Solo Control

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Control

Postby Anima Nehal on April 29th, 2016, 4:25 am

5th of Spring, 516 AV at High Spirits

“So what you’re saying is, I’ve been selfish and lazy and I need to take responsibility for my actions. Got it.”

Nessela sighed, her head held up and resting on her palms, elbows on the wooden table. It didn’t look like there would be much progress today, but the old Konti was patient. She drummed her fingers against her cheeks as she waited for Anima to continue.

“Look, Ness, I give up. I don’t know what else you want me to tell you! I just—”

“It’s fine,” Nessela interrupted, her voice calm. “We’ve come across this block before, child. You know what you have to do. So just do your best. And remember, you're not alone in this world,” she paused, looking up at the spirit with kind eyes, her laugh lines crinkling in the corners. “We’ve all made mistakes, we’ve all suffered from one thing or another,” she pushed back her chair and slowly stood up, placing her hands on the table to steady herself.

“Right, sure. Except death is supposed to end suffering,” Anima muttered. She knew Nessela could hear her. This conversation felt like a circular prison that she could never escape from; if it wasn’t happening with the Konti, it was happening in her head. Same advice, same rhetoric, no real solution.

“You’ve chosen this—”

“Yes Ness, I’ve chosen to continue my suffering. No, don’t patronize me, I know what you were going to say, you’ve said the same thing to me for six months now, ever since my mom made you drag me in here — I wanted to figure shyte out, so here I am — I’m here to complete whatever it is that my stupid soul wanted to CLING to so petching desperately because we ALL know that I just couldn’t DIE until my life had some INSANE sense of meaning.” Anima’s form flickered and expanded, solidifying as the echo of her voice grew louder. The room’s dim light reflected off of her edges and seemed to fade and brighten in tune with the flurry of emotions that crossed her face.
“Did I get that right, Nessela?! Did I understand your lesson-of-the-day?! NO?! NOT AGAIN?! GREEAAT!!! THANKS!! I’LL TRY AGAIN TOMORROW, KAY?!!”

The agitated sarcasm in her voice was palpable. Lingering spirits in the sitting area stopped what they were doing to turn and watch the mini-tantrum unfold.

“Anima, sweetie, how about we—”

“We WHAT? CALM DOWN?! SUUURE, why don’t I just float over to the rest of my fellow degenerates and oh, I don’t know,” she rushed to the other end of the table where an amused-looking wraith sat with a book open in front of him. “I’ll read, how about that?” Anima stood beside him as he watched her, beaming with gleeful recognition of her mental state. She reached out her hand and condensed the mist in her fingers to help her flip the page. “There, see? Ooh, wow, I’m learning SO much,” she kept flipping, page after page.

“Throw it,” urged the wraith, his smile so stretched that it seemed almost freakish.

“Oh ya? Fine, why not?! Nothing else seems to be working, how about I blow off a bit of steam, eh? You okay with that Ness?” she asked, her mocking tone so audibly full of desperation. Nessela took a deep breath and walked casually towards the storeroom, pretending to ignore the spirit’s hysterics while still seeming entirely serene.

Anima hesitated. The Konti had walked out of view, and her audience merely consisted of a handful of other unfamiliar ghosts looking on as if they were taunting her to follow through. It was too late to back out now, she thought.

With one forced heave, Anima pushed the book with both her solidified hands, intending to hurl it off the table. Instead, it slid to the edge and dropped in a pitiful thud. The room burst with laughter.

“So how’d that feel, doll? Better now?” asked the wraith, bending over to pick up the leather-bound print. His smile was still plastered but less crazed than before. “Anima,” he spoke low, leaving the others to go back to their business. She took a good look at him: shoulder-length wavy blond hair with a beard, blue eyes, no shirt, brawny. An older man of a commoner’s descent, she guessed.

“You need to practise if you wanna transmute that anger. More practise, more control, more power. Watch this,” he winked with a wicked grin. Anima crossed her arms, sulking, still upset with her embarrassing display of fury and somewhat wary of what she was about to see. The man raised his hands and turned to the bookshelf on his left. Translucent tendrils shot out from his shroud of mist and latched onto eight leather spines, covering them with his self-made substance. He yanked hard, whipping the books into the air, sending them flying above their heads. The strands of mist seemed to vanish, but the books were still covered in a luminous cloud as they swirled around the room, moving faster and faster.

“Roy, drop it,” Nessela called out, still in the storeroom. The man chuckled and continued to wave his hands as he maneuvered the books through the air.

All of a sudden, an arrow whirred past Anima’s eyes and launched straight into the blond man’s throat. He soared backwards in a blink of an eye before being pinned to the back of the wall, instantly dropping all the books to the floor.

Nessela stood by the head of the table with her light crossbow in hand,

“That’s enough, thank you.”
Anima Nehal
Player

Words: 7878
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2016, 1:15 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet