[Discussion - Opinions Needed] Medals & Awards

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Re: [Discussion - Opinions Needed] Medals & Awards

Postby Malia on August 22nd, 2009, 6:48 pm

I like the idea of different awards with pretty medals, but I'm slightly concerned - if medals are given every month, wouldn't it be logical that one day the players are flooded with medals? I mean, of course there are new players registering (I hope so!), but every month is ... too much. In my opinion, four times or six times a year would work better. :)

And the "art book" idea is wonderful! So that would be a gallery showing drawn scenes from threads, right?
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Ursus Umosa on August 23rd, 2009, 11:20 pm

Malia- I think ideally it would be just that.

I also agree that with Malia that monthly awards might be too much to expect- especially since some threads take months to finish. Maybe instead season awards?
We've got the power to bring you down
Ursus Umosa
Player

Words: 12054
Joined roleplay: July 23rd, 2009, 2:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Javen Vyta on August 27th, 2009, 1:29 am

I have a suggestion here - and I truly do love the concept.

For 'unique achievement threads' - such as a storyline accomplishment centered on one thread series, perhaps some storyline specific 'medal' could be awarded, or perhaps a 'fame'/'infamy' system.

For example, Heroicus the Knight and his party save a village from bandits, and he is awarded 1 'fame' point - which would be noted from that point forth on his CS along with the area he was awarded it in. Meanwhile, another player, Herod the Bandit, did an admirable job in the attempted pillaging, despite being thwarted by Heroicus, so he receives 1 'infamy' point. As the character advances in fame/infamy the chances that he becomes known increase.

A character with 5 fame points might something of a local celebrity. Meanwhile, a villain with 10 infamy points would be known for his villainy region-wide.

Over time some character may have both fame and infamy, and these would not cancel out. Rather, just like in real life, these dual natured characters might be feared in Sunberth for his 5 villainy there but loved in Zeltiva for his 6 fame there.

This is a double-edged sword, however, for as one accumulates fame/infamy, he also gathers attention - and with attention comes both inherent friends and enemies.

Taking this a step farther would be a reputation system with various factions that a player encounters - slightly more complicated to track, but still doable.

Thoughts?
Javen Vyta
Wandering Healer

Words: 8518
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2009, 5:42 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Javen Vyta on August 30th, 2009, 8:22 am

The test medal looks very nice
Javen Vyta
Wandering Healer

Words: 8518
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2009, 5:42 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Niall Raghnall on September 3rd, 2009, 8:10 pm

I don't see an issue with monthly medals. It may takes a few months to finish a thread; but at the end of each month, there will be threads that have been completed in that month qualfying them for medal potential. Truthfully, work on the quality of the RP and goal of the thread and ust let medals deal with themselves :)

Javen I think you're onto something really interesting when discussing fame and infamy. I've no ide if it will work, but I do love the concept. In some aspects fame would be an outward sign of a knight's honor. A potential tool for RP both as an advantage and a disadvantage. Infamous theives will have a harder time establishing themselves in a new city if their 'infamy' has gotten too big. Same would be true for a famous hero trying to walk into sunberth. I'd like to hear more on the idea.
Niall Raghnall
Player

Words: 19913
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2009, 7:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Previous