Completed Newcomer Barbeques Her Reputation V.2

A housewarming BBQ turns Svefran on Sym

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Newcomer Barbeques Her Reputation V.2

Postby Selene Curare on May 30th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Evening, Spring 61rst 520 A.V.

Her hips swayed and swung, hands rotating above her head at the wrists. She closed her eyes and swung her body around, a volatile volcanic explosion of movement. Yes, at least this is timeless, placeless, peopleless. I can understand and enjoy this, Selene smiled swaying gently to the music. The crowd was a wave of movement as they bobbed to Stu’s voice, the plucky instruments and the leaping pulsating woman.

But it didn’t last long, as the music developed it took on a jaunty drum heavy rhythm that was unfamiliar to the Sym and soon several people had gotten out of chairs and with bent knees, arched backs, and sassy hands they moved to the drums energetic thrum. Selene glanced around her searching for the comforting face of a friend and found Pelly had joined in the thumping dancing.

Selene sighed and retreated away from the group, sitting on the steps and wallowing in her “otherness”. A familiar voice cut through the ennui, “Come on little lass, don’t get discouraged.” Stu sat down beside her on the steps, getting down awkwardly, “Oof, sore legs, long day. Come now – what’s got you so down?” Selene stared at the crowd for a few moments, How does this man seemingly notice everything? He’s the life of the party and still notices every life IN the party! She was impressed, adding classiness to the list of characteristics she had associated with him.

“It’s just…very different from Kalinor,” Selene admitted, “The food, music, dance, chit chat. It’s all just a little different. I wish I had brought just a little bit more home with me so everything wouldn’t feel so….alien.” She rested her chin on her arms crossed between her knees and looked at Stu.

“You know why I like parties so much?” Stu asked after a few moments digesting her words.

“I couldn’t fathom.”

“Parties transcend all those differences. Everyone puts their guards down, and everyone just IS. The only goal, is the goal everyone shares, to have fun. I’m sure it’s different – but maybe you aren’t looking closely enough. You have to feel the rain on your skin, no one else can feel it for you. Only you can let it in. No one else, can speak the words on your lips. Live your life with arms wide open! Today is where your book begins! Let’s see, that girl dancing there, that’s Rainmere. She’s part Svefra, and has every bit of their love of dance and frivolity. She’s a kick up her heels kind of girl. I’m sure there’s someone like that back home, no?”

Selene nodded, “Sure,”

“And the man that told the story, that’s Lars Waska. You won’t see him outside of the Sawmill much. He’s a human from Riverfall and operates the mill that generates all the building supplies. He has some gnarly stories up his sleeves though if you can get any of his time. I’m sure there’s someone at home that’s like that – always busy, has a dark sense of humour?”

[ooc: Hehe had to throw a song reference in there :P]

Word Count: 503
Last edited by Selene Curare on May 30th, 2020, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selene Curare
Player

Words: 55555
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2020, 12:05 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Selene Curare on May 30th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Selene reflected on Kalinor, “Sure, my sister is like that. She’s always drowning in all the tasks she gives herself, and she’s quite partial towards dark humour. She’d tell us stories about what lurked in the depths of Kalinor when we were little so we wouldn’t wander too far.” Stu clapped Selene on the back, “Well there we go! See, Syka isn’t that different. Everywhere you go you’ll find the same characters; The gossip, the partier, the too-serious-for-his-own-good, and the air-head. People are unique because they’re just different flavours of the same thing, so don’t get too dismayed by all the differences here. I’m sure if you look a little harder, you’ll find some similarities.”

“Do you always do this? Try and make newcomers feel welcome?” Selene probed, feeling much refreshed.

Stu shrugged stroking his goatee, “A party isn’t a good party if everyone isn’t having fun. Come on, get up. Let’s dance!” He grabbed her hand, whisking her off the step. She stumbled on her wooden leg falling into his chest.

“Oh lookie lass, getting handsy already?” He chortled as he set her on her feet. Selene flushed and scowled as he led a jaunty frolic about the fire. Everyone joined as someone added more fuel, and soon people were leaping over the furniture, Stu’s energy so infectious that not a single person could resist and remain seated.

Her legs caught around themselves as she struggled to move her wooden leg in rhythm with the three working legs in the duo. “Not so fast! Not so fast!” She yelped as he lifted her by her waist, clear of the chair in their way. He laughed and set her down, grabbing Rainmere by her hips and whisking off again with the giggling girl in his arms.

Pelly was dancing with Ardein, the two trying to outdo each other by leaping up and clicking their heels as high as they could. The only person not joining in with the spinning besides Selene was a tall tanned human tapping his foot and rolling his shoulders with the music.

Selene sidled up to him, “Not joining in with all the leaping?” She broached, Maybe he’s new like me? she hoped.

“Not my type of thing,” He replied, without looking at Selene. He had every characteristic Selene didn’t like in human architecture, but that every female seemed to adore. His lips were plump and pouted and his jaw was sharp and sculpted. He had a broad face and a narrow nose with face of scratchy stubble. His black hair was swept back from his face.

“Mine neither, hard with a peg leg!” She joked, shaking her wooden leg. This time he turned to face her and offered a hand to the air. “Duncan, Duncan Citrine,” He introduced looking over her head.

“U-uhm, Selene” She introduced taking his hand in her thin clawed one very gently to avoid scratching him.

“Selene…” He waited for her last name.

Word Count: 492
Selene Curare
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Selene Curare on May 30th, 2020, 5:49 pm

I can’t introduce myself as Curare…it might spread and they can’t know where I am in Kalinor. They can’t find me, I only have to hide until she’s born…but I can’t introduce myself as Oceangem. Pelly might have introduced me as such to Stu…but I can’t accept a last name that isn’t Symenestran. I could pick a Symenestran last name to call myself…but would Pelly be offended… Her internal turmoil left an awkward silence between them for quite some time.

“Oceangem…” She finally relented, the claw of betrayal tightening around her throat so that the words came out choked.

“Huh…Svefra? You’re here with the visiting pod?” Her arm hadn’t felt like a strong muscled Svefran arm, but he didn’t want to pry too obviously into her business.

“Well no, I’m Symenestran. I came with the Oceangem pod. I’m with Pelly,” She stuttered out gazing into his eyes in confusion. What does he mean, Svefran? Is he asking if I identify as Svefran? Maybe accepting the last name is worse than I thought…

“Wait!” Ardein’s voice cut through the conversation as Pelly and him were rounding near the two in their rotating dance. “Oceangem?! What are you talking about?” His face was a cloudy storm of furrowed brows and squinting eyes as he stared at the Sym.

“We welcomed you, and Pelly befriended you and you claim our name?” Ardein almost screamed in Selene’s face. His hot spittle splattered like venom across her face. Fortunately the music was loud enough that no one else could hear as Pelly dragged Ardein and Selene away from Duncan and down the path on to the beach.

“Excuse us,” She murmured sweetly at the amused and confused smirk of the Svefran mage.

The three toppled out of the party and onto the moonlit beach.

“Ardein! Before you get angry, I was the one who introduced Selene as an Oceangem.” Pelly said matter-o-factly. Just like Pelly to think this settles the issue. I can’t believe she didn’t think it through before she introduced me. This is obviously something she should have known her pod’s feelings about Selene glared through her thin black eyebrows at the naïve glowing face of her blond friend.

“I can’t believe you didn’t know they would get mad!” Selene screamed at Pelly, taking out her shame and embarrassment on the mother. Pelly’s eyes immediately brimmed with tears and Selene grinned inside maliciously, So what? You cry at everything. Should I really feel bad about making you hurt after you embarrassed me like that? I didn’t even want to use your last name - I didn’t think it was right to begin with.

Word Count: 440
Selene Curare
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Selene Curare on May 30th, 2020, 5:51 pm

“You deserve to love again sweetheart. Bless you. I’m sorry,” He whispered back, and shot a glance Selene couldn’t read at the Sym.

“I should go and leave you two,” He announced before picking his way back to the party.

Once he had left the only sound between the two women was the ache of Pelly’s heart, the confusion and pain in Selene’s bones, and the crash of Laviku’s waves.

“I’m sorry Pelly…thank you for letting me use your name…but I don’t think it’s a good idea,” Selene whispered into the silence glancing at Ardein’s retreating back.

Pelly sat down and gestured to the spare sand at her side, “Sit down Selene,” her voice was quiet and Selene had never heard the Svefra call her Selene before once Seal had been adopted. Selene followed her command and sat down. Pregnant silence filled the space between them and the little Sym leaned against the shoulder of her big-hearted friend.

“I’m going to die Pelly…” Selene admitted, “I knew using your name was wrong…not using my own last name…Curare…was so hard. But, I was scared my husband would find me and take her back to Kalinor. I thought using your name would help me…it was so big-hearted of you to offer. But, I should have followed up. We should have discussed it. When she comes,” She ran her fingers over her stomach as tears watered the being growing within her. “I’m going to die…Sym don’t survive…births, and when I die…I thought if I had your last name she might have someone to take care of her here,” She whispered hugging her stomach.

“Oh Seal…” Pelly cradled the Syms sharp angled face in her hand and all thoughts of her admitted love vanished. She needs a friend right now…not a lover Pelly realized.

Taking the Sym’s chin in her fingers she tilted the little woman’s face toward hers. The sun caught the pale skin making her eyes and face glow as the moon. “You’ll have someone here for her. You’ll have me. I’m not going anywhere.” Pelly swore, running a finger in a small x over her breast, “Cross my heart.”

Why? Why would she do this? But she couldn’t speak through the sobs the words had rendered from her. The two sat on the beach together until long after the party had dispersed, weeping into each other’s arms. As they helped each other back to the bungalow they smelled, before they saw, the patches of vomit around the bungalow.

“Looks like people had fun,” Pelly enthused.

“Mmm…I think that has less to do with fun and more to do with my food…” Selene admitted, wrinkling her nose.

They fell into heavy slumber tangled together without another thought for the mess outside.

Word Count: 459
Selene Curare
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets