The 2021 Miz NaNoWriMo Signup!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum contains all the NaNo threads from years gone past. Thus far we have only 2011 archived! But hopefully we'll have a ton more forthcoming as the years go by and NaNo's come and go.

Moderator: Traverse

Postby Allassanachassanya on November 7th, 2021, 7:37 pm

I'll try and get as far as I can, seems a good way to get up and running again. :)

Plotnote NANO tracker
All 's' sounds are hissed in Ssanya's speech.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya
Sifting through the bones

Words: 232144
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 1st, 2021, 1:49 am

It's the last day of NaNo Folks!

Let's hear it! Who finished? What was your biggest obstacle to overcome? What are you most grateful for at this time? Talk about NaNo and what kind of experience it was!

Prizes are coming this week for all those who finished!

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Alric Lysane on December 1st, 2021, 4:27 am

My biggest obstacle was getting to know Alric as we are both new. I am most grateful to my writing partners for their help in getting a sense for Alric and developing him in the most awesome ways. I feel sure they will be referenced often in the coming season as he works himself out further.

To quote Vinne Jones in Lock Stock - It's been emotional

Final wordcount - 81,546 here
~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Ari'Ellin on December 1st, 2021, 7:42 am

Whelp I didn’t even make it to 10k this time, possibly the worst I’ve ever done in any nano
But, it was still fun to try and it was even more fun to watch and keep track of everyone else

I think this November I learnt that it’s important to take a little time for yourself, otherwise you run a high risk of burning yourself out.

A massive thank you to everyone who threaded with me over this time, and thank you so much more for your patience with me
Ari'Ellin
Player

Words: 151855
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2020, 10:31 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Zach Grasswind on December 1st, 2021, 9:40 am

I made it to just over 20K - tracker here.

My biggest obstacle was not something I had control over unfortunately, with a difficult bereavement and my sister having major surgery both in November! But I am grateful to have actually participated at all, as writing when I had the time and mindset to was a wonderful escape. I've got some fun idea planned with some people for the upcoming seasons :)

Well done to everyone who participated, and congrats to those who hit 50k+!
Zach Grasswind
What’s a tree?

Words: 193110
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Asterope on December 1st, 2021, 1:54 pm

Grand total: 13,323 words

I wanted to try and get at least half the wordcount done, but unfortunately November also tends to be the time for midterm exams and essays, and school kicked my butt hard this month. After a long period of not getting any writing done for numerous reasons, though, I'm happy to have gotten as many words done as I did.

Congrats to everyone who finished, and good job everyone else for trying! You all did great. :D

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on December 2nd, 2021, 1:38 am

Happy Nano end!

Final Word Count: 50,565
Made it to the 50k goal!

Biggest obstacle was the mad rush at the end to finish up the last week or so, which was due to not managing to get ahead/a buffer early on. Will definitely try for that next year.

Most grateful for my thread partners, I definitely would not have been able to make it without all of them! I post much faster, longer, and better with another person involved and the numerous threads really helped. Plus I got to meet a lot of people from that, work on some skills, and enjoy some great threads.

Congrats to everyone else who made it as well, and good job for everyone who made their best effort!

Moritz Craven
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Tazrae on December 2nd, 2021, 1:55 am

NaNo 2021 In The Bag!

Hey All.

My final word count was just over 51K. I didn't think I could do it this year because I was coming off of a long hiatus with the pandemic situation and work.

My lessons are hard ones to swallow. Work routinely kicked my butt with ungodly hours and didn't let up for the whole of November. In better years I've had a word count of well over 100K with mostly solos and skill-building. I didn't do much of that this year at all. Instead, I was busy building a character background and structure, fleshing out my PC's personality, and deciding what was actually important in my real life versus my Miz life.

Before... I was all about the stats and making sure I had a PC that could back up their ideas or big mouths with actions. When I made this character, I wanted someone who was more laid back, less angry, less frustrated, and someone who is content with where they are in life.

That's a hard role for me to play. It's harder still to be a character that is less of a person and more of a concept. With Tazrae, I took the character concept to the extreme, and to that end, it's even leaked into the character's internal dialog with themselves and the interactions they have with others. It's weird, but not in a bad way. It's just the first character of this kind I've played...

My other NaNo lesson was that I miss writing and need writing in my life to be healthy mentally. I've been more together this month even with the long hours and brutally busy days at work than I have been in the last four months where I've barely had time to post. I had less time in November but still made enough time to write 50K. That tells me my priorities need to be rearranged for my hobby to succeed.

I've also forgotten how cool it is to help someone with a backstory or fleshing out and watch them react and be excited about scenarios... it gives a whole lot back to me to see someone happy like that. I need to make more people happy and to that end-run more quests or personal threads even if it means less time on my PC.

The whole old saying "You reap what you sow." Is so true in this instance. Make people happy. Be happy. It's a simple formula but it's a powerful concept. I wasn't mad at all during NaNo. And traditionally I have a huge bad temper especially in the face of stupidity. I witnessed a lot of stupidity and honestly, none of it triggered me to snap. I just got really happy repeatedly from word counts going up and stories unfolding.

Happy December everyone!
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Allassanachassanya on December 7th, 2021, 11:34 am

My not so grand total was... 12,789!

It was fun to get into the writing spirit again. This year I never thought I would finish the full thing, and I didn't. Having only just rejoined, my challenge was to get to grips with writing posts again, and what on earth I'm doing with my PC. However, it was great to get some posts out, and to get back into the swing of things. It was also lovely to see everyone else's writing blooming.
All 's' sounds are hissed in Ssanya's speech.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya
Sifting through the bones

Words: 232144
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 7th, 2021, 2:30 pm

Rewards will be posted this week. I think for the finishers we will have a Gossamer's Cauldron.

They'll be some tokens for those that tried.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

PreviousNext