Charoda on land?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Charoda on land?

Postby Aydeen Seriden on August 16th, 2011, 4:32 am

I don't believe this question has been asked before, but I'm not sure. Thus, I shall ask it anyway. Just to be sure.

On the Charoda wiki page, it states that Charodae "...are capable of breathing on land, but doing so for extended periods without immersing themselves in water is fatal." My question is, how long would they be able to remain on land? Weeks? Days? Just a few hours or less? And if they couldn't remain on land for over a day without drying up like a fish in the sun, would a Charoda living in a city other than Charbosi live in some underwater dwelling- for example a coral house off the shore? Or would they just have a pool of water inside their home?

If anyone could answer, it would clear up a great many things for me. I don't want to accidentally stay out of the water for too long and become a very dead fishman. Woman.
Aydeen Seriden
Player

Words: 1778
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2011, 3:00 am
Race: Charoda

Charoda on land?

Postby Trios on August 23rd, 2011, 3:19 am

I think you just need to understand where you’re taking your Charoda out of the water. It all depends on the type of climate/weather of the area. Like for example if you were to take your Charoda onto a desert with low moisture, intense heat and direct sunlight, your fishy character would be in dire straits within a very small timeframe. But say your Charoda was traveling on land in high moisture, cool and shady environment you would have way more time before needing to submerse your character’s body in water.

As to specifics down to the hour is up to the storyteller/you to reason out. I think (in my opinion) going by the rate on how fast water is evaporating in the environment is a good indication on when a Charoda’s skin would need to be submersed in water again.

As for a Charoda living in a City other than Charbosi, I say ask the cities AS/DS as to what type of accommodations they would have for your character. Never hurts to check.

Hope this helps, someone chime in if I am making a fool of myself on the idea. lol
THEME
"Look to the gods then look to your hands, if your going to depend on one go with the one that is attached."
Trios
Bow to nothing, live for everything.

Words: 144086
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 1:03 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Charoda on land?

Postby Cayenne on August 23rd, 2011, 1:18 pm

Trios is pretty much correct in this.

It depends on where you are and what the climate is.

In the desert, you're going to suffer quickly. In somewhere like Falyndar, markedly less so, assuming you don't get caught by something looking for a delicious meal. :)
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Charoda on land?

Postby Aydeen Seriden on August 28th, 2011, 4:33 am

Ah! Thank you. That helps a great deal. I can imagine that the desert would be quite the nightmare for a water-dweller... in any case, thanks again. I'll head off to the cities, then. *potters off*
Aydeen Seriden
Player

Words: 1778
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2011, 3:00 am
Race: Charoda