Automatic log-out + post templates

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Lucy on October 6th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Well, now, I don't know if this automatic log-out after a while (5-10mins) is added now, but I haven't noticed it before. Anyway, it's dragging me crazy. This is RPG forum, we need more time to write the post, but it logs us out. And it was ok before, if you go back to the page it reopens everything you wrote, but those post templates change a link and delete everything else because of it. I wrote post in the same thread twice today, and even nor it's my mistake not copying text before trying to submit it, I think other members had problems with this too. Post templates are really great and I love it, so I wouldn't change anything there, but I suppose automatic log-out time should be at least 20 minutes or something. Have anyone else had problem with this?
Lucy
No need to teach an eagle to fly

Words: 48734
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2011, 8:45 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Tarot on October 6th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Sessions last 120 minutes on this forum. Always have and always will. Sounds more like a problem with your ISP. If they change your IP address on the fly, then the site can invalidate your session for security reasons to avoid session hijacking attacks.

Also, do you see a "sid=" + string of numbers and letters at the end of your URLs when you're browsing the site? It's okay to see it on the first page after you've logged in, but seeing it all the time could also cause the problem you're describing.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Lucy on October 7th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Well, I don't have a dynamic IP address, but I see those numbers when I preview a message every time. And I haven't been writing for 120 mins, no way.xP Can I fix those problems with "sid="?
Lucy
No need to teach an eagle to fly

Words: 48734
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2011, 8:45 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Tarot on October 12th, 2011, 7:24 pm

I haven't forgotten about this. It's just that I can't really find the problem. Seeing 'sid' all the time means your cookies aren't being sent to the server, maybe because of security settings. In lieu of cookies, the site has your browser send your session ID to identify you. If you were to click on a link that forgets to include the sid (such as the top menus), you'd get logged out. However, I tested this at work (which blocks Miza and forces me to access the site via IP address, without cookies) and the post preview still works as expected. I may have been inaccurate in my earlier post: the posting page expires after 2 hours if you don't submit the post, but the session itself is only 1 hour long.

What I can realistically do is code the long awaited autosave feature. I've found a reasonable way to do it in HTML5 and that, if nothing else, should be the end of lost posts.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)