[Discussion] The Creation of a Mizaharian Tarot

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gossamer on April 21st, 2010, 10:26 am

The Basic Idea

Recently there's been a lot of talk of Tarot Cards (not the uber cool admin - though we do talk about him!) and PCs using them. We've got so many inquiries that it gave me an idea. We have some incredibly talented Mizaharians on board. Most of you are adept at Photoshop. So... why don't we create a unique tarot deck just for the game to add to the Wiki? I've gotten us started by doing 'The World' which seems fitting for me to be the one to get this going with....

So... would you like to play? I have my original PSD file available via AIM (since I don't know how to host a psd file here). I can even probably find the deviant artist who generously created the group of textures I used... or make that file available to you as well. However, if you want to create a Tarot Card, you have to play by my rules. That means... you need to follow the same format, though images, colors, and frame colors can vary. You also need to write out the description of the card for the Wiki. I'll get into the descriptions a bit later... but there's a ton of great resources on the net for Tarot Cards and their meanings...

So, if you want to claim 'dibs' on a card or comment in this discussion feel free. I'll place your name by the card and you have until SUNDAY to post one up.

Bonus Points if you create spreads. If you don't know what a spread is - perhaps you shouldn't play :)

The Model

Meaning: The World Card represents a coming together, a successful conclusion, a complete accounting, and definitely someone or something coming full circle. A great representation of this is when the races of sentient creatures first realized the harsh weather of the Valterrian had stabilized and started venturing forth from their subterranean habitations. It was the completion of one phase in history and the beginning of another. All four elements are included in this card in abundance and it can often represent a perfect balance or an equilibrium established. People who draw the World in their spreads are often ready for a new phase of their life or even death - which in itself is a new beginning. The World also can indicate a job incredibly well done in which success is inevitable and celebration or praise forthcoming.

The Rules

Size: 4X6
Font: Abaddon Font
File: PSD Tarot Template (PSD File - You Must Have Photoshop CS2)
Texture: Available Here
Dibbs: You must call dibs on your cards in advance or simply post up a completed card if no one has spoken for it.
Limits: You can do as many as you'd like, but only call dibs on one at a time if you want to do them 'later'. When the one you've already called dibs on is complete, then you can call dibs on another one! If your card does not match, we reserve the right to alter it to make it match. Please try as hard as possible to make fonts and styles similar.

The Major Arcana

Fool
Magician - Tarot
High Priestess - Tarot
Empress
Emperor
Hierophant - Dusk
Lovers
Chariot - Gossamer
Strength - Gossamer
Hermit
Wheel of Fortune
Justice - Tarot
Hanged Man
Death - Gossamer
Temperance
Devil
Tower - Tarot
Star - Alice
Moon - Eris
Sun - Gossamer
Judgment
The World - Gossamer

The Suit of Swords (aka Three of Swords)
Ace
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Paige
Knight
Queen
King

The Suit of Wands (aka Three of Wands)
Ace
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Paige
Knight
Queen
King

The Suit of Cups (aka Three of Cups)
Ace
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Paige
Knight
Queen
King

The Suit of Pentacles (aka Three of Pentacles)
Ace
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Paige
Knight
Queen
King
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Eanos on April 21st, 2010, 11:31 am

OK, I know I'm going to regret saying this :) but shouldn't the cards appear to be hand drawn rather than photo style if we are going to create a deck specific to Mizahar?

Is there a reason it would be called the Mizahar Tarot on the cards? I saw a reference to other worlds in chat last night, so would there be other tarots? Just asking like....

Now, I'm not really adding to this conversation am I?
Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Words: 443521
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gossamer on April 21st, 2010, 11:36 am

A. The card I used is actually a combination of a bunch of paintings, not a photograph. But its kinda funny you think its a photo-or photostyled. I wanted the style to look professional, like the rest of the site.
B. The game is called MIzahar... hence the Mizahar Tarot. The other worlds you are talking about have very little influence on Mizahar other than to a few summoner mages who kidnap unsuspecting critters from these worlds.

In reality and in game, people will probably have their own custom made decks or those that are gilded or on stone or on wood or whatever. But its nice to have a visual representation in Mizahar of what a card actually looks like. They can think of it however they want too based on their PC's style and culture.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Tarot on April 21st, 2010, 11:55 am

I found out the directory for file uploads didn't have write permissions, so basically I think attachments have been disabled since we moved servers. I fixed that, so maybe you can upload your .psd file now? If not I'll look into it some more. :)

I see we're going for a direct transposition of RL tarot, right? I think meanings can still be adjusted for the setting, though. For example, the magician (which I'm calling dibs on, btw!) could represent an actual magic user aside from the more philosophical meanings... if that's okay.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Gossamer on April 21st, 2010, 12:09 pm

That sounds fine to me - adding in Mizaharian meanings.

I know, having done one complete original tarot deck for another game, that making up your own deck with your own meanings becomes a pain in the rear because no one uses it and new players that 'haven't found the page' tend to use standard decks anyhow not considering there might be an original one for the game. The lost and confused atmosphere a unique deck caused (even if it was paired down to only major arcana) wasn't worth the work that went into it. It's fun to be different in that regard, but it was a TON of work with very little usage. There are also a lot of programs that will allow you to either get a printed deck if you have the images, or create one yourself on cardstock so if we have a totally complete deck - folks could actually fiddle around with it irl - and do actual readings ....

So thats why I wanted to stick to a standard deck rather than say an oracle format. There can also be 'alternative' decks created like oracle or animal cards etc with all sorts of interesting meanings... but since people keep insisting on Tarot as fortune telling.... oddly I think its because all they see is your name everywhere GP ... we sorta need something in place.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on April 21st, 2010, 4:49 pm

Okay!

Thanks to Tarot's help with file upload and storage - all puns intended - I have the .psd file available. I've also included links on where I got the texture for the card's frame, and what the actual font is and where it is available. Basically, people, I did all the hard work! All you guys have to do is go to town and have fun with it!

Advice: Download and install the textures and font BEFORE you download and open the .psd file. :)

Magician Note: In traditional decks, the Magician and the High Priest/Priestess always represent people of power so your example works brilliantly GP.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alice on April 21st, 2010, 6:03 pm

Cool idea, so we can have something that's produced by the community working together!

I have a question though ... or two. 1) Is it possible for people who don't have PS to design the image, upload it here and someone else adds the frame and fonts? I'd so help to make cards, but I don't want to get PS just because of that. And 2) why don't we find another, more original name for our Tarot Cards? I know that everyone can easily identify with the name Tarot, but for Miza I just want something that sounds more original.
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gossamer on April 21st, 2010, 6:22 pm

I'm open to both ideas...

But, that being said, the name recognition as well as the major and minor arcana, etc... were really hard for people to cross over when renamed and reorganized. I've lots of experience doing 'original stuff' but I don't want to have a factor of frustration (because one of my big things lately is to minimize frustration) of saying finally (after trying to explain something over and over again)... "It's just a deck of Tarot!"... and then the other person says.. "Oh! Well if its a duck, why not call it a duck and avoid all the issues of confusion to begin with?" Like I already pointed out too, everyone in game is already using "Tarot Cards" so its kinda established already. I know of about three pcs so far that either have requests in, are currently in threads where they are reading from Tarot cards, or want to use this as a source of income.

I'd love to hear from them.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on April 21st, 2010, 6:42 pm

Meaning: Syna's light is the illumination that comes after the long dark night of Akajia's shroud of secrets. A positive card, it promises the a person their day in the sun. This card is filled with glory, gain, triumph, pleasure, truth, and success. While Leth's light often symbolizes the subtle or hidden, Syna's light shines on discoveries made and brings them into full view. Her card is the energetic drive of science and math, beautifully constructed music, and carefully reasoned philosophy. The Sun is card of clarity of mind, and feelings of energy that will never run out.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on April 21st, 2010, 7:05 pm

Also, here's a plain frame at the request of the GIMP users.

Totally Plain

With Abaddon Text At Top To More Easily Match It
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next