Aquisitional Concern

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Re: Aquisitional Concern

Postby Voreasos Alisier on August 22nd, 2009, 3:59 am

Not really as I always hit the mod with a pm or in chat with what I want to do and see if I can or not and if a mod is needed well then we can work on something. I think people should tell there mods what they want to get or ideas and not just take the guess that they can do whatever as the social system might be different to a bad point.
Mizahar- An utopia for writers

Mizahar- Where dreams are tangible
Voreasos Alisier
Player

Words: 32930
Joined roleplay: July 19th, 2009, 6:48 am
Blog: View Blog (8)
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Chaelnomyl on August 22nd, 2009, 4:21 am

I think it is reasonable to have mods require PCs to give heads up via a thread post somewhere for common collection or a PM to make sure. I sure wouldn't want to start self modding a thread in under water basket weaving only to be told that all under water basket weavers are shot and hung on display in public for three days... after I started the thread.

I dunno, I always find it common courtesy to poke mods before I do anything outside of social interaction with other PCs that might be noteworthy, like starting training threads or having ideas for something I'd like to explore, etc. Touching base is just a courtesy but I can see it being a requirement to make sure everything stays kosher in a location, if that sort of thing is outlawed, or would be harder, or would cause you to be chased by an angry mob... or its something you have absolutely no relation to (in Gillar's example a PC that has absolutely no magic history might need to find a book or talk to a NPC for guidance, or a varying number of things so they understand it if they've never encountered it before imo) the skill you are trying to learn.

So yeah - after your clarification there, I totally agree and I think H's suggestion is my preference. That way you guys dont have to track down everyone and instead they come to you saying hey - im gonna do this, is that okay / do you have any suggestions on how i should go about it in your city/wilderness?

*shrugs* :)
In his winding wail and his deep-heaved sigh, his aching grief found vent...
While the sea looked upon the bending sky and murmured,
"I repent..."
Chaelnomyl
Orphan of the Sea and Sky

Words: 58281
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2009, 10:01 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Malia on August 22nd, 2009, 6:32 pm

Personally I don't quite understand the system of experience points (1-100), especially from the training and mod perspective. How do you know how much points to give? And why are there so many? Perhaps it'd help if someone could explain that (in the wiki?) to prevent eventual confusion.

And I agree that players should inform and ask mods about possible self-mod training threads. This way they would know what a training thread actually is about and should contain. I'm even thinking about a note at the wiki skills page or even a new page about training threads ... but I also see the point of people who don't want too much rules.

I guess it's all about the question how much one wants to standardize the skill knowledge of PCs. You either let them do what they think is right or tell them what you think is right. I personally think that the information pages about the skills are a good idea. Players already know what the skill they want to learn is all about and don't have to research everything oocly. Perhaps the skill pages should also contain a section about where the PC could seek the desired knowledge icly?
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Voreasos Alisier on August 22nd, 2009, 6:46 pm

This is mainly for Malia and anyone else.

http://www.mizahar.com/lore/Experience_Points

That is the wiki page for the xp point system
Mizahar- An utopia for writers

Mizahar- Where dreams are tangible
Voreasos Alisier
Player

Words: 32930
Joined roleplay: July 19th, 2009, 6:48 am
Blog: View Blog (8)
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Malia on August 22nd, 2009, 6:50 pm

Uhm, thanks, I noticed it myself a minute or so ago. ^^° This information is indeed very helpful.
Malia
The Remnants

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Tarot on August 23rd, 2009, 7:59 am

Having given more thought to this matter, I've added a new section to the wiki entry for Magic - namely, the do's and don'ts of RPing magic. I think most slip-ups are the product of lack of information rather than any ill will, so we can help a lot by giving guidelines. This is what I came up with - feel free to suggest more.

Do's:

* Try to keep an aura of mystique around your magic, especially around non-wizards. Magic is not normal, nor is it the norm. Make sure it's something that matters to your character concept as opposed to something taken as an afterthought.
* Think before you use magic. Your character risks dying from using it, so he would probably think, as well.
* Think before you include magic in your character's starting package. Who taught it to them? Why? What was in it for them? If it's only at a very low level, why weren't they taught more?
* Think very carefully before giving your PC more than one discipline in their starting package. That's the mark of a professional wizard, and it's what your PC should be.
* Remember that if you are using magic to look for trouble, you will quickly succeed.
* Be cautious around wizards. A lot of people are suspicious of them. There is a potential madman behind most of them.
* Always ask your Storyteller before you write a thread for learning a new magic form. They will tell you what needs to be in that thread or if there are any concerns you need to address.

Don't's:

* Don't assume your character knows everything about magic only because it's neatly explained on these pages. A wiki needs to be comprehensive, but most people know little or nothing about magic. Unless your PC is a wizard, he'd likely not know much either, and even then, his knowledge would be mostly limited to his disciplines.
* Don't take magic unless you are prepared to see your PC changed, messed up, maimed or killed by it. Magic is terribly serious in Mizahar - it's great as long as it works, then it gets horrible.
* Don't complain if any of the above happens to you. If you didn't want it to happen, you shouldn't have taken magic to begin with.
* Don't assume wizards will be eager to teach your PC. They won't. Be prepared to roleplay haggling and convincing them, whether it's a solo thread or a moderated one.
* Don't think you can do magic on the streets without consequences. Mizaharians are often pretty narrow-minded around magic. You would be, too, if something like magic had pretty much destroyed the Earth 500 years ago.
* Don't expect to be able to do much in a pinch with less than 10-15 Experience Points. It's usually better to focus on a few skills than to spread yourself thin on many of them. It will also make your roleplaying much more convincing.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Malia on August 23rd, 2009, 5:53 pm

That looks really good to me! The dangers and disadvantages of magic are clearly explained. I could even imagine players thinking similarly about other skills, just in a more 'damped' way. :)
Malia
The Remnants

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)