[Flashback] In mysterious fathoms below

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Selvaria on March 6th, 2011, 6:08 am

Timestamp: 486 AV Spring

ImageLararia was beaming a smile at him, telling him that the fight was over. He was standing at the door, standing proud as a male, trying to gain the upper hand.
"It is time," she said lovingly, cooing in a voice that had always tugged at his heart strings. "It is time," a little bit of frown, "I must not be delayed any longer."

Garamon and Fere rarely agreed about things. Garamon had a little Konti pacifism in him, Fere was a warrior in deed and in heart. The one thing they shared most was their love for Lararia, and even with that they have had their own arguments. Though they both loved Lararia, they could not allow her to give birth to the child at sea. At sea? How preposterous!! Fere, the fiercer of the two, ranted to Garamon, "What if the child drowns?!"

Garamon, certainly the more intelligent brother, answered back "She will be giving birth to a Konti, my brother. I am sure that the child will bear gills. But you are right, though a Konti could breathe underwater as good as any other fish, it does not make me any less worried." Fere was not going to lose his dominance, "Yes our daughter might be able to swim, but what if the waves drag her out to sea, where she will be hunted by some flesh eating creature?" He thought about how small their baby will be, how vulnerable - such a fragile being!

They had always argued about pointless things, disagreed and debated, but right now they were worried, very worried, about the safety of their daughter. Why couldn't Lararia bear her child in Godiva's Refuge or at the Gilia Medical Center? Why had she insisted that she bear her child at sea? If she wanted to give birth in water, Garamon and Fere could find a large tub.
"But it wouldn't be the same," Lararia had insisted many times before, "I have to give birth in the sea."

Lararia's pregnancy did not dampen her beauty. Though her body was plump with a baby, she still carried herself with finesse. Her long straight white hair was tied onto a braid, and the length of it ran down in front of her belly. She was proud to be pregnant, proud to bear the seed of her love with these two souls in front of her, who were both ignoring her sweet smile and persuasive hugs.

"Everything is going to be alright. Laviku smiles upon all Varanti daughters." She said, and Garamon grunted at her. Lararia's marriage to Garamon and Fere was not without any marital woes. She still disagreed with Garamon's decision to sire children with other women, but she had loved them both too much, and understood the necessity of reproduction for Akalaks. Sure, they occasionally made her jealous with their women, but they - especially Fere, who is loyal and faithful to his wife - did not think that it compared to their resentment against Lararia's devotion to Laviku. Not that the Akalak resent Laviku himself, but must Lararia really devote their child's first breath under the water?

She was now tugging at their arms. Garamon and Fere were both sharing her attention, twin souls sharing one body, as she kept on insisting to be let out. She knew she could really go out if she wanted. Lararia had strength in her, and she had the fight in her if she needed it. But she was conserving her strength for childbirth, and she was never really the kind to use force to get what she wants, even if she was pretty confident that her smooth tongue would force Fere, and then Garamon, to do as she pleaded.

"Lararia." Fere spoke, clearing his throat. He was angry at her, at her inability to understand their simple request. He found it very insulting that Lararia claimed that there would be no other safer place to give birth to their little star than in the Suvan sea. But at the same time, his rock of a heart was feeling sorry that he had to stand against her wish. Gods, how he loved this woman. "We cannot allow you to put yourself in danger. The sea may have embraced you with its arms, but we do not like to gamble upon its raging waves."

Garamon interjected, even before Lararia attempted to deny the dangers of giving birth at sea, "I'll bring you to Gilia myself. And make sure that all your requests, no matter how trivial, will be seen to." His voice said that his decision was final.

"Garamon, Fere," she pleaded to them both, "Put your faith in Laviku for once."

Yeah, like that could happen.
And she said, "I will only surrender my heart to the man who can make me surrender my suvai."

Be Family! | My Character Sheet
Selvaria
Please don't tell my Father.

Words: 15132
Joined roleplay: October 4th, 2010, 2:50 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet

Postby Selvaria on April 7th, 2011, 7:44 am

Lararia told her husband that she will bear a Konti child, that she had seen it in a Vision. But she never told them the latter half of it...

A babe Konti was sitting inside a large shell sitting on her bosom, scratching at Avalis' gnosis, a twirling Lily upon its navel. It seems like the babe was crying because of it, like she didn't want the gnosis there, like it was a cause of suffering. The baby cried and cried, until the mark faded with each sob. And then from afar, the sea stood up and reached for the babe. Lararia felt a wave of fear wash over her, as great as the raging tsunami. The next thing that fell upon her and the child was a sea of fresh lilies, pouring down from the heavens. The giant clam shut tight, protecting the little Konti. In the same vision she saw herself calling out to the sea, and the waves on the shore sang songs with her.

There was more than one way of interpreting what she had Seen, but the one she believed in was a spiritual beckoning. She was quite certain that the child will be born without Avalis mark. Nor Rak'keli. It was rare for Konti not to bear their first Gnosis from either of the two Goddesses, but possible. All things pointed to one direction: Her baby was a child of Avalis and Laviku, but the threads of fate will bring her child out into the sea, closer to father than mother. Lararia decided, without telling this Vision to Garamon and Fere, that Selvaria - that's what she'll name the child - will be guided towards greater faith in the King of the Sea.

It was more of culture than desire, really. The Varanti Konti are known for giving birth to their daughters in the sea. In Mura they have been known to worship Laviku, and giving birth in the ocean is a tribute to the God. But this pregnancy was different, Lararia thought. The child she bore will be more than just a daughter of the Sea, but rather part of the sea herself.

She reached out a dainty webbed hand to her husband, gently touching his bare chest.
"You have to understand that this had been decided." Garamon and Fere silently weighed her words, and met the determination in her eyes. Lararia was prepared to fight them off if need be, but they knew their strength and at her state she could put up a good fight and still lose, "My reasons lie in the heart of a Varanti Konti, and you have to respect that." She was firm. Her face stern as her words roped in centuries of tradition: Varanti Akalak respecting Varanti Konti.

They hesitated, and largely disagreed. Fere overthrew the voice and soul of Garamon and pulled Lararia into a tender hug.
"We are very excited to have a daughter, but we also want to make sure that you are safe. Both of you." He guided his hand upon her belly, and listened to the faint heartbeat of their child. "I hope she is just as strong as you are. Garamon will not like this." He warned, "I don't want to get into more trouble than I already am."

"But you will let me?"
She asked sweetly. Of course, he will. Fere may be a fierce giant when it came to enemies and wild animals, but in front of his lady love he was a smitten kitten.

"I will fight him off to the best of my abilities." And he carried her away, down to the Harbor.
And she said, "I will only surrender my heart to the man who can make me surrender my suvai."

Selvaria

Character sheet

Postby Selvaria on April 11th, 2011, 5:07 am

Fere was known to be quite a fierce warrior, relentless with his two-handed axe, feared for his brute strength. He fell in love with Lararia the instant he saw her, though it took him many years before he was able to admit his feelings for her. The wait was worth it, as soon after they were married they lived happily, with many daughters and sons - a big family that does not shame the Varanti heritage.

It was known that his only weakness was his wife, and as an extension, all the women in the family. He is very protective of the females in the household, admonishing them with great admiration and respect. At times he proved himself bearing a heart as big as his muscles, a man who will give his all and fight his best fight for the women in his life.

He carried Lararia, even as she objected. He talked, huffed rather, as they sprinted towards the sea,
"We have been together for so long, Lararia. And we have had many children before this one. Something about this seem amiss. I can say as much. You know Garamon is the intelligent one." It was true, Lararia knew, between the two souls of his husband, Garamon was the one guided by his intellect. Fere acted on impulse and relied on his instinct. "If there is something you should know, I will tell you," she assured him.

He grunted his suspicion and murmured,
"This does not mean that I share your faith with Laviku."

"I know and I understand," she whispered and touched her husband's cheek. They arrived on a sunny shore, the weather was calm and the breezes were gentle. It was as if this day was specifically arranged for her. Fere gently assisted Lararia to her feet, resisting the urge to inquire more about their daughter. He would not leave room for Garamon to interfere! If Lararia wanted to give birth in the ocean, she will definitely have it. He was a fully doting husband. He should try not to think too much. That was usually when his dark brother comes and imposes on him. They walked together, hand in hand, until they reached a secluded part of the shore. Away in the distance, underwater, was a beautiful seascape. Deep under the sea was Lararia's own special cove, an underwater cavern that serves as a place for retreat.

Lararia stepped away and looked back at him, sending a coy glance over her shoulder,
"This is not my first time giving birth. Believe me, I can manage on my own." Fere did not immediately leave, accompanying his wife until the rolling waves lapped upon their knees. "Worry not," she said, and sent a flying kiss his way.

Lararia waded on her own steps sure and certain. She traded her agility for caution, making her path through a swimming route she had already memorized. Her silver braid disappeared in a sea of rolling white-capped tides. Past fishes and corals, she sashayed underwater, belly trembling of an impending ache. She plodded onwards and swirled herself to enter her cove, where the light from outside splashed colored rays upon the entrance.

She settled herself on a bed of corals and prayed to Avalis. She had yet to understand why the child will be without Vision, and there was no better way to understand destiny than to let it unravel on its own. She breathed, called out in pain, sending bubbles to dance with the rippling water. Lararia was supporting herself with her elbows, hip bones expanding as the child slowly pushed itself in between her pelvis. Lararia was taught that waterbirth helps in pain management, where the water provides support for the child coming out - more natural and less traumatic for Konti of the sea. Lararia called out to Laviku, and in the same prayer she placed her daughter's fate on the Sea God. She stretched her legs open and prepared herself to catch the child. This wasn't her first childbirth, and her body had already memorized the rhythm of giving unassisted birth.

Then she felt something wrong. Where there should have been a baby's head, she felt tiny buttocks. She worried a little, and yelped out a cry of pain. The babe seem to be in a kneeling position, and descent was not going to be easy. She laid a hand upon her belly, and whispered,
"Dear sweet mother Avalis..." Had she interpreted the Vision incorrectly? Instead of what she thought it would be, was the child going to be taken away from her in this very sea?

The babe... in a shell... the raging tsunami... no longer in her bosom...

In that moment she wondered whether she received her Vision so that she will prepare herself for the birth of Selvaria... "My holy Laviku," she said, which was as much as she could exclaim at the moment, "help me." To her aid, or perhaps to witness her pain, a school of fishes of pure azure scales and black beady eyes appeared. They glimmered in the faint light as they passed by.

"Aaaahhh!" Lararia tried to breath in steady gaps, letting her gills breathe in a slow and steady rhythm. "Selvaria!" She pushed the baby gently out of her womb, and implored that it would be born into the world safely. The baby's bottom peeked out of her body, and she patiently pushed and pushed. She was alone in the sea, with nothing else to help her but her strong guided faith.

Childbirth was a very intimate moment for a mother. Lararia moved and adjusted her posture to better support the coming of her child. The legs were out now, and they were swiveling gently as they were caressed by the water. The mother devoted her strength in ensuring the safety of the little Konti - her hands and arm positioned in between her legs, ready to support the baby that was about to come out.

With the final release she saw the tiniest hint of a smile, and the tiny bubbles of Selvaria's first breath.

Her gentle hands caressed the babe and delivered it near her bosom, her fears were quelled. With the other hand she supported the length of the babe, pressing it against her own body. She touched the baby's chest, checking for the soft heart beats, lovingly touching the tiny webbed hand, nudging the soft cheeks, tracing the mini-scales adorning the pale skin.

The babe found its peace, in what seem to be a soundless sleep upon her bosom, and Lararia decided that she would like to be a little bit selfish and spend more time alone with her new daughter. Garamon and Fere can wait.

Selvaria

Character sheet