way you want to do. I wouldn’t have a problem doing so. I know you would love it. And my Akalak friend would absolutely approve.” She said gently before vanishing through the doorway before he could follow.

He could hear the soft pad of her black leather kidskin boots taking her up the hall and ultimately the opening and closing of the main door right after a brief word of goodbye to the resident librarian.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on March 6th, 2019, 3:11 am

G R A D E S
Vasin

Research +5, Socialization +5, Observation +5, Teaching +3, Philosophy +5, Disguise +1, Logic +2, Investigation +5, Planning +3, Interrogation +5, Arcanology +2, Rhetoric +4

Book: The Contents Of The Circumnavigation Of Mizahar By Kenabelle Wright, Kelski: Mannerisms & Appearance, Kelski: Loves to Read, Sunberth: Has a Library – Its Location & Appearance, Kelski: Has An Accent, Remmy: Owns The Library, Remmy: Appearance and Mannerisms, Stumble Alley: Location/Appearance, Stumble Alley: Daggerhands control it, Disguise: Looking Bored, Library: Where Maps & Diagrams Are, Map: Known Shafts And Tunnels Below SB, SB: As Mapped From Above, Kelski: Kelvic Sea Eagle, Kelski: Habits Scouting City, Sastiva: Works For Goldfinger, Sastiva: Hand to Hand Combat Expert, Planning: Adjusting/Updating Maps, Planning: Learning Mapmaking, Planning: Exploring SB Above/Below/Wildlands Around, Morphing: Can Change Your Shape, Kelski: Loves To Fly, Kelski: Wants To Be Friends, Kelski: Thinks Magic is like a dagger and wielded as a tool not evil itself, Kelski: Lives At The Midnight Gem/Owns It

Kelski

Interrogation +1, Rhetoric +5, Leadership +3, Philosophy +5, Research +5, Investigation +5, Logic +2, Teaching +5

Vasin: Mannerisms & Appearance, Book: The Circumnavigation of Mizahar – What It Is About, Kennabelle Wright : Author of TCofM/Captain, Library: Where Maps & Diagrams Are, Map: Known Shafts And Tunnels Below SB, SB: As Mapped From Above, Vasin: Plans For Exploring!, Vasin: Wants To Be An Explorer, Vasin: Works For Goldfinger, Vasin: Father Tried To Circumnavigate/Was Explorer, Vasin: Wants To Visit The Suvan Sea or Desperation Bay, Vasin: Take on SB “One big power struggle”

PM me with questions or concerns.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous