[Pluckett's Scrapbook] Three Frogs in a Trenchcoat

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Pluckett on September 8th, 2019, 2:21 am

3 Frogs in a Trenchcoat

Welcome to my scrapbook!
This is my OOC scrapbook for the pile of frogs totally normal human being that runs this account!
This is where I'l post IRL updates, musings, and other nonsense that I feel is worth sharing.

I guess I'll start this off with the obligatory "interview":
Name: Gabrielle, or "Gubs", or "you, with the eyes"
MBTI: INTP
Sign: Aries
Favorite Animal: Take a guess.
PCs:Pluckett, Bricken

I also have cystic fibrosis, which for those of you who don't know, is a chronic and genetic condition where cells do not produce a protien that controls chloride entry into the cell. In layman terms, my body doesn't handle salt right, which messes up a lot of basic functions, primarily that I produce extra thick, tough mucous that clogs my lungs and pancreas. Breathing and digesting are not my strong suits. Despite this, I'm very healthy for someone my age with CF thanks to modern medicine.

Last but not least, here are the ground rules for my scrapbook (subject to updates):
  • Stay respectful, follow site rules and expectations
  • Have a good time
Pluckett
If I cannot fly, let me sing.

Words: 39554
Joined roleplay: May 4th, 2019, 7:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Pluckett on September 8th, 2019, 4:09 am

Fall 519 Writing Goals

I've been on a good many RP sites, but so far Mizahar is by far one of the best.
Why?
It has a very active and dedicated community, and there's a sense of pride in writing good posts with rich character development over making heroes and other RP tropes.
Because of this, I really do want to be more active on the upcoming seasons, and eventually apply to help the site in some way beyond being a player.
My goal is posting at least twice weekly. If I can do that, nearly every week, until Winter starts, I will apply to be a grader. As for word goals, I haven't made a specific one yet. I do plan to do NaNoWriMo during November, at least.

I'm still working to improve my writing, but I've come to accept that you can't start out perfect at anything. My writing will improve with time, and I'm excited to see where my characters go!
Pluckett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Pluckett on September 12th, 2019, 1:25 am

Let's Build the Yasi!

Overview

Previously posted on Bricken's account in the Wind Reach subforum, moved here for organization and scrapping together

If you weren't present for the Discord discussion, we're getting yasi this season! Someone proposed helping develop the yasi, and I decided what better way than as a community? Before submitting to the official NPC/Location/Development thread, I'll probably post concepts and ideas here for others to piggyback or suggest for! Feel free to throw ideas around as well! Most existing concepts are currently located on The Learning Gallery.

I'll keep my list here, feel free to start your own or copy from the code below.

The Kids

Kindergarten
Ages 4 - 6: Kindergarten, basic language started, along with reading and writing. From The Learning Gallery

UNDEVELOPED
Put a kid here!

Basic Class
6 - 8: Basic Classes: history, math, reading, writing, laws of WR, language, falconry (optional), wilderness survival From The Learning Gallery

UNDEVELOPED
Put a kid here!

Advanced Class I
8 - 12: Bendi, more intensive classes built on basic. Start attempting skills to apprentice to: Glassworking, Hunting, Botany, Herbalism/Medicine, Architecture, Fishing, Agriculture, list to be expanded upon. From The Learning Gallery

Iske
Name: Iske
Race: Inarta
DoB: Spring 4, 510 (Age 9)
PoB: Wind Reach
Caste and Title: Yasi
Skills: History 5, Socialization 5
Gnosis: None

A young boy with an endearing personality, most adults in his life find him to be a little charmer. While he doesn't have as much aptitude as his sister, many can't wait to see what comes of him as well. A lot of his personality comes from learned effort due to his sister being regarded for future greatness.

Iska
Name: Iska
DoB: Spring 4, 510 (Age 9)
Skills: Mathematics 5, Drawing 5

Not as much of a people person as her brother but a natural talent at drawing and math. Besides the golden eyes she had since birth, she's shown potential for great things, and many are excited to see what comes of her.

Chovina
Name: Chovina
DoB: Summer 63, 512 (Age 11)
Skills: Animal Husbandry 5, Storytelling 5

A quiet girl who has a natural touch when it comes to animals. She rarely speaks, but when she does it is worth the listen. Her twin died at a young age, making her just a little rough around the edges with socialization.

Thisma
Name: Thisma
DoB: Fall 24, 511 (Age 10)
Skills: History 5, Stealth 5

From birth, Thisma has been treated like a second class citizen due to her dark hair. This has naturally led to a rebellious edge, because her mental and physical capacities show she should be regarded as any other common inarta. She can be argumentative but prefers to just sneak around and cause trouble from behind others' backs. Her reputation will occasionally extend to her brother, Chima, but she loves him dearly nonetheless.

Chima
Name: Chima
DoB: Fall 24, 511 (Age 10)
Skills: Leadership 5, Weapon: Shortbow 5

Although he may not seem it at first, Chima naturally knows how to take charge and is the only member of the class who regularly has shown talent with a bow. He wouldn't admit it, but he holds a slowly growing disdain for his own sister and her risk in potentially hindering his hopes to someday become a hunter.

Advanced Class II: SUBMITTED :
12 - 15: Bendi, continued language. Skills should be chosen or almost chosen. Anyone who has not shown talent or proficiency shall be placed in Dek caste. From The Learning Gallery

I have mostly fleshed out this class, and plan to submit these kids. Feel free to add suggestions before I submit!

Tasi
Name: Tasi
DoB: Spring 4, 505 (Age 14)
Skills: Falconry 15, Weapon: Longbow 5

Tasi is a rambuctious boy who has a natural talent for falconry. He is known among the yasi for being arrogant, but he knows when to back off, especially when dealing with the upper castes.

Avah
Name: Avah
DoB: Spring 4, 505 (Age 14)
Skills: Weapon: Longbow 10, History 5, Falconry 5

Avah is a polite girl. She doesn't show any particular amount of talent, but works hard and takes everything she does seriously. She's known to be a bit of a tattler, however.

Kesara
Name: Kesara
Race: Konti
DoB: Winter 64, 505 (Age 13)
Skills: Glassworking 15, Medicine 5
Gnosis: Divination

Kesara is a Konti girl born to an immigrant woman and her Inarta husband. She has often been teased for her pale complextion and hair, or mockingly asked to tell fortunes. Because of this, she speaks softly, but her interest in glassblowing brings out her words. Although she hasn't developed a particular Konti gift due to being so far from home, she still has Avalis' Gnosis and can 'read' the past of chavi very roughly.

Earin
Name: Earin
DoB: Summer 2, 506 (Age 13)
Skills: Running 5

Earin was pegged as a future dek since the day he could speak (a few months behind with that); he is slow to learn and talks rarely. It often upsets him that he just can't get smart like the other kids.

Vak
Name: Vak
DoB: Summer 2, 506 (Age 13)
Skills: Cooking 10, Falconry 5, Weapon: Shortbow 5

Vak is very studious, and feels sorrow for his twin, Earin. He tries to help his twin where he can, but is too afraid of being seen as unworthy by standing up for him too much. He has a natural talent for cooking and hopes to work as a chef one day.

Other Undeveloped Ideas

• Bendi Calendar/Schedule
  • Yasi Housing
  • Further Contributions TBA
Last edited by Pluckett on September 20th, 2019, 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pluckett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Pluckett on September 12th, 2019, 11:13 pm

On Character Creation

Something that happens a lot on all RP sites that I don't understand the appeal of: creating a character, then plotting out a multi-year story for them to live through with specific events that have to happen a certain way.
It's partially because my dislike of long-term planning, as well as my love for taking chances and letting things grow organically.

My advice to new people to Mizahar, as well as RP in general: let yourself make a character. Write their backstory, their personality, their appearance, skills, all that. Then stop there. Don't plan their goals beyond "they want to do this, and they already can do this". That's it. Stick them in a city, give them a job, then post an open thread where they explore the city and see what happens.

Why do that instead of planning their entire arc?

Because Mizahar is a rich site full of storytellers and fellow players who write all sorts of fun plots to get involved with! If you've doomed your character to following a specific path right out the gate, it'll be harder to weave in city plots or let other players form relations with them.
I think the thing I'm getting at is this: your character is not (just) a protagonist. They're also an antagonist to any rivals, a deurotagonist to another player who they befriend, maybe a total stranger or a key for another player to get what they want. This give-and-take reflects reality, and it's fun. If you want your character to fly solo all the time and follow their specific planned story, why even join a collaborative site? Just write them for yourself at that point.

Am I saying only make boring, one-dimensional characters with no goals? Nope! Just don't plan out their every move from now until death. Maybe your character is a selfish psychopath that only sees other people as objects to use to obtain their goals - play them like that and see where it goes! Pull other PCs in, get your social skills built, figure out how to work them into making your PC get what they want. Does your character want to be the very best at X ever? Make them work hard to get there. But, give them time to smell the roses and get wrapped up in an affair with another PC. Don't just use NPCs to build your character or their story. Let others change your vision.

I don't know. I love seeing how other characters work mine into their personal plots, and doing the same in return. It adds a lot of fun and interactivity to the normally solitary activity that is writing.
Pluckett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Pluckett on September 24th, 2019, 1:27 am

Taking a Short Break

Hey there! This is just an announcement that I'll be going on haitus for a little bit. It could be just for a couple days, or maybe a week, but I promise I'll have an update soon.
I won't get into the reasons at this time, there's a good bit of personal reason as well as a need to clear my mind a little bit of recent happenings and find a writing bug again. I wanted to keep up with my weekly post counts, but I'm not yet sure when I'll be back! I care a lot about my characters and their plots, but I don't have it in me to keep going for a little while and think I've just been Miz'd out for a week or so.
Pluckett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dash on September 24th, 2019, 1:54 am

we'll miss you :'(
Dash
Wolf Breath

Words: 50566
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2019, 8:44 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Pluckett on September 24th, 2019, 1:56 am

bye

You know what?
I'm not sugar-coating it.
I'm not going to pull wool over my eyes and pretend nothing happened.
I decided I'm leaving.

I didn't want to. I DON'T want to. There are so many richly talented writers on here. So many plots I wanted to pursue. So many things I want to see happen.
Bricken learning reimancy. Him adapting to life at Wind Reach and eventually finding a place in the world.
Pluckett's fate in the Lhavit mystery. I wanted to pursue Rhaus' gnosis with her, eventually, someday. Exploring her past in Syliras when it opened.
Maybe even potential future characters, doing all sorts of fun things.
Bricken being in school, learning about the city Solstice worked so hard to keep running so beautifully.
The help Solstice provided to me personally as I created Bricken.
Yes, I'm using names. I'm not hiding behind "so and so" because this isn't a place for passive aggressive note-passing.
Solstice did nothing but help me. I don't care who said what. I go by what I experienced.

Dash. I'm very sorry. You had a lot of potential, and I'm sure you'd shape up to be a really fun and passionate thread partner.
My advice? Mizahar is just a game. Mean things were said, I'm aware, not of the full story. But it's a rough place sometimes. It should be a place we go to escape drama of real life and just pretend to be things and people we're not and never would be, and explore a world we'll never have of our own.

Gossamer. I liked you. I looked up to you. I thought you were rough around the edges - but with good reason. You built a beautiful world that I loved putting characters into and interacting and I was even looking forward to joining the staff at some point.
But.
I'm not going to join a staff under someone that will ban me over a simple spat and cover it up with "oh no, they must have left" and not give any apology.
That's immature. That's awful.

And that's it. The drama included 3 people. It should have been discussed by 3 people. This isn't a soap opera. I came here to write, not to pick and choose sides or ignore shit that affects my enjoyment of the game. Because that's what this is. A game.

I'm not going to be part of a game where I have to worry about people ganging up on me for any little thing.
Sorry, Mizahar. I loved you dearly.
Sorry Bricken. I hope you can finally find a purpose.
Sorry Pluckett. I hope you continue to entertain forever more.
Pluckett

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on September 24th, 2019, 2:13 am

I'm sorry your leaving. But there are a lot of things that happen behind the scenes we don't talk about to fuel drama or gossip. I'm not going to go around vilifying someone behind their backs and talk about all the site drama that happens. However, I would like to point out this is hugely inaccurate. You stated this in your scrap. I have NEVER stated this ever.

"I'm not going to join a staff under someone that will ban me over a simple spat and cover it up with "oh no, they must have left" and not give any apology."

If your going to say something is awful, please get your statements correct. I made two announcements in two places. The first place was in the Wind Reach OOC Thread:

"Wind Reach is no longer supported by a Storyteller. Please leave all your requests for jobs and wages in the HD. There will be no answering posts to The Valintar. Feel free to solo out any moderated threads you might have had."

#Wind_Reach channel where I stated...

"GossamerYesterday at 8:00 PM
I wont be closing the city unless all the players leave."

I never went into details. Details aren't necessary, but people are free to approach me and ask. Several have and I've been forthright with them. There was enough talk behind the scenes in chat and the people involved were all talking enough that I didn't feel the need to say anything. However, if you are going to be really mad at me, be mad at me for what I actually say not for a misquote which looks to be an outright lie. Frankly, its not really anyone's business but the three people involved.

And what you need to know from the situation is that your city is now unsupported... but will remain open. I'm sorry you are leaving over ONE SIDE of the story or over perceived actions, but the person you are hurting most by these sorts of reactions is yourself.

Gossamer

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideRiverfallSyka
Special ProjectsSykafall Coordination
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 5810967
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)